• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Chunk 1 (CyberConnect2, UE4) Trailer, "PS4 Console Debut"

I hope they don't try to force realism onto characters, like making him a "normal' person with samey colored clothes. It's a fantasy video game, embrace it.

For all people say, FFVII's world WAS pretty strange and fantastical. Anybody remember that talking mouth in
the middle of the clock room in the Temple of Ancients
?

latest

I wanna see some of the bizarre shit carry over.

For all people say, FFVII's world WAS pretty strange and fantastical. Anybody remember that talking mouth in
the middle of the clock room in the Temple of Ancients
?

latest

I wanna see some of the bizarre shit carry over.

That was a mouth?

I always thought it was...a...thing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When looking closely, you can actually see that Barret barely touches Cloud. Look at his reaction to Barret (the eyes!) :) THE DETAILS.

qD7rayT.gif

Something I noticed in the trailer...

At the moment before he jumps off on to the train, there are some differences in the scene. The main thing is the distortion effect, which suggests Cloud is having some sort of mental thing, but there's another thing too.

GX0O8M.gif

Right before the distortion, there's a Shinra grunt who seems to be surprised by Cloud or something (just lip movements, so it's hard to tell), possibly saying Cloud's name. Cloud turns to him, and then there's the distortion. Then when Cloud runs, the Shinra grunt moves towards him, and it actually cuts to him with his helmet lifted up, face visible and hand outstretched to Cloud. (It's hard to see his face in the gif, but in the video itself you can see it's actually fully rendered, not just his jaw.)

I'm wondering... is this a new character? A grunt that recognizes Cloud, and causes Cloud to have a mental spasm because it clashes with his
false memories as Zack
?

HeelPower

It's also not clear what engine FF7R is on, though it seems they've reused some XV animations in the mean time.

I like that!

FFXV has an insane amount of insanely polished contextual animations.Better not waste any time or resources when you already have quality stuff like that at your disposal.

At the moment before he jumps off on to the train, there are some differences in the scene. The main thing is the distortion effect, which suggests Cloud is having some sort of mental thing, but there's another thing too.

GX0O8M.gif

Right before the distortion, there's a Shinra grunt who seems to be surprised by Cloud or something (just lip movements, so it's hard to tell), possibly saying Cloud's name. Cloud turns to him, and then there's the distortion. Then when Cloud runs, the Shinra grunt moves towards him, and it actually cuts to him with his helmet lifted up, face visible and hand outstretched to Cloud. (It's hard to see his face in the gif, but in the video itself you can see it's actually fully rendered, not just his jaw.)

I'm wondering... is this a new character? A grunt that recognizes Cloud, and causes Cloud to have a mental spasm because it clashes with his
false memories as Zack
?

Huh now that I think about it, it could be someone who recognizes him from the same platoon.

Nice catch, though it kind of conflicts with the "no new characters" thing.

GX0O8M.gif

false memories as Zack
?
so this grunt might play a big role in the story? interesting

Aesthet1c

Man this looks incredible.

Even though part of me is sad to see them drop the turn based system, I fully welcome the new action RPG system. Can't wait for this!

Kaiterra

Banned
Coffee Dog is right.

A game is something that has interaction and rules to it. FF7 at its core is a game where one moves around in places, anticipating sudden enemy encounters and dealing with those encounters in turn-based strategy "minigames" and getting relief moments (from these battle situations that could end the game) in town settings making other characters respond to a button press and often letting you to buy changes in game variables that have effect in how the future enemy encounters happen.

The story and how the characters look is not the core of the game. That is the animated movie part on the surface of the game.

Changing the absolute core of the game is making essentially a different game. The animated movie might be somewhat the same but the game is another game. You are welcome to think the animated movie part is the most important thing in it, but don't be surprised if people aren't excited to play another game than what they were hoping to play.

Thank you for saying it better.

HeelPower

When looking closely, you can actually see that Barret barely touches Cloud. Look at his reaction to Barret (the eyes!) :) THE DETAILS.

qD7rayT.gif

That's pretty sweet.

This game will have an unimaginable amount of details to go through huh

Its also giving me chills how much cloud looks and behaves like Lightning :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
so this grunt might play a big role in the story? interesting
Is this post some MGSV spoilers:
sort of nifty comment towards MGSV? :lol

GX0O8M.gif

false memories as Zack
?
I refuse to believe it's a new character but it can certainly be a SOLDIER grunt who recognizes Cloud and that might trigger some memories - yes.

Battlechili

Banned
I was excited at first but someone showed me the controller layout and after checking out the trailer again, I realized something: There doesn't appear to be a jump button or way to jump. If that's the case, the gameplay is looking more in line with Crisis Core and Type 0 than it does with Kingdom Hearts and XV, so I'm less than enthusiastic. Don't get me wrong; I like Crisis Core. But FFVII with KH combat has me INFINITELY more excited than FFVII with Crisis Core combat. The lack of a jump button hurts ARPGs immensely

So, there's a menu during the battle gameplay, but I wonder if it's a placeholder. The voicework sounds pretty awful, so hopefully the Japanese is better. Looks like it'll be pretty cheesy, but I'm looking forward to it.

Yoshichan

Its also giving me chills how much cloud looks and behaves like Lightning :D
Those are some dangerous things you're saying, haha! I agree fully though - but the difference here is that Cloud actually evolves into an actual character during the game while Lightning... uh, yeah. I mean, she becomes sort of a character two sequels later.

Ahnez

I really want to see how some battles will work

Like Emerald Weapon (underwater), Ultima Weapon (Flying on the overworld), and maybe the flashback battle when Cloud fights that monster alongside Sephiroth

Gothos

Nice trailer, but that combat... Eh, gimme back ATB :( Not gonna judge it before I play it, though, maybe it will actually work out. We'll see.

Those are some dangerous things you're saying, haha! I agree fully though - but the difference here is that Cloud actually evolves into an actual character during the game while Lightning... uh, yeah. I mean, she becomes sort of a character two sequels later.

I'm surprised to hear you admit that Yoshichan.

I love every single second of this trailer. I can't imagine a universe in which I don't.

Holy shit, I can't believe how exactly like what I wanted this appears to be so far.

Giever

Have you played FF7?

Yes, it's one of my favorite FFs.

Do you realize just how often you are fighting shit?

Some of the time? I really don't believe it's as often as you're suggesting. Also, for as customizable as the combat is, with the materia system, most fights don't require any nuance whatsoever. You can just hold X the entire time.

And, to be honest, that's what I did most of the time, rather than try to most efficiently take out every enemy, including battles with the same layouts I had done 5 times before. Oh, it's three Bombs again, but why would I bother to even exploit their weakness when I can kill them while taking hardly any damage by just spamming attack.

They have drastically altered the combat, which is most of the game. Therefore, this is effectively a new game with the same plot, considering the gameplay has been changed so much.

Gameplay is not only combat. It's also equipment systems, materia systems, mini-games, puzzles, exploration, etc. There is a LOT more to Final Fantasy VII than either the combat, and the plot, so the distinction you're making is pretty disingenuous in my opinion.

And putting aside even what I listed, outside of 'gameplay' and 'plot' there's also music, setting, characterization, pacing, visual design, etc. There's a LOT to enjoy in a game besides the dichotomy you're presenting.

Ishida

Banned
Despite my overwhelming excitement, I think the ONLY thing that bothered me about the trailer was Barret. No, not the way he looks, not the glasses, but his attitude.

He seems to calm, collected and cool, while in the original was desperate, angry and loud.

Mmh... We'll see how it goes.

Drexel

Neo Member
I really want to see how some battles will work

Like Emerald Weapon (underwater), Ultima Weapon (Flying on the overworld), and maybe the flashback battle when Cloud fights that monster alongside Sephiroth

The weapons will prob be dlc!

Cloud's VA sounds like he could voice a character in the original Pokemon run. Or some other 90s anime. Not very ikemen voice at all.

Yoshichan

I'm surprised to hear you admit that Yoshichan.
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm certainly not trying to speak ill of the trilogy itself! FFXIII feels/looks like one of the highest budgeted RPGs of all time and I place XIII-2 as one of the best (top 3) games of last generation! I just don't personally enjoy Lightning as the main character - she's fine but as an individual of interest, Noel/Serah is superior in every way possible.

ANYWAY, sorry for the off topic! Just feel like I had to clear something out :p

I'm the only one not excited* for this game ...

Reminds me of Final Fantasy 13 Versus trailer, very cool trailer with gameplay, but then we don't hear anything for like 5 years, were it turned into another game.

I'll still buy it, but I feel it way to early to get exited for this game ...

*Edit

Top Bottom