• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Chunk 1 (CyberConnect2, UE4) Trailer, "PS4 Console Debut"

Gnomist

Timeaisis said:
Now I'm officially worried this is going to be way to dark.

duckroll said:
That's what brightness and contrast settings are for.

Well, isn't Midgar supposed to be dark? The first chunk of the game takes place indoors and in the slums underneath a giant city blotting out the sun. Yes...that's going to be dark! And that moment when you finally step outside the city and get the grand reveal of the world will feel all the more dramatic for it.

Jarmel

Banned
They're going to heavy edit that shit out. This game is full of mind numbing dumb bullshit my 16 year old self LOVED.

If they're making this game for a "new crowd" they're going to redo a lot of it, I think.

They've already heavy implied Honeybee is going to be in.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Holy shit guys, I think I've just discovered a way to read GAF posts from 2005 and am reading a post about Advent Children.

Hello 2005GAF, be patient, you only need to wait another 10 years for a remake reveal. Also that Versus game they'll announce in two years? It's never coming out.

Haha you got me.

"Yeah, let's remake Final Fantasy VII for all the people that don't want it!"

You can't be serious?

They would have kept it the same if they wanted it to be for people that already liked it. Why change it unless they think they'd make more money?

Final Fantasy 7 is not a game that is acceptable in the modern AAA climate. Therefore, they're making a different game for a different audience.

Highwind

Glad this is where they are going for the remake if they don't want to use a turn based battle system.

Kingdom Hearts style combat is one of my favourite systems in gaming.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Can you guys imagine the Sephiroth fight on this remake?.....omg

Probably like the one in Kingdom Hearts 2?

I like KH game play, I can see it working well here. With some Crisis Core mixed in, I think they're going to have a fun combat system.

They would have kept it the same if they wanted it to be for people that already liked it. Why change it unless they think they'd make more money?

It doesn't have to be exactly the same. This is such a far removal from the original that you can't be surprised that there are many people who are reacting negatively.

And I was mostly responding to the idea that the game is made for people who didn't like or didn't play the original. It's an absurd idea.

http://youtu.be/nF_Ca45JRFs

Had a bit of a Spoony BETRAYAL!!! Moment when I saw the real time combat. TT_TT Is it too much to ask for an awesome turn based system on console these days?! Thank god for Persona 5.

Not discounting the whole game of course, it should still be fun but... Sigh.

CHC

Ohhhhhh my GOD Barrett's voice. So fucking good.

Also I'm very glad to hear "not interested."

The character designs are HOT, they look just like in the original. Actually, everything does. This how it

mi0nM6B.gif

mieumieu

an action game is 'just another action game', as if there is no nuance in that genre. such superiority complex. I would never say something like that and I just played a session of divinity original sin.

I'm just going to put this out here: I think the realistic graphics looks fucking DUMB.

Cloud with a sword his height hanging off his back and Barett with a machine gun attached to his arm... looks laughable.

Seriously, this looks so hard to take "seriously". The realistic graphics really give it that uncanny valley and throws everything off given how photo realistic everything else is.

I'll be buying and playing a ton of this game but I agree with you completely.

The juxtaposition of these real-life inspired angulared characters holding buster swords is incredibly silly. If they'd gone a little bit cartoonish with the character design it would've fixed everything.

Looks like an evolution of crisis core/VersusXIII

I'm extremely hype, versus is lives on! I'll play XV day one because nomua created my boy Noctis! What a time to be alive.

Arkeband

Banned
I wish Square wasn't predictable and gave this game a turn based combat system. Not VII's because I didn't think anything was special of VII's, but something like X-2's with a lil' spin would've been off the chain.

Nah bro, the games that outsold KH would have totally been better if they were more like KH. /s

I said god damn.

I was really skeptical about this project, but seeing it in motion, I can't deny the feelings I'm feeling. I'm okay with them making it a different thing. I've already played FF7; more times than any one person should.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Source? Would you stake your Gaf account on it because I am about 99% sure it will be.

this game literally wouldn't exist without sony........there's no way that they are going to let it come to xbone. pc maybe because sony are generous like that they just want gamers to benefit.

Yesssssss!

Voice acting was a little stiff, but looks fucking awesome. I wasn't expecting to see anything actually in game already. Maybe this game will be out before 2020 after all.

You can thank UE4 for that...the thing SE has been struggling with in recent years has been their internally developed engines. Now that they don't have to worry about the engine, they can actually apply that creativity.

What date did turn based combat stop being fun?

Seriously. I don't understand the idea of turn based combat being terrible because it's old. It's different, and it's been around longer than Action RPG style combat, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

Sure, it's slower paced, but that doesn't make it any better or worse than any other style of combat if it's pulled off well, and the original Final Fantasy VII pulled it off very well.

CHC

I still can't believe this isn't actually just a tech demo. Just knowing that there is going to be SO much of the game to see after this. FFVII is huge.

Actually though this gives me a horrible idea: what if they release it "The Hobbit" style? Like, Part 1 is just Midgar, then so and so forth in like $20 "episodes"? That would be shitty, and I hope they don't.

Appeals to authority don't cut it. Why call it Final Fantasy 7 then rip out one of the core mechanics of the game? Create an entirely new game if you think the old one is so antiquated.

Because more people are going to buy a game with Final Fantasy 7 on the cover than a new game.

More people have heard about Final Fantasy 7 than have beaten Final Fantasy 7. This game is for them.

Torment

Banned
this game literally wouldn't exist without sony........there's no way that they are going to let it come to xbone. pc maybe because sony are generous like that they just want gamers to benefit.

So is that a yes because there a ton of FF fans on Xbox that left Sony after PS1. I can contact a mod to set that up since you are so sure.

13 and 15 are both on Xbox and MS still has a contract with SE.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"Yeah, let's remake Final Fantasy VII for all the people that don't want it!"

You can't be serious?

"Let's reimagine it for a new audience who wants something different, and yet still familiar, as well as the previous fans who are open minded enough to try a new spin on an old favorite."

Is more like it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So is that a yes because there a ton of FF fans on Xbox that left Sony after PS1. I can contact a mod to set that up since you are so sure.

13 and 15 are both on Xbox and MS still has a contract with SE.

why would i take a ban bet on it? i'm just saying that this remake is only here because of sony.....why would they let MS steal it from them?

NateDrake

Where did you hear that? There has never been anything to suggest Sony is funding development of the game. I fully expect it to appear on other platforms after a timed-exclusive release period.

Arkeband

Banned
Because more people are going to buy a game with Final Fantasy 7 on the cover than a new game.

More people have heard about Final Fantasy 7 than have beaten Final Fantasy 7. This game is for them.

So here's the situation you then create:

"Have you played FF7?"

"I played the remake."

"Oh, ok, not the same thing then. Go play some 20 year old game ported with in-game cheat codes on a toggle switch."

Appeals to authority don't cut it. Why call it Final Fantasy 7 then rip out one of the core mechanics of the game? Create an entirely new game if you think the old one is so antiquated.

The importance you assign to the combat system in a remake is really kind of arbitrary.

Since when does a remake have to have a similar battle system to be a remake? Hell, even if they make it action based, they can still have MP management, limits, materia, summons, all that. A number of the core developers from the original game are coming together to remake the game. Nobody seems to be saying it has to be exactly the same, so why is this one aspect of the combat suddenly too important to the identity of the game to be messed with? The creators obviously don't think so, so is there some objective basis? Something higher than that?

fader

I'm just going to put this out here: I think the realistic graphics looks fucking DUMB.

Cloud with a sword his height hanging off his back and Barett with a machine gun attached to his arm... looks laughable.

Seriously, this looks so hard to take "seriously". The realistic graphics really give it that uncanny valley and throws everything off given how photo realistic everything else is.

I think that's why they went with the chibi design in the original when you're in the field.

but hey people wanted a remake and they're getting what they want.

Top Bottom