• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Review Thread!

royox

I know there are definitely plot point that a lot of people will hate, but most people care more about how much they expand for example on jessies story.
I don't want to say more as to not spoil anything. I'm not saying every change is good but that the game is filled with a ton of good changes that people care far more about than the ending not going how they want.

Srsly who the fuck ever cared about Jessie.

From a FFVII fan.

Really nice review that I don't think I saw posted

"For returning fans, this isn't the Final Fantasy VII your mind remembers, it's the one your heart always knew it to be." Perfection!

Kindly fuck off, Gamespot.

At this point, Im giving it to the second disk before Barret and Aeris are romatically invovled.

The remaking making you care about the characters more is one of the best parts about it. I didn't care for her either, Which is why I'm glad the remake improved it so much.

They didnt need to improve it.

The game is revered for what it is and still stands today. There is a reason the OG game sold like hot cakes from over the PS3, PSP, PSvita and Ps4.

Anyone saying it needed to be improved is full of it and never liked the game or the core FF mechanics anyway and just wanted everything changed so they could say they played an FF game.

Reminds me of what Ubisoft did to splinter cell and Capcom has done to Resident Evil.

Gotta please the short attention spanned. Final Fantasy for the button mash generation of gamers. Gamers who think the new God oF War and Spiderman games are fun.

Last edited:

royox

The remaking making you care about the characters more is one of the best parts about it. I didn't care for her either, Which is why I'm glad the remake improved it so much.
She was a side side side character totally uninportant for the plot or story and everybody forgets she even existed once you reach the shinra building. Expanding on her is filler for the sake of filling. God I even thought she was a guy before she appeared in FFXIV.

She was a side side side character totally uninportant for the plot or story and everybody forgets she even existed once you reach the shinra building. Expanding on her is filler for the sake of filling. God I even thought she was a guy before she appeared in FFXIV.

This.

Jessie is such a no character that had i done the remake, the only voice line would have been

Id even argue that Jessie getting killed off so early had more impact as you never got to know them and it added to the Avalanche plot to make sure Jessie's death wasnt in vain.

Last edited:
Only if the writers fail to make her more relevant to the new story and its themes.

There didnt need to be a new story. Thats not what the FANS wanted.

Like people saying that the OG game still exists and to go play that.... if people really wanted a new story and simplton gameplay that doesnt resemble an FF game, could of just watched Advent Children

Last edited:
Many fans wanted to spend more time in Midgar and explore it further.

Hard to do that in a story-driven game without expanding the story.

They didnt expand the story, they changed entire important moments/plot points, revived dead characters and added a heap of unnecessary nonsense and alternative universe crap..

Its like some fan fiction levels of creative liberties.

Reactions: Fuz
yeah we are out of touch because we are mad that they raped the most hyped and requested (by purist fans) remake of all time.

without the original fanbase who asked for this remake for a decade there would be no ff7 remake to begin with.

tenor.gif

To any "purists" that calls themselves "purists", what a fucking joke! I'm well known as the biggest FF7 fan purist on this board, that means og FF7 IS my favorite game of all time, yet I still love FF7 remake and all its changes, in fact I'm more enthralled now than ever since the game compliments the original, not replace it you dolt. You claimed FF7 is your second favorite, let me guess, FF6 is your favorite? That hardly gives you a right to call yourself a purist. Get the fuck out of here!

John Day

yeah we are out of touch because we are mad that they raped the most hyped and requested (by purist fans) remake of all time.

without the original fanbase who asked for this remake for a decade there would be no ff7 remake to begin with.
Face it, people that think like that weren’t really gonna be happy with anything they came up with.

We tend to hype ourselves up to imposible heights.

saintjules

Is confirmed that main game is only 20 hours long? One chapter in cold steel is 20 hours by itself.

The average playthrough times I've been hearing has been anywhere between 35-47 hours. The lowest was 25 hours by a reviewer (can't remember who).

LMJ

There didnt need to be a new story. Thats not what the FANS wanted.

Like people saying that the OG game still exists and to go play that.... if people really wanted a new story and simplton gameplay that doesnt resemble an FF game, could of just watched Advent Children

Pretty sure this IS what the fans wanted and I expect the sales to reflect this...

This is a REMAKE and as such isn't based completely on the OG FF7, it goes it's own ways, expands on areas and characters we know and brings in new ones...

You prefer the OG FF7, good news it's available on PS, PSvita, xbox, Switch, paystore, the App shop and P.c ans and Mac and isnt going anywhere!

It's a timeless classic and will be remembered as such, the remake changes none of that...

Shoujax

Neo Member
They didnt need to improve it.

The game is revered for what it is and still stands today. There is a reason the OG game sold like hot cakes from over the PS3, PSP, PSvita and Ps4.

Anyone saying it needed to be improved is full of it and never liked the game or the core FF mechanics anyway and just wanted everything changed so they could say they played an FF game.

Reminds me of what Ubisoft did to splinter cell and Capcom has done to Resident Evil.

Gotta please the short attention spanned. Final Fantasy for the button mash generation of gamers. Gamers who think the new God oF War and Spiderman games are fun.

God of War and Spiderman aren't fun? It's been so long since an FF game, I forgot what the fanboys were like. Thanks for reminding me that the fanbase I happen to be a part of can be completely insufferable.

stickkidsam

Gold Member
Pretty sure this IS what the fans wanted and I expect the sales to reflect this...

This is a REMAKE and as such isn't based completely on the OG FF7, it goes it's own ways, expands on areas and characters we know and brings in new ones...

You prefer the OG FF7, good news it's available on PS, PSvita, xbox, Switch, paystore, the App shop and P.c ans and Mac and isnt going anywhere!

It's a timeless classic and will be remembered as such, the remake changes none of that...
Dude, I'm sure plenty of people are gonna enjoy the remake. I'm pretty excited myself.

You know damn well though that when they announced this remake, nobody was thinking, "Holy shit I can't wait to see how they change up the story!" They were thinking, "HOLY SHIT I can't wait to see what the original is like as a modern game". For a lot it was a massive disappointment to see the change in gameplay, but at least the story was still there because they talked about expanding the plot, not changing core elements of it.

There was a reason they showed off the beginning so much and capitalized on the most recognizable sections of the game. This new twist is a gamble based on the good will of everyone who loves the original and those who know of its reputation. Maybe it'll work out great. This isn't what everyone was sold on in 2015 though.

This a reimagining, a reboot, or maybe even a sequel, but a remake it is not.

If you're even remotely a FF7 fan of any kind, you'd agree with this man 100%, if not, you're not a fan but a hater.

Last edited:
God of War and Spiderman aren't fun? It's been so long since an FF game, I forgot what the fanboys were like. Thanks for reminding me that the fanbase I happen to be a part of can be completely insufferable.

Those two games are prettied up and digital representations of

images

Further more...

Spiderman on PS4 gameplay is nearly 1:1 from ps1/ps2. Thats just shows that people have no issue with not changing core elements from an established IP/lore.

Why is it with its 1999 gameplay menchincs that Spider man PS4 is the goat when it did nothing to evolve its gameplay, yet FF7 would apparently have failed if it didnt change core elements of what made it so popular?

Imagine being such a "fan" about something, that you want its modern day representation to be nothing like the original thing you claimed youre such a fan of.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Face it, people that think like that weren’t really gonna be happy with anything they came up with.

We tend to hype ourselves up to imposible heights.
originals fans just wanted the same game with shiny graphics and maybe some more flashed out situation (with quality stuff and not shitty quality padding), it's not really an absurd request or getting hyped to much i think.

Last edited:
originals fans just wanted the same game with shiny graphics and maybe some more flashed out situation (with quality stuff and not shitty quality padding), it's not really an absurd request or getting hyped to much i think.

Yeah, not like Resident Evil Remake shipped much over the course of two generations of modern consoles.

Its not like many people re-bought the ps1 versions of FF7, 8 ,9 the release remasters of 10 and 12 across the ps3, psp, vita, ps4, pc. Same with the MGS series, atleast on the Xbox.

Then again, I live in a world that has people who think FF13 and its off shoots are good games. Im sure those people will love FFVII Remake. Ludicrous plot, simpleton gameplay, audio, colors... the works.

Protip, if you turn the disk over, it acts as a mirror that lets you reflect on your lifes decisions and the person youve become.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
tenor.gif

To any "purists" that calls themselves "purists", what a fucking joke! I'm well known as the biggest FF7 fan purist on this board, that means og FF7 IS my favorite game of all time, yet I still love FF7 remake and all its changes, in fact I'm more enthralled now than ever since the game compliments the original, not replace it you dolt. You claimed FF7 is your second favorite, let me guess, FF6 is your favorite? That hardly gives you a right to call yourself a purist. Get the fuck out of here!
sure dude, you are the biggest fan in here and you are happy with them totally changing the plot for the worst (and you are wrong about ff6, it's not even in my top 50 of all time and i can't see how this matter when we are talking about a totally different game)

enjoy your kh3 spin-off dude and don't judge who think different after 10+ years of waiting for a modern faithfull remake just to have this fanfic piece of shiny crap
WWo5Ga.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, not like Resident Evil Remake shipped much over the course of two generations of modern consoles.

Its not like many people re-bought the ps1 versions of FF7, 8 ,9 the release remasters of 10 and 12 across the ps3, psp, vita, ps4, pc. Same with the MGS series, atleast on the Xbox.

Then again, I live in a world that has people who think FF13 and its off shoots are good games. Im sure those people will love FFVII Remake. Ludicrous plot, simpleton gameplay, audio, colors... the works.

Protip, if you turn the disk over, it acts as a mirror that lets you reflect on your lifes decisions and the person youve become.
i seriously don't understand your post dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Shrap

Those two games are prettied up and digital representations of

images

Further more...

Spiderman on PS4 gameplay is nearly 1:1 from ps1/ps2. Thats just shows that people have no issue with not changing core elements from an established IP/lore.

Why is it with its 1999 gameplay menchincs that Spider man PS4 is the goat when it did nothing to evolve its gameplay, yet FF7 would apparently have failed if it didnt change core elements of what made it so popular?

Imagine being such a "fan" about something, that you want its modern day representation to be nothing like the original thing you claimed youre such a fan of.
God of War is far more challenging with much better puzzles than FF VII Remake. Not to mention the script/acting is leagues better and it has way more exploration, far better side quests and superior combat.

So I guess FF VII Remake is a digital representation of
117-1174951_input-devices-control-panel-technology-integration-childrens-blocks.png

then?

i seriously don't understand your post dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

People claiming the IP/formula needs to be changed up in a current gen remake, when the games I mentioned are still selling like crazy in their original format/formula.

Static camera angles are dead. Res1 and 0 make great sales - The reason we got Res 2 and 3 Remakes.

FFX/12 remasters and the ps1 games sales over the course of the current and previous gen consoles - The reason FFVII is getting "remade".

If the source material os so dated, then why did the originals sell so well to the point that publishers are willing to remake them?

Is it the gaming equivalent of self flagellation? - "I hate this series/ip, but boy would i buy it if they added a third person camera and changed the gameplay and story."

GymWolf

Gold Member
People claiming the IP/formula needs to be changed up in a current gen remake, when the games I mentioned are still selling like crazy in their original format/formula.

Static camera angles are dead. Res1 and 0 make great sales - The reason we got Res 2 and 3 Remakes.

FFX/12 remasters and the ps1 games sales over the course of the current and previous gen consoles - The reason FFVII is getting "remade".

If the source material os so dated, then why did the originals sell so well to the point that publishers are willing to remake them?

Is it the gaming equivalent of self flagellation? - "I hate this series/ip, but boy would i buy it if they added a third person camera and changed the gameplay and story."
crystal clear.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
God of War is far more challenging with much better puzzles than FF VII Remake. Not to mention the script/acting is leagues better and it has way more exploration, far better side quests and superior combat.

117-1174951_input-devices-control-panel-technology-integration-childrens-blocks.png

then?
facts.

sure dude, you are the biggest fan in here and you are happy with them totally changing the plot for the worst (and you are wrong about ff6, it's not even in my top 50 of all time and i can't see how this matter when we are talking about a totally different game)

enjoy your kh3 spin-off dude and don't judge who think different after 10+ years of waiting for a modern faithfull remake just to have this fanfic piece of shiny crap
WWo5Ga.gif

Watch this video, it was directed to you:

If you still don't get it after that, I don't know what anyone can tell you besides you need to look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself this:

RI0Iaoh.png

That said, FF7 may not be for you, you said you only waited 10 years for the remake? Try double that. I've waited 20+ years, technically since the PS2, I could probably find articles of rumored FF7 remake since then, if you need me to I'll look for them, but that's how long I've been waiting.

then?

That was exactly the point i was making.

Anything is more challenging that the games you listed. Toast puts up more of a fight to a buttered knife than the skill ceiling in these games.

Lets play I spy with my neighbors wifes little eye...

7ue3q5jd4o011.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Watch this video, it was directed to you:

If you still don't get it after that, I don't know what anyone can tell you besides you need to look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself this:

RI0Iaoh.png

That said, FF7 may not be for you, you said you only waited 10 years for the remake? Try double that. I've waited 20+ years, technically since the PS2, I could probably find articles of rumored FF7 remake since then, if you need me to I'll look for them, but that's how long I've been waiting.

i said 10 years because the chance of a remake was kinda of a real possibility after the ps3 tech demo, of course i wanted ff7 with better graphics since i finished the original game, who doesn't want that for one of his favourite games? it was the same with mgs1 when the first rumor of twin snakes came out, many years ago remakes weren't nearly as numerous as in the last 2 gen.

if you think that a video can change my feelings just because nomura says that i have to change my feeling you are really naive dude and really the one who not understand the point maded by me and the other people in this topic (that is indeed very simple to understand)

i kinda let slide the change for the combat and the milking episodic operation but changing the plot (you know the first or second most important thing in a jrpg) is a BIG no no.

Last edited:
i said 10 years because the chance of a remake was kinda of a real possibility after the ps3 tech demo, of course i wanted ff7 with better graphics since i finished the original game, who doesn't want that for one of his favourite games? it was the same with mgs1 when the first rumor of twin snakes came out, many years ago remakes weren't nearly as numerous as in the last 2 gen.

if you think that a video can change my feelings just because nomura says that i have to change my feeling you are really naive dude and really the one who not understand the point maded by me and the other people in this topic (that is indeed very simple to understand)

The video is not even about Nomura, so I guess you didn't watch it afterall, I guess the point will fly over your head for all eternity. The remake was created for real fans, sorry but your excluded from the club until you understand what it means to be a real fan. =P

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The video is not even about Nomura, so I guess you didn't watch it afterall, I guess the point will fly over your head for all eternity. The remake was created for real fans, sorry but your excluded from the club until you understand what it means to be a real fan. =P
i'm gonna watch the video, i have time for some comedy material, even if you already did an honest job till now with your posts about "real fans" and what they really want from a remake:lollipop_blowing_kiss:

oh and just to be clear, i'm still gonna buy the game to enjoy the graphics, the cutscene, the music, and all the technical aspect and maybe the combat if it's not too easy, i'm just enough of a fanboy to buy this shitshow just for that even if i'm not convinced with the rest.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I don't much care for the reviews of the changes, but I do want it to sell well. If this mess doesn't get a conclusion Square will just try again in a decade.

Also, crazy spirals. Whatever batshit insanity Ep 1 is manifesting..it's going to go even more off the rails as the episodes go on.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't much care for the reviews of the changes, but I do want it to sell well. If this mess doesn't get a conclusion Square will just try again in a decade.

Also, crazy spirals. Whatever batshit insanity Ep 1 is manifesting..it's going to go even more off the rails as the episodes go on.
can't wait to use sephirot as a good guy with caith sith being the evil mind behind tifa weaponized thermo nuclear boobs...or some shit like this.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
[8.5/10]

[10/10]

[10/10]

[3/5]

M0rE HERE!

That's a really low effort review thread. Why even create one if you don't want to update it with more reviews? Not even a TLDR for the aggregator score.

base

Banned

Remake is a remake. FF7R is a reboot.

John Day

Point still stands. I say this as a fan. The fanbase would have never been happy.
If they did what you mentioned, they would complain about the low effort, or the milking of money, or the price.

let’s face it we gamers can be quite petty 🤣

Reading this thread is honestly a disaster.... Christ. If you think so highly of FF VII in 2020 I'd suggest experiencing more fiction and playing more games at the very least. Also lmfao at waiting for FF VII remake since the PS2 era. Wow, so much for being a "fan" of the original if you think it needs to be remade. What's with this mentality of worshipping a game then thinking it needs a new coat of paint on it? You don't respect the game, you just really enjoy consuming products.

base

Banned
Reading this thread is honestly a disaster.... Christ. If you think so highly of FF VII in 2020 I'd suggest experiencing more fiction and playing more games at the very least. Also lmfao at waiting for FF VII remake since the PS2 era. Wow, so much for being a "fan" of the original if you think it needs to be remade. What's with this mentality of worshipping a game then thinking it needs a new coat of paint on it? You don't respect the game, you just really enjoy consuming products.
Go play FFXIII. Then play FFXIII-2. Then you will know why adding timetraveling shit doesn't fit into FF7.

Top Bottom