• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or they could just get rid of that and all those tedious minigames that add nothing to the game (that weird submarine chase that does nothing, for example, I would also be fine with the snowboarding segment gone because it was dumb but I bet most will disagree) but I'm sure I'm in the minority with that.
G-Bike and snowboard would both greatly benefit from actual physics and working controls
Submarine could have been fun if it didn't last 10 seconds

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I imagine this remake will be by very faithful but different like REmake, new areas and story that will link it too Crisis Core(as evident by the trailer)
The battle system will be still turn based but radically reworked.
I expect the fixed camera will be replaced by a 3D 3rd person camera too and will obviously look like Advent Children.

Valor

The irony is a little hilarious. People have been complaining about the downfall of FF but now want to strip the FF7 remake of some of it's iconic features.
Yeah, seriously.

For all the bitching about how Final Fantasy used to be good, then a remake about one of the best ones, then everyone wanting radical changes to the classic formula.

The internet, ladies and gentlemen.

taybul

I had to google the proper definition of a "remake" to see if this was just going to be a next gen port, a remaster, or a completely re-done game with the same story and possibly new system and one of the first results was about FF7. The hype is real.

Meowster

This thread is full of horrifying ideas to 'improve' the game. Jesus, if it was down to some of you lot, they may as well call it FF16 starring Cloud and be done with it.

No random battles? Fuck that.
No turn based combat? Fuck that.

These are staples of the game and the series. It's bad enough they are not in the more recent games, you don't remove them from a remake of a classic, then it's just another game. It NEEDS to be the same game, with reworked assets, nice new cutscenes and slightly updated story. Slightly to give it some extra angles, not to butcher what it was.

I hope, really fucking hope they understand this, and don't listed to all you quick fire shooter 'no one wants old style of play anymore' people that resulted in the ruination of the more recent entries.

This statement makes me legit angry. You don't like them on consoles? Take a ride then. You don't get to call that.
Turn-based can still live in this day and age but random encounters as I-X saw them are dead and good riddance. They don't belong anymore.

Kyoufu

Do we know this?

Yeah, we do. Not exactly a bad thing either.

Remember when XIII was facing issues and had to borrow Nomura's Versus team to complete the game? That wasn't cool. Remember when XIV took a shit on itself and had to be remade, sucking up the entire company's resources, including Nomura's? That wasn't cool. At least with Remake he has a dedicated team.

Reset

Say what now? I just played FFX HD on the big screen, which is a turn-based RPG and it was fantastic.

I'll let you on a secret. It would have been 100x better experience for you if you played it on the Vita instead. ;)
Handhelds - Turn Based
Home Consoles -Action RPGs

If they opt to use an action-based battle-system, it might be fairly simple to have a toggle to make it pseudo-atb (like, still plays out on the field, attacks happen in real time, non-square-dance style), but game pauses when you issue commands, and then AI handles the pathing/positioning. That MIGHT satisfy people on both sides of the divide.

If they make the core of the system turn-based, it would be much harder to shoe-horn a satisfying action system in on top.

As I've said before though, over 25 years, SE has yet to make a battle system I don't at least like (if not love), so this is the least of my concerns.

Krejlooc

Banned
I hope this plays like FFVII. Like, the old ATB turn-based stuff, with materia programming and all that. I hope this doesn't change the gameplay one bit.

The graphics are the only part of FFVII that needs updating. the Gameplay of FFVII (and FFVI) hold up magnificently today.

Yoichi Wada, then the president of Square Enix, stated that the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII could remain an active franchise until 2017, the twentieth anniversary of Final Fantasy VII '​s release.

Guys, Wada said it back in 2006... The truth was here all the time... oh my god...

pLow7

As someone who only experienced FF7 by watching a friend playing it through completely when I was 10, should I go and play it on my own now?

You are entering a Thread full of FF7 Fanboys hyperventilating and barely alive since the News and ask them, if you should play Final Fantasy 7.

Short: If you don't care about the Graphics - > Yes.

Dark_castle

You're using niche series as an example which can barely reach 1m in sales. Except for south park which was only big because of the tv show.

Turn based rpg don't belong on home consoles anymore. It's a waste, if they decide to keep the battle sydtem

How would you know the game will bomb if they keep the turn-based? Why is it that gamers would have "tolerance" for turn-based combat while playing on handheld yet on console they wouldn't?

It makes zero sense. The only argument I can accept from you is that you simply hate turn-based combat.

He was involved in the battle design of VII and VIII. He wasn't the director of the games, but he worked on battle elements for them.
Battle *visuals*. Like, the animation and art for limit breaks, summons, special attacks, et cetera. He did that starting with FFV. Has nothing to do with mechanics.

RPGCrazied

I'm starting to think that when this comes out there are going to be a lot of disappointed people.

Well, at least they tried right? I'm glad they are trying, and if a teaser CG trailer can get me this excited I trust they will make this bad ass.

Damn, imagining Costa Del Sol on current gen...

What a game this gonna be.

Or the Chocobo Farm.
Or Rocket Town.
Or....

Holy shit I can't fucking wait. :D
Hope there are those interconnecting roadways like in AC:

OqYJ1X7.jpg

Makes the world feel more connected and alive.

They'll put it on X1. The architecture is practically the same and it's been some time since FF was exclusive to a Sony console. SE won't leave money on the table. The bigger question is PC release or not.

All signs point to this not coming to Xbox, and even if Sony isn't funding it I can't imagine there is much of a market for FFVII on Xbox One. It'll come to PS4 and then PC later probably.

Ralemont

not me
Uh, why exactly wouldn't an ATB system work on a big screen? I have a feeling that complaint will melt away along with your face the first time you use the menu to select Bahamut Zero.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm a little pessimistic even with Nomura's involvement.

-UE4 and not Luminous
-Currently outsourced
-If the 20th anniversary thing is true then that would be just over 2 years dev time?

I would expect a lot of cuts and because its outsourced UE4 and not internal Luminous I'm not aniticpating the same levels of production values as seen in XV. (Animations, lighting system, day/night cycle, weather systems, large environments etc...).

Suppose that's a little pessimistic, but I want to keep my expectations much lower than usual. A butchered or watered down remake would kill me!
Do you wanna see another Versus XIII instead?

Zakalwe

Banned
This thread is full of horrifying ideas to 'improve' the game. Jesus, if it was down to some of you lot, they may as well call it FF16 starring Cloud and be done with it.

No random battles? Fuck that.
No turn based combat? Fuck that.

These are staples of the game and the series. It's bad enough they are not in the more recent games, you don't remove them from a remake of a classic, then it's just another game. It NEEDS to be the same game, with reworked assets, nice new cutscenes and slightly updated story. Slightly to give it some extra angles, not to butcher what it was.

I hope, really fucking hope they understand this, and don't listed to all you quick fire shooter 'no one wants old style of play anymore' people that resulted in the ruination of the more recent entries.

This statement makes me legit angry. You don't like them on consoles? Take a ride then. You don't get to call that.

Random encounters are antiquated, they could do much better.

Turn based I'm all over.

Mendax

Guys.... The honey bee inn scene, it's happening. I am curious how they will do it.

what's that. is that where cloud shows his flashbacks?

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I just wanted a remaster and not a remake. All these years dreaming of something like this, I guess what I had in mind was:

https://youtu.be/PjKTqsNY6iI?t=332

Anyone else?

no not at all. the original is playable enough on vita. I'd prefer something closer to CC and AC to make it all fit together (visually, gameplay-wise and story)

artsi

Honestly, as a fan I have no idea what the remake should be like, but I'm glad it's finally being done and I trust them to make a good game.

Reset

In your opinion

Could you name a Japanese RPG which was like the classic FF turn based combat and that sold over 2 million copies? Oh and it has be a home console title that was on the PS3/360. :O

If it doesn't use ATB then it won't be FFVII anymore.
Nah, keep the story and characters. It'll still be FFVII.
Just a better version of FFVII.

It makes zero sense. The only argument I can accept from you is that you simply hate turn-based combat.
Nah, I like turn based combat. It just doesn't belong on home consoles anymore.

BibiMaghoo

You are going to be very disappointed.

You are going to be so disappointed in 2 years...

That sad part is you are probably right, but I don't go quietly, I go in kicking and screaming until it's over. Other people should do the same frankly. No one asked for FF13 with Cloud. They asked, for a decade and a half, for a remake of a classic game. To make it look better because it's ugly. That is what they need to do.

The irony is a little hilarious. People have been complaining about the downfall of FF but now want to strip the FF7 remake of some of it's iconic features.

I would find it funny if it wasn't so close to my heart. People asking for the destruction of what made the game so memorable, actually requesting it be made like the newer, considerably less popular and fun games we have today. Please. God . No.

It was included in all the other rumours.

I would say its very likely true.

The guy who said it has only been in development for 2 months also said Last Guardian was a holiday 2015 title. Kagari says she's known about this game for over a year, so I wouldn't be surprised if it has been in actual development since late 2014.

Feichaw

On this scale, where do you expect the game to be:

True to the original |-----1-----2-----3-----4-----5-----6-----7-----8-----9-----| Targeted at new players

I think gameplay: 9, story: 2

5 followers for gameplay, 2 for the story. I trust the team behind the game. They're gonna make the right decisions, I'm sure. They can maybe upset some fans in the end in some minor parts of the game, me included, but we all are going to be happy with the results. That's what I believe.

daveo42

Banned
Or the Chocobo Farm.
Or Rocket Town.
Or....

OqYJ1X7.jpg

Mmm...Makes me wonder how many assets they'd pull from AC to model the remake. At least we know the CG will be top notch!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
yes, why not. the remake is at least 2 years away. it will all be fresh again by then :p

Wow. were you also one of the 20,000 people who bought type-0?

good for you guys.

Type 0 is another game that came to ps4/xbone/PC and obviously has a much lower profile than an ff7 remake. The only thing that would make this exclusive is huge sacks of money from Sony.

You're crazy if you think this wouldn't sell on xbone and PC.

Um, yikes about this outsourced business. I really hope that's untrue. Although I was wondering where on earth they got the manpower for three separate simultaneous huge projects...

Godcannon

Or the Chocobo Farm.
Or Rocket Town.
Or....

OqYJ1X7.jpg

G-bike sequence, RedXIII and Cosmo Canyon, Temple of the ancients, gold saucer, Snowboarding! The Weapons!! Man....if they go all out its going to be the second coming, if it isn't already.

Meowster

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the dissonance between the quirky humor versus the outright depressing and disturbed world they live in. We'll know fast by the time we make it to Wall Market. I just hope they keep Aerith as the fun and flirty girl as we knew her. Her dialogue in Advent Children really did not suit her character..

hidys

It was inevitable. I wouldn't worry much about it.

Well, at least they tried right? I'm glad they are trying, and if a teaser CG trailer can get me this excited I trust they will make this bad ass.

Worried probably wasn't the right word but this could end up being simultaneously one of the most hyped and controversial game of all time.

But I'm still very excited for this to come out.

Losing random encounters wouldn't be too big a deal, might improve the game. However, removing ATB is a deal breaker for me, it wouldn't be FFVII anymore.

There is improvements to be made on the battle system. Summons should be skip-able, speed up the battles themselves more, and materia could use some polishing. That doesn't mean make the remake an action RPG though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom