• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX PC/Mobile |OT| How did the source code survive?

Roldan

Whoa, wasn't expecting Disc 1 to be that short.

But cool. I'm not at the verge of dropping it yet, so I'll keep playing. Cheers!

Tevious

My antivirus software went nuts when I tried to run this background patch and it deleted the file without even asking my permission...

Edit: Got it to install, but I'm only seeing a black screen when I load up a game. Anyone get this to work?

SirNinja

I don't know, some of the new backgrounds looks even worse than in PC version original
https://merup.github.io/FFIX-Field-Patch/comp1?v=2da11772e7ec601804773181502dfa43948663ff

Eww, yeah. Higher resolution but very little texture/definition to anything. They went way too aggressive with the upscaler there. That one needs a lot more manual editing to preserve the details of the original.

Fortunately that one is an extreme example. It's a fairly decent improvement overall.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
There's definitely some misses (the alexandria town inn, for one) but overall it seems a nice improvement.
If nothing else, they mesh a lot better with the 3D models, which are rendered in hi-res and clash heavily with the pixelated backgrounds.

CRT tv is superior, but what you're gonna do. On a lcd 1080p screen, i'd rather have too much smoothing than 4:1 upscaled 240-320p backgrounds.

They need to release 7, 8 and 9 like this. Why can't they remaster the games with better looking backgrounds?

Upscaling 240->1080 is hard and filled with controversy. Sticking with things "as original as possible" is fairly safe.

mieumieu

The one posted in the main page is really nice but this one... Yikes.

I'll wait for impressions.

I dislike both. It made the images into a differen style that clashes with the 3D models and whatever little details in the original are lost.

Sorry to the modders but I'll wait for more hand drawn improvements (which takes massive amounts of time but is the surefire way to 'create'/'preserve' any details in a semi-realistic settings.)

ScrapBrain

I dislike both. It made the images into a differen style that clashes with the 3D models and whatever little details in the original are lost.

Sorry to the modders but I'll wait for more hand drawn improvements (which takes massive amounts of time...)

I'm in the same boat. I see these backgrounds and they certainly look cleaner, but I think there is subtle detail loss in certain places that just makes it look slightly unnatural, especially in small details that have soft, gradient lighting on them, it just changes it to a two-tone solid and removes that softness altogether. Gonna wait for better

Slaythe

There's definitely some misses (the alexandria town inn, for one) but overall it seems a nice improvement.
If nothing else, they mesh a lot better with the 3D models, which are rendered in hi-res and clash heavily with the pixelated backgrounds.

CRT tv is superior, but what you're gonna do. On a lcd 1080p screen, i'd rather have too much smoothing than 4:1 upscaled 240-320p backgrounds.

Upscaling 240->1080 is hard and filled with controversy. Sticking with things "as original as possible" is fairly safe.

Actually you can use graphic filters including scanlines to emulate a crisper CRT kind of feel.

I'm doing this + those backgrounds and it looks pretty damn good. I mean, definitely better than any option on the table.

tonka

Removing detail with the smoothing followed by removing detail by covering half the pixels with scanlines sounds like the worst idea frankly

Fraggoso

Neo Member
I just wanted to throw in here, that I've also worked on a Background mo for Final Fantasy IX.
It's finished 100% and just needs a quick look trough from tirlititi who made the program Hades Workshop which import/export the Backgrounds.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377840/discussions/0/142261352660457538/

I'll release the 4.1 GB Mod as soon as he gave his seal of approval.

Next thing I'll work on all NPC, PC, Battle Texture as well as worldmap textures.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Nice.

Having just finished FFXV, it would be good to go back to a 'fantasy' themed Final Fantasy game and FFIX just so happens to be a timeless classic.

edit: looking at the comparisons, the indoor comparisons look pretty good but the one outdoor tavern picture, it seems very 'off' for some reason. Looks like a heavy application of the 'toon filter' from EPSXE's OpenGL2 plugin. Maybe it's just me.

I've also updated the very lowres Textures of all NPC's as well as the battle backgrounds.
You can download it via http://steamcommunity.com/app/377840/discussions/0/1290690669216388675/

Here are comparison shots:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/210535/picture:5

Well now, I find this decently impressive. So much so that the game may be worth getting on PC now.

But that's also the question... I would supporting the original release which had shoddy backgrounds (and rewarding SE for not doing all this work themselves despite losing the original renders).

I don't know. Maybe if there's a sale.

Fraggoso

Neo Member
With 21$ you can't go wrong with it but I can understand if you don't want to buy it full price with the bad porting quality in the background (pun intended! ^^) of your mind.

UltraJay

iKrdXSb.png

Didn't know about that other background uprez but I was actually waiting on this after seeing your work-in-progress Fraggoso. I had bought it in a sale and decided to shelve it until you were done. Hopefully it goes on sale again during the Summer sale.

BasilZero

Well now, I find this decently impressive. So much so that the game may be worth getting on PC now.

But that's also the question... I would supporting the original release which had shoddy backgrounds (and rewarding SE for not doing all this work themselves despite losing the original renders).

I don't know. Maybe if there's a sale.

Pc version is fantastic. I beat it few months ago and have to say it was without any issues and looked great.

Fuz

Banned
Necro!

I'm playing it now with a friend. When we installed the texture mod (the 4gb one) the game won't launch anymore and we only get a black screen. We had to uninstall/reinstall for it to work again. It's on an old PC with W7.

Anyone able to help?

Teslerum

Necro!

I'm playing it now with a friend. When we installed the texture mod (the 4gb one) the game won't launch anymore and we only get a black screen. We had to uninstall/reinstall for it to work again. It's on an old PC with W7.

Anyone able to help?

Since there has been a new background mod using deep learning techniques. Resulting in probably the most accurate result you will get aside from actually redrawing every background in high resolution. I would use it:

https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/

Virex

Banned
Necro!

Anyone able to help?
Just start a new damn thread

Top Bottom