• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

rataven

Dark Schala said:
I remember trying to use FFIX's guide while on a 56K modem.

That was fun.
Haha, ah, the memories. Stupid PlayOnline. Screw it, I'm heading to gamefaqs.

And now I'm curious if anything is still up on PO for IX's guide.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
edwardslane said:
I feel bad for those that love final fantasy 10 the most and never got to experience FF4-6 when they were new and fresh.

What an odd thing to say. My first FF was VI (which I played around the time it came out.) I do love it, I consider it one of my favorites. My other two favorites are X and XII (XII I decided I love only in the past year or so. I played the International version and I just ended up loving it.) Of course earlier and later games have a different feel, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. One thing I love about the series is the amount of variety it has.

rataven said:
Ha, I've done this too! Recently even. When my local Borders was closing up shop, I grabbed several guides for super cheap that just looked interesting. But they actually sold me on the games, and now I have Dragon Age and Alan Wake in my backlog.

Final Fantasy IX's notoriously crap guide is definitely the worst one I own, but it sounds like Beyond the Beyond's has it topped. I haven't sold IX's guide yet because it is good for an occasional laugh. It is that bad. The other NA FF guides are mostly decent, but I'm thrilled FF has moved over to Piggyback from Bradygames. XIII's guide was gorgeous.

Actually, I recently pre-ordered Skyrim's collector's guide even though I can't quite afford to get the game yet because it looks so nice! I'm really loving some of these hard-cover guides they're coming out with.

Gravijah said:
alright dudes and dudettes it's time for the most important question ever:

wark or kweh

I'm partial to wark myself. Kweh is alright.

Aeana

Gravijah said:

wark or kweh
Well, I think "kweh" is a really ugly way to write it, but that's how I've always said it since it's written as クエ in Japanese.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah said:

wark or kweh
Given that "wark" is actually a word (Scottish/Northern England - noun for pain/ache or verb "to be in pain"), I'm gonna go with "kweh".

rataven said:
Ha, I've done this too! Recently even. When my local Borders was closing up shop, I grabbed several guides for super cheap that just looked interesting. But they actually sold me on the games, and now I have Dragon Age and Alan Wake in my backlog.

Final Fantasy IX's notoriously crap guide is definitely the worst one I own, but it sounds like Beyond the Beyond's has it topped. I haven't sold IX's guide yet because it is good for an occasional laugh. It is that bad. The other NA FF guides are mostly decent, but I'm thrilled FF has moved over to Piggyback from Bradygames. XIII's guide was gorgeous.
I used to be guilty of that too. Most of my game guides are in storage because they're guides to games I don't own, but man I loved reading them from cover to cover.

And YES, the FF9 guide was terribad. Having to navigate through that awful website was even worse. Oddly enough, I never thought to go to Gamefaqs. It was probably a pride thing, I guess. I wouldn't call it the worst guide, though. That honor goes to the F-Zero GX guide. What an awful waste of paper. A friend of mine got it as a bonus for subscribing to Nintendo Power, and he couldn't believe how useless the thing was.

rataven

Lissar said:
Actually, I recently pre-ordered Skyrim's collector's guide even though I can't quite afford to get the game yet because it looks so nice! I'm really loving some of these hard-cover guides they're coming out with.
This strategy guide renaissance is definitely welcome. The hardcovers display so nicely, and they're deceptive too! I love that they don't scream GAME GUIDE anymore.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I do like the wookiewhooo sound they make in FF VII.

On the topic of strat guides I must say that I really like the X-2 and XII guides, and that the XIII guide is I daresay better than the game.

Tristam

What a coincidence, I was bored yesterday and ranked the first ten Final Fantasy games by attribute. Games after Final Fantasy X don't count.

Music: 8 > 10 > 9 > 1 > 6 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 5 > 3
Visual representation: 9 > 10 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 4 > 5 > 3 > 1 > 2
Story & mythology: 10 > 9 > 8 > 7 > 6 > 4 > 5 > 2 > 3 > 1
Character development: 7 > 9 > 10 > 6 > 8 = 4 > 5 > 2 > 3 > 1
Gameplay: 10 > 9 > 8 > 7 > 6 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 1 > 2
--Battle system: 10 > 8 > 9 > 7 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 1 = 2
--Equipment system: 10 > 9 > 8 > 7 > 6 > 5 = 4 = 3 = 1 > 2
--Leveling system: 10 > 9 > 8 > 7 > 6 > 3 > 5 > 4 > 1 > 2

Come at me bros!

Aeana

If you guys haven't purchased the Mother 3 Handbook, you should do so. Even if you never want to play the game (why wouldn't you, that's insane)

Gravijah

Tristam said:
What a coincidence, I was bored yesterday and ranked the first ten Final Fantasy games by attribute. Games after Final Fantasy X don't count.

Music: 8 > 10 > 9 > 1 > 6 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 5 > 3
Visual representation: 9 > 10 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 4 > 5 > 3 > 1 > 2
Story & mythology: 10 > 9 > 8 > 7 > 6 > 4 > 5 > 2 > 3 > 1
Character development: 7 > 9 > 10 > 6 > 8 = 4 > 5 > 2 > 3 > 1
Gameplay: 10 > 9 > 8 > 7 > 6 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 1 > 2
--Battle system: 10 > 8 > 9 > 7 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 1 = 2
--Equipment system: 10 > 9 > 8 > 7 > 6 > 5 = 4 = 3 = 1 > 2
--Leveling system: 10 > 9 > 8 > 7 > 6 > 3 > 5 > 4 > 1 > 2

Come at me bros!

5 being so low on the leveling/battle system makes that list incorrect.

Emitan

Aeana said:
If you guys haven't purchased the Mother 3 Handbook, you should do so. Even if you never want to play the game (why wouldn't you, that's insane)
It's never in stock! I've been waiting for months to buy it.

Aeana said:
I would, but...

g0ghj.gif

Tristam said:
lolwutlist
I'm not the biggest fan of FF7, but ranking its music that low is insane.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
My boyfriend bought that for my birthday the year it was released. I love it! It's so colourful and thorough... far better than some of the professional strategy guides I've seen. The pics of the clay models and the poster jacket are a really nice touch as well.

Tristam

Gravijah said:
5 being so low on the leveling/battle system makes that list incorrect.

The job system is fun to play with, but it could have been better executed in both 5 and 3; also, 5 involved more grinding to gain new abilities than 3, IIRC.

Professor Beef said:
I'm not the biggest fan of FF7, but ranking its music that low is insane.

7 has some great tracks; it's just outclassed by a lot of other Final Fantasy games.

Alright, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna play FFVII again. Tomorrow. I'm gonna pull a Billychu and name the characters after people too.

Also, Gravijah gets to be Cait Sith. Yaaaaaay. :3

rataven

Tristam said:
listiness
FF rankings are like finger prints - I swear no two are alike. I don't think I've ever come across anyone's list that's even close to mine. But in general, I do enjoy all FFs to some degree, barring VIII (just give me Triple Triad!)

Gravijah

Professor Beef said:
Alright, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna play FFVII again. Tomorrow. I'm gonna pull a Billychu and name the characters after people too.

of course i get to be cait sith. he's going to be a mainstay of your party!

Gravijah said:
of course i get to be cait sith. he's going to be a mainstay of your party!
He actually was during a few of my playthroughs. I think the only party members I actively avoided using in the past were Barret, Yuffie and Tifa.

rataven

Tifa always had a spot in my party. I loved her slots and general punchiness. Third usually went to Cid, then Yuffie would rotate in once I had her Conformer. Throw a Morph materia on her and let her go to work.

Tristam

rataven said:
FF rankings are like finger prints - I swear no two are alike. I don't think I've ever come across anyone's list that's even close to mine. But in general, I do enjoy all FFs to some degree, barring VIII (just give me Triple Triad!)

Haha, despite the rankings, I still like 4 and 6 the best because those were the first two I played when I was a kid. For me, 9 was the closest post-SNES Final Fantasy to recapture the 'magic' (or whatever you wanna call it) of 4 and 6.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:

Who's the lucky member who gets to be Aeris?

And if you're going with a 100% run, you can name your Chocobo army.

Billychu said:
Who am I? I'm a pretty cool dude.
Name someone. Just know that if you want to be Aerith or Yuffie, you might not see any play.
KuGsj.gif

Dark Schala said:
Who's the lucky member who gets to be Aeris?

And if you're going with a 100% run, you can name your Chocobo army.
Oh I fully plan on naming all of my Chocobos. Only one gets to be the too-cool-for-school Gold Chocobo, however.

Maxrpg said:
I'll be Cloud. Call me "max".
You think I'm not naming Cloud after me? Just for that, you get to be a throwaway chocobo.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:
Oh I fully plan on naming all of my Chocobos. Only one gets to be the too-cool-for-school Gold Chocobo, however.
Name him Sonic because he's gotta go fast.

You think I'm not naming Cloud after me? Just for that, you get to be a throwaway chocobo.
Well according to Tifa, Cloud's hair looks like a chocobo so it kind of works.

Gravijah said:
wark~

schala wants to be vincent, but she just won't come out and say it. I KNOW YOU DO, MISS DARK.
Wait, since when is Vincent the Princess of Zeal?

Dark Schala said:
Name him Sonic because he's gotta go fast.

Well according to Tifa, Cloud's hair looks like a chocobo so it kind of works.
Maybe. If I can squeeze in "S.Sonic," it would be perfect.

Dark Schala said:
Wait, since when is Vincent the Princess of Zeal?
Well he is pretty (to some), and he has long hair just like Schala.
And they both turn into monsters.

What this world needs is a sequel or remake to FFVIII.

Most gorgeous and atmospheric game world ever... it just didn't have enough locations :(. Vast majority of the world map was entirely barren.. the game ended too soon.

Oh and... I liked all of the characters, except maybe Rinoa. And she wasn't THAT bad. Certainly not on the level of Eiko/Steiner/Quina or something.

Currently loving the shit out of FF12... I just hate how the dialogue is such contrived fantasy claptrap. Annoying because the actual plot is totally fine, if a bit unoriginal. They really needed to give the characters more personality, though - they're all so incredibly one-dimensional. Apart from Balthier I guess.

Gravijah

manipulate said:
What this world needs is a sequel or remake to FFVIII.

Most gorgeous and atmospheric game world ever... it just didn't have enough locations :(. Vast majority of the world map was entirely barren.. the game ended too soon.

Oh and... I liked all of the characters, except maybe Rinoa. And she wasn't THAT bad. Certainly not on the level of Eiko/Steiner/Quina or something.

wait wait wait. are you implying steiner is a bad character? he's awesome. :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Billychu said:
These FFVII spin offs are really getting out of hand.
Ah, so that's where my Chrono sequel went... I don't know if I want it now. :(

Professor Beef said:
Well he is pretty (to some), and he has long hair just like Schala.
And they both turn into monsters.
Alright, alright. I'll be Vincent. I get to have a gun, but the downside is I have to mourn my dead crush who did it with Hojo. Ew.

Apparently Vincent's dad was named "Grimoire Valentine". So he's apparently related to Grimoire Weiss, right? Crossovers. Crossovers everywhere.

Gravijah said:
wait wait wait. are you implying steiner is a bad character? he's awesome. :/
How can anyone hate Rusty?

Gravijah

manipulate said:
Ahaha yeah actually I hate all of the FF9 characters apart from Garnet/Dagger. They're really grating.

how... how is that possible? they're some of the best characters in the series!

Maxrpg said:
FFXII is unique - I don't care much for Vaan, but holy god damn gimme summa dat Vossler! Fucker should've been a party member. Still working through XII. (Basch is boring, Fran eye candy, Balthier is a suave mofo (sup dragon age), and Ashe can go Aeris herself. Who the fuck is Penelo?)

fran is ear candy, not eye candy. i love her voice.

ps fuck you 6 character limit. i don't want to be BRANDO.

Ashodin

Max, the Fighter
Max, Villager of Fynn
Max, Orphan of Ur
CECIL, PALADIN OF BARON (fuck you, FF4)!
Max Klauser, usually a Magic Knight
Max Cole, TREASURE HUNTER!
Max Strife, formerly of SHINRA.
Squall Leonhart, whatever.
Max Tribal, broken and not-of-this-world. You Are Not Alone TRANCE DANCE!
Tidus, fuck off old man! (Jecht Laughs)
Max, Hume
FFXII is unique - I don't care much for Vaan, but holy god damn gimme summa dat Vossler! Fucker should've been a party member. Still working through XII. (Basch is boring, Fran eye candy, Balthier is a suave mofo (sup dragon age), and Ashe can go Aeris herself. Who the fuck is Penelo?)
FFXIII - Ehh.... I like... Snow? Sort of? I like the FF characters that are more macho. Sazh is cool too. I guess I liked Hope the most. When I was playing I was sublimating my personality quirks onto his playstyle.
FFXIV - Ashodin Venteal, of Ul'dah, Eorzea

Tada!

Honorable Mentions: Crono = Max, Serge = Max, Link until OoT = Max

ait wait wait. are you implying steiner is a bad character? he's awesome. :/

Favorite character in all of FF9.
This motherfucker. You know what is up.

EDIT: now I actually think about it, I think my first playthrough of FF8 used Max too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
manipulate said:
Ahaha yeah actually I hate all of the FF9 characters apart from Garnet/Dagger. They're really grating.
You didn't like Vivi? Hm. :(

I thought his character growth was the best out of all of the party members.

Gravijah said:
how... how is that possible? they're some of the best characters in the series!

Well, let's take Steiner for example. Do you actually like him more than Barret? They're basically the same archetype... but Barret isn't annoying 90% of the time, and has the whole Corel/Dyne story thing which was kinda cool. Steiner is one joke that goes on for the entire game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I wanna be Ultros.
Gravijah said:

wark or kweh
Warkweh!
Aeana said:
I would buy the M3 handbook if I had any gil.

rataven

manipulate said:
I love the cast of IX. But I can give you Amarant. Don't remember a thing about the dude. (Is Amarant even his name?)

Lissar

Reluctant Member
You guys are putting me in the mood to play FFIX. Hmm... to play or not to play, I have a feeling if I start playing it again I won't be able to concentrate on much else.

Top Bottom