• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Chunk 1 (CyberConnect2, UE4) Trailer, "PS4 Console Debut"

Lynx_7

Lol FF is very much not an action franchise now. They're experimenting with FF15 being the first true ARPG as a mainline title and the demo wasn't very impressive, albeit unfinished.

World of FF is turn based, and that's one of their other big console releases coming soon.
I'd rather not set myself up for disappointment. If they announce FF XVI and that's turn based then I'll be very happy. Until then, FF as a turn-based franchise is no more.
World of FF is as "big" a release as a relatively cheap looking spin-off can be. I have no doubt some smaller scale stuff will still be turn based, but mainline titles seems to be moving away from it. FF VIIr would have been the perfect opportunity to return to it, but if the trailer is anything to go by that won't be the case. I know some people are quoting Kitase and all but even if this is a hybrid kind of thing that doesn't satisfy me either since I've yet to play one of those that was better than just average. I'm actually cheering more for a straight up action system than a hybrid.

At any case, I just hope magic is useful here. I don't remember actually ever using summons or magic (besides heal) in KH 1 and 2 since attacking always looked like the better option.

man im glad that they didn't go for the luminous Engine with this game

Looks like with UE4 they can bring this out in a reasonable time - 2017?

Also i can't wait to see Wutai in Unreal Engine 4

Wutai.jpg

Who needs feudal japan/china Assassins Creed

Zukuu

Banned
man im glad that they didn't go for the luminous Engine with this game

Looks like with UE4 they can bring this out in a reasonable time - 2017?

Also i can't wait to see Wutai in Unreal Engine 4

Who needs feudal japan/china Assassins Creed

They HAVE to release it 2017 since it's the 20th anniversary. There is really no other date possible, even if they have to rush it.

I remember playing dirge of cereberus and thinking man it's awesome being in midgar and the mansion etc and thinking how great it would have been to explore those areas with todays graphics in FF7.

The trailer has exceeded everything i wanted back then and i for one can't wait until it's released.

Amazing to think the tech demo from 2005 looks crap in comparison.

Pics_nao

Was never interested in FF because of ATB but if this really is action rpg like 15 then I'm in Day 1. Goddamn that looked good.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looked fantastic. Very nostalgic.

Gameplay looked very meh though, I would imagine it's either a copy of the KH system or the XV Hold down O to do combos system.

Famassu

like so many have already pointed out, if you supposedly loved VII but hated its gameplay, or "shit battle system" something is wrong there.
Now you are just putting words into people's mouths. No one or very few people are saying they HATE the old system. Some just think it is a bit dated and for others the combat being turn-based isn't an important part of the game. They can enjoy experiencing those memorable battles with a completely different kind of system just fine.

Airola

Coffee Dog is right.

A game is something that has interaction and rules to it. FF7 at its core is a game where one moves around in places, anticipating sudden enemy encounters and dealing with those encounters in turn-based strategy "minigames" and getting relief moments (from these battle situations that could end the game) in town settings making other characters respond to a button press and often letting you to buy changes in game variables that have effect in how the future enemy encounters happen.

The story and how the characters look is not the core of the game. That is the animated movie part on the surface of the game.

Changing the absolute core of the game is making essentially a different game. The animated movie might be somewhat the same but the game is another game. You are welcome to think the animated movie part is the most important thing in it, but don't be surprised if people aren't excited to play another game than what they were hoping to play.

Being "relevant" today quite often means being forgotten in the future.

hX0b4GQ.gif

LaqBbsB.gif

Y8Iqw1V.jpg

In the first gif we see a nice amount of the surrounding world. We see people who have been either killed or knocked out. We see people running into a building, so we know there is something in the distance where we can go to. We see a big character waiting for our character who does an impressive jump, landing on the ground and taking a short moment to regain balance, and looking a bit cool in doing so.

We see all this in one single shot, in one single angle.

The new ones:
A guy makes an impressive jump off the train and looks damn cool.

The 1997 version is essentially a John Carpenter to the Jerry Bruckheimer and Zack Snyder of the 2005 and 2015 versions.

Yeah, not digging the "relevancy" and "contemporariness" of the newer versions at all.

Yours,
The Grumpy Old Man Yelling at the Sky

Now you are just putting words into people's mouths. No one or very few people are saying they HATE the old system. Some just think it is a bit dated and for others the combat being turn-based isn't an important part of the game. They can enjoy experiencing those memorable battles with a completely different kind of system just fine.

Super excited to fight Dyne in a more action oriented system.

Turk fights should be amazing too.

Coffee Dog is right.

A game is something that has interaction and rules to it. FF7 at its core is a game where one moves around in places, anticipating sudden enemy encounters and dealing with those encounters in turn-based strategy "minigames" and getting relief moments (from these battle situations that could end the game) in town settings making other characters respond to a button press and often letting you to buy changes in game variables that have effect in how the future enemy encounters happen.

The story and how the characters look is not the core of the game. That is the animated movie part on the surface of the game.

Changing the absolute core of the game is making essentially a different game. The animated movie might be somewhat the same but the game is another game. You are welcome to think the animated movie part is the most important thing in it, but don't be surprised if people aren't excited to play another game than what they were hoping to play.

Being "relevant" today quite often means being forgotten in the future.

In the first gif we see a nice amount of the surrounding world. We see people who have been either killed or knocked out. We see people running into a building, so we know there is something in the distance where we can go to. We see a big character waiting for our character who does an impressive jump, landing on the ground and taking a short moment to regain balance, and looking a bit cool in doing so.

The new ones:

The 1997 version is essentially a John Carpenter to the Jerry Bruckheimer and Zack Snyder of the 2005 and 2015 versions.

Yeah, not digging the "relevancy" and "contemporariness" of the newer versions at all.

Yours,

This is some heavy rose titned glasses shit right here.

All that happened in a single shot originally because they were literally moving on a still picture, not a fully 3d environment.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

The new ones:

Yours,
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I really like this post. Some nice detail in FFVII

Samimista

I can't stop watching the gameplay trailer. I've already seen it at least six times, haha. I'm digging the Versus XIII-like gameplay mechanics. :)

Desi

I seriously do hate the glasses on Barret. My roommate says the same.

Need more to have a idea about how the game plays in battle. The free roam run is awful coming from the character motions in FFXV.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Horrible voice acting. Otherwise, awesome!

OK, FFXV looks really good still, but that's kinda not a good comparison. Compare field shot v field shot and cutscene shot v cutscene shot.

The parts involving characters in cutscenes look extremely good. They don't look as poly decimated as XV characters, and there's a lot of actors in the scene. The hair is sadly like for like between the two right now.

The helmet materials on the shira soldiers looks phenomenal. The wetness shaders on the concrete (and mostly everything else) looks just as good.

The particles actually look like flying sparks. There's loads of them.

The motion blur!!! FFXV doesn't even really have motion blur (right now).

The presentation, at least for cutscenes, is firing on all cylinders right now.

Honestly, regardless whatever in-house tech the two engines share at the moment, or whatever 3rd party tech they do differently: Unreal 4 is doing a better job atm. By a step or two.

Lynx_7

I hope they don't try to force realism onto characters, like making him a "normal' person with samey colored clothes. It's a fantasy video game, embrace it.

The guys from AVALANCHE looked as "anime" as their original selves, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. Though I do wonder what's up with Barret's sunglasses.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Regarding the Turk, it becomes clear when you go frame by frame that it is in fact not a Turk.

f2Cyjxu.jpg

-Horizon-

I don't even remember Versus XIII anymore so I can't say if the combat looks similar to that or not. I'll trust peoples' word on it though.

Top Bottom