• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Chunk 1 (CyberConnect2, UE4) Trailer, "PS4 Console Debut"

wmlk

like so many have already pointed out, if you supposedly loved VII but hated its gameplay, or "shit battle system" something is wrong there.

I didn't think it was shit. The combat was serviceable, but Materia was great. I don't see Materia being replaced here and if I did, I'd be a bit worried. I don't see the combat for the Remake being too great either. If Materia is in, the customization should be where it shines again.

And more than anything, FFVII to me was much more than the combat.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The combet looks like shit. No limit breaks, no materia system probably either. I don't mind real time if the game was meant to be that way, but they could have made it turn based while still keeping real time elements.
What the hell are you even blabbing about?

We see Braver here:

ffvii-1e5lnt.gif

And Big Shot here:

tumblr_nywdy3Hr4N1sjbtwdo3_500.gif

And we know NOTHING about the actual gameplay system yet, so it's extremely silly to even state that this will "not have a materia system probably either".

like so many have already pointed out, if you supposedly loved VII but hated its gameplay, or "shit battle system" something is wrong there.

Why?
Can you not love something and yet recognise it has flaws?

The point ALL of us are trying to make, is that the combat generally served a purpose to act as a glue for the plot/world, which we love to experience. We didn't necessarily play the game for the battle system, but we played it for everything else, and the battle system was just one part of it - so it's not a terribly big deal if that changes.

The combet looks like shit. No limit breaks, no materia system probably either. I don't mind real time if the game was meant to be that way, but they could have made it turn based while still keeping real time elements.

...There were Limit Breaks in the trailer. Barret's Big Shot was in the footage, for example.

I came to realize something quite obvious - but we will most likely get to fight Guard Scorpion twice! One time on the bridge (after setting up the bomb, like in the original) and once more on the train (since we clearly see him engage Barret and Cloud in the video as well. X-ATM092 from FFVIII, anyone?).

Maybe the second time will only be a cutscene? This also signifies that Barret won't be in the train with the the small AVALANCHE group when Cloud is 'missing'. UNLESS, of course, Cloud tells Barret to get out of there while he fights the Guard Scorpion alone. In which case everyone gets worried that Clouds gets wiped on the boss and then joins the group with the flip ("Cloud!" "Cloud!!" "Cloud!" "...").

The trailer has some quick, confusing editing; the Scorpion is in the Reactor and not on the train.

Master7

Neo Member
I also don't understand why some people bring up the Materia system in relation to combat, or why it's a strength of the original combat system that apparently doesn't apply to the new combat system.

You could almost copy-paste VII's system into an ARPG and it'd work very much the same.
I disagree. Awesome materia like 4x cut, Quadra Magic, Sneak Attack, Mimic feel like they lose some value in ARPG combat.

Sounds like youre just describing a limit gauge. More likely it's an atb gauge imo
No, the limit gauge is something else in the trailer. That bar that I (and the poster I quoted) was referring to is the bar under Cloud's name and to the left of the HP, MP, and Limit bar.

Pay close attention to how that left bar (not the Limit bar) increases whenever Cloud attacks, and how they're doing a flashy attack whenever it's full and red.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone I've nostalgia'd out over the game with talks about how much they love the world, music and COMBAT. It may not be important to you, but it definitely was to some people.

I mean, I still enjoy the combat, but the encounters themselves were a big part of that enjoyment. It's still serviceable, but I am completely happy to see something new, too.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

injurai

Banned
RPGs aren';t just there combat systems, and you can love a game for more than it's combat systems.

Please understand.

FF7 is my favorite FF, but it's combat system is really not anything to right home about.

Deus Ex is also one of my favorite games, but it's gun play is shit.

I love Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, does it have good gameplay, fuck no.

Precisely. Even in modern times you see this. TW3 is a model rpg, but even it's combat lets some people down, and it certainly doesn't hold a torch to the Souls games.

Gbraga

Some of the cutscenes being remade as naughty dog-esque playable setpieces would be nice.

Maybe.

If you haven't purchased FF7 on PS4 but wanted to see and hear the theme, here is the entire musical track and both theme screens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2XXhrymh9o&feature=youtu.be

Wow, thank you! I hope the theme isn't a limited time offer, or at least it goes on sale individually later on. I really want it, just can't right now.

So what do you guys think? Full action? I saw a lot of people thinking it's a hybrid system based on what we saw from the video, but now i'm not sure after further examination.

No, the limit gauge is something else in the trailer. That bar that I (and the poster I quoted) was referring to is the bar under Cloud's name and to the left of the HP, MP, and Limit bar

That's the bar I was referring to.

But yeah I see that now.

MrHoot

Stop misconstructing. There's nothing wrong with the old system, it was just completely fine (and nothing against it. For crying out loud I backed indivisible for that reason) for the time as it offered the best of what the devs wanted (strategic and cinematic fights) but it's mostly the argument that people feel ATB is the be-all-end-all of FF7 and changing the system itself is ruining or changing the game completely (even though combat itself, special moves, limit breaks, swappable character and magic are still here it seems). Especially at this point where we have so little information, it's hyperbolic as hell

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The trailer has some quick, confusing editing; the Scorpion is in the Reactor and not on the train.

Wow, I've watched the trailer frame by frame and a total of 30+ times already - with full awareness that the video is edited like crazy, but I still managed to fuck up with that. I must be getting tired or something, thanks for covering my fuck-up!

Why?
Can you not love something and yet recognise it has flaws?
The battle system wasn't a flaw though...Anyways I highly doubt people from either side of this argument is going to convince the other so this is largely a pointless endeavor imo. At the very least I will always have DQ..though those fuckers wanted to changed the battle system to an arpg in DQ9 as well glad that blew up in their face

Edit: Hmm it would seems I now understand the difference between me and most people here, I absolutely cannot enjoy a game if I hate the core gameplay system no matter how good everything else is, while others seem to be able to.

Xion86

So what do you guys think? Full action? I saw a lot of people thinking it's a hybrid system based on what we saw from the video, but now i'm not sure after further examination.

A hybrid system would be lovely and please both sides of opinions :) (hopefully) although you can't please everyone.

RPGs aren';t just there combat systems, and you can love a game for more than it's combat systems.

Please understand.

FF7 is my favorite FF, but it's combat system is really not anything to right home about.

Deus Ex is also one of my favorite games, but it's gun play is shit.

I love Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, does it have good gameplay, fuck no.

But it's stealth play isn't ;D. Difference there at least is you don't have to play it like a shooter.

Siege.exe

I definitely think it's some sort of hybrid. I don't think Barret would be stationary during his attacks or either of them would only be able to damage one enemy at a time if this were actually an ARPG.

Corridors and Kingdom Hearts battle system, pretty much as I expected really. As a fan of the original I have little to no interest in it. I wish Nomura would fuck off with his shitty games and his shitty battle systems. Oh and the voice acting is horrendous and the new Barret doesn't look anything like Barret.

Precisely. Even in modern times you see this. TW3 is a model rpg, but even it's combat lets some people down, and it certainly doesn't hold a torch to the Souls games.

I love all three Witcher games and while I had fun with the combat in each one(even the first), I wouldn't say they were the greatest.

Though I do feel TW3 gets more flak than it deserves.

Merc_

Is it possible to like the original battle system and still think that this one could be cool too?

Or is it absolutely necessary that I freak out over 6 seconds of footage for a battle system I know nothing about, but automatically know will be shit compared to the original?

injurai

Banned

That's the bar I was referring to.

But yeah I see that now.

Kitase said at the conference that it isn't straight action. He said they've brought the former command based system into one with real-time elements.

Lynx_7

I'm super stoked for this. The only thing I'm slightly worried for now is whether they'll get Midgar to look and feel right. On the original game it has a lot of neon lights, posters, debris and just feels very "handicrafted" and lived in, while the streets they showed in the trailer look a lot more sterile and lifeless. Hopefully that won't be the case on the final product.

As for the battle system, I've just come to accept Final Fantasy is now an action franchise so that didn't come off as a surprise. Shin Megami Tensei, Persona and Dragon Quest are what I'll be looking forward to for turn-based goodness.

But it's stealth play isn't ;D. Difference there at least is you don't have to play it like a shooter.

The stealth play is kind of mediocre too to be honest, largely because the AI is exploitable as hell.

The level design and the feeling of rewarding exploration and emergent gameplay is what makes Deus Ex shine.

Deus Ex is definitely a game that is more than the sum of its parts.

Top Bottom