• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmlk

FFX-2 added some details that linked FFX and FFVII as part of the same universe. Do you think the remake will give any other nods to this as well? Perhaps the summon designs?

If there weren't any major hints added by Nojima in the remaster, then I think it's safe to say that it won't be expanded upon.

I hope so, at least.

The voiceover in the trailer is brilliant. Listening to it again, it's so well done. It's nothing like the FFXVersus thing Uguu voiceover crap. This is really a very playful and smart tease.

It really is perfect. Everything that's narrated can be applied directly to the game or at a meta level. It doesn't feel out of place at all for either.

And which FFXV trailer had uguu~ VO?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People who don't understand

I'm really surprised by these responses, because I thought it was pure cheese.

Cheese is "the WORLD OF THE VERSUS EPIC!!!" which isn't even English. This was about as creative a way of poking fun of the whole thing that I think you can do without outright saying fuck yall

anaron

Wat.
The scenario was based on Kitase and Nomura's ideas and Nomura was responsible for several plot points (e.g. Aeris' death).
I didn't say Nomura lacked input, I'm saying that the game was largely defined by a collaborative effort put forth by a team led by Kitase and under Sakaguchi's supervision.

Yeah, he was. Verendus said as much in the thread that was made when this interview came up. He's been telling us this is happening for a long time.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=101145962#post101145962

My favourite post from that thread:

PS4 is x86, Just port the PC version, easy peasy.
FF7PCFanboxart.jpg

Little did we know

481409iLmAyOFGnAGWH.gif

I didn't say Nomura lacked input, I'm saying that the game was largely defined by a collaborative effort put forth by a team led by Kitase and under Sakaguchi's supervision.

I don't know why you seem to be under the impression that Kitase "Please enjoy more Lightning" Yoshinori would somehow do a better job then what's already being done.

I'm a Verendus believer now. He is a mystery. I hope the other things he said is true also about a new Suikoden, FF XII HD and Xenosaga HD.

Yeah I'm very excited as well, especially after some of his latest posts mentioning how good of a gen this is going to be for Square/RPG fans. I think he said it's just taking a lot of time and effort to get these projects going but once they start coming people are going to be very happy

Wat.
The scenario was based on Kitase and Nomura's ideas and Nomura was responsible for several plot points (e.g. Aeris' death).

Yup, also, in addition to character design, he came up with the summon attacks and the limit breaks. His finger prints are all over the game, and it sounds like Nojima and Kitase are taking very active roles here as well.

People saying Nomura is out of place directing the remake just don't know the scope of his involvement with the original.

I'm a Verendus believer now. He is a mystery. I hope the other things he said is true also about a new Suikoden, FF XII HD and Xenosaga HD.

by now nobody should doubt him anymore.....:]

Cant wait to hear about that Sony Japan RPG, that shall compete with Final Fantasy (that verendus teased in 2013)

RPGCrazied

Yeah I'm very excited as well, especially after some of his latest posts mentioning how good of a gen this is going to be for Square/RPG fans. I think he said it's just taking a lot of time and effort to get these projects going but once they start coming people are going to be very happy

He was also right about the FF spin off title. World of Final Fantasy. I know he has been wrong on occasion, but I think that is on purpose so his identity stays hidden.

Ray Down

Banned
you are fucking blowing my mind right now

shit

Basically

there a charecter in FFX2 named Shinra who initially tries to harness energy from the farplane with Rin its unsuccessful at first and he says the tech to do so won't be developed for generations.

Thousands of years later his descendants develop space travel leave the planet and eventual land on Gaia extract energy from the life stream and form the Shira Electric Company.

He was also right about the FF spin off title. World of Final Fantasy. I know he has been wrong on occasion, but I think that is on purpose so his identity stays hidden.

Most likely.
He has ties to the industry for sure so he can't be too forthcoming or his cover would be blown. He would be in serious shit if it were as these are things meant to be under wraps.

AkIRA_22

Few things that need to be discussed:

• Materia; it was the corner stone of the game, yet there hasn't been any thing like it since
    World Map; there hasn't been one for years.
    How do they possibly remake ALL that content from all over the world? There has to be compromise.

Few things that need to be discussed:

• Materia; it was the corner stone of the game, yet there hasn't been any thing like it since
    World Map; there hasn't been one for years.
    How do they possibly remake ALL that content from all over the world? There has to be compromise.

There's no way the world map will be to scale.

It will be present, but 1:1 scale is just not possible.

Haha, I wonder if Kitase was deliberately "acting" in this interview with him from February 2014 or if the remake at that point really wasn't yet set in stone:

What exactly would make it so difficult to remake? There are plenty of large games around today. I see that FF7 has a major city but how intricate is that city? How much is explorable? Are there actual streets to go up and down and houses to go into?

Pagusas

Elden Member
What exactly would make it so difficult to remake? There are plenty of large games around today. I see that FF7 has a major city but how intricate is that city? How much is explorable? Are there actual streets to go up and down and houses to go into?

its the scope of things. It has mini games galore, lots of towns, a very good sized world map, breeding game, material and hidden spots everywhere. The "explorability" is a hard question to answer as it was a static background game before, so the real question is what will it take to turn every single area from the game into a detailed, fully 3d environment.

All I have to add is that the excitement of this announcement has caused me to decide to get a PS4. I always thought I'd go Xbox One this generation (went 360 last time) for games like Gears and Halo but I've wanted this game for what feels like forever and the dual punch of Shenmue 3 and FF7 at Sony's godlike press conference has swayed me over to the world of PlayStation. Hell I've even pledged for the digital version of Shenmue 3 on PS4 when I don't even own the console yet.

FF8 is one of my favourite games of all-time and the first FF I ever played. The game was magical so if this remake can replicate that emotion then I just have to get the console now. Guess Sony's plan of hitting everyone over the head with a holy trinity of amazing, miraculous and dreamlike game announcements worked - at least on me.

anaron

Yup, also, in addition to character design, he came up with the summon attacks and the limit breaks. His finger prints are all over the game, and it sounds like Nojima and Kitase are taking very active roles here as well.

People saying Nomura is out of place directing the remake just don't know the scope of his involvement with the original.
are you seriously trying to argue that Nomura was more important to VII than the director of the original? lol

Meowster

It's still incredibly strange to me how someone responsible for character artwork has enough clout to toss out ideas to the Director and Producer of a game. Guess there was lots of respect for Nomura, even early on.

DSix

Banned
Meanwhile the Resident Evil REmake is basically just a graphical upgrade and it's lauded as one of the best remakes.

That's not what REmake is. The manor is changed in many places, the progression is a bit different, and the game mechanics are updated (daggers and burning corpses).

So, REmake is actually a good example of a good remake that's not just a graphical upgrade.

anaron

It's still incredibly strange to me how someone responsible for character artwork has enough clout to toss out ideas to the Director and Producer of a game. Guess there was lots of respect for Nomura, even early on.
well it makes sense when videogames are such a collaborative effort and Nomura was emerging as the series' mainline character designer. the dude had great ideas and was at his best when under some restriction but to treat him as having the influence over VII he does now is dumb.

Shadow780

He was more involved in VII than a character designer:

—It was apparently Mr. Sakaguchi who selected you for “FFVII”, but how did that come about?

Nomura: From before when making a “FF” title, everyone would put plans regardless of their section. While everyone handed in text documents they made on a PC, mine were hand-written and had illustrations attached. Because I had originally studied advertising, I would keep in mind how to make people want to read it. Mr. Sakaguchi thought those illustrated proposals were amusing. Then one day he said, “let Tetsu draw the characters.” The start of this was the brush images for “FFVI”.

—Because your proposals were amusing!?

Nomura: Until that point, I hadn’t had many proposals taken up at all, so I don’t think that’s the reason (laughts). I suppose he liked the illustrations on the proposals.

—When it was decided that you would draw the illustrations, was the world and characters’s details already pinned down to a degree?

Nomura: There was a plot for the story, and I drew them based on that. But during the course of it Mr. Sakaguchi put Mr. Kitase (*3) in charge of production, and at that point in time the plot went back to square one. From there, I was also included in coming up with the original idea for the story, and began drawing while thinking up character and story details. At first Mr. Nojima (*4) was still on the “Bahamut Lagoon” team, so Kitase and myself refined the plot.

—But before then as well, you not only created the pixel graphics but also submitted proposals as well, right?

Nomura: I put forth ideas for “FFV” and “VI”, but they were only really a part of the whole. Unlike in “VI” where with the inclusion of my ninja and my gambler I was given charge of the stories for Shadow and Setzer, “VII” was the first “FF” where I was involved from the ground up. Before then, I had been giving my opinions to a few people like Kitase, so it was interesting to be able to openly introduce proposals.

Meowster

He was more involved in VII than a character designer:
We know that now - it's just a little mind boggling to me. Sounds like there was more trust with Nomura outside of even the Event Planners. It's really cool. He must have blown their minds with that amazing monster artwork in V and VI. :p
Cut content that needs to be in - spooky Sephiroth.

http://a.loveisover.me/korykz.webm
Holy shit. That is creepy and awesome as hell. Definitely should have been in the game if it was really cut.

FF development has always been open to ideas from everyone in the team.

Takashi Tokita did a lot of stuff for FFIV and the game essentially became his brainchild even though he was just a random employee at first.

During development of FFVI, everyone could contribute scenario ideas for the character prototypes and Nomura ended up creating and writing Shadow and Setzer, while Soraya Saga created and wrote Edgar and Sabin.

When FFVI was finished, Sakaguchi asked everyone to pitch in their idea for FFVII and Kitase's idea was selected while Takahashi's idea was rejected and became Xenogears instead.

Part of the reasons Matsuno left FFXII was because he was used to handle the development of his games as a "dictatorship", whereas traditional FF development is a "democracy" (these are his words, not mine), so he was really stressed and couldn't adjust.

Meowster

FF development has always been open to ideas from everyone in the team.

During development of FFVI, everyone could contribute scenario ideas for the character prototypes and Nomura ended up creating and writing Shadow and Setzer
Whaaaaaat? Did not know this. Shadow and Setzer have some of my favorite backstories of VIs cast. That's so cool.

What in the fuck with that FFX and VII connection...

I thought it was just an Easter Egg.

The worlds are connected?!?!!

THATS LEGIT?!?!

Man youre blowing my mind open.

Turin

Banned
well it makes sense when videogames are such a collaborative effort and Nomura was emerging as the series' mainline character designer. the dude had great ideas and was at his best when under some restriction but to treat him as having the influence over VII he does now is dumb.

I agree that he's usually better under restriction but I'm also optimistic he knows what the deal is here. He has a lot more experience now and it's not like he's the only brain in the room.

What's up with the open world argument anyway? Have people been asking for this to go an "open world" route? I mean I wouldn't mind it, but i'd be surprised to see people asking for that. I mainly hope the overworld is largely the same but just with a 1:1 scale.

What's up with the open world argument anyway? Have people been asking for this to go an "open world" route? I mean I wouldn't mind it, but i'd be surprised to see people asking for that. I mainly hope the overworld is largely the same but just with a 1:1 scale.

What scares me about making it completely 1:1 is the fucking scope of that. Remember those forests that you just ran through before?

FFVII_Wutai_WM.jpg

Now they're a fully realized ecological system with actual trees, animals, rivers, ponds, etc. I just can't comprehend the magnitude of this project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom