• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2011: This year it's for children!

Almost to the tower of Walse. So far having 4 knights is making things so easy. Magissa died before she could get three hits off or call her flunky. I figured I might as well master the Knight by fighting some nutkins (2AP for a group of 3) outside the Wind shrine.

And I am so glad I am playing on the GBA. That black thing that fades out the screen on the PS1 version would have driven me nuts. The gba one is so damn fast, and the redrawn battle backgrounds are quite nice.

Now to grind 100AP and see what skill I learn.

I'm playing the PS1 version and that save screen glitch is driving me crazy! I left my GBA over my sister's house and I just couldn't wait anymore! lol

Man God said:
Karnak castle went down like a boss.

and I got... NINJA, NINJA WRAP.

Ninja+Spellblade=OMG.

I am with you on the Mystic Knight + Ninja train. Rolling these two jobs pretty much locks you into Ninja with !Spellblade and Mystic Knight with *Dual-wield for the rest of the game just due to sheer power. The other two characters could do pretty much whatever they like while Ninja and M.Knight take the enemies apart.

If that weren't enough, I happened to be lucky enough to also roll Monk and Chemist. It feels like I'm playing the game on Easy Mode, despite having 2/3rd of the jobs off-limits, no Steal available, etc. I guess I never really appreciated just how easy the game is before...

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Billychu said:
How is he at level 15 with less than 3 hours played? Holy crap.

That's not too terribly far off from where I was in 2009:

ffv-17.png

That's with the better part of a half hour spent aimlessly wandering the Wind Shrine while trying to remember where to get some Blue Magic in the mix.

Emitan

I think I generate negative XP or something. I almost never beat RPGs because I always end up under leveled despite never running from battles.

MORE FUN WITH CHEMIST.

ff5_00001-1.png

Dark Matter + Phoenix = Death Potion. Kills most anything..Except for this bastard.

ff5_00002-1.png

Eye Drops + Dragon Fang = Dark Sigh. Hits foe with darkness, confuse, and sap. Sounds good...didn't work on this guy.

ff5_00003-1.png

Two Dragon Fangs do a Fire/Lit/Ice attack that does damage equivalent to your current HP. This guy absorbs it.

ff5_00004-1.png

Phoenix Down + Dragon Fang grants Reflect + Protect + Shell + Regen.

Best option for my party is to load out the buffs, equip everyone with shields(except the chemist who needs mix), and have the Bard spit Requiem for 20+ rounds and/or the Time Mage break many ice rods. Levisalve(Float: Antidote + Maidens Kiss) is required to survive this Turtle's final attack which is a 3500+ dmg earthquake.

So here is what I do.
Knight guards every round. Guard is immune to physical damage so anything the Turtle does to him ignores everyone else.
Chemist drinks a Goliath Tonic for the double HP and hands out buffs so everyone can at least survive two hits from turtleshell in a row(Gil Turtle's counter for everything).

ff5_00009-1.png

This is the result I get.

ff5_00010.png

Everything goes as planned, except I got overzealous so Lenna and Bootz pay the price.

ff5_00011-1.png

Who cares? I win.

Then I bump into Gil Turtle AGAIN not two steps later. So much for getting the cash to make this whole venture worthwhile.

ff5_00006-1.png

Oh and here's this butthead. Needless to say he was no trouble.

Turns out Dark Matters are pretty dang rare unless you have a thief. But eh my party is good enough as is...far too good enough.

Probably could have slapped !Drink on everyone so we'd all have double HP but uh...I'll save that for later.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
After going back to the '09 thread to find that picture it breaks my heart a bit to see how many pictures are broken now.

And apparently I didn't get lost in the Wind Shrine. I got lost in the Pirate Cave when I should have been in the Wind Shrine. Right. All coming back to me now.

Ugh. About 500 nutkins later I realized I don't want to bother mastering Knight for all four of my characters. 100 ABP wasn't too bad. 150 went by fast. But 350 for mastery?! LOL no. So far all my characters have "equip shield", "equip armor", and "two handed". I decided to opt out of bothering learning "equip sword" for everyone, because tbh it isn't that useful. The other ones might come in handy though.

Now to take down Garula with my LV 12 characters using "two handed". Can't wait to see my next job.

Aeana

kFYEo.jpg

Titan's Earth Shaker did more damage than any of my characters have HP, so this was the only way I could win. My first deaths in the game, but they were necessary. Go dragoon, I guess.

@Grumpyguy99 has gotten the Water Crystal Shards and unlocked 'Mystic Knight'. Time to buy lots of magic!

Cool. Never really used these much. This should cover my elemental attacks. I recall being able to one-shot the robots walking around the Pyramid later in the game.

I was hoping for Summoner, but I think they make things a little too easy. At least I dodged the Berserker bullet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Time for my final job.

Well, time for some exposition then the final job.

Dancer, awesome.

For the first time I've done this I have a totally new party. Last year half my team was the same as the first year.

The only last crystal job I don't like is Dragoon, so I'm happy!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
GrumpyAlien said:
Cool. Never really used these much. This should cover my elemental attacks. I recall being able to one-shot the robots walking around the Pyramid later in the game.

I was hoping for Summoner, but I think they make things a little too easy. At least I dodged the Berserker bullet.

Berserker+Barehand or Doom Axe or Dancing Dirk is fantastic.

Also Mystic Knight is probably the best overall second job. Heavy armor, swords, magic that can be used for healing if you know what you're doing. Synergizes well with most physical classes.

Teppic

Soul Cannon, ugh... My first loss in this run went to this boss. The rest of the defenses were no problem with !Gaia. Soul Cannon is immune to Wind Slash, the attack that !Gaia summons for that sky background. The first battle was a disaster, as I had two White Mages, a Geomancer, and a Berserker. The Launchers that accompany Soul Cannon? Take them out ASAP. I waited too long, and my healers couldn't keep up with the brutal combo of Soul Cannon's Wave Cannon attack and the Launchers' age-inducing missiles.

I changed Faris to a Berserker so that Bartz wouldn't be the sole damage-dealer for this battle. It actually worked out well at first, with Bartz and Faris doing around 800 damage each turn, and with Lenna (White Mage) and Galuf (Geomancer w/ WM ability) keeping everyone healed in between Wave Cannon attacks. Most importantly, the Launchers were killed early in the battle, so the healers were not burdened with clearing status effects. Soul Cannon defeated. Onto the Ruins!

Man God said:
Berserker+Barehand or Doom Axe or Dancing Dirk is fantastic.

Also Mystic Knight is probably the best overall second job. Heavy armor, swords, magic that can be used for healing if you know what you're doing. Synergizes well with most physical classes.

Glad to hear Mystic Knight is that good. Hope it doesn't make things too easy. But I guess w/o a White Mage to cast libra, I will either have to be checking the in-game bestiary or guess based on appearance for bosses to find the right swordspell. Regarding the healing, I am guessing you are referring to choosing the correct armor that absorbs various elements. I will definitely remember that, because outside of potions I am not going to be having much healing available to me.

I was just entering the Steamboat and realized I hadn't learned any skills from Magic Knight yet. Guess its back to the nutkin forest to grind some ABP. Not too bad though. The amount needed to learn the "ga" level elemental spells is only 100. No way I am learning the highest level spells with the 400 ABP that is needed.

Aeana

To make this a little more interesting, Segata Sanshiro has decided to pledge a $1 donation for every confirmed finish of the challenge.

Make him pay, guys.

Ronka Ruins? No problem. !Gaia works very well in this area, taking out most enemies in one or two hits, while Bartz (Berserker with Death Sickle) and Galuf (Geomancer with Main Gauche) can handle the wind-resistant Enchanted Fans. Even the first few sections of the boss were a cinch with !Gaia, and when the boss became resistant to wind, Bartz cleaned up for the rest of the battle. Then came one of my favorite scenes in the game (The perfect music cue!).

Anyhoo, the Earth Crystal! Let's see what my final jorb will be...
"the Earth Crystal job 'Samurai'. Gil = 0"

Sweet, it's time to beatdown some monsters, Samurai Jack-style! Two spellcasters (White Mage and Geomancer) and two damage-dealers (Berserker and Samurai). Not the best combination (Curse you BERSERKEEEEEEEER!), but not the worst.

Wortany

Ooh Transfusion: Sacrifices spellcaster to completely restore an ally's HP and MP.
Not bad at all since it also restores MP. Altough I'd still have to be careful using it of course.
And Vampire is still way to overpowered. But having that as my only healing capability -The summon Sylph doesn't really heal that much- kinda forces me to have !Blue as my secondary the whole time with everyone.

@Grumpyguy99 has aquired the Fire Crystal job 'Geomancer'. YES! NO MORE TILE DAMAGE!!!!

LOL I am enjoying the Gilgabot text. Although I know of one dungeon towards the end where I am going to be thankful for it. Not really looking forward to ringing bells at my enemies. But I am happy to have a Geomancer, as its one of the jobs I have rarely used.

Anyway, the fire boss was a joke with my Mystic Knights wielding Blizzara-infused swords. I also ran out of the place within a minute because I knew there wasn't anything I needed from the chests.

Put in 5 and 1/2 hours tonight so I figure I should take a break. Tomorrow the real fun starts. I am really getting tired of everything pre-Lonka ruins as I have done it so many times.

tiTDw.png

Saved just outside the Tower of Walse. Tried going into the basement of the castle to see if I could hang with the Jackanapes, and LOLNOWAY. Thank god I saved first.

Susurrus

OK, managed to get the water crystal w/ an all white mage team and no freelancer.

vlMzI.png

They're really trying to make this difficult for me...

Toth

@RPGTess can now use the Earth Crystal job 'Chemist' and will beat the game shortly.

Cute lol Time for my Mystic Knight Beast Master Chemist Black Mage combo to kick some butt.

Volcynika

Professor Beef said:
tiTDw.png

Saved just outside the Tower of Walse. Tried going into the basement of the castle to see if I could hang with the Jackanapes, and LOLNOWAY. Thank god I saved first.

I went down there not knowing there were Jackanapes, got into a battle, then it attacked me. HOLY SHIT RUN RUN RUN!

Started my run last night but I'll need to work on my, umm, descriptive microphone skills. I may even just scrap the entire thing and just post interesting moment videos :/

ccbfan

Aeana said:
To make this a little more interesting, Segata Sanshiro has decided to pledge a $1 donation for every confirmed finish of the challenge.

Make him pay, guys.

I wasn't going to do this challenge since I started playing Diablo 2, did it the last two years, and too lazy to make a Twitter Account.

Now I have to.

Gogo

Theif
Berserker
Beast Master
Lancer

Anyone else think is the worst combo possible for this challenge?

ccbfan

CecilMcW00t said:
I have a Ranger, Summoner, and Blue Mage. Any viable way to kill or outlast Skull Eaters in Jachol Cave?

Skull eater is weak against one of the blue magic attacks. I forgot which one but I distinctly remember grinding them last year when I had a blue mage roll.

ccbfan said:
Skull eater is weak against one of the blue magic attacks. I forgot which one but I distinctly remember grinding them last year when I had a blue mage roll.

There is hope! Ok, thanks a lot, I will experiment with the spells I have and figure out what will stick.

Ourobolus

Banned
ccbfan said:
I wasn't going to do this challenge since I started playing Diablo 2, did it the last two years, and too lazy to make a Twitter Account.

Now I have to.

Gogo

Theif
Berserker
Beast Master
Lancer

Anyone else think is the worst combo possible for this challenge?
Earlier I stated that in lieu of Beast Master you have either Bard or Geomancer. Beast Master at the very least can cannon some stuff with !Catch. Bard and Geomancer are pretty situation-specific.

Nista

So far I'm running way behind the rest of you guys, due to a relatively busy weekend.
I started playing Saturday morning at my company picnic, and either due to the overabundance of sun or alcohol, forgot one simple fact...

The DS does not go into sleep mode while playing GBA games.
Oops. Only lost about 25 minutes worth of play. :p

So after discovering my DS dead as a doornail after the party was over, I recharged it and my four knights went about their monster slaughtering business. I managed to get through the canal and into the ship graveyard before being dragooned into that evening's food prep.

Sunday afternoon rolls around and it's time to play once again. This time at the bar, watching the women's world cup finals. The distraction of bbq wings and beer is too much for my stalwart party of adventurers, so I end up having to restart twice from a save - once for forgetting to heal up before the Siren boss fight, and the second for wandering into the poison flowers on the mountain and failing to notice the poison had sapped away all my HP.
ATB is murder when in a crowded and noisy place.

After a rousing game of street hockey and celebration of Japan's victory, Hiryu was rescued and we flew to Walse town. After a brief exploration and more purchases of fine weaponry and armor, the four heroes rested for the night, before the vampires and werewolves could feast on their flesh.
To be continued...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Susurrus said:
OK, managed to get the water crystal w/ an all white mage team and no freelancer.

vlMzI.png

They're really trying to make this difficult for me...

Equip Rods is actually really good. Just grind out some money before leaving Karnak (fight the wolves in the forest for some easy money, buy a ton of rods, break them whenever you need that extra juice.)

ccbfan

Ourobolus said:
Earlier I stated that in lieu of Beast Master you have either Bard or Geomancer. Beast Master at the very least can cannon some stuff with !Catch. Bard and Geomancer are pretty situation-specific.

Don't underestimate bard.

I had it last year and I was amazed how good it was.

1. Bard songs are godly. They have like a 99 percent success rate. Stop song will destroy regular enemies.

2. Bard is great against exdeath. Since all the singing in the first part remains in the second part.

3. Godly against Undead.

Forgot about Geos though. Haven't really used them to give an accurate accessment

Well this is just great. After getting a Berserker I get a Bard, I can now finally heal but only in the form of Regen. Galuf the Berserker seems to enjoy hitting holes instead of the huge sand worm that's trying to kill him, which is extremely annoying when the only other option I seem to have is spam Aera.

I'm not too familiar with Bards, is that level up song as abuse worthy as it sounds?

V_Bards.PNG

Link Man

Banned
Ourobolus said:
I don't really across the entire job board, it's just that compared to the other classes for that crystal it's pretty meh.
I would have loved a Bard in place of my Beastmaster.

Wilsongt

The Dragonpod or whatever is going to be a pain in the ass... No way to block the underling's attacks without Golem... No high-damaging magic attacks... shit.

Ourobolus

Banned
Link Man said:
I would have loved a Bard in place of my Beastmaster.
Yeah...in retrospect I would agree. I liked having a Beastmaster in 2009 since I also had a Blue Mage, but after I got the skills I needed, he just became a potion/ether machine. A Bard would have been nice instead, but then I wouldn't have had Mighty Guard.

Top Bottom