• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY IV DS SCANS !

tnw

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Oh, I meant just both playing it. The game is fun 2-player though!

Original on a tv with a SNES controller ftw. You and tnw should try my flying pig method, it's funny (see cap earlier)!

Hm, maybe I will!

And I know it's cheating, but turbo and save states do make playing older games a lot more enjoyable if you haven't completely mastered certain things/don't want to invest that much time in mastering it.

Red Scarlet

JayDubya said:
Flying pig method? :lol *goes and looks for earlier cap*

Since all pig status does is prevent you from using spells, a flying/jumping pig is just as powerful as a human one, but is funny (ironic?) to me. Also kind of fun/challenging? is to beat the last place/boss with Lamia Harps equipped to 4/5 party members.

Oh I use save states for some things (mainly finding things out), but I'm just so used to playing on a console most of the time the normal game timing doesn't bother me in most cases.

Red Scarlet

I'm not aware of anyone here that performs them.

IT HAS BEGUN

ff4ez.png

yay dumb squigglies from carts

Tabris said:
I love FFIV. I think the DS will get FFV and FFVI remaked over the next 3 years. I am for a remake of FFV and VERY against a remake of FFVI because of *graphic discussion* and fond memories.

Just because FF6 was practically top of the line when it came to 16 bit visuals doesn't mean it shouldn't receive an overhaul. Infact, it's among the few in the series that deserves an upgrade.

Shouta

pancakesandsex said:
were there changes made to the gba version for difficulty? text skip?

No changes to the difficulty between the original SNES version and the GBA one (Or the Wonderswan version for that matter) as far as I know. Scarlet may know more though.

The major difference between the two is that the fast run option. It makes backtracking and getting through areas much quicker so you cut a ridiculous amount of time from the game. The game is designed to be played with the crawl pace and that kind of inflates the time spent with it if you played the original versions.

The game doesn't hold up nearly as well as FF5 or FF6 and the game's design kind of shows it when a 30-40 hour game originally is reduced to 9-12 hours. This is why I think a FFIV remake is kind of a waste unless they really beef up the content more.

Shouta said:
No changes to the difficulty between the original SNES version and the GBA one (Or the Wonderswan version for that matter) as far as I know. Scarlet may know more though.

The major difference between the two is that the fast run option. It makes backtracking and getting through areas much quicker so you cut a ridiculous amount of time from the game. The game is designed to be played with the crawl pace and that kind of inflates the time spent with it if you played the original versions.

The game doesn't hold up nearly as well as FF5 or FF6 and the game's design kind of shows it when a 30-40 hour game originally is reduced to 9-12 hours. This is why I think a FFIV remake is kind of a waste unless they really beef up the content more.

doesnt the ps1 version have run? i coulda swore......

Red Scarlet

The Wonderswan Color, PS1, and GBA versions let you run in towns/dungeons.

The GBA version is more or less a port of the Wonderswan Color version with the wonky ATB intact and new stuff added. Both are based on the original release (aka 'hardtype' to some people) with some glitches taken out (can't dupe at all or maybe 1 thing then it stops working, I don't think you can skip the Ancient Cave anymore, and I can't remember if steal->equip works in them but I am thinking no, and they probably took out the hidden items on the ground in a couple spots).

Due to the wonky ATB, some enemies are a lot easier (some can be beaten before they perform an action) while some characters/commands are nerfed (Jump and Charge mainly).

Gruco

Banned
Ugh, am I actually going to be tempted to play this thing again. I hope not....

FF4 is by far the most fun to blow through speed style though.

edit - also, I was convinced that Beserk was nerfed on the GBA version.

Red Scarlet

I don't think I cast it nor equipped the Avenger, so I couldn't say. I wouldn't doubt it was since the other nerfed commands were time-based.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Verboten said:
When they redid FFIII(DS)'s soundtrack, did Nobuo help out in any way (beyond that one black mages track) and were new tracks added?
no new tracks afaik, the dudes that handled the music FF1/FF2 PS1 were the ones responsible for the music in FF3 DS. they mighty good job in FF3 DS

Red Scarlet

Well, in the JP one, it's supposed to be spelled like the Cain from the bible. Maybe they thought how it's spelled/pronounced?

AniHawk

pancakesandsex said:
And this is your 1st run through the game ever? lemme check my p1 version time....

yeah i had 40 hours on it, and i thought the last boss was fairly difficult.....
this was a fairly recent playthrough.

I rarely go back through RPGs if I don't have to, even on the ones I love (DQVIII and SoA). I'm not sure if there was a text skip or if it was just that much easier or what. I know there were instances that I left the game on and watched The Office or The Simpsons for 30 minutes (because I do that with EVERY single game).

Anyway, most Final Fantasy titles took me 36-42 hours. This one was much much shorter. I almost preferred it that way, since it was sort of a hilarious way at going through the story. Losing/adding so many cast members in the span of about 8 hours was ****ing great.

Not sure if i'll double dip with FFIV. The character designs look just odd to me in that pseudo SD form.

Plus i played this game late (PSOne version) and the story that most people raved about just didn't grab me all too much. It was pretty good, but there were way too many
fake deaths just so they could free up a roster spot for a new character
. Once was ok, but after a while it just got silly.

Chris Michael said:
yeah, that's great.

the conference/party starts Friday in the AM in Japan, right?

So late, late tomorrow?

Goddamnit I can't wait for the FFXIII trailer descriptions. Any Japanese GAFers going to this thing, since it's open to the public?

zoku88

gketter said:
t was pretty good, but there were way too many
fake deaths just so they could free up a roster spot for a new character
Yea, for serious.
I loved that. I mean, who survives after jumping off a airship and blowing themselves up a la Cid?

tnw

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
the conference/party starts Friday in the AM in Japan, right?

So late, late tomorrow?

Goddamnit I can't wait for the FFXIII trailer descriptions. Any Japanese GAFers going to this thing, since it's open to the public?

You know I just found out it's at Makuhari Messe. Apparently my company is going to providing some of the big displays, so I think I might go!

The tokyo game show was lame last fall. So many people in cosplay, and most gamers are from the post FF7 generation and I find it hard to/DO NOT WANT to relate to them.

zoku88 said:
Yea, for serious.
I loved that. I mean, who survives after jumping off a airship and blowing themselves up a la Cid?

Yea that was the true breaking point for me. That was the moment when it just got silly. Especially when you combined it with the
flip/floppin Kain. Hey he's on our side...er..nope he's controlled again!

PolyGone

Banned
gketter said:
Yea that was the true breaking point for me. That was the moment when it just got silly. Especially when you combined it with the
flip/floppin Kain. Hey he's on our side...er..nope he's controlled again!

yeah but how old were you when you played it? It was designed for the average 12-15 year old. Despite itself it was still the most engaging story and cast we'd seen in an RPG.

ethelred

PolyGone said:
yeah but how old were you when you played it? It was designed for the average 12-15 year old. Despite itself it was still the most engaging story and cast we'd seen in an RPG.

Nah, it wasn't.

Exitus_pt

Eventhough i just got the GBA version i can`t pass on this one.
FFIV has been my favourite FF along with VI so i guess i`ll have to help square milk their cow:lol
Just have to import it though...since FFIII DS only reached EU last week i can` even imagine when will this show up...

acidviper

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Hey guys... you'd think with this being a thread about a remake of FFIV, that there might be more use of the spoiler tag, rather than just flashing boss names everywhere. Just saying. I've not played the game yet :(
I think as opposed to say a movie or something where 80% of GAF has not seen it. IMHO 80% of GAF has played/beat FFIV.

zoku88

acidviper said:
I think as opposed to say a movie or something where 80% of GAF has not seen it. IMHO 80% of GAF has played/beat FFIV.
Commonly known or not, it's still a spoiler for 20% of GAF (which is still a lot of ppl.) The spoiler tag should still be used.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
zoku88 said:
Commonly known or not, it's still a spoiler for 20% of GAF (which is still a lot of ppl.) The spoiler tag should still be used.

Soylent Green is people. Darth Vader is Luke's father. The princess is in another castle.

tnw

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I am fixing to Paladin-up at around 1:20, where you at, tnw?

I just beat super metroid in 1:23 with 100% (followed your cue of shine sparking up the final vertiacal passage)

it's not the weekend yet!

Red Scarlet

Oh. Well I'll try to beat this today.
Supercool time on SM. You *can* spark all the way up to the top, but it is risky. Sometimes it works, sometimes you go about 5 blocks up and the spark stops.

tnw

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I am fixing to Paladin-up at around 1:20, where you at, tnw?

How!? I just zoomed through everything, ran away from most battles, just got palom and porom and I'm at 1:53.

I picked up a few treasure chests and made a few wrong turns. Playing on turbo probably doesn't helped.

Yixian

Banned
Speaking of FFIII, the oldest FF game I've played is VI, which I loved. I wonder, wold I enjoy FFIII for the DS? And how similar should IV be to III in terms of gameplay?

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Yixian said:
Speaking of FFIII, the oldest FF game I've played is VI, which I loved. I wonder, wold I enjoy FFIII for the DS? And how similar should IV be to III in terms of gameplay?

FFIII was the first game in the series to have a good developed story and nice characters. Indeed, it's quite enjoyable on the DS and pretty solid in gameplay, art and music. I recommend it to everyone.

And about FFIV in relation of FFIII... they're a bit similar.... but the scenario is quite different. I prefer FFIII (DS) over FFIV (SNES), because the FFIV for Super Nes was too cheesy and easy. The remake should be wonderful.

Yixian said:

I haven't played FFIII or IV, but I do know that the characters in IV are less unique than in FFVI where each character has a unique ability like Tools, Blitz, and Mime. FFIII has the job system which lets you change your characters around to perform certain functions, but the game's actual battles have been described as tedious and frequent. The story, while more fleshed out that its predessors, isn't considered to be of the same caliber as FFIV onward. I skipped out on FFIII because of the reviews I read, but if you don't mind constant battle then go for it.

Grampasso

omg rite said:
a) FFIV looks AWESOME.

b) Why are people bitching about Zidane? He looks fine, christ. Enough with the "hate Nomura for no reason" crap. It looks like Zidane.
Honestly, no.
That one doesn't look like Zidane at all.

Anyway, FFIV looks really impressive, FFIII engine has been GREATLY improved IMHO if it's really the same.

Eteric Rice said:
They should have gotten the Crystal Chronicals guys to do it. :|

I think not. I find this easier on the eyes. Maybe it's the babified CC look, but FFIV looks a lot more appealing to me.

Eteric Rice

Magicpaint said:
I think not. I find this easier on the eyes. Maybe it's the babified CC look, but FFIV looks a lot more appealing to me.

Well, I'm sure they could do the models in a non-Chibi way. The Chibi thing is CC's style, they could do normally if needed. :)

Top Bottom