• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Review Thread!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Reading this thread is honestly a disaster.... Christ. If you think so highly of FF VII in 2020 I'd suggest experiencing more fiction and playing more games at the very least. Also lmfao at waiting for FF VII remake since the PS2 era. Wow, so much for being a "fan" of the original if you think it needs to be remade. What's with this mentality of worshipping a game then thinking it needs a new coat of paint on it? You don't respect the game, you just really enjoy consuming products.
nothing bad on wanting your favourite games with a more nice coat of painting if the rest remain the same (or with some well though improvments), literally nothing bad except when someone make some mental gymnastic to find a problem with that like you are doing now.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Point still stands. I say this as a fan. The fanbase would have never been happy.
If they did what you mentioned, they would complain about the low effort, or the milking of money, or the price.

let’s face it we gamers can be quite petty 🤣
nobody would ever talk of milking if they never separate the game in 3-4 chapters to get more money, fans literally asked for a well made remake so how can they call milking when square do exactly that with a COMPLETE remake? too bad this is not a complete remake but more of a episodic spin-off...

and price? nobody with a sane brain can talk shit about price for a ultra-modern complete remake with high production value, 1/4 of the of the game is literally sold out on amazon ffs at full price of 70 dollars, imagine if it was the complete game, people pay 70 dollars for shorter and far worst remakes with a smile on their face.

you can make most of the gamers happy if you do the right thing, how many people were not happy with re rebirth or shadow of the colossus remake? (except for puffy face wanda)

Last edited:
Reading this thread is honestly a disaster.... Christ. If you think so highly of FF VII in 2020 I'd suggest experiencing more fiction and playing more games at the very least. Also lmfao at waiting for FF VII remake since the PS2 era. Wow, so much for being a "fan" of the original if you think it needs to be remade. What's with this mentality of worshipping a game then thinking it needs a new coat of paint on it? You don't respect the game, you just really enjoy consuming products.

I assume this was directed to me? Do I really need to explain to non fan why I love game so much that I need a reason to relive the experience? Try telling me what I should and shouldn't like? What are you, some arbiter of taste? What a joke. I respect the game because unlike you I support it. Also unlike you I have an open mind and don't see everything black and white.

jeffyjaixx

If I start the regular edition physical copy of the game today and I continue to play/save until Friday, will my digitally deluxe edition recognize the physical copy's save file and continue from that point on when I start using my digital copy?

Last edited:

saintjules

If I start the regular edition physical copy of the game today and I continue to play/save until Friday, will my digitally deluxe edition recognize the physical copy's save file and continue from that point on when I start using my digital copy?

I've seen this question before. I wouldn't see why not. I'd like to say you're fine in this situation. Maybe someone else on here can co-sign?

base

Banned
I've seen this question before. I wouldn't see why not. I'd like to say you're fine in this situation. Maybe someone else on here can co-sign?
Maybe in the US but not in Europe I guess. Had some history with the previously mentioned situation. It was Uncharted 4. Couldn't use savegames.

In the Netherlands where I'm currently living, sometimes I get East European version of a game.

Last edited:
I assume this was directed to me? Do I really need to explain to non fan why I love game so much that I need a reason to relive the experience? Try telling me what I should and shouldn't like? What are you, some arbiter of taste? What a joke. I respect the game because unlike you I support it. Also unlike you I have an open mind and don't see everything black and white.
I used to be a fan, I just got more experiences and expanded my interests. You've been stuck in the same place for 20 years. Sad.

Of course my dude. I doubt the save data is signed off with some sort of unique license per disc. The core data for the standard will operate the same for the deluxe. :messenger_ok:

I googled just to be sure, old post. "Some don't".

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I used to be a fan, I just got more experiences and expanded my interests. You've been stuck in the same place for 20 years. Sad.
dude what the fuck are you talking about?
i wanted a remake but i still bought hundreds of games since ps1 era and i enjoyed every one of them...no one was waiting for this remake closed in a cave while not enjoying other games...

one doesn't exclude the other 😆

Last edited:

base

Banned
dude what the fuck are you talking about?
i wanted a remake but i still bought hundreds of games since ps1 era and i enjoyed every one of them...no one was waiting for this remake closed in a cave while not enjoying other games...

one doesn't exclude the other 😆
More experiences he said? Why not make Cloud a king of Midgar? If they stole some plot parts from FFXIII why not from FFXV. More experience my ass.

GymWolf

Gold Member
More experiences he said? Why not make Cloud a king of Midgar? If they stole some plot parts from FFXIII why not from FFXV. More experience my ass.
i'm not sure he is defending the remake tbh...
but then again, i don't really know what he is talking about with that moronic statement 😆

base

Banned
i'm not sure he is defending the remake tbh...
but then again, i don't really know what he is talking about with that moronic statement 😆
I think he actually is. He thinks we should adapt to the situation cause we are old-fashioned. :D

Ixion

I think he actually is. He thinks we should adapt to the situation cause we are old-fashioned. :D

He's just shitting on FF7 in general, both the original and the remake.

To say it's sad to still love FF7, one of the most important games of all time, is kind of ridiculous.

Lethal01

I expanded my interests and played many many great games. Doens't mean I now suddenly hate FF7 and Megaman X. The remake is fantastic and i'm I've never liked games less after a little time passes

Last edited:

base

Banned
He's just shitting on FF7 in general, both the original and the remake.

To say it's sad to still love FF7, one of the most important games of all time, is kind of ridiculous.
Agreed.

Just installed FF7 on my PC. Will test it out with the Remako HD Mod.
I still love the chubby models used in the original version. The game still looks OK to me.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

For all the haters. Don't buy it and hope it bombs. And so never get anything FFVII related again comes always to my mind.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Agreed..
I still love the chubby models used in the original version. The game still looks OK to me.

Looks great, replayed it on my CRT just last week.
Playing it so recently makes the people who are claiming the battle system was more complex or difficult in the original sound really silly.

base

Banned
Looks great, replayed it on my CRT just last week.
Playing it so recently makes the people who are claiming the battle system was more complex or difficult in the original sound really silly.
The original version was pretty easy. Never used Summons in the original game (apart from Ruby). Always farming in Junon and the Northern Cratern (location with Reunion music and Magic Ball for AP).

Lethal01

The original version was pretty easy. Never used Summons in the original game (apart from Ruby). Always farming in Junon and the Northern Cratern (location with Reunion music and Magic Ball for AP).
That's what I'm saying, lots of people acting like the REMAKE is actually easier or less complex but the original was never really much special when it came to combat systems. I'd say the remake mostly beats it in that aspect.

I think they somehow just assume that choosing attack or magic from a menu is automatically more challenging than moving and hitting.

base

Banned
That's what I'm saying, lots of people acting like the REMAKE is actually easier or less complex but the original was never really much special when it came to combat systems. I'd say the remake mostly beats it in that aspect.

I think they somehow just assume that choosing attack or magic from a menu is automatically more challenging than moving and hitting.
I've played the remake on Normal (gonna try Hard). The boss battle are challenging. It's definitely not typical select Attack/Magic and push X. You have to keep distance, use Guard, etc. I really liked the battle system.

What I disliked? Music was OK, but some tracks used in the original version are now used at the beginning. They simply don't fit. But it's only my opinion!

P.S: oh and Sephiroth in the original release was the easiest ending boss ever release IMO. With 4x Cut high-leveled Cloud it takes maybe 2-3 cuts to finish him off.

Last edited:
Calling 84 MC once the non-biased reviews swarm in, already at 87 now.

I wonder how many buyer who see the ads realize this isn't a full game?

Shrap

I've played the remake on Normal (gonna try Hard). The boss battle are challenging. It's definitely not typical select Attack/Magic and push X. You have to keep distance, use Guard, etc. I really liked the battle system.

What I disliked? Music was OK, but some tracks used in the original version are now used at the beginning. They simply don't fit. But it's only my opinion!
I completely disagree on both points. The battles, including boss battles, are rarely challenging. I did not die once (normal difficulty) and fought recklessly because there was no fear of dying,

The music is incredible; almost every track is exceptional and memorable. The remixes of the original songs are done so well. It might be my favourite soundtrack of this console generation.

Last edited:

base

Banned
I completely disagree on both points. The battles, including boss battles, are rarely challenging. I did not die once (normal difficulty) and fought recklessly because there was no fear of dying,

The music is incredible; almost every track is exceptional and memorable. The remixes of the original songs are done so well. It might be my favourite soundtrack of this console generation.
Well I actually did two times - one with Behemot and the other one with Apps (don't recall the named used in the Remake, u know, Don's pet). Probably due to using wrong materias and using the initial weapons. I really like the Buster Sword :cool:

BTW@Got full soundtrack link? Found one but not all tracks were included.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
original battle theme can't be beaten, it's still my favourite battle theme of all times\games, i listen to this shit a billion times and still have chills every time, same for the boss theme.

Last edited:

What an absurd statement, thinking I've been sitting 20 years doing nothing waiting for one game to come out, I played many games since then. None stood out to me as much as FF7 did, so it just so happens to be my favorite, and if you watch that video I'm not alone on this, that's why its so endearing for alot people, even after 23 years people are still talking about it, that it got a Remake in the first place before all the other franchises that's all that needs to be said about it. Also I don't believe for a second that you were a fan, that's a deception, a fan means having a strong interest in or admiration for something which you lack. I know why don't you share your favorite game? Don't have one? Then your sad.

base

Banned
original battle theme can't be beaten, it's still my favourite battle theme of all times\games, i listen to this shit a billion times and still have chills every time, same for the boss theme.

There are many tracks which I love. Anxious Heart or The Reunion.

It's the FF7 I want to remember.

It's been at 87 since the reviews first came out on Monday. 4 more reviews have come in yesterday and today:

10/10 - The Guardian

10/10 - M3

9/10 - Games.cz

8.5/10 - GRYOnline

So it's looking like it might go up instead of going down...

I don't understand metacritic, more and more positive reviews coming in and the score doesn't budge? I think the first negative reviews (mixed technically) were mostly attention seeking, but I been noticing more and more positive reviews from other sites, but they're not listed on metacritic? How are the reviews submitted?

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Pre-ordered it earlier and it is in pre-load now. Now I wait for the release.
This is my first Final Fantasy experience and we'll see how it goes considering this isn't the typical stuff I would play.

stickkidsam

Pre-ordered it earlier and it is in pre-load now. Now I wait for the release.
This is my first Final Fantasy experience and we'll see how it goes considering this isn't the typical stuff I would play.
What caught your interest with this one vs other Final Fantasy titles?

Lethal01

Just wait for users' score.
Lol, User scores are pretty much worthless these days especially if you are on metacritic. You just can't trust a site that can so easily be bombed by 0/10s because people don't like tifa's boobs being smaller or the ending being changed.

Ixion

Just wait for users' score.

I've never put any stock in Metacritic user scores, and I ain't starting now. It seems like if a game has any type of controversy, even if it's mostly great, the user score is bombed.

I don't understand metacritic, more and more positive reviews coming in and the score doesn't budge? I think the first negative reviews (mixed technically) were mostly attention seeking, but I been noticing more and more positive reviews from other sites, but they're not listed on metacritic? How are the reviews submitted?

Well, first of all there are a lot of reviews already in. 75 now, so it won't be easy for the overall number to change. If anything, it might go up or down 1 point when all is said and done, maybe 2 at the most. Second, Metacritic weights certain publications more than others, and their weightings are apparantly not public and kind of oddly chosen.

OpenCritic on the other hand weights each review the same, and the overall number for FFVII Remake there is 88.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Lol, User scores are pretty much worthless these days especially if you are on metacritic. You just can't trust a site that can so easily be bombed by 0/10s because people don't like tifa's boobs being smaller or the ending being changed.
It's possible but I doubt ff7 fans will act likik e COD players who wrote bad reviews for killing Russians in the game.

Personally, I don't check metacritic for scores. I try to check sites lik NeoGAF because people coming here are real games.

Top Bottom