• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX PC/Mobile |OT| How did the source code survive?

AgeEighty

The layering issue actually isn't that difficult. You can use the game assets(assuming someone's extracted them) as a mask in Photoshop and recreate the layers that way.

That's not quite good enough. Because there's often parallax between the layers, you have to also re-create what's behind the foreground layers. Now you're no longer merely manipulating, you're drawing your own new art.

Most of the animations had very few frames so it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

But there's a lot of it in the game. More than most people remember.

But yes. The point isn't that it's impossible. It's that it would be a massive undertaking, even for modders. It crosses over from mere modding into actual development. Yes, maybe someone is attempting to do it for FFVII, but that's years after release, FFVII has a stronger fanbase, and who knows if that person will ever even complete the project... and if their results will be any good if they do?

Shamdeo

brrrum brrrrum brrrrummm!!!!!!!!!!!

drummerdogipuw0.gif

RiamuBME

Weird question. They're vastly, vastly different games. I'm playing both currently, first Dark Souls for a couple of hours and when I get frustrated, I move to FF IX.

I didn't mean in similarities, just the timing of both releases. I see nothing but adoration for FFIX, just wondered if it was worth checking it out now or finishing my Dark Souls III jaunt (which will be a month or two).

aravuus

I didn't mean in similarities, just the timing of both releases. I see nothing but adoration for FFIX, just wondered if it was worth checking it out now or finishing my Dark Souls III jaunt (which will be a month or two).

I know what you meant, and I'm saying they're very different games as in nobody can really tell you which one to play first. If you love Final Fantasies in general more than the Souls games, go FFIX, I guess. If Souls > FF in your opinion, keep on trucking with DkS3.

e: FWIW, I think it's the best FF, and many seem to agree. It plays things a bit safe compared to every other modern FF game, but I think it's charming as fuck and the characters and story are still great

DSix

Banned
An extra 20% off on GMG with code APR20. The game is ~7GB, quite a lot compared to FFVII's 1.2GB and FFVIII's 1.7GB.

Thanks man, that's all I needed to see to grab it.

I wont start a game right away tho (already deep in DS3 right now), I hope that some modders will enhance it. The combat UI and the background filtering could use some help.

RiamuBME

I know what you meant, and I'm saying they're very different games as in nobody can really tell you which one to play first. If you love Final Fantasies in general more than the Souls games, go FFIX, I guess. If Souls > FF in your opinion, keep on trucking with DkS3.

e: FWIW, I think it's the best FF, and many seem to agree. It plays things a bit safe compared to every other modern FF game, but I think it's charming as fuck and the characters and story are still great

Cool cool. Thanks for the info :)

aravuus

Didn't found this little trick in the OP. You can get 100% Steal Rate anytime!
The 9999 damage boosting feature actually has another neat effect, which is 100% steal rate. Just turn it on (LT/L2) only when you need it, then you can quickly turn it off after that.

Awesome! The low steal rates have always been a pain in the ass. Stealing has never made things harder, just more tedious.

Did they retranslate this or is it the same as the PS1 version?

They "fixed" the little girl's dialogue in the very beginning of Vivi's section :(

Otherwise it's most likely 99% the same. Maybe some grammar fixes and what not here and there.

Kain

So I finished the whole game on mobile some weeks ago and I didn't know about the 100% steal thing. Shit, I might try another run just for that lol

So to help celebrate the release of the game for possible new players and because I have nothing better to do, here are some quick tips and advice that you may or may not know. These are also not factoring in boosters, btw, so if you wanna use those then go ahead.

• Jump Rope seems like a killer, but it really only requires patience. Looking for the "!" indicator is a bit of a red herring; the better visual cue is to watch Vivi's feet and press the button as soon as he lands. This is visually more consistent than waiting for the exclamation point, especially once the pattern changes. You can also listen for the sound of Vivi hitting the ground as another indicator.
  • Stealing is based off of Zidane's Spirit stat. Keep that in mind as you outfit him with stuff if you're going all-in with Steal.
  • Vivi's Focus command only raises his Magic stat by 25%. Yes you can stack it multiple times, but because of this it might seem a little underwhelming at the beginning. Still godlike though.
  • Dagger becomes obsolete as a White Mage as soon as Eiko shows up, but this doesn't mean she becomes useless. Summons are wicked underrated by a lot of people, and she can hold her own with them, especially after a certain character growth moment.
  • The swordfight minigame at the start of the game where you impress nobles is where you can get your first Moonstone, but only if you get 100/100 so good luck lol
  • If you're willing to do a bit of grinding (and by "a bit" I mean a TON), then you can spend time leveling Marcus while he's in your party, and all of his stat/AP Jewel gains will be transferred to Eiko when she joins your party. This won't affect her default level either!
  • The Ozma fight is honestly deserving of its own post, but the most important tip is that he cheats the ATB system and will get an instant action if you confirm anything while he isn't already in the middle of casting something.
  • All of the Beatrix fights are timed, so don't bother dealing damage to her and instead focus on stealing and staying healthy.
  • I'm not sure if it was fixed in the PC/Mobile versions, but Steiner's Sword Skill "Thunder Slash" is glitched, and will not work ever. Because of this, Iai Strike has a higher accuracy rating than its normal 30% because the accuracy of Thunder Slash was added to Iai Strike.
  • If you're going to put in work with Quina, then save the Golden Frogs. Having a Golden Frog stick around in the marsh will speed up the regen rate of all the frogs there. With that in mind, make sure there's at least one male and one female before you leave each marsh, in addition to a Golden Frog.
  • Speaking of Quina, (s)he is amazing at power-leveling during Disc 3. Directly outside of Daguerro, you can fight Grand Dragons. Those dragons happen to have a level that is a multiple of 5, hint hint

cwistofu

I don't think the 9999 booster makes Steal 100%. I tried it against Baku and it took about 7 tries to get the Rubber Helm from him

Kazer

I don't think the 9999 booster makes Steal 100%. I tried it against Baku and it took about 7 tries to get the Rubber Helm from him

I was just about to post this. I had it on last night for a bit and it took like 30 tries to get the ice staff from
Gizamaluke

Yeah, I just got home and triet it myself. Stole 2 items in a row from a Python, but couldn't get the third one after 3 attempts.

Sorry for jumping the gun, everyone.

Tizoc

So to help celebrate the release of the game for possible new players and because I have nothing better to do, here are some quick tips and advice that you may or may not know. These are also not factoring in boosters, btw, so if you wanna use those then go ahead.

• Jump Rope seems like a killer, but it really only requires patience. Looking for the "!" indicator is a bit of a red herring; the better visual cue is to watch Vivi's feet and press the button as soon as he lands. This is visually more consistent than waiting for the exclamation point, especially once the pattern changes. You can also listen for the sound of Vivi hitting the ground as another indicator.
  • Stealing is based off of Zidane's Spirit stat. Keep that in mind as you outfit him with stuff if you're going all-in with Steal.
  • Vivi's Focus command only raises his Magic stat by 25%. Yes you can stack it multiple times, but because of this it might seem a little underwhelming at the beginning. Still godlike though.
  • Dagger becomes obsolete as a White Mage as soon as Eiko shows up, but this doesn't mean she becomes useless. Summons are wicked underrated by a lot of people, and she can hold her own with them, especially after a certain character growth moment.
  • The swordfight minigame at the start of the game where you impress nobles is where you can get your first Moonstone, but only if you get 100/100 so good luck lol
  • If you're willing to do a bit of grinding (and by "a bit" I mean a TON), then you can spend time leveling Marcus while he's in your party, and all of his stat/AP Jewel gains will be transferred to Eiko when she joins your party. This won't affect her default level either!
  • The Ozma fight is honestly deserving of its own post, but the most important tip is that he cheats the ATB system and will get an instant action if you confirm anything while he isn't already in the middle of casting something.
  • All of the Beatrix fights are timed, so don't bother dealing damage to her and instead focus on stealing and staying healthy.
  • I'm not sure if it was fixed in the PC/Mobile versions, but Steiner's Sword Skill "Thunder Slash" is glitched, and will not work ever. Because of this, Iai Strike has a higher accuracy rating than its normal 30% because the accuracy of Thunder Slash was added to Iai Strike.
  • If you're going to put in work with Quina, then save the Golden Frogs. Having a Golden Frog stick around in the marsh will speed up the regen rate of all the frogs there. With that in mind, make sure there's at least one male and one female before you leave each marsh, in addition to a Golden Frog.
  • Speaking of Quina, (s)he is amazing at power-leveling during Disc 3. Directly outside of Daguerro, you can fight Grand Dragons. Those dragons happen to have a level that is a multiple of 5, hint hint

Grand Dragons can also be found at an exit close to where the Moogles are in the Grotto in Disc 1.

Mendrox

Grand Dragons can also be found at an exit close to where the Moogles are in the Grotto in Disc 2.

Or well... still Disc 1 which is my usuall "fuck all I am gonna grind you to death" spot. Just get Quinna and his canon skill that does 9999 dmg if he has 1HP. Go outside and have Quinna hat 1HP and kill them easily. <3

Ludens

Banned
Grand Dragons can also be found at an exit close to where the Moogles are in the Grotto in Disc 2.

Yup, I remember I farmed them like a monkey with Level 5 Death or whatever is called back in days.
Also another thing: in the game you CAN discover Dagger's real name, even if it's a bit convoluted.
Also don't sell your stuff, if you own in your inventory a specific hammer, you will see the "extended" ending, but you also need to complete the Zodiac stuff if I remember correctly.

lewisgone

Bought the game and tried it out for a bit...IX is one of, if not my favourite game in the series. The soundtrack alone is amazing, not to mention everything else. The characters are some of my favourite in the series and I think that's where the game succeeds the most. The ending sequence in this game is one of the most memorable gaming moments to me. Need to finish VIII first but it's nice to launch the game and have the port be actually good for once. I was amazed when SE launched VIII with that butchered soundtrack.

O.DOGG

I'm definitely looking forward to trying this out at some point after I'm done with Dark Souls 3. So the PC port is good, yeah?

Slaythe

I'm definitely looking forward to trying this out at some point after I'm done with Dark Souls 3. So the PC port is good, yeah?
It's decent.
We are hoping modders can fix what isn't too good. ( mobile interface, hideous backgrounds, some glitches gameplay wise etc...)

Corpekata

Banned
There's some odd stuff going on with the saves and autosaves. Sometimes if you hit Continue it seems to load up an autosave rather than a real save, which has screwed up my Mognet deliveries. I would often check that first, get / deliver the mail, and then save and quite. Come back and using continue seems to have undone that progress. Can only assume it's loading an autosave, though there's no real clear indication of when it is doing the checkpoints so it's hard to tell for sure.

Nice pictures.

Some backgrounds look excellent with the upscaling filter they are using, but it's the ones with many fewer fine details.

The ones with fine details are the ones suffering the most.

Hopefully someone comes up with a replacement solution. Not as bad as I thought it would be at least.

Can't believe this is on PC still anyway, a real godsend!

I just need proper analog support and a way to remove those card icons, and PS button prompts, and then the game is golden :)

Is there even a sign when the game is autosaving?
I haven't noticed it. I'm still manual saving on every Moogle I come across just like old school.

Is there a way to make it run in full screen without the borders?

I'm trying to find this out too, forgot about that.

Don't hate the borders.... but I prefer just black margins. Plenty of old games in 4:3 I play with black borders.

Not sure why they wouldn't at least add a toggle option... >.>
Omg thank you :D

Surely this works in 4:3 resolutions just the same I hope.

I think it auto-saves every time you enter a new screen, but I'm not sure.

I see. I guess I'll have to load the game manually to avoid the issue for the time being, just in case.

Is there a way to make it run in full screen without the borders?

Yes, there's a 'fix' for that on the steam forums.
It's basically stretching the image so it becomes widescreen, which is highly not recommended.

I'm trying to find this out too, forgot about that.

Don't hate the borders.... but I prefer just black margins. Plenty of old games in 4:3 I play with black borders.

Doesn't seem to be a way to turn those borders black, though. Now that I'd be up for.

Someone have actually figured it out. I remember reading this topic yesterday and found it just now.
How to Use a Custom Resolution to Remove Grey Bars and Keep Aspect Ratio

Robin64

Woah yeah, count me in as mind blown for the Ruby thing. I always saw her as blue haired with a wild west slanty lady hat on.

Oh that fix above is perfect.

Top Bottom