• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX PC/Mobile |OT| How did the source code survive?

AgeEighty

Annoyed that this isn't on consoles yet. I don't own a PC and refuse to touch-screen my way through this game. It deserves better than that.

This sold pretty well on mobile/PC, right? What gives? PS4 got a similar port of FF7...

FF XII and FF IX this E3, Square pls

It took a couple of years for FFVII to get to PS4 from PC, so I would expect the same kind of wait for FFIX. Hopefully not, though.

What's on your mind
Just wanted to say with the upgraded resolution I can make out characters way more clearly now. Many characters I just had blurry figures of and now I know where characters noses and mouths actually are. The Lindblum soldiers still look funny to me though.

Yep - I'm on 'Disc 4' also. I always lose steam a bit during the grindy bits at the end of these games, but the fast forward is making it bearable.

Why are you grinding? Game is pretty much easy unless you're doing it for the AP, which I understand. This time around I'm not using most of the status prevention abilities to make the game a little harder, but didn't change much because status ailments don't come up all that often.

Meesh

Just a quick question for anyone. I missed my chance I think to get the third coffee during the Trend card tourney. Is there another way during the disc 3 portion or am I screwed?

Corpekata

Banned
Annoyed that this isn't on consoles yet. I don't own a PC and refuse to touch-screen my way through this game. It deserves better than that.

This sold pretty well on mobile/PC, right? What gives? PS4 got a similar port of FF7...

FF XII and FF IX this E3, Square pls

There is no way they're announcing old ports at E3.

Valus

At the end of the game as well, and ughhhhhh the game screwed me. I'm at 78/79 ATEs and after reading through all the guides I didn't miss any. Read a bunch of comments about some being bugged and not triggering.

Sigh, now I have to play the whole game again in hopes of it working this time. So lame...

AgeEighty

Just wanted to say with the upgraded resolution I can make out characters way more clearly now. Many characters I just had blurry figures of and now I know where characters noses and mouths actually are. The Lindblum soldiers still look funny to me though.

That's not just enhanced resolution. The 3D models for the notable characters in the game were all upgraded for this remaster: both with increased polygon counts and with brand new textures. This applies to basically everyone that isn't a random NPC. The reason you still find the Lindblum soldiers funny is that they didn't receive the same upgrades.

ubique

Is there any chance the analog controls will get patched? I still can't accept it's 8-directional but I'm sick of waiting.

Terrorblot

I have half a mind to buy this but it would but a quadruple dip for me. I've bought it twice in PSX, and once on PS3. Still probably going to do it because I'm a total mark for this series.

Meesh

I have half a mind to buy this but it would but a quadruple dip for me. I've bought it twice in PSX, and once on PS3. Still probably going to do it because I'm a total mark for this series.
Yeah, but for it's one of those little gems I could buy over and over with little regret. Like just about any of the Zelda games.

Why are you grinding? Game is pretty much easy unless you're doing it for the AP, which I understand. This time around I'm not using most of the status prevention abilities to make the game a little harder, but didn't change much because status ailments don't come up all that often.

Mainly for AP - I don't really like the instant ability idea. I still want to do most things the old fashioned way but I have enjoyed the fast forward + no encounter for certain bits where you're simply re-treading old ground.

I don't remember this dialogue being in the game. Was it always there? This shit is funny. There's more too it, but I only caught screens of the last two parts.

G0uJEIy.png

uinPjK2.png

yup.
But I saw it when I playing the 4th time or more.

One of the things I love about this game. Every time I've played it, I discovered something new.

This time round it was the scene at Quan's Dwelling late in the game with Vivi, Quina, Quale and Quan.

Also this was the first time I played with the English (US) translation, as opposed to English (UK). I think there were quite a few things rephrased but it's hard to be sure without seeing them side-by-side.

Is Zidane's Ultima Weapon totally opaque for everybody else, or is this just because I'm playing on an integrated GPU? In the original game, the blades are semi-translucent.

Timeaisis

Finished this today. I've lost count of how many times I've played this finished at this point. I have to say,
Necron
is really not as bad as people say he is. I've never really have had trouble with him, and I did this run without grinding (finished around level 52 for Zidane, and in the upper 40s with everyone else). As long as you equip good abilities, you are good to go.

Anyway, glad to have capped off another playthrough of one of my favorite games. The ending always gets me. ;_;

Nope, sounds like it's not displaying correctly for you.

Oh well... it's a pretty minor problem.

Finished this today. I've lost count of how many times I've played this finished at this point. I have to say,
Necron
is really not as bad as people say he is. I've never really have had trouble with him, and I did this run without grinding (finished around level 52 for Zidane, and in the upper 40s with everyone else). As long as you equip good abilities, you are good to go.

Anyway, glad to have capped off another playthrough of one of my favorite games. The ending always gets me. ;_;

I just wrapped it up this evening at about the same level. I didn't 100% the game because I was unable to defeat Ozma, but I did most everything else. Now installing FF10/10-2. Hopefully it will run well on my tablet PC.

AgeEighty

Necron

I've never thought anyone had a problem with Necron's difficulty, only with him just showing up out of nowhere as the final boss despite never being heard of before then. (Which isn't a problem for me as I see him as more of a bonus boss after the real final boss, which is clearly Trance Kuja.)

I mean, his casting animations are so long that as long as you have Auto-Regen on everyone, all you have to do is be able to survive a single one of his attacks and you'll be back at full health by the time he hits you with the next one.

Timeaisis

I've never thought anyone had a problem with Necron's difficulty, only with him just showing up out of nowhere as the final boss despite never being heard of before then. (Which isn't a problem for me as I see him as more of a bonus boss after the real final boss, which is clearly Trance Kuja.)

I mean, his casting animations are so long that as long as you have Auto-Regen on everyone, all you have to do is be able to survive a single one of his attacks and you'll be back at full health by the time he hits you with the next one.

IIRC people hate Grand Cross. I remember reading about people complaining about a huge difficulty spike on the last dungeon because of him and a few other bosses. But, like you said, if you have Auto-Regen (FFIX's best not so secret secret for winning any encounter) and a handful of status prevent abilities, you are good to go.

^ That's Esto Gaza. Now that I think about it I might have seen it before. I have played this game a lot and if all you have to do is talk to them after entering the dungeon, then I don't see how I could not have done it before. It's probably just been a while and I forgot about it.

I finally made over 200 jumps, but was really disappointed when I found out that I didn't get Jump Rope King. Could've sworn you had to do 200 to get it. This is an accomplishment in itself. In all the years I've been playing this game, I have never gotten close to 202 jumps before.

BONKERS

Do you think IX would have large sales after the initial launch with those blurry backgrounds?

Or the insultingly bad audio quality for a port of a 16 year old game that sounds worse than the original?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2dq33n3wqr998wx/FFIX_Steam_vs_OST_comparison.rar
Developer who worked on Final Fantasy IX Remaster at Silicon Studio Thailand says they made a version for PS Vita (???)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/krittinun-sirodom-2b763b6a

I wonder if that's a mistake or forthcoming/unannounced?

Which would be the only worthwhile version to play and would look good considering the resolution... if they fix the analog controls and the audio quality.
I'm playing it despite the 8-way controls but it is annoying. Particular when playing Chocobo H&C or frog catching with Quina.

It seems like such a strange thing to not have working out the box. Same with the FFVIII music in the Steam release tbh. I wish I could understand why these games have such odd things missing.

Because SE is fucking stupid and really doesn't care about the quality of their biggest AAA franchise on PC. It prints some small amount of money no matter whether they put in real effort and budget or not. It's taken them almost 20 years to finally approach decent quality ports. Type-0/LR/X/X-2 (Minus MMOs.)

AgeEighty

Developer who worked on Final Fantasy IX Remaster at Silicon Studio Thailand says they made a version for PS Vita (???)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/krittinun-sirodom-2b763b6a

I wonder if that's a mistake or forthcoming/unannounced?

Based on that, it looks like nine people in total completed the remaster. Interesting.

Because SE is fucking stupid and really doesn't care about the quality of their biggest AAA franchise on PC. It prints some small amount of money no matter whether they put in real effort and budget or not. It's taken them almost 20 years to finally approach decent quality ports. Type-0/LR/X/X-2 (Minus MMOs.)

I see you still have absolutely no perspective on the issue of cost vs. reward on these projects. It's one thing to expect quality work, but you seem determined to convince people this is a shitty port of the game, which is asinine.

Or the insultingly bad audio quality for a port of a 16 year old game that sounds worse than the original?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2dq33n3wqr998wx/FFIX_Steam_vs_OST_comparison.rar

The Vivi one is especially difficult to compare because it has the crowd noise layered into it. While I do think the PSX game sounds better, I don't think it's fair to compare the official OST because that is absolutely not how it sounds on PSX. OSTs are rendered at a high quality with real mastering. It would not surprise me if they generated the PC music with a tracker that didn't have very authentic reverb. The bitrate is also kind of low, but most people can't tell in most scenarios. I haven't examined the audio file in any kind of detail, though.

Widge

The one and only time I beat him - the entire party was KO apart from Zidane who was auto-regen, auto-haste and bezerk. I just placed the controller down and watched it evolve.

Easily the hardest FF end guy I've faced.

Damn you, Fairy Flute.

Is that the thing the grass-haired giant has? I skipped it. I skipped all of the super rare steals until I got Thief Gloves. The chance is too low and you get all of those items eventually, often in the immediate town. Eiko won't catch up on her spells by the time you get it anyway, unless you aggressively grind AP.

Unai

Yes, and I left it too. And I even used the cheats in this battle using the high speed mode and invencibility so I could just keep pressing A while browsing the internet in my cell phone.

Top Bottom