• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Chunk 1 (CyberConnect2, UE4) Trailer, "PS4 Console Debut"

Grudy

So here's the situation you then create:

"Have you played FF7?"

"I played the remake."

"Oh, ok, not the same thing then. Go play some 20 year old game ported with in-game cheat codes on a toggle switch."

Why does such a situation matter to Square though?

SoraNoKuni

We are on the most Progressive gaming community and people discard the remake simply for being ARPG, Honestly I am really happy it's an ARPG but even if it was Turned-based I would still be happy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That's looks perfectly modernized and is a great new take on a classic. I'll play my original if I want that experience.

orochi91

So is that a yes because there a ton of FF fans on Xbox that left Sony after PS1. I can contact a mod to set that up since you are so sure.

13 and 15 are both on Xbox and MS still has a contract with SE.

In all honesty, the NX seems like a more viable choice than the XB1 lol

JRPGs sell pretty bad on Xbox platforms.

Gnomist

SaintMadeOfPlaster said:
"Yeah, let's remake Final Fantasy VII for all the people that don't want it!"

You can't be serious?

Yeah, I don't think that's what SE had in mind at all. Seems silly to suggest it. I imagine none of these changes were made to specifically leave out fans of the old game. Most changes likely go hand in hand with making it more modern and hopefully attracting new customers in addition to the fans. A side effect is going to be that some people who want no changes or very specific changes aren't going to get what they want. I'd wager they'll be the minority though.

Steveo

Banned
Console debut means it's coming to another console. Sony has used that terminology before, it means it's not a permanent console exclusive. What other console will it come to? I dunno, maybe it'll be a NX launch game, maybe it'll be on the XB1 down the road, maybe it'll be on everything.

But you can bet it's coming to another console.

"Let's reimagine it for a new audience who wants something different, and yet still familiar, as well as the previous fans who are open minded enough to try a new spin on an old favorite."

Is more like it.

They threw out the combat entirely, lol.

It's a new game for a new audience, one that would firmly reject Final Fantasy 7 in its original form.

I'm just going to put this out here: I think the realistic graphics looks fucking DUMB.

Cloud with a sword his height hanging off his back and Barett with a machine gun attached to his arm... looks laughable.

Seriously, this looks so hard to take "seriously". The realistic graphics really give it that uncanny valley and throws everything off given how photo realistic everything else is.

What, i dont see it as realistic at all. I think they actually nailed the look, its a bit cartoony

Thoraxes

The importance you assign to the combat system in a remake is really kind of arbitrary.

Since when does a remake have to have a similar battle system to be a remake? Hell, even if they make it action based, they can still have MP management, limits, materia, summons, all that. A number of the core developers from the original game are coming together to remake the game. Nobody seems to be saying it has to be exactly the same, so why is this one aspect of the combat suddenly too important to the identity of the game to be messed with? The creators obviously don't think so, so is there some objective basis? Something higher than that?

I don't think he's off on the value there.

It's kind of the thing you do for 75% of the game.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Where did you hear that? There has never been anything to suggest Sony is funding development of the game. I fully expect it to appear on other platforms after a timed-exclusive release period.

sony don't do timed exclusives, they're better than that as a company.

tumblr_nywgp9vmcl1r8dxfio1_500.gif
tumblr_nywgp9vmcl1r8dxfio2_500.gif

http://gacktova.tumblr.com/post/134604350174

The faithfulness to the original game is actually really great.

Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge are updated but familiar.

Cloud still says "Not interested.".

Jessie still kicks a Shinra Grunt in the gut.

They still have to blow their way out of the rubble after the reactor is destroyed.

Cloud still jumps on a train after being surrounded by Shinra troops after separating from the group.

Barret and Cloud keep all their old limit breaks and might even get new ones.

Really liking what I see so far.

The Shinra HQ should be amazing.

I don't really care about turn based combat because that wasn't a unique feature of FFVII at all.

Christmas Ape

Neo Member
Man I hate that I'm one of the only people that can't get into action RPG battle systems. Unfortunately my hype for this game deflated quite a bit...

It does look nice though at least. I'm surprised we saw anything on it, let alone actual gameplay.

Neff

The look they have for the game is absolutely perfect, as I knew it would be.

I'll admit to being disappointed by the lack of ATB and static camera angles, though.

Lionheart

I don't really see prove of it not being turn based yet. Was it confirmed somewhere? I do see Cloud slashing multiple times, but it could still be a single attack with timed button presses or something for more damage. The moment where you see Barret attacking looks like the player could have just pressed attack from a menu.

Although I don't mind Kingdom Hearts gameplay, I'd prefer it to be turn based myself. From the footage it could still be (partially) turn based.

The game looks great regardless!

Get'sMad

Visuals look great....I mean I didn't expect it to be but I do wish it was still turn based but whatever.

Hope you can turn off the voices too!

Looks like a bunch of other "cinematic" games out these days. I think people see the Final Fantasy VII name lose all sense of objectivity.

Top Bottom