• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendax

Type 0 is another game that came to ps4/xbone/PC and obviously has a much lower profile than an ff7 remake. The only thing that would make this exclusive is huge sacks of money from Sony.

You're crazy if you think this wouldn't sell on xbone and PC.

Those are just my expectations. Not drawing definite conclusions yet, but after ff15 we will see.

This is on the FF VII Facebook page:

more info on ff7 coming later might mean any time in the future, not today specifically. unfortunately. And the for the latest final fantasy news watch our conference can also mean anything ff related, not ff7. I'm not getting my hopes up, you see :p

RPGCrazied

Um, yikes about this outsourced business. I really hope that's untrue. Although I was wondering where on earth they got the manpower for three separate simultaneous huge projects...

CyberConnect2 is good people and make awesome games. I wouldn't mind if they were helping to get this out sooner.

I hope that rumor is true.

Go_Ly_Dow

Do you wanna see another Versus XIII instead?

The easy answer would be to say no.

But I love perfection and dislike rush jobs. So if an extra years dev time meant higher production quality and more content then that would be great.

As long as the release isn't tied down to the 20th anniversary year then it should be OK.

(Also depends on when this actually entered production. Some say a few months ago, whilst Kagari has been aware of this since last year).

daveo42

Banned
All signs point to this not coming to Xbox, and even if Sony isn't funding it I can't imagine there is much of a market for FFVII on Xbox One. It'll come to PS4 and then PC later probably.

Is that based solely on X1 units sold in Japan? FF releases and KH were never about the Japan market in the first place. It was about getting units sold in the US. Even if it did poorer in comparison to Sony's platform, at this point it's easy money. I'm still placing my bets on this making its way to X1, unless Sony is helping to fund it. I wouldn't put it past them, as this will end up selling insanely well just based on nostalgia.

Here are the Top 16 most viewed E3 videos on the PlayStation channel (listings are for game trailers unless otherwise specified):

Final Fantasy VII – 2,249,870
The Last Guardian – 743,159
Uncharted 4 Demo – 533,491
PlayStation Press Conference (US English) – 483,857
Horizon Zero Dawn – 440,802
Star Wars Battlefront – 337,221
Black Ops III multiplayer – 286,740
Hitman – 248,195
Street Fighter V – 216,558
Destiny: The Taken king – 112,469
Firewatch – 70,893
Rigs – 67,494
Dreams – 58,508
Dark Souls III – 37,896
The Division – 36,129
Assassin’s Creed Syndicate gameplay walkthrough – 26,312
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/final-fantasy-vii-is-dominating-the-e3-youtube-battle/0151295

AmanoBuff

Finally managed to sleep for a couple of hours (out of the past 28). I'm just recovering from yesterday's conference. So much win. The best E3 conference of all time.

I laughed a lot with all the reactions to FFVII RE and Sony's conference in general, perhaps because they mirrored mine so closely. I had tears in my eyes, and laughter.

What a time to be a gamer.

This is pure speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if some re-imagining/modernization happens to certain systems/parts of the game. I don't really mind that, personally.

Completely agree. I'm thinking they will change some core mechanics. I'm perfectly ok with this since the team behind the remake seems to be the right one.

Also, you were completely right when you said we would see a lot more support from Japanese developers. And SQEX's conference hasn't even started!

And Kagari, my respect for being strong enough to not mention this at all. I definitely don't envy you for that. It must have been hard. But the reactions and surprise were REALLY worth the wait.

what's that. is that where cloud shows his flashbacks?

Spoilers on that section of the game:

Honeybee Inn is basically a whorehouse run by Don Corneo and Tifa is taken there. Aeris dresses Cloud as a woman, including getting him underwear and perfume. Then she and Cloud whore themselves out to Don Corneo in order to save Tifa. Depending on if you took the correct options, Cloud can be chosen by Don Corneo over Tifa/Aeris. It's a pretty funny sequence, but it's a little campy and could be considered pretty politically incorrect in today's climate.

Steel

Banned
Anybody else planning on buying this but not FF 15? I wonder what kind of message it would send if FF 7 RM sells more than 15.

Except that Nomura was also responsible for ATB.

That was decades ago on much less powerful hardware. Even back then ATB was quite fast-paced compared to previous turn-based games.

Just because he's done other things since doesn't automatically mean he's going to completely throw his original system out the window. He's not a one trick pony.

Nomura popularized action combat in the FF universe and has been innovating combat styles with each game. This isn't just one trick, just look at the difference between KH and Versus. Moving back to a 20 year old system isn't his style.

I'm sure it's comforting to feel as certain about something as you clearly are about this, but I don't think Nomura's involvement "ensures" free-moving combat at all.

He's known for his combat styles, it doesn't take an genius to deduce this. Why would SE advertise his name on the trailer? I understand the nostalgia trip, but it doesn't make much sense for SE to allocate these big names on a game that will just copy and paste mechanics from the late 90's. I also can't imagine Nomura leaving FFXV to do what you're asking

Meowster

I'd prefer ATB to stay but I can live with a highly customizable combat system. There are worse things to be gained than that (such as Genesis being retconned into the game reading poetry while Cloud and Sephiroth face off).

BibiMaghoo

Turn-based can still live in this day and age but random encounters as I-X saw them are dead and good riddance. They don't belong anymore.

Random encounters are antiquated, they could do much better.

Turn based I'm all over.

I don't agree because of the alternative. The alternative is visually shown enemies on the map or area. These can be avoided. That simple act of allowing avoidance alters the game considerably. A person that can choose to avoid battles will do so. They may not do it often, they may only do it once, a very small number of people will never do it at all, but avoidance means the combat is second place. It relegates the mechanic to something that the player views as a chore, because they do not have to do it. Everyone that played random battles will have at some point raged about it - myself included - but they are a lesser evil.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm scared they will scrap the world map. What are the chances they keep it?
I fucking love world maps, they better don't screw with it. I wish recent games had one.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This game will bitterly divide the FF7 fanbase. So many people are attached to the original and it's inevitable that the resulting game won't live up to how many are now fantasizing it should be.

Can you imagine this being released on January 31, 2017. Exactly 20 years after the original.

List of reactions from around the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1vSYIHlMp8 - GameTrailers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEPCFGL0WAI - it takes something really special to make a father swear profusely in front of his kids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdlOYv-xFyA - an absolutely over the moon post-reaction from a guy with Sephiroth tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRBU8kp-Sc8 - emotionally overwhelmed and brought to tears
https://youtu.be/ABl-fu9HoN0?t=8s - (voice only) starts with doubt and cynicism, turns into a blubbering fanboy by the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcwWE1F3484 - big dude hits his highest squeals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h625iDRiEI - stoicism turns into jubilation
https://youtu.be/geW1xbp_eFQ?t=4m16s - three guys of varying hype levels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKiPHJtzm0g - stunned silence, mouth agape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoX1IMFWwCs - red-faced and light-headed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76BIHdou65o - shortly post-reaction, hysterical laughter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn0IPEBdMSs - handsome dude gets excited
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOxe1jsieyc - (voice only) - Square Enix redeemed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KihrJovRfY - (voice only) lots of crying
https://youtu.be/i8E47_H7z8E?t=1m37s - (voice only) they're not trolling this time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_nKRZjhdkU (Italian)

Sony Conference show floor reactions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6U2LPKeTbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgjO-x8PNfs
Thank you so much for this! These are great!

I am still getting teary eyed the minute I hear the hue of the song as Barret / Cloud walk in.

I don't expect nor want this to be an ARPG, but I fully expect a much-flashier cousin to FF12's battle system (likely with less need to do granular programming of your characters). FF12 is still turn-based combat, but ta a much more modern template.

entremet

This game will bitterly divide the FF7 fanbase. So many people are attached to the original and it's inevitable that the resulting game won't live up to how many are now fantasizing it should be.

If it goes Action RPG there's gonna be a huge riot.

I'm scared they will scrap the world map. What are the chances they keep it?
I fucking love world maps, they better don't screw with it. I'd wish recent games would have one.

They will keep the world map and Highwind traveling.

One key moment in the game is when you are able to leave Midgar.

daveo42

Banned
Spoilers on that section of the game:

Honeybee Inn is basically a whorehouse run by Don Corneo and Tifa is taken there. Aeris dresses Cloud as a woman, including getting him underwear and perfume. Then she and Cloud whore themselves out to Don Corneo in order to save Tifa. Depending on if you took the correct options, Cloud can be chosen by Don Corneo over Tifa/Aeris. It's a pretty funny sequence, but it's a little campy and could be considered pretty politically incorrect in today's climate.

Man, even if it isn't PC now I hope that section stays in. I always had fun playing
dress up Cloud and always shot for a chance to win a date with the Don. That fucking bastard.

Gojeran

Has to have Turn based ATB combat. If they use Crisis Core's combat I'll be super disappointed

Totally agree. I absolutely loved crisis core and it's combat system but I want a classic ATB FF7 remake. If in want to go ape shit and hit a 1000 buttons per second I'll play FFXIV or a fucking action game. Hell FF15 is a lot more real time action and so is Kingdom Hearts which I also fucking love so that's plenty of non ATB already... leave FF7 basic system the fuck alone please.

I never played the original (I was 4) , so I'd appreciate this being as faithful to the originals as possible, which includes turn based combat and random encounters. Leave the ARPG elements to Kingdom Hearts and FFXV

Edit: Hey I'm a member now :D

On this scale, where do you expect the game to be:

True to the original |-----1-----2-----3-----4-----5-----6-----7-----8-----9-----| Targeted at new players

I think game mechanics: 9, story: 2

I'm thinking a 4 or 5 for mechanics, 2 or 3 for story. I'm a diehard fan, but I don't mind gameplay changes so long as they keep true to the original feel/atmosphere and story. I think alot of people are going to reject any and every change though.

Anybody else planning on buying this but not FF 15? I wonder what kind of message it would send if FF 7 RM sells more than 15.

Maybe a message like this: don't keep reinventing the series and trying new things, as you've done for 25 years, and which, despite ups and downs, has won you a legion of fans, and kept you as a meaningful franchise in an ever unstable world, no, instead, disappear into a haze of nostalgia and endless reiterations of your golden oldies from yesteryear?

Best of both worlds would be: we get a sweet 7 remake AND we get XV, which looks to be doing a lot of exciting new things for the franchise.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Seriously? It's been in development for three years?

No, just from a financial perspective. I'm not dumb enough to give any specifics on it. It's just the act of actually pumping resources into it has been going on for a while now. You can find me in other ff7 threads throughout the years constantly venting. =/

AgeEighty

I don't need to play a different game, because Square, smartly, has stuck to continuing to innovate. Personally, I think XII's version of ATB was perhaps my favorite, and XV's combat from what we've seen is possibly the most exciting thing the series has done. If VIIR apes either of those, I'll be thrilled.

Old ATB can die in a fire, and I say that having played all of these games, since the beginning. It just isn't an exciting way to fight, and we've (rightly, IMO) mostly moved on from that.

It's the wrong direction, and it saddens and baffles me that so many people seem to enjoy the awful combat style from newer titles. Innovation is all well and good when it improves upon what came before. There are very few FF fans who think recent games are better than the old ones.

The PSOne combat systems feel dated because by today's standards they're slow, with too much loading time, too much execution time for commands, and too many sweeping camera shots before the fight begins. All of that can be adjusted without transforming a classic into the kind of muck that's had so many gamers saying FF has gone downhill.

Man, even if it isn't PC now I hope that section stays in. I always had fun playing
dress up Cloud and always shot for a chance to win a date with the Don. That fucking bastard.

I definitely hope it stays in to. I really hope they keep all the humor of the game in tact. FFVII has a reputation of being humorless, but it really wasn't. The Compilation stuff didn't help matters.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't agree because of the alternative. The alternative is visually shown enemies on the map or area. These can be avoided. That simple act of allowing avoidance alters the game considerably. A person that can choose to avoid battles will do so. They may not do it often, they may only do it once, a very small number of people will never do it at all, but avoidance means the combat is second place. It relegates the mechanic to something that the player views as a chore, because they do not have to do it. Everyone that played random battles will have at some point raged about it - myself included - but they are a lesser evil.

I can't get behind that reasoning at all, sorry.

Allowing player choice makes combat a chore, but forcing battles on the player doesn't?

No man, random battles need to stay gone. I'm pretty sure they will.

Mendax

No, just from a financial perspective. I'm not dumb enough to give any specifics on it. It's just the act of actually pumping resources into it has been going on for a while now. You can find me in other ff7 threads throughout the years constantly venting. =/

that means hashimoto was actually trolling. nice!

Feichaw

What if they make the battle system just like Persona 4? It still would be turn based, but there wouldn't be random encounters.

yes, why not. the remake is at least 2 years away. it will all be fresh again by then :p

You are entering a Thread full of FF7 Fanboys hyperventilating and barely alive since the News and ask them, if you should play Final Fantasy 7.

Short: If you don't care about the Graphics - > Yes.

Hmm good point both of you, I guess I will play it then eventually :) It's not like I have problems with the graphics either, I mean I played through FF8, FF9, FF10 and FF10-2 with FF9 being my favorite, FF7 sort of just always went past me so I guess it's time to change that :D

Meowster

Those dumb mini games are part of what makes the whole so charming. Just like the dumb arcade machines, dumb bike section, dumb chicken racing and all the other unrequired mini games, that instead of just having a cut scene, effort was made to make them playable, or exist at all.

I don't think I can handle this thread :D
My opinion: G-bike and Chocobo Racing are essential. They add to the story and give great tension, particularly the G-bike section as you are actively involved with escaping Midgar. I didn't like the snowboarding minigame back then and I still don't like it now lol. Fort Condor was just weird and needs severe fine-tuning for it to be enjoyable. The submersible level was just.. strange.. I couldn't and still don't make any sense of it.

Skux

Combat should not consist of pressing X over and over until all enemies are dead. It's 2015. Don't think about updating an old system to 2015 standards. Approach it with the idea that it's a new game in development today. How would it play?

I want to see a dynamic battlefield where positioning matters, not just two rows to choose from. I want to see tactical decisions based off strengths, weaknesses and synergies, not just healing because your health bar shrank off the last enemy attack. And I want to see limit breaks and summons used based on risk and reward, instead of being spammed for free damage.

Square Enix, please don't be too reverential to the source material. Please don't cave in to fans who only know and love the game they played in 1997 when there's so much opportunity to explore. If I wanted the old gameplay I'd play the original game. There's no need to give me the same thing twice.

Dark_castle

Could you name a Japanese RPG which was like the classic FF turn based combat and that sold over 2 million copies? Oh and it has be a home console title that was on the PS3/360. :O

Nah, keep the story and characters. It'll still be FFVII.
Just a better version of FFVII.

Nah, I like turn based combat. It just doesn't belong on home consoles anymore.
FFXIII. It's actually turn-based.

Really, I don't even know what to say with your extreme, absolute view of turn-based doesn't belong to home console, and you didn't answer my other question. FFVII is a huge brand name, it's going to sell well regardless with new, improved visuals. When DQXI comes out and definitely be turn-based on PS4, you bet it will sell way more than 2 million. FFVII remake as well.

They will keep the world map and Highwind traveling.

One key moment in the game is when you are able to leave Midgar.
You could do an even better version of the "leaving Midgar" moment if it is FF XV-style open world though. Just imagine leaving the cramped corridors and dirty streets after 10 hours to see a huge field of grass stretching out in front of you.

I love the old FF world map, but XV's style has won me over.

Is that based solely on X1 units sold in Japan? FF releases and KH were never about the Japan market in the first place. It was about getting units sold in the US. Even if it did poorer in comparison to Sony's platform, at this point it's easy money. I'm still placing my bets on this making its way to X1, unless Sony is helping to fund it. I wouldn't put it past them, as this will end up selling insanely well just based on nostalgia.

Last gen Final Fantasy sold massively better on PS3, and now Type-0's sales were even more massively in favor of PS4, then we have it also looking like Sony is paying for part of the development.

PS Blog listing gives the impressions that they will change the name to something better.

They listed the name as FINAL FANTASY VII Remake (final name pending) for the game.

Maybe SE is planning to start the whole FFVII franchise with the remake being FF VII: The Cloud Saga :p

Mabufu

Banned
People asked for a long time for this remake... but not for playing another ATB game, but for enjoying an epic story with an amazing cast of characters and an amazing world, in actually beliavable graphics that helps with immersion.

Get your shit together fans, FF VII was not remembered and didnt reach its status for the battle system. It cant be more irrelevant.

Maybe you had fun with ATB system, but there's no need to blind yourselves thinking it cannot be improved.

The expansiveness of the world surviving is what I am most worried about. I wishfully hope that I won't have to select Junon on a list of locations (FFX) and then been instantly transported to a corridor (FFXIII). While heading to Kalm I want to look back and see Midgar behind me. I want to fly the Highwind north (or all the way south) to arrive at the north cave. The cynic is currently winning this battle in my mind.

Besides that it was great to see Midgar in the trailer particularly the scene with the orange background from 0:24 to 0:30. I feel that it really captures the feel of what Midgar is so much beyond what was possible back then.

The first time I looked at the trailer all I could see was the visuals so I didn't realize that the narrator was talking directly to us.

I'm ready to embrace whatever the reunion brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom