• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Banned
I could see a world map sphere popping up solely for when you choose to use Highwind but it's looking like another thing that might cause a lot of fans to be like..........

anigif.gif

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
A friend of mine just told me something rather amusing.

"I bet if you fulfill Don Corneo's requirements for choosing Cloud in the remake, he looks like Lightning."

Turin

Banned
A friend of mine just told me something rather amusing.

"I bet if you fulfill Don Corneo's requirements for choosing Cloud in the remake, he looks like Lightning."

Lol. Perhaps.

I hope Cloud has sharper facial features like he did here for some reason:

1868585-cloud_strife.jpg

In AC and a lot of other stuff he does look like Lightning and it bothered me a little bit.

Two Words

For the reveal, Hashimoto should have leaned more into trolling FFVII and come out with the Shinra Corporation music playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj0F2KfCvhg

He goes up to the audience, and starts talking about how many of the classic FF characters are still so dear to the fans of the series. Talk about how fans want to see these characters again and how Square Enix plans to do that. The Shinra music will be playing through all this. Then he shows the World of Final Fantasy trailer as a "here you go, it's what I said."

481409iLmAyOFGnAGWH.gif

Hashimoto laughs as the audience is displeased. Then he reveals the FFVII remake.

Miang

Probably talked about, but this was interesting.

Adam Boyes, head of third-party developer relations at PlayStation, told me at E3 that he’s known about Square’s Final Fantasy VII remake for a year. It was a fun secret to keep.

Sony officials knew about the forthcoming remake for about a year, well before the notorious December announcement of the port of the PC port of the original FFVII to PS4. What was supposed to be a fun announcement about the polished PC version of the ‘97 PSOne classic coming to PS4 became a moment of dashed expectations. Final Fantasy producer Shinji Hashimoto at appeared on stage at the big PlayStation Experience fan event, started introducing something FFVII-related to suddenly-shocked fans... only to then reveal that he was just talking about a PC port, not the long-demanded remake. Fans in the audience seemed bummed. Teased, maybe. Trolled, perhaps. It was unintentional, Boyes said. “You learn with these things.”

lmao wat? there is no way they couldn't know what the reaction would be, surely?

OmegaDL50

A friend of mine is believes that Nomura is incapable of juggling between KHIII and FF7:Reunion at the same time.

I believe Tai Yasue can fill in Directorial duties when Nomura focuses on FF7:R, which should lessen the directorial role substantially, with Kitase and Nojima providing input on FF7:R as well.

Tai Yasue did co-directorial duties alongside Nomura on both Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Re / Chain of Memories, and is also co-directing KHIII, so he has the credentials, and can assume full control if Nomura moves on to FF7:R full time.

Also it's not like FF7:R is an entirely new game that needs an all new written story, characters, world concept for it. They already have a template to work from. It's much easier to develop a remake then compared for example developing an entirely new game with no pre-existing story or world entirely from the ground up.

It took Tabata and the new team of staff roughly 3 years to get FFXV from conceptual stages and some bits and pieces carried over from Versus in 2012 to an actual playable demo in 2015. If we assume it's release date Holiday 2016. That would be a 4 and half year development cycle for an entirely new game built from the ground up. Also this factors if there was very little assets to borrow from Versus to begin with, Stella / Luna was removed from the game, most of the story is being rewritten, and they have a partially playable game in the form of a Demo in 3 years despite the scraps and overhauls happening.

From what I understand based on recent interviews and according to what Kagari said earlier in the thread with the Siliconera leak, FF7:R has been in development for at least one year (6 months prior to the FF7 Steam version for PS4 announcement with Hashimoto trolling the entire audience) and a 2017 release would coincide with FF7's 20th anniversary.

So if this is true, then going by that timeline, June / July 2014 is when FF7:R development started, and if a 2017 supposed release date (say it happens in January 31st to meet the same day as FFVII back in '97) That would be 2 and a half years.

If FF7:R was an entirely new game with nothing established, needing write an all new story and make an all new setting, lore, and universe, I'd say a 2.5 years from development to start is very unrealistic, but since this is a remake with an existing world, characters, and lore. It seems much more feasible perhaps.

We are getting more information come Winter, so I look forward to see what they are going to show off to us, and if the timeline is correct. This Winter would mean the game was in development for at least a year and a half, so there should decent amount of things to show...I hope.

Lol what kinda of reaction did Boyes expect? How the hell could they not have seen it coming?

Seriously. It's like if a pharmaceutical company hyped up a new pill by suggesting it's an instant cure for cancer, then acted surprised at the backlash when they revealed that it actually alleviates hiccups.

It's OK now since we are getting the remake, but dear Lord watching that PS4 port reveal was a kick in the teeth.

jiggle

Seriously. It's like if a pharmaceutical company hyped up a new pill by suggesting it's an instant cure for cancer, then acted surprised at the backlash when they revealed that it actually alleviates hiccups.

It's OK now since we are getting the remake, but dear Lord watching that PS4 port reveal was a kick in the teeth.
I love it
Such an amazing ttroll moment
And the lowered expectations just made the euphoria all the more greater lol

Nibel

The trailer is sitting at 8.35 million views now and it's still growing.

This is the most watched Final Fantasy video in YouTube history.

OmegaDL50

There is a huge Texas on the exterior of the bar too.

7th_Heaven.jpg

I don't know what the Gold LED writing supposed to mean either. Looks like it says "Cyler"

Despite these signs the bar is called the Seventh Heaven. A shame there isn't some sort of dev diary that explains these signs.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
WallMarket-ffvii-diner.png

And Korea.
I forgot about that... These are the kind of real world details that I forgot were so mindblowing at the time this game were new.

The following things were insane additions to JRPGs at the time:
-TVs and news media
-cars and motorcycles
-men in business suits
-neon signs
-corporations
-pinball tables and arcade games
-rock music boss battle theme
-a sex club
-skyscrapers
-machine guns
-scientists

Someone a few pages back brought up the point that XV is the only "fantasy based on reality"... But it really began with VII, and it was in a time when those additions were even more insane. I think we often forget how alien these elements were to the genre back then....

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
There is a huge Texas on the exterior of the bar too.

7th_Heaven.jpg

I don't know what the Gold LED writing supposed to mean either. Looks like it says "Cyler"

Despite these signs the bar is called the Seventh Heaven. A shame there isn't some sort of dev diary that explains these signs.

Tyfer Bar

OmegaDL50

Pls get Uematsu back square. Shower him with money. Hell spend half of the budget on him to get him back.

Uematsu doesn't need to rejoin Square in order to compose music or remaster the music he already made for the game.

In fact he already did outsourcing work as freelance for SE on both FFXI and XIV.

I don't see why the same can't be done for FFVII:R as well.

Dark_castle

I hope they get Sakaguchi back to supervise and provide creative input to the production. Probably not happening, but would be cool.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
7th_Heaven.jpg

Every time I return to this thread and see the things fellow FFVII lovers have said since last I checked, I feel like I'm coming home to that ol' bar again for the first time in years. My rush of memories has not ended in the several days since the announcement. I can't wait until there's an OT for this remake!

thedan001

I wonder if they are having discussions amonst themselves about editing FFVII lore to make it more clearer, especially with Advent Children

Hope not and leave most of it intact

I wonder if they are having discussions amonst themselves about editing FFVII lore to make it more clearer, especially with Advent Children

Well Nomura said Nojima had additional scenarios he wanted to add, although he didn't say they were compilation related but things like making it clearer that you chase Jenova, not Sephiroth, for most of the game and that Cloud's compulsion to do so is due to his Jenova Cells + Reunion etc.

Basically all the things they planned for but didn't go through with etc although I wouldn't be surprised if a new character/scene here or there may relate tot eh Compilation continuity

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

They are going to connect it to compilation no matter what anyone else thinks, those are their creations after all and fully canon to the FF7 lore.

I'm betting they are following the tracks of KH3 and using an established and 'future proof' engine like UE4.
Should up production a lot.

I think CC2 is working on it, and they are working with UE4 now, so i'm guessing yeah, they are using UE4 for this.

This is pretty interesting:

Tetsuya Nomura said:
Concerning Aerith, because the original FINAL FANTASY VII is an old release in 1997, I think there may be a lot of young people who will be touching it for the first time in the full remake of FINAL FANTASY VII. For such people, the question itself is a spoiler regarding Aerith. So I will not answer (laughs).

Inuhanyou

This is pretty interesting:

How so? Nomura is not gonna say "Aerith dies in the game, sorry did i spoil a 20 year old game? Lolololol". He's a goddamn professional!

It would be like JK remaking Harry Potter to an audience that had never heard of Harry Potter, and then accidentally blurting out that Snape kills Dumbledore.

I don't think anyone should expect Nomura to be such a dick, no matter what kind of malicious thoughts they've had about his supposed handling of Versus 13

I forgot about that... These are the kind of real world details that I forgot were so mindblowing at the time this game were new.

The following things were insane additions to JRPGs at the time:
-TVs and news media
-cars and motorcycles
-men in business suits
-neon signs
-corporations
-pinball tables and arcade games
-rock music boss battle theme
-a sex club
-skyscrapers
-machine guns
-scientists

Someone a few pages back brought up the point that XV is the only "fantasy based on reality"... But it really began with VII, and it was in a time when those additions were even more insane. I think we often forget how alien these elements were to the genre back then....

The most important detail of FF7 I find is every building has a toilet.

Such a simple thing, but it makes a world of difference.

Pretty much confirms that Aerith's fate will be similar to that of FFVII. Not that people truly suspected otherwise.
How so? Nomura is not gonna say "Aerith dies in the game, sorry did i spoil a 20 year old game? Lolololol". He's a goddamn professional!

It would be like JK remaking Harry Potter to an audience that had never heard of Harry Potter, and then accidentally blurting out that Snape kills Dumbledore.

I don't think anyone should expect Nomura to be such a dick, no matter what kind of malicious thoughts they've had about his supposed handling of Versus 13

For a second I took that as him considering to change the story to appeal to potential new players, but I guess it could be interpreted any way

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Goodness, I hope he doesn't change that. There are very few things that could be a dealbreaker for me but that's probably one of 'em.

Pretty much. It's been days since the announcement and I'm still in disbelief that it's actually happening.

Edit: Wait, maybe I'm missing the point of the comic strip, which was to belittle Square Enix.

Personally I'm apprehensive as well.

The last FF7 related thing they did was the Compilation, which I despise.

Inuhanyou

For a second I took that as him considering to change the story to appeal to potential new players, but I guess it could be interpreted any way

That's the most iconic moment of the game. and essentially creates everything beyond it.

Aerith being taken without mercy and so suddenly is the crux of everyone's development afterward. If you take that away, its not FF7. They can make a lot of dramatic modifications scene to scene and enhancements in the lore, but taking away the main crux of the story is off the table.

Really? I can only see a way to interpret what he said, young people will be touched because this will be the first time they'll see Aerith die.

I don't think I can handle REMAKE changing something as iconic and important to video games as The Death.

I'm OK with Retconned thing generally, because artistic integrity and creative control, that's fine, but Nomura is in a tough spot regarding introducing new fans to the game that most likely read about The Death or heard something about it online and pleasing the older fans that already played the game.

It needs to be an event that could be tweaked slightly, but the moment that The Death is Retconned to allow her to be alive in any way ruins REMAKE. Not action RPG Battles, not weird characters models, but changing main plot details.

lol come on guys, they're not going to change what happens to Aerith.
The only thing they will do with the plot is slight alterations (such as incorporating elements of the FFVII compilation) but the core plot will be the same.

Koozek

They shouldn't make the whole world an open world. Have large open spaces to travel, but have them stitched together. Once you reach a certain distance, just travel you to the next key area. I think there are only a couple of spots in FFVII were just plain random exploring was rewarding.

Hmm, would that be like the zones in Dragon Age, or basically like FFXII? Could work, I guess.

thedan001

Since FFVII the original came out first, tweaking it to benefit the compliation wouldn't sit well with me

instead, fix the compliation lore and stuff, that seems to be the general consensus anyway

Will Sephiroth be the main villain in this game or will Square create a new villain especially for this remake.

Yes for Sephiroth, however, sounds like they wanted more emphasis to Jenova's persona within Sephiroth this time around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom