• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY IV DS SCANS !

Eteric Rice

Tabris said:
Start what? You mean trying to find out why someone would not want a closer translation of Amano's art style instead of SD art.

I mean did they hire the guy who does character designs for super robot wars? cause it looks just as dumb as that does.

Start this thread into another graphics debate. FFIV remake isn't on any of the other consoles, that's life.

AniHawk said:
I wasn't speedrunning. I was pretty much going from place to place, killing all the bosses, sacrificing all my main players. The entire game felt like the part from Spaceballs where they fastforward the movie.

It may have been a fantastic title way back in the early 90s, but it just hasn't aged well.

there is NO way you beat it in 10 hours on your 1st play, even a grind free, straight path playthrough.

scarlet, whats your best time on FF4?

haircut

FFIVGBA took me well over 10 hours and I even died a few times
Mom Bomb is kind of hard, as are a few summons

tnw

Banned
Yeah, I can't imagine how you beat the game in 10 hours.

Y'all are spoiled with your flashy graphics and developed stories now. Appreciate your elder (games)!

Red Scarlet

I don't know if it's my absolute best, but this was what I got last summer in front of the last boss on the original:
ff4beattime.png

SDA's best time for the US SNES release is 3:56, and ultimagarden has no time listed for any version.

As to Tabris's rant/question, I'll raise my hand. Not everyone's a graphics whore, and some remakes shine more in the new stuff implemented dept over graphical changes dept. They may have both, but the new stuff can be a huge, if not larger factor for playing a remake with people.

Tabris

Eteric Rice said:
Something that isn't a graphics debate.

Like FFIV, chances of the other FF games coming to DS, etc.

Plenty of things.

I love FFIV. I think the DS will get FFV and FFVI remaked over the next 3 years. I am for a remake of FFV and VERY against a remake of FFVI because of *graphic discussion* and fond memories.

Oh, and I want to change my quote, I think Lufia 2 may be the best thing ever on the SNES but very debateable with FFVI.

Oh, and SD sucks.

Red Scarlet said:
I don't know if it's my absolute best, but this was what I got last summer in front of the last boss on the original:
ff4beattime.png

SDA's best time for the US SNES release is 3:56, and ultimagarden has no time listed for any version.

As to Tabris's rant/question, I'll raise my hand. Not everyone's a graphics whore, and some remakes shine more in the new stuff implemented dept over graphical changes dept. They may have both, but the new stuff can be a huge, if not larger factor for playing a remake with people.

the concept of that being approached on a 1st playthrough is absurd

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
pancakesandsex said:
there is NO way you beat it in 10 hours on your 1st play, even a grind free, straight path playthrough.

scarlet, whats your best time on FF4?

If you do the extra stuff...it's pretty hard even. The queen and king of summon world place are tough.

Rufus

tnw said:
bah, you're a kid. I played right when it came out (best christmas present evar <3) and since then. It's not terrible.

And at the time, the game was absolutely gorgeous. The music was great too. The transparancies, the colors, etc. It was beautiful

Maybe to a 21 year old it's rediculous, but it wasn't to me. The fact that it actually had an evolving story, unlike FF1, was pretty special for an RPG at the time. I think you're being pretty hard on it.
"At that time" are the key words. These games are almost ancient. If you've never played them before and lack the fond memories of an awesome Christmas present and nights in front of an almost mute TV just so your parents wouldn't hear, then you're most probably not going to enjoy them very much.

I can't stand FF1, never tried II, III or IV and haven't spend much time with V either. Remakes included. It's just - ugh! These games don't do anything for me. After a very short time (about half an hour for the original FF1 on an emulator) I just lose interest.
If the IV remake gets the same treatment as FFIII, which I was hyped for at first, then color me wary but secretly hoping for more than just a graphical update.

Tabris

I haven't played FFIVa in a long time as the last time I played FFIV was on the PSOne (I do own the GBA one but haven't had a chance to play it and I'll now trade it in since it's now coming out on DS which I'll buy even though I think SD sucks), so I'm not sure if it's been changed, but Zemus/Zeromus is an absolute bitch without leveling up a little bit.

He can one shot your party until you hit a certain level, so I think just the 1hour you gotta spend leveling if you had rushed through the game to beat Zeromus would throw him off that 10hrs.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I don't know if it's normal, but I needed to do some serious grinding in the final area of the game too. I was able to waltz through pretty much the entire game, until the final dungeon came along and the continuous appearances of Behemoths started to really rape my party. Final area is definitely not that easy iirc

Red Scarlet

Behemoths mainly counter attack, so if you don't go berserk on them you can get through without being damaged at all (via the Blink spell and Edge's mirage thing). Oh, and don't use magic.

What's weird is I find the last dungeon harder on Easytype, due to the changed attack schemes of enemies (mainly Red Dragons), but that probably has to do with being much more accustomed to what they normally do.

Rufus said:
"At that time" are the key words. These games are almost ancient. If you've never played them before and lack the fond memories of an awesome Christmas present and nights in front of an almost mute TV just so your parents wouldn't hear, then you're most probably not going to enjoy them very much.

I can't stand FF1, never tried II, III or IV and haven't spend much time with V either. Remakes included. It's just - ugh! These games don't do anything for me. After a very short time (about half an hour for the original FF1 on an emulator) I just lose interest.
If the IV remake gets the same treatment as FFIII, which I was hyped for at first, then color me wary but secretly hoping for more than just a graphical update.

I still probably find 4 the most enjoyable one to play still today. The battle system is simple, the 'new' ATB I think is best implemented (or I like it best) in this one due to (most) spells not being instant, each character brings something unique to the table, the party of 1-5, the whole pseudo remake of 1's themes being present throughout, and the last place is probably my favorite with the jump in difficulty and all the zany bosses you can fight in there. Another thing unique in 4 is the magic system, where *most* spells are learned from levels instead of purchasing in a shop. It's a rather unique game in the series imo, and that makes it still stand out today.

It's a shame you missed out on some really good entries, but they obviously aren't for everyone, especially those that missed them for the last 17-20 years.

Tabris

Last level isn't that hard but you gotta admit Scarlet, there's no tricks about Zemus/Zeromus. He's just in general, a hard boss when under-leveled and can be an impossible boss when you just sped to the last level w/o any grinding at all.

Jonnyram

Hey guys... you'd think with this being a thread about a remake of FFIV, that there might be more use of the spoiler tag, rather than just flashing boss names everywhere. Just saying. I've not played the game yet :(

Namomura

Jonnyram said:
Hey guys... you'd think with this being a thread about a remake of FFIV, that there might be more use of the spoiler tag, rather than just flashing boss names everywhere. Just saying. I've not played the game yet :(

Same here, too much hate & spoils in this thread...

animato

So are they going down the list?

We started with revamped 1 and 2, then 3, now 4. Are they going to do, 5, 6 and... let's not even go there.

Red Scarlet

AniHawk said:

Inside the giant isn't the final dungeon. You'd have to practically run from everything in the last dungeon while going the exact way through and beat the last boss fast to squeeze under 10:00 (if your pic shows 9:15).

haircut

Darunia said:
I don't know if it's normal, but I needed to do some serious grinding in the final area of the game too. I was able to waltz through pretty much the entire game, until the final dungeon came along and the continuous appearances of Behemoths started to really rape my party. Final area is definitely not that easy iirc
Once you reach that point there's no quick/easy EXP either.

Tabris

Red Scarlet said:
Inside the giant isn't the final dungeon. You'd have to practically run from everything and beat the last boss fast to squeeze under 10:00 (if your pic shows 9:15).

Which based on your HP in that screenshot would be impossible as the boss would one shot you.

Red Scarlet

Tabris said:
Which based on your HP in that screenshot would be impossible as the boss would one shot you.

I barely survived (or didn't a number of times) with the HP in my cap. :lol

But he *is* showing the GBA version, where due to the ATB messup you can actually beat the last boss without him ever performing an action (I did it but was around lv60).

Either way, the location shown in his picture is not the last dungeon. Keep going, anihawk!

Tabris

Red Scarlet said:
I barely survived (or didn't a number of times) with the HP in my cap. :lol

But he *is* showing the GBA version, where due to the ATB messup you can actually beat the last boss without him ever performing an action (I did it but was around lv60).

Either way, the location shown in his picture is not the last dungeon. Keep going, anihawk!

Why did you leave Rydia under-leveled? is it because you had no summons anyways due to speed-run?

Red Scarlet

Her HP is super low and I didn't get any summons for her and I'd get more XP with her dead the whole time. Plus she isn't very helpful against the last boss anyway due to counters. I don't know what the speedrun does, I do think that it is a better time than the run I verified about a year ago (5hr something?). I have some ideas as to what the player did, but it doesn't sound very appealing to attempt or watch in my head.

I didn't do a speed run, it was more of a minimal play when I decide I want to skip most extra stuff. I really don't play/enjoy playing in the same way as the usual speed run does (like in my FF1,FF12, DQ4, DQ8 videos).

Second said:
FFXII soundtrack was fully orchestrated, same goes for Dragon Quest VIII.

When you hear orchestrated music, you really don't want to go back.

All modern RPG's need orchestrated music IMO.
Wrong. I've got most of the soundtrack in PSF2 format. It's quite real-time.
Y2Kevbug11 said:
FFXII does not have orchestrated music...well, some of it is. It's just high quality synth.
Correct. Sounding good does not imply it's necessarily prerecorded or a real orchestra.

Red Scarlet

And also the only reason the NA DQ8 had an orchestrated soundtrack was because Sugiyama always does one after the Japanese release, so it was already there to use.

tnw

Banned
Rufus said:

I'm aware of the nostalgia. The same thing will happen to you.

You can at least appreciate the development of the series. Final Fantasy 1 still looks great. I do admit to playing through them with the turbo function. It helps a lot.

I never thought I would have to defend this kind of stuff at a gaming forum. :(

NeoForte

I wanna play too~ :p

Honestly I am getting tired of these remakes but man I would be lying if I said I wasn't impressed by those screen shots of FFIV. I love this game, I just hope like FFIII DS the difficulty isn't changed/made a bit more difficult. If not some more content than the GBA stuff (and change the stupid you have to kill the final boss with every character to open access for them in the Lunar Ruins >< ).

AniHawk said:

And this is your 1st run through the game ever? lemme check my p1 version time....

yeah i had 40 hours on it, and i thought the last boss was fairly difficult.....
this was a fairly recent playthrough.

TV2007050921534900.jpg

were there changes made to the gba version for difficulty? text skip?

Red Scarlet

He's not in the last place going by the location shown in that picture.

tnw, I was serious! Maybe later today or over the weekend in one go.

tnw

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
He's not in the last place going by the location shown in that picture.

tnw, I was serious! Maybe later today or over the weekend in one go.

um, can you do co-op in that game? I only have it on emulator.

KevinRo

Honestly I must agree with some in this thread.

Why re-make such an awesome game?

Make us a new FF already instead of all these rehashes. Sure FFIII was cool and ok, but remaking one of the greatest FF games of all time? I just hope they don't remake VI then I'll end up having to shoot myself.

Plus I'm not going to have money to buy all these games for the DS now :'(

Rufus

Red Scarlet said:
I still probably find 4 the most enjoyable one to play still today.
I've heard similar praise about IV elsewhere. It's why I'm not completely uninterested in the game. I want to see for myself what it is all about and the remake seems like a good chance.
I'm not appalled by classics just because they're old, but the lot of 'em just don't do it for me anymore.

tnw said:
I'm aware of the nostalgia. The same thing will happen to you.
Oh, it did. It did. In fact, it may be the biggest reason why I replied to your post. XD

tnw said:
You can at least appreciate the development of the series.
Sure. Doesn't say much about the games individually though.

tnw said:
I never thought I would have to defend this kind of stuff at a gaming forum. :(
It's not like we're all gaming connoisseurs with cloned opinions...
Some opinions are well established, others aren't. Don't take it too seriously.

JayDubya

Banned
ff4.jpg

Everyone with best possible gear, maximum possible stats.

cecil.jpg

Crystal Sword + Adamant Armor + Crystal everything else FTW!

tankadin.jpg

The O.G. Tankadin. Paladins can tank. Believe!

The original hardtype with J2E's 10th Anniversary translation patch is the best thing ever. Best version of the best Final Fantasy game, anyway.

Red Scarlet

tnw said:
um, can you do co-op in that game? I only have it on emulator.

Oh, I meant just both playing it. The game is fun 2-player though!

pancakesandsex said:
how far is that though?

Should be 2nd to last place, inside the Giant of Bab-il, where you fight the elemental guys again then the CPU, then can go to the last place.

^-don't read that jonny/curse.

JayDubya said:
The original hardtype with J2E's 10th Anniversary translation patch is the best thing ever. Best version of the best Final Fantasy game, anyway.

Original on a tv with a SNES controller ftw. You and tnw should try my flying pig method, it's funny (see cap earlier)!

JayDubya

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Original on a tv with a SNES controller ftw. You and tnw should try my flying pig method, it's funny (see cap earlier)!

Flying pig method? :lol *goes and looks for earlier cap*

Top Bottom