• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Review Thread!

Malakhov

Banned
Obviously, because you are unbiased.

From what you are telling me to sell you 1/4 of the full story. With timetravel and extra stuffs apparently. Thanks for the info!
Oh yeah I'm biased because I think that a game that expanded on content with 35-50 hours of game time is worth a full price tag

From what you are telling me is you're just one of them using that ridiculous excuse and felt being called out. Thanks for the info!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah I'm biased because I think that a game that expanded on content with 35-50 hours of game time is worth a full price tag
Impeccable reading comprehension.

From what you are telling me is you're just one of them using that ridiculous excuse and felt being called out. Thanks for the info!
hmmmmmm...

Just want to point out that, by your logic, then the original game's 3-4 hours Midgar section is only a little % of the remake's 25-40 hours Midgar. While the original expanded the story and gameplay beyond Midgar, the new one expands the story and gameplay within Midgar. You'r still paying full price for a full game, even if you're getting something different from it.
^
The original comment was basically how "sure it is padded out but it is long so that makes this splintered game work! This makes it a full game."

and you agreed to it. That's fine but I disagreed and answered your question here

If it is a bunch of padding and people want to see more outside then it isn't.

Malakhov

Banned
Impeccable reading comprehension.

hmmmmmm...

^
The original comment was basically how "sure it is padded out but it is long so that makes this splintered game work! This makes it a full game."

and you agreed to it. That's fine but I disagreed and answered your question here
Let it go, your intentions about this game are truly clear and you aren't making any sense at all right now

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You went from

"the new one expands the story and gameplay within Midgar"

To

"sure it is padded out but it is long so that makes this splintered game work! This makes it a full game."

So no, let it go, you're not making any sense right now and I wouldn't mention 'reading comprehension' if I were you
My original post NEVER mentioned expanding , go back , press control F and see the first time I even say that word within these two pages was in this same post. Again literally pointing things out for you and repeating myself again. I said padded which is what insecure women do irl. I won't do that again. Either you choose not to read what is before you or you stuck corn in your ears. Have a nice day.

Malakhov

Banned
My original post NEVER mentioned expanding , go back , press control F and see the first time I even say that word within these two pages was in this same post. Again literally pointing things out for you and repeating myself again. I said padded which is what insecure women do irl. I won't do that again. Either you choose not to read what is before you or you stuck corn in your ears. Have a nice day.
Repeating yourself won't make much more sense. I also read comments and not misinterpret them such as yourself, to try and twist the meaning of them, to fit a ridiculous argument.

Have a nice day as well. Hope you still enjoy ff7, if or when you decide to pick it up.

Lethal01

Repeating yourself won't make much more sense. I also read comments and not misinterpret them such as yourself, to try and twist the meaning of them, to fit a ridiculous argument.

It's really not worth trying to talk sense into people who are actually trying to claim this is in any way not a full. take a step back and you will see how idiotic you would have to be to make the claim in the first place so honestly just give up hope.
I know it's temping to believe that there must be some misunderstanding somewhere but no they really are just the stupid. Ignore is your friend so you don't get sucked into a conversation due to someone as dense as a black hole.

Malakhov

Banned
It's really not worth trying to talk sense into people who are actually trying to claim this is in any way not a full. take a step back and you will see how idiotic you would have to be to make the claim in the first place so honestly just give up hope.
I know it's temping to believe that there must be some misunderstanding somewhere but no they really are just the stupid. Ignore is your friend so you don't get sucked into a conversation due to someone as dense as a black hole.
Yeah you're right, will do that from now on. Such a waste of time really

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
God I love Danjin44 Danjin44 He’s the most friendly person here AND he’s a man of reason.
147227.gif

Hinedorf

Banned
I've decided to forego playing this altogether and just watch a great HD play through on youtube. Feels and looks more like an action movie than any kind of RPG, I'm glad I got to appreciate the original material.

Visually it might be one of the most remarkable games to date but I would classify this as more of a cross between Devil May Cry and Uncharted than an RPG. Appears to be a better watch than play for me personally

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
What are you trying to criticize here? Are Fellowship of the Ring or The Matrix money scams because they have sequels? Were they not worth their full price when compared to standalone movies?

Was FFX only worth half the price because FFX-2 came to exist? Was FFXIII's 40-60 hours of content only worth 1/3 of a game's price because it's only 1/3 of the total story told?

You are not paying a full game's price to play a 4-hour demo of FFVII's Midgar chapter in HD, which seems to be your perception here. No, you're paying for a 25-40 hour full game based on the original game's first chapter. That does not means that the remake is, by itself, a short game with a short story, when it was entirely re-imagined, expanded and re-written.

Whether the new stuff is worth the price or not, whether it adds to the experience or is pure filler, that will speak more of the quality of the game and the quality of Square's game designers, than on it being "incomplete". But then the decision is no longer about whether you're paying full price for an incomplete game or not, but whether if you should do it for a game that may not be good enough for you.

But based on reviews, user impressions and the demo, all signs point out that FFVII: Remake is a better Final Fantasy game that the likes of XIII or XV, while being about or close to the same size content-wise.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I've decided to forego playing this altogether and just watch a great HD play through on youtube. Feels and looks more like an action movie than any kind of RPG, I'm glad I got to appreciate the original material.

Visually it might be one of the most remarkable games to date but I would classify this as more of a cross between Devil May Cry and Uncharted than an RPG. Appears to be a better watch than play for me personally

I'd say combat wise it's very much an rpg but exploration wise although it's far less linear than the original it's not a skyrim or a witcher.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What are you trying to criticize here? Are Fellowship of the Ring or The Matrix money scams because they have sequels? Were they not worth their full price when compared to standalone movies?
The comparison doesn't apply here. (cont)
Was FFX only worth half the price because FFX-2 came to exist? Was FFXIII's 40-60 hours of content only worth 1/3 of a game's price because it's only 1/3 of the total story told?
These were games made as a duology or trilogy first. The latter being the director literally fell in love and wanted the world to love his dumb waifu.

You are not paying a full game's price to play a 4-hour demo of FFVII's Midgar chapter in HD, which seems to be your perception here. No, you're paying for a 25-40 hour full game based on the original game's first chapter. That does not means that the remake is, by itself, a short game with a short story, when it was entirely re-imagined, expanded and re-written.
You are paying for a full priced game with tons of filler. If they are stretching it to a 25 hour game compared to the original (haven't played 7 in forever 25 hours gets you how far in FF7 disk 3?) that is filler to me. All this to sell you the rest of the story in 3 more installments. This isn't about length but the fact that it seems like they just want to splinter off the game to maximize profits. I understand why really, but I'm not square I'm a consumer and that is pretty anti consumer if you ask me. Specially if it is true that there is time traveling and new story elements added that are a complete turn off to the purists. (I think)

Whether the new stuff is worth the price or not, whether it adds to the experience or is pure filler, that will speak more of the quality of the game and the quality of Square's game designers, than on it being "incomplete". But then the decision is no longer about whether you're paying full price for an incomplete game or not, but whether if you should do it for a game that may not be good enough for you.
Eh, I'll give you that but my point still stands. It feels scummy you know?

Lethal01

i heard that the padding and sidequest are mostly kh\ff15 tier, so yeah...

There are definitely a few really dumb really basic sidequests. But I feel like those people are looking at 1 bad thing out of 10 great things they added. I could of course be wrong and they could be looking at what I would call a phenomenal addition with excellent gameplay and character development and calling it "just some filler bullshit" but personally I can't imagine thinking that unless you have zero interest in the world, characters and gameplay. In which case maybe you just don't like FF7?

GymWolf

Gold Member
There are definitely a few really dumb really basic sidequests. But I feel like those people are looking at 1 bad thing out of 10 great things they added. I could of course be wrong and they could be looking at what I would call a phenomenal addition with excellent gameplay and character development and calling it "just some filler bullshit" but personally I can't imagine thinking that unless you have zero interest in the world, characters and gameplay. In which case maybe you just don't like FF7?
dude, ff7 is my second favourite game ever...but i'm well aware of how modern square works...i can't even finish ff15 and kh3 for how shitty they turned out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Paracelsus

"If we were to try to fit everything into one installment, we would have to cut various parts and create a condensed version," he siad. "But there would be no point in doing that.

"For instance, players will be able to explore many different areas of Midgar in this game that they couldn’t access in the original--if we’re remaking this world, we want to add in areas like this and depict them with real detail."

Nomura admitted that aspects of the original game may be cut from the remake for "various reasons," but "the overall amount of content is only going to increase."

Read the bold.
This is what happens when you give the benefit of the doubt, "they can't be this scummy, can they?"

Last edited:

Lethal01

dude, ff7 is my second favourite game ever...but i'm well aware of how modern square works...i can't even finish ff15 and kh3 for how shitty they turned out.
I get doubting them since you haven't played the game yourself yet. But after playing I say this game blows them out of the water and if this is the direction square sticks to then they are doing better than a lot of other AAA companies.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I get doubting them since you haven't played the game yourself yet. But after playing I say this game blows them out of the water and if this is the direction square sticks to then they are doing better than a lot of other AAA companies.
by raping the original plot with a huge stick and no lube? yeah no...
i wanted a remake with shiny graphic, no a kh3 fanfiction reimagination shit.

Last edited:

Lethal01

by raping the original plot with a huge stick and no lube? yeah no...
By making the plot better for the majority of people. It's fine that you don't want it or you feel they aren't appealing to the most pure of the purist. But they are making a game that the consumers actually want rather than making one that you want despite most wanting something else.

GymWolf

Gold Member
By making the plot better for the majority of people. It's fine that you don't want it or you feel they aren't appealing to the most pure of the purist. But they are making a game that the consumers actually want rather than making one that you want despite most wanting something else.
source.gif

you can't be serious dude.

i have news for you, the purist fans were the ones who asked for this remake 10+ years ago in the first place, not the fanbase who like kh3 and ff15.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
That Majority is praising the shit out of how much they have expanded on the original. There are also a lot of people mad about it being changed but it's pretty clear they are vastly outnumbered.
judging by the spoiler topic here or even the one on reeeee, it looks to me like yet another case of gaming journalist being out of touch as usual.

let's

Last edited:

Lethal01

judging by the spoiler topic here or even the one on reeeee, it looks to me like yet another case of gaming journalist being out of touch as usual.

let's
Or perhaps there are a lot of purists that are out of touch with people that are more casual or don't need things to stay the same? I see a lot of love from most people that aren't hardcore enough to be browsing gaming forums.

I could be wrong though, it's just really not the reaction I'm seeing on discords I'm in or on social media so I'll wait a couple months until I take a stronger stance. It seems the purists have grown up and are mostly totally up for a very different FF7, the vast majority definitely don't want it turn based atleast.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Or perhaps there are a lot of purists that are out of touch with people that are more casual or don't need things to stay the same? I see a lot of love from most people that aren't hardcore enough to be browsing gaming forums.

I could be wrong though, it's just really not the reaction I'm seeing on discords I'm in or on social media .
yeah we are out of touch because we are mad that they raped the most hyped and requested (by purist fans) remake of all time.

without the original fanbase who asked for this remake for a decade there would be no ff7 remake to begin with.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
A remake was requested more by FF7 fans than FF7 Purists.
dude, ff7 fans are also purist, there is no difference.
you can't be a real fans if you don't care about the plot being changed by literal HACKS.

Last edited:

Lethal01

yeah that post make laugh out loud and in italy is 1:20 am...

I know there are definitely plot point that a lot of people will hate, but most people care more about how much they expand for example on jessies story.
I don't want to say more as to not spoil anything. I'm not saying every change is good but that the game is filled with a ton of good changes that people care far more about than the ending not going how they want.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I know there are definitely plot point that a lot of people will hate, but most people care more about how much they expand for example on jessies story.
I don't want to say more as to not spoil anything. I'm not saying every change is good but that the game is filled with a ton of good changes that people care far more about than the ending not going how they want.
oh cmon dude, who gives a fuck about jessie when all the important plot points are different.
you can't be for real...

oh wow now jessie is thirsty as fuck, yuppie:messenger_smiling_hearts:

Lethal01

oh cmon dude, who gives a fuck about jessie when all the important plot points are different.
you can't be for real...

oh wow now jessie is thirsty as fuck, yuppie:messenger_smiling_hearts:
The fans do. I'm sorry that you can't see that you are way more dedicated to things staying the same than the majority of people who loved FF7.
But you literally can't be wrong because you are claiming that if fans like this game they aren't fans so there is no way this game could ever appeal to the fans.

This discussion was a waste of time for both of us. I hope that someday someone will remake FF7 1 to 1 using the remakes assets so you can get a game you want but i'm happy that they made a game that I think most people that liked FF7 will enjoy.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The fans do. I'm sorry that you can't see that you are way more dedicated to things staying the same than the majority of people who loved FF7.
But you literally can't be wrong because you are claiming that if fans like this game they aren't fans so there is no way this game could ever appeal to the fans.

This discussion was a waste of time for both of us. I hope that someday someone will remake FF7 1 to 1 using the remakes assets so you can get a game you want but i'm happy that they made a game that I think most people that liked FF7 will enjoy.
oh i have no doubt that a lot of people are gonna like this, i mean, both kh3 and ff15 sold very good even if they stinks, not sure about who was expecting a more faithful remake tho...

Lethal01

Anyone here beat the hardmode already? It's been fun but I still feel the need to put a few limits on myself.
Honestly I'll probably never be satisfied with difficulty settings in games. Rather than a couple modes I wish they would all include dozens of individually tweakable settings.

source.gif

you can't be serious dude.

i have news for you, the purist fans were the ones who asked for this remake 10+ years ago in the first place, not the fanbase who like kh3 and ff15.

We live in a time when all the best games are being remade in a way to please these nu-gamers who werent born or old enough to have played them and dont even like the originals and their gameplay/story for what they are.

What a joke.

Top Bottom