• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love for Uematsu to return but he wouldn't really do much other than approve of whomever arranges the tracks into orchestral form. The songs are already done.

I'd personally love to hear the Black Mages version of "Those Who Fight Further" as the actual boss battle music, or at least something very similar. I've always felt that's how it should have sounded.

In any case, I've only just started to realize that we're going to get a complete remake of the soundtrack. I think I might faint.....

Go_Ly_Dow

XKVzQTp.jpg

At the end of the trailer Barret and Cloud are heading to the Seventh Heaven.

brillaint spot!

jett

D-Member
So I started a new playthrough of FFVII last night. I'm assuming FFVII:R is going to have a fairly realistic visual style which makes me wonder how they're going to handle stuff like this:

Every time I come across a new enemy type, I can't help but wonder how they're going to be incorporated into the remake because when you really think about it, there are some strange ass creatures inhabiting the planet in this game.

Or even the "canon" weird shit like the Jenova boss fights. You fight one of those things inside a ship. Inside a ship.

Inside a ship.

Where did it even come from.

BibiMaghoo

So I started a new playthrough of FFVII last night. I'm assuming FFVII:R is going to have a fairly realistic visual style which makes me wonder how they're going to handle stuff like this:

Every time I come across a new enemy type, I can't help but wonder how they're going to be incorporated into the remake because when you really think about it, there are some strange ass creatures inhabiting the planet in this game.

It really isn't a problem. These are from FF13. They can do realistic and stupid at the same time.

150px-Zwerg_Scandroid_FFXIII.png
144px-Zwerg_Metrodroid_FFXIII.png
150px-Gigantuar_FFXIII.png
112px-FFXIII_enemy_Picochu.png

That's a pretty crappy design, I wouldn't complain if they left it out

ZenTzen

I'd personally love to hear the Black Mages version of "Those Who Fight Further" as the actual boss battle music, or at least something very similar. I've always felt that's how it should have sounded.

In any case, I've only just started to realize that we're going to get a complete remake of the soundtrack. I think I might faint.....

i like the black mages version, but some youtubers kinda do a better cover of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjUKV031No0

Razmos

For example:
a7e833cfd5f04c20492a06fe7c79b44d.png

1-birds34.jpg

Or even the "canon" weird shit like the Jenova boss fights. You fight one of those things inside a ship. Inside a ship.

Inside a ship.

Where did it even come from.
Sephiroth drops Jenova's arm as he flies (?) away which turns into Jenova:BIRTH.
Source: I just played that bit like an hour ago

MogCakes

YESSS preach. Tifa stood by him no matter what and refused to give up on him.

I must needs address this in the interest of the ever-raging Tifa-vs-Aerith debate. She ignored his existence as a kid and he made a naive promise to her that he'd get into soldier and become the ideal man she wanted. She never did jack for him nor showed she cared before finding his mako-poisoned butt lying around in Midgar years later, of which it was more surprise, curiosity and pity than romantic attraction from all indications given IMO. She only comes to love him as the game progresses and she actually spends time with the guy, much like Aerith. But whereas Aerith caught onto his mask and began to poke at it, Tifa saw his mask and did nothing, for reasons that are never completely explained, until he completely breaks down. I'd say that's the point where she realizes she gives more of a shit about him than she would have liked to admit to herself before. Aerith had no such complications.

I'm a Tifa fan, but her relationship with Cloud is hardly love at first sight.

HolyJonte

Post 7777, all luck in seven!

Remake video on youtube are up in almost 77.777 likes and it's viewing count just reached 7.777.777 some hours ago.

Wazzy

Banned
I must needs address this in the interest of the ever-raging Tifa-vs-Aerith debate. She ignored his existence as a kid and he made a naive promise to her that he'd get into soldier and become the ideal man she wanted. She never did jack for him nor showed she cared before finding his mako-poisoned butt lying around in Midgar years later, of which it was more surprise, curiosity and pity than romantic attraction from all indications given IMO. She only comes to love him as the game progresses and she actually spends time with the guy, much like Aerith. But whereas Aerith caught onto his mask and began to poke at it, Tifa saw his mask and did nothing, for reasons that are never completely explained, until he completely breaks down. I'd say that's the point where she realizes she gives more of a shit about him than she would have liked to admit to herself before. Aerith had no such complications.

Thank you.

I don't know why people ignore the fact they weren't actually childhood friends and that Tifa lies to him throughout the game, essentially making the breakdown worse because of it.

Sure, she fixes her mistakes by helping him in the Lifestream but she absolutely makes a huge fuckup before it.

I would also say Tifa's romantic attraction in the beginning is for shallow reasons until she actually falls for him.

Razmos

People saying that the monster house is really weird, when I just encountered this thing:
766e3d3d7d5b0e0086ff4531d204057a.jpg

Just floating around out there in the wilderness.
It vomits smaller copies of itself.

Koozek

After some thought I think they can reach 2017 if a full team is working on it and it will be on UE4 with CC2. They have the music,the models,story minus some added additions and what they want the world to look like in current gen.

The major work comes into modeling the world to be more current and work in full 3D and what battle system.
Voice actors are most likely already in thought but I would like a different VA for Cloud,Cait Sith and Sephiroth.

At most a 2018 release I think they can do it we will just have to see how far it is during the winter.

Just saw this:
"Now that we've finally announced it - because of the gravity of this game, it's just such a large title, not only with the expectations, but the production of it also - [I'm] just looking forward to just getting through with it and finishing as quickly as can, and just giving the final product and delivering it to the fans."

I think they really are trying to make it in time for the 20th anniversary in 2017. Probably in Fall which would give them ~3 years of development if we assume that full production started last year (at least since around September when it was officially announced that Nomura left FFXV).

From the same interviewer as above:
"Just in an interview with Tetsuya Nomura - he said the games that most interested him most this E3 were @Guerrilla’s Horizon and @GhostRecon"

Go_Ly_Dow

I would say if there was one defining theme of FF7, it would not be the main theme, but this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7EVCuK7ZqM

Critical at creating many of the games most atmospheric and memorable moments.

Recreating this to the same effect in the Remake is key.

Don't mess it up like they messed up Wandering Flame in the FFX Remaster.

Wazzy

Banned
I would say if there was one defining theme of FF7, it would not be the main theme, but this...

This track is so hauntingly beautiful. I've always found VIII and X to have better OST's overall but VII's really knows how to work within it's locations and atmosphere.

Hynad

Banned

While the mood is different in Crisis Core, its version was still pretty faithful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyE0aMFDo3w

You make a very compelling argument and you have good points.
Your post made me want to play the game over again on my computer so thanks for that. And it's true it wasn't love at first sight like the flashback they were merely friends at least how I saw it.

Just saw this:
"Now that we've finally announced it - because of the gravity of this game, it's just such a large title, not only with the expectations, but the production of it also - [I'm] just looking forward to just getting through with it and finishing as quickly as can, and just giving the final product and delivering it to the fans."

I think they really are trying to make it in time for the 20th anniversary in 2017. Probably in Fall which would give them ~3 years of development if we assume that full production started last year (at least since around September when it was officially announced that Nomura left FFXV).

"Just in an interview with Tetsuya Nomura - he said the games that most interested him most this E3 were @Guerrilla’s Horizon and @GhostRecon"

Thank you for this. I think it can happen but it's a huge project so I still believe 2018 isn't out of the picture. But if they can do this and know exactly what they want out of this then go for it.

My grocery receipt

vsdC8eZ.jpg

It's a sign.

Go_Ly_Dow

This track is so hauntingly beautiful. I've always found VIII and X to have better OST's overall but VII's really knows how to work within it's locations and atmosphere.

Definitely can agree there.

While the mood is different in Crisis Core, its version was still pretty faithful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyE0aMFDo3w

Pretty good, but no where near as beautiful as the original.

There's a softness and almost lullaby type nature in the original that is really important.

Hynad

Banned
Definitely can agree there.

Pretty good, but no where near as beautiful as the original.

There's a softness and almost lullaby type nature in the original that is really important.

Personally, while the composition is nice in FF VII, the quality of the sound samples makes it very hard for me to return to it. I think if the version of Anxious Heart from Crisis Core didn't have that beat, it would be better than the original version in every way.

But as I said, Crisis Core went for different mood and atmosphere throughout, but still, the few tracks it borrowed from the original title stood out and were nicely remixed.

Wazzy

Banned
Help? Im trying to understand how this shows it's seventh heaven.
It says Heaven on the sign in the back.

I don't know why, but looking at Barret there, he resembles Wesley Snipes.
Errr that's not Barret lol

Personally, while the composition is nice in FF VII, the quality of the sound samples makes it very hard for me to return to it. I think if the version of Anxious Heart from Crisis Core didn't have that beat, it would be better than the original version in every way.

But as I said, Crisis Core went for different mood and atmosphere throughout, but still, the few tracks it borrowed from the original title stood out and were nicely remixed.
Really? The CC is an okay arrangement but it's nowhere near as good at hitting the right tone as the original. It doesn't bring out the mix of emotions like the original where it's able to switch to an almost innocent melody then to something dark and serious to then depressing.

The CC track is really serving a different purpose for it's sound that would never work like the original does.

I think people gotta relax with the whole "realism" thing. If FFXV could get away with some fantastical creatures(I mean, freaking FFII Goblins that looks true to Amano's original art) existing in a realistic-looking world, sure as hell FFVII could.

The Black Mages version is straight up how the song WOULD sound with a real band backing it instead of being purely synth.

People saying that the monster house is really weird, when I just encountered this thing:
766e3d3d7d5b0e0086ff4531d204057a.jpg

Just floating around out there in the wilderness.
It vomits smaller copies of itself.
They were in Crisis Core as well:
Grangalan-ccvii.png

Also, remember one of the first enemies you fight are Hedgehog Pies, strange and unrealistic, but still somewhat memorable(and also in Crisis Core):
HedgehogPie-ccvii.png

Again, people should calm down regarding the whole "realism" thing. I'm sure non-realistic enemies, such as Bombs, Tonberries and Cactaurs will appear, that those are as unrealistic as one can get, so I'm sure others will make the cut as well!

I'll throw in the Shinra theme, too. Fuck, FF7 has such good event tracks.

I see "eaven" and "style"

Wasn't it written as Seventh Heaven? Or 7th heaven? Am I just going blind?

Texas style is at the bottom of the 7th Heaven sign.

I assume Texas style is there because for some reason there was a Texas door mat in the bar in the Original game.

Ray Down

Banned
Just saw this:

I really hope they can make its 20th anniversary, think it would be something special to have a game commemorate/celebrate its anniversary. But if it needs to be delayed to make a better product then so be it.

Some of the work is done since this is a remake, like most of the story and all the designs/locations (from the original) are done it makes me think this game didn't have much of a pre-production phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom