• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2011: This year it's for children!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aeana said:
To make this a little more interesting, Segata Sanshiro has decided to pledge a $1 donation for every confirmed finish of the challenge.

Make him pay, guys.

Just talked to Segata, and...

I will match Segata's donation up to $100 ($1 for every finisher up to 100 finishers).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Stumpokapow said:

I will match Segata's donation up to $100 ($1 for every finisher up to 100 finishers).

Deadline to finish? I'm going up the mountain of World 1 right now.

Zane

4iEAw.png

Hello, what's this?

Cdx0o.png

It's Shiva and her goon squad! Now, I absolutely could have skipped this battle. I lost out on Summoner, after all. But hey, I like sidequests.

ib5ve.png

Shiva went down pretty easily. Lenna cast the Blue spell Flash, which blinded the soldiers. Then I powered up my Mystic Knights with Fira spellblades. The soldiers went down in one hit while Shiva took three hits.

CQjHo.png

:toot:

Ourobolus said:
Yeah...in retrospect I would agree. I liked having a Beastmaster in 2009 since I also had a Blue Mage, but after I got the skills I needed, he just became a potion/ether machine. A Bard would have been nice instead, but then I wouldn't have had Mighty Guard.

Controlled enemies and confused enemies have the same skill selection. So Alluring Air could have still gotten you Mighty Guard.

Ourobolus

Banned
PataHikari said:
Controlled enemies and confused enemies have the same skill selection. So Alluring Air could have still gotten you Mighty Guard.
Huh. I was under the impression that there were only certain skills that must be Controlled for them to be cast. Damn, I'm learning shit left and right this year.

So yeah, I suppose I concede Bard being better than Beast Master. Still on the fence about Geomancers though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheSeks said:
Deadline to finish? I'm going up the mountain of World 1 right now.

August 31st.

If the game takes you 30 hours, your time will be worth 6 cents an hour if you kill Exdeath!

Jucksalbe

Banned
What's that "???" blue magic you can learn? I don't even understand why I learned that one, but even more important: What does it do?

Jucksalbe said:
What's that "???" blue magic you can learn? I don't even understand why I learned that one, but even more important: What does it do?

It does Max HP - Current HP damage. In other words if you have 500 Max HP and have 250 HP currently, it'll do 250 damage.

Aeana

zAI91.jpg

What a jerk Manticore was. I had no way of surviving aqua breath, so my only recourse was to break 3 rods as quickly as possible.

bon

I made a little progress on the toilet and got the Fire Crystal. Now I have a Geomancer.

Are Geomancers good?

Aeana

bon said:
I made a little progress on the toilet and got the Fire Crystal. Now I have a Geomancer.

Are Geomancers good?
They can be very good, depending on the situation. Their !Gaia ability calls upon the element of the current battlefield, and can be pretty strong in many cases. Their bells are also pretty decent in some cases, because their attack power is based on the magic stat and they attack magic defense instead of physical defense.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
FxCam_1311007379330.jpg

Ef-rit!

FxCam_1311007546158.jpg

Pretty easy fight, even though I accidentally healed him twice with my Geomancer. :\

FxCam_1311008813435.jpg

This is why nobody reads.

FxCam_1311009183431.jpg

No sweat.

bon said:

Are Geomancers good?

So far I've found my Geomancer to be decent. The biggest issue is damage is inconsistent, even using the same spell against the same enemy.

Zane

Rewzh.png

Wow, this place is fancy! I really love the art design of this dungeon.

Dlmra.png

These conveyor belts lead you to various treasures. Whee!

wcsAq.png

I died to this guy on my first attempt. But on my second try, a broken Frost Rod and some Blizzara Spellblades made short work of him.

7Ile8.png

Heh, more like Liquid LAME.

zFm4C.png

Aw shit.

KDhIV.png

I made it out with all the treasure though! Now for one more thing.

S6xeJ.png

:toot:

mADOv.png

Why me.

SOLk7.png

WHY ME.

This game begs for a full-on remake. I am sure SE will do so on the 3DS, then either port it to the Vita or remake it yet again but in 2D, FFIV Complete-style.

Zane

Aeana said:
You can't complain if you have blue mage and mystic knight, two of the best jobs in the game.

i guess

What's better on a Geomancer: Knifes or Bells? I have a Diamond Bell and a Main Gauche.

erragal

Aeana said:
You can't complain if you have blue mage and mystic knight, two of the best jobs in the game.

Also: Geomancer with Blue Magic for bad environments is incredibly powerful anyway. Not sure why there's so much hate for the class in this thread; I liked using one even with access to all the classes.

Aeana

Zane said:
i guess

What's better on a Geomancer: Knifes or Bells? I have a Diamond Bell and a Main Gauche.
Bells are good unless the target has high magic defense, then use knives.

Link Man

Banned
Ourobolus said:
Yeah...in retrospect I would agree. I liked having a Beastmaster in 2009 since I also had a Blue Mage, but after I got the skills I needed, he just became a potion/ether machine. A Bard would have been nice instead, but then I wouldn't have had Mighty Guard.
Isn't Mighty Guard just Haste, Regen and Float in this game? If so, Bard takes care of 2/3.

I'm crazy overleveled for this point in the game. Oh well it's my nature.

ff5_00012-1.png

Unfortunate overlap there. Poor Bootz got squished by a Moogle.

ff5_00013-1.png

As long as an enemy isn't immune to Fire, Lightning, Ice, or Holy the Chemist is going to put in work.

ff5_00014-1.png

No sweat.

ff5_00015-1.png

Metamorpha is a nuisance. He turns into a couple of summons but doesn't do anything thanks to Bard.

ff5_00016-1.png

Sure enough this mix zerks Metamorpha so he is unable to change forms.

ff5_00018-1.png

Oh yes. Haste2 I mean. Quarter will see no work.

Bard also has to sit around with a thumb up their arse while doing the speed song.

I haven't maxed all of my classes out yet but when that time comes I'll look into what combination of abilities I want to roll with.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Zane said:
wcsAq.png

I died to this guy on my first attempt. But on my second try, a broken Frost Rod and some Blizzara Spellblades made short work of him.

Just fought that one, too. On my second attempt I discovered that Gravity actually works on bosses (or at least this one), made the fight a lot easier.
Can you somehow stop him from countering every single one of your attacks?

Emitan

I've got a Chemist, Ranger, Time Mage, and Thief. What mixes should I be using with my Chemist to make it easier?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Gilgamesh said:
lMQMM.png

FFV With All Thieves
Me too. I bought 99 potions and grinded like crazy to blow through some of the tough spots, steal as often as you can since you get some great stuff and make good use of flee when you need to (perfect for jackanapes).

Billychu said:
I've got a Chemist, Ranger, Time Mage, and Thief. What mixes should I be using with my Chemist to make it easier?

Look up a list of monsters you can steal Dark Matter from.

ff5_00019-1.png

Two Dark Matters leads to Shadow Flare.

ff5_00020-1.png

Damage is okay and sap is slapped on as well.

Dark Matter is also used in absurd mixes like Death Potion(DM + Phoenix Down). Which will kill a surprisingly large number of enemies.

Tiktaalik

I just registered so we'll see what class I get soon...

I think I'm going to send an email out to a bunch of my (nongaffer) ex-coworkers about this because a lot of them are old school jrpg fans and they'd probably be interested.

I'm going to be playing the FFVAdvance version and I understand that there's additional classes in this GBA version? I'm guessing this event ignores those?

Aeana

Jucksalbe said:
What job is "Ranger" in FFV Advance? Is that "Beastmaster"?
Ranger and bard you don't get until a little bit after the first 3 fire crystal jobs. Just keep playing.

Tiktaalik said:
I'm going to be playing the FFVAdvance version and I understand that there's additional classes in this GBA version? I'm guessing this event ignores those?
Yeah, it kind of sucks really, I don't quite get why though, it's not like the three new GBA classes are overpowering. I wouldn't see a problem with letting GBA players add a 5th job to their randomized list.

Edit: Well, as long as it was also a rule that Berserker had to always be in your party no matter what if you got it. Because I enjoy others suffering.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Zane said:
i guess

Bells can be helpful, though I personally had my Geomancer use the Dancing Knife for the end game last year. Worked great in my party formation (Black Mage, Summoner, Geomancer, Dancer), but I imagine YMMV.

squall211

Stumpokapow said:

What the hell. I'll make it even more interesting.

I'll double both your donation AND Segata's donations. No limit (unless I somehow have some crazy unforseen money problem between now and the end of the event!).

Make me pay people.

Edit: Took out the $ limit. Its for a good cause.

Zane

So I'm guessing there's no way for people who didn't get Beastmaster to get certain Blue spells such as White Wind? Are we allowed to have someone switch just for one battle to get these spells?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Why is that whenever I use Spellblade none of attacks hit? Argh! >.<

Having problems with Ex-Death in the first run up through his castle.

Top Bottom