• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

Because he was designated to be comic relief for an average movie?

Yeah, the only scenes in FF7 that even approach comic relief on Reno's part (that I can remember) are the Wutai bar, where the comedy comes from him merely not wanting to work on his vacation, and the scene in Gongaga Village, where he and Rude are discussing crushes. The comedy in that scene comes from Elena walking in on your eavesdropping, so again, Reno plays it pretty straight there.

Sami+

Interesting, definitely forgotten that detail. The Wutai scene was fresh in my mind because I just replayed it a few days ago.

That whole Wutai sequence is one of the most memorable parts of the game, one has to wonder if they will just end up making Vincent and Yuffie mandatory characters. Obviously it's canon that they join your party, as they're in Advent Children...

I'd be shocked if they weren't tbh

antitrop

I'd be shocked if they weren't tbh

You can get Yuffie as early as Junon, but if they were to make her mandatory, I think Gongaga Village is a good place to pick her up at. That's where I got her on my very first playthrough at random, that's where I get her on my replays.

ZenTzen

Interesting, definitely forgotten that detail. The Wutai scene was fresh in my mind because I just replayed it a few days ago.

That whole Wutai sequence is one of the most memorable parts of the game, one has to wonder if they will just end up making Vincent and Yuffie mandatory characters. Obviously it's canon that they join your party, as they're in Advent Children...

i cant wait to see at what point they are going to introduce yuffie, or how they're gonna tackle the shinra mansion and vincent when we get to nibelheim, they are obviously not gonna be side characters now, at least i hope they arent, and to see how they are gonna expand them in the story besides the wutai stuff or lucrecia part

HeelPower

but he does, in the Sleeping Forrest dream

I'm not sure why they'd need to work around Cloud's breakdown when he's not even in control and it's kinda the whole reason Aeris takes matters into her own hand.

I thought this cutscene had a more dream like,ethereal quality to it ? Like something Cloud wished was true.

This game has so many details its easy to forget things after so many years.

Just started replaying this on Steam cause of all the hubbub. I can't even imagine how they're going to remake this whole sequence. It's both hysterical and wildly uncomfortable. I honestly don't think I'd mind if they just left this part out. Watching these scenes with updated character models made it even creepier. I can't see it going over too well with modern graphics and modern mindsets.

1z24m9q.jpg
XS3H1u8.jpg

vEBMW1u.jpg
oAeB9hq.jpg
sTHHLZl.jpg
S73sog3.jpg
MLGChOw.jpg
u0aPPxo.jpg
B983PwN.jpg
sIKed0a.jpg

For those interested, I'm using the character models from The Reunion: http://forums.qhimm.com/?topic=14914.0

Two Words

SE said they would have more news about this game this winter. Do you think that will be late 20-5 or early 2016? Think we'll get any in-game footage? A release date? Exclusivity details? I'm betting they announce the release date for FFXV and announce a FFVII demo included with FFXV and show some small bits of what the demo has.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm just now delving into the articles on The Lifestream, and they're really fantastic reads. The article on the connection between FFX and FFVII is very well done, and their recent visual breakdown of the remake trailer linked earlier has an equal amount of time and care put into it. They remind me of Mama Robotnik's research threads - very professional.

Since you are using an emulator, go for the version with Japanese voices and English subs. The JP voice acting in CC is much, much better imo.
I would agree with this for the most part, but Rick Gomez (Zack) and George Newburn (Sephiroth) both did very good jobs in the English dub. And I say this as someone who loves their Japanese voices.

I hope Yuffie and Vincent stay OPTIONAL. According to your logic an FFVI remake would make all the characters mandatory in the World of Ruin, which would be lame IMO...

Kain

I was hyped but now I read that this game is actually being outsourced to that small dev that makes those Hack/Slash games. Ehhhhhhh

What people suspect is that CyberConnect2 is collaborating with the development, nothing else. Lots of third party studios collaborate to do different things in the game development process.

ConceptX

I was hyped but now I read that this game is actually being outsourced to that small dev that makes those Hack/Slash games. Ehhhhhhh

Is anything like that actually confirmed outside of rumours?

Parts of it will be outsourced of course, games are very rarely 100% in house these days outside of indie titles.

But I'd expect SE to be doing the bulk for such a protected IP.

Is anything like that actually confirmed outside of rumours?

Parts of it will be outsourced of course, games are very rarely 100% in house these days outside of indie titles.

But I'd expect SE to be doing the bulk for such a protected IP.

I think that's what people are expecting though, but on a large scale. SE doing the bulk of it but they can get CyberConnect2 and others for asset production etc before it gets sent to SE for passes, quality control etc.

Kikujiro

Outsourcing part of your AAA to other developers is nothing new, CC2 is actually a competent developer, the Naruto series is pretty good (especially from a technical point). They are hired to do the grunt work, not to design or write the game.

Shining

The hype got to me and i'm currently playing through this again. The PC version in 1080p and with the SweetFX scanlines filter applied actually looks pretty damn good!

The first six hours or so must be the best six hours in gaming history. Dem feels! I played this for the first time back in 1998 at the age of 14 something. This was during a very turbulent, sensitive and depressing part of my life. My parents had just gotten divorced and i was starting at a new school and had lost a lot of my old friends. I turned to video games, this game in particular, and instantly fell in love with all the characters. Then she (in the game) had to go and die and i just lost it. I think i cried for hours, letting all of my built up grieve out.

-Ryn

Banned
Not really. It's several months old.

It's very good, though. I'm happy it was done before the remakes since it gives a good comparison.

I don't think a FFVII remake has to capture that exact faithful tone, though. I'd be happy with whatever tone it has as long as it's good.
Personally I really hope they do capture the same tone. That was part of what made the game so charming. Though I guess that depends on how you define the tone of the game. Semantics are fun.

Hmmm? No, they do. As was said, the figures look like they are sneaking around the area and it fits with the first mission. Perhaps they have been re-designed.
Hm... I just don't see it. They look nothing like Biggs, Wedge, or Jesse. For one, none of them had a beard. For B, they look like actual Soldiers with plenty of funding as opposed to a few remaining rebels using whatever they've got left.

I really hope they don't militarize the original Avalanche gang. Gotta keep that rag tag feel. I mean Barret is wearing nothing but a sleeveless jacket and some pants. Why do the others need changing?

Koozek

Personally I really hope they do capture the same tone. That was part of what made the game so charming. Though I guess that depends on how you define the tone of the game. Semantics are fun.

Hm... I just don't see it. They look nothing like Biggs, Wedge, or Jesse. For one, none of them had a beard. For B, they look like actual Soldiers with plenty of funding as opposed to a few remaining rebels using whatever they've got left.

I really hope they don't militarize the original Avalanche gang. Gotta keep that rag tag feel. I mean Barret is wearing nothing but a sleeveless jacket and some pants. Why do the others need changing?

I think in Biggs original concept art he had a beard, at least it looks like it to me:
Ff7-biggs.jpg

-Ryn

Banned
I think in Biggs original concept art he had a beard, at least it looks like it to me:
Ff7-biggs.jpg
Nah you're right. There's a bit of beard there. Though he looks far more youthful right there whereas the dude in the trailer looked like Big Boss of something.

Edit:

Okay yeah not quite Big Boss lol

Still though, the resemblance just isn't there imho. Perhaps it's just me hoping they didn't completely throw away the original designs.

antitrop

Did he? I never saw him again after the Wutai sidequest. Is that from the EU?

Apparently, he does:

"The novel Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography Turks -The Kids Are Alright- reveals that Corneo survived the fall, although confined to a wheelchair. In the novel he is utilizing a fuel source acting as a third party supplier of fuel between the remnants of Shinra and the World Regenesis Organization, while aging badly. In the novel, Corneo agrees to supply the fuel to Evan."

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Don_Corneo

Though, to me, that's like Boba Fett blasting out of the Sarlacc Pit with a concussion grenade. To me, it seems like Don Corneo was truly intended to die in Wutai, just like Boba Fett was meant to die in Tatooine.

Dark_castle

You can get Yuffie as early as Junon, but if they were to make her mandatory, I think Gongaga Village is a good place to pick her up at. That's where I got her on my very first playthrough at random, that's where I get her on my replays.
Been a long time since I played FF7, but isn't Gongaga Village optional to begin with? What happened if you skip it and head straight to Cosmo Canyon?

Cagey

Banned
Been a long time since I played FF7, but isn't Gongaga Village optional to begin with? What happened if you skip it and head straight to Cosmo Canyon?

First time I ever played FF7, all the way back at launch, I drove right past it.

You miss out on Haste. Only consequences I remember.

MaximumJohnny

Neo Member
The best part is that they're going to change everything and it's going to be dreadful. Everyone will cry. 2017 will be glorious.

I ADORE FF7 but it's best staying as it is: a gorgeous wee dive into the past.

Skilletor

The best part is that they're going to change everything and it's going to be dreadful. Everyone will cry. 2017 will be glorious.

I ADORE FF7 but it's best staying as it is: a gorgeous wee dive into the past.

And for people like you, your precious game will not be touched. You can still go play your 20 year old PSX version.

liquidtmd

Banned
Whoever paced that remake reveal trailer absolutely fucking nailed it to the wall.

Ideal use of music, beautiful voice-over with a dual interpretation and the use / timing of the logo followed by the Remake legend.

Even days later, on seeing more reaction videos I get legit chills. Not had them in terms of gaming for a long time

YgKgnYy.gif

Alfredo

Yeah, the only scenes in FF7 that even approach comic relief on Reno's part (that I can remember) are the Wutai bar, where the comedy comes from him merely not wanting to work on his vacation, and the scene in Gongaga Village, where he and Rude are discussing crushes. The comedy in that scene comes from Elena walking in on your eavesdropping, so again, Reno plays it pretty straight there.

There's also the part where you first meet Reno in the church and he tells the soldiers not to step on the flowers...after he himself had already done it. That's kinda funny.

-Ryn

Banned
Just started replaying this on Steam cause of all the hubbub. I can't even imagine how they're going to remake this whole sequence. It's both hysterical and wildly uncomfortable. I honestly don't think I'd mind if they just left this part out. Watching these scenes with updated character models made it even creepier. I can't see it going over too well with modern graphics and modern mindsets.

For those interested, I'm using the character models from The Reunion: http://forums.qhimm.com/?topic=14914.0
All the more reason to keep it in imo

Godcannon

First time I ever played FF7, all the way back at launch, I drove right past it.

You miss out on Haste. Only consequences I remember.

If I'm not mistaken Titan is there, and there are some good weapons, armor, and materia there. Also wanna grab Big Guard from the beach in that area. I cannot play VII without doing and getting as much as possible hah. Looking forward to the trophies!

Apparently, he does:

"The novel Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography Turks -The Kids Are Alright- reveals that Corneo survived the fall, although confined to a wheelchair. In the novel he is utilizing a fuel source acting as a third party supplier of fuel between the remnants of Shinra and the World Regenesis Organization, while aging badly. In the novel, Corneo agrees to supply the fuel to Evan."

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Don_Corneo

Though, to me, that's like Boba Fett blasting out of the Sarlacc Pit with a concussion grenade. To me, it seems like Don Corneo was truly intended to die in Wutai, just like Boba Fett was meant to die in Tatooine.
Evan is Rufus' half-brother lol. This novel seems typical Nojima craziness.

Toth

Nah you're right. There's a bit of beard there. Though he looks far more youthful right there whereas the dude in the trailer looked like Big Boss of something.

Edit:

Okay yeah not quite Big Boss lol

Still though, the resemblance just isn't there imho. Perhaps it's just me hoping they didn't completely throw away the original designs.

I do agree they should keep them low key and less organized like the original. But with all the retconning, it's so hard to say. Weren't the 'first' Avalanche fighters )i.e BC) far better geared?

Anybody else manage to arrange your Materia until your max HP was exactly 7777?

I remember that shocked ecstatic feeling when that 7777 popped up. It was totally by chance. I was randomly moving Materia just to see if it would accidentally get me that magic number and the super powers that came with it. Took a moment for my young mind to accept what my eyes saw.

My Cloud single handedly defeated Emerald Weapon with non-stop 7777 slashes. It was such a rewarding feeling at the time. Just took a couple of minutes to finish the job. That big guy never got a shot in. However, the victory over Emerald leveled me up and changed my XP and I could never get the max 7777 XP again. I don't remember if I ever beat Ruby...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I do agree they should keep them low key and less organized like the original. But with all the retconning, it's so hard to say. Weren't the 'first' Avalanche fighters )i.e BC) far better geared?
The original Avalanche also had secret funding from Rufus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom