• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX PC/Mobile |OT| How did the source code survive?

Syntsui

Playing it with the Steam Controller and it's awesome how I can map the high speed mode to a button so I can get in and out of it very fast. Makes easy to switch during battle when you are just waiting for everyone's bar do fill.

Isn't high speed mode on R1 already?

I'm wondering if they messed with some stuff (didn't pay attention to details), or maybe I'm imagining but I feel like my steal rate is a bit too good :p

Same here. Steal rate is nearly 100 percent except for the iron sword. That one took a good 6 or 7 tries. Is anybody else having issues with the analog stick using auto-run?

Unai

I'm wondering if they messed with some stuff (didn't pay attention to details), or maybe I'm imagining but I feel like my steal rate is a bit too good :p

Same here. Steal rate is nearly 100 percent except for the iron sword. That one took a good 6 or 7 tries.

I died trying to steal from the plant boss because I used all my potions, so I don't think that's true. The second time I only took 3 or 4 tries.

I died trying to steal from the plant boss because I used all my potions, so I don't think that's true. The second time I only took 3 or 4 tries.

I haven't got to Plant Brain yet. That's where I'm headed next. But steal rates have been crazy good so far me. RNGesus might have the last laugh.

I dunno what you were expecting after I told you exactly what it looked like.

Besides, I don't see anyone complaining about this

just kidding, IZJS was never released in the west, so of course no one complained about it ehehehe

It's the first time I've ever seen fast forward stuff like that I really dislike it. Though it's what you described I figured it would be done more smoothly and not look like it was literally being fast forwarded. Today I learned I guess.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's the first time I've ever seen fast forward stuff like that I really dislike it. Though it's what you described I figured it would be done more smoothly and not look like it was literally being fast forwarded. Today I learned I guess.

Got bad news; everything from FF7 on PS4 and Bravely Default's revamped version have similar features.

Personally I think more games could stand to use a feature like this, and especially any form of remaster. Growing old, less time, yadda yadda

Got bad news; everything from FF7 on PS4 and Bravely Default's revamped version have similar features.

Personally I think more games could stand to use a feature like this, and especially any form of remaster. Growing old, less time, yadda yadda

Agreed. The initial grinding in the forest went way faster after I remember about the speed up feature.

GAMERG0D

Guess im alone on the double input problem, sigh.
Are you referring to buttons inputting twice when you hit them? I had this issue and it seems in order to fix it you have to start the game without the controller connected and only connect it when you can move Zidane.

I don't mind those because they're not required. But FFIX has a problem with load times and battle speed. So your only option is fast forward mode and SE didn't bother fixing the issue.

The port looks otherwise great. Waifu especially looks clean.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, battle intro flybys can be toggled off. Doesn't help that the ATB timings remain a little out-of-wack in that it's a conga line of people waiting for each other's actions, but I can virtually guarantee you that tweaks outside of clearly labelled features and/or loading times themselves would have a whole different segment of the fanbase complaining about the changes, since they'd change what you can or cannot do with the battle system on an intricate level

In the end, gameplay tweaks are probably out of the scope of HD remaster.

edit: Actually, a discussion on what's cool vs what's out-of-bounds for a remaster of a game people are (too) familiar with that reminds me - Grandia 2 had a pretty awesome optional Hard Mode added, actually!

Slaythe

I don't mind those because they're not required. But FFIX has a problem with load times and battle speed. So your only option is fast forward mode and SE didn't bother fixing the issue.

Waifu is not a thing as of now. So don't expect this to look any good in the meanwhile. Lack of scanlines and jpeg artifacts make the characters stand out far too much IMO .

zakujanai

Don't really get the complaints, think the game looks pretty great. Backgrounds are perhaps a little blurry but it's vastly superior to the original. Looking forward to getting stuck into this game yet again at the weekend.

Don't really get the complaints, think the game looks pretty great. Backgrounds are perhaps a little blurry but it's vastly superior to the original. Looking forward to getting stuck into this game yet again at the weekend.

The problem is the backgrounds are not vastly superior, despite the other aspects being much better looking.

The FMVs and 3D character models look excellent, but the backgrounds look the same, if not worse.

It needs better upscaling/filtering.

Xanonano

I've played up to the Evil Forest to see what the port is like. I really love FFIX, and when the PC version was announced I was really hoping that they would do it justice. Thankfully it seems they've done a good job.

The port seems to perform really well. Even my laptop (a 2010 Core i3 with a ATI HD5650 graphics card that was pretty good at the time but is showing its age now) managed to run it smoothly with only minor hitches (while I couldn't run the PS1 version in an emulator at the original resolution without hitching and badly stuttering sound), and even manages to display intensive attacks (like when Steiner uses a sword attack on Blank that releases a swarm of oglops) without the slowdown that was always in the original.

The graphics are actually quite impressive with the new character models. The fact that the polygon jittering has been eliminated means that higher resolutions are actually viable now and allows you to see much more detail. The graphical effects in battle also look really good. FMVs also look much better than the low-res compressed ones in the original game. The backgrounds are still the original resolution of course, which does look rather jarring, but it's not like they could have easily done anything with them considering that they were originally made in that resolution.

The game does have some problems still. The battle interface is too big due to it being ported from the mobile version.
58fNGzD.gif

As you can see here, the health bars especially are further apart which obscures much more of the screen. I ended up holding the Square button during attacks to get a better view, but I hope someone can find a way to mod them to be as small as they were in the original.

Another thing I didn't like was that there are some minor but inexplicable changes (such as the ATB ready sound effect and the battle intro swirl being different). As I've played the original a lot they were very noticeable to me, but I don't think they really make much difference overall, and anyone who hasn't played the original won't care.

It has 360 controller support and button prompts. There is some DirectInput support but it doesn't support the Dualshock 4 natively and doesn't recognise all its buttons. I ended up just using DS4Windows. It also kept moving left unless I unplugged the controller until after I launched it, but I don't know if that's just because of some Windows 10 update. A more serious problem is that the analog stick doesn't actually do analog movement, which is annoying and really needs fixing.

All in all this is actually a great port with a few issues that should be fixable. I'd definitely recommend it to people who don't own or have never played the PS1 version. If you already have it on PSN (unless it's the PAL version of course) it's only really worth getting if you want the extra convenience of the speed-up features, or to play it on a big screen (because it definitely looks better than just upscaling like on the PS3).

EDIT: It doesn't mention it anywhere, but there's an auto-battle function that you can get by pressing the RT button (or J) during battles. It doesn't speed it up though, which would have been useful.

AgeEighty

Everyone raves about the waifu2x filter and in some ways it's nice, but it really makes a mess of some of the finer details. In that shot of the ticket booth in Alexandria it turns some of the flowers in the lower right into weird squares.

I'd still probably prefer it to what's there, so when someone inevitably comes out with a mod that employs it I'm sure I'll check it out.

AgeEighty

"Skip Battle Camera" is also there to make regular encounters load faster.

Kyrios

My favorite game of all time, still contemplating on whether to get this now on PC or wait for possible PS4 version...

cwistofu

My favorite game of all time, still contemplating on whether to get this now on PC or wait for possible PS4 version...

Follow my philosophy for FFX (my personal favorite) and get all of them!

I own 5 different copies of FFX and you better be damn sure I'll be getting the PC version if it ever happens, too.

Syril

This is Square Enix. It took four and a half months for the PC version to come out after they announced it. Who knows how long it might take to wait for something they didn't announce?

I know nobody will probably be willing to do this, but I got a 2nd FF9 Steam Key, with the idea that I could send it as a Steam Gift to a friend. Apparently you can't. I really want to gift it to them and not just send them a key.

If someone wants to buy this game, how about you gift it to me (which I will be able to gift to my friend) and I'll message you the CD-key

atbigelow

Played for 25 minutes. Initial thoughts:

-UI feels quite BIG. Wouldn't mind if they made it more screen efficient in battle. I realize their goal is to mostly "up-res" the existing layouts; all the dialogue boxes and things are in the same spots. In that regard, they did a pretty good job. But running at 1920x1200 and sitting pretty close, I wouldn't mind a mode that is scaled down.

-Controller mapping has my D-pad totally fucked in analog mode (I use a PS2 controller adapter).

-The updated models are great! Obviously not full reworks, but the game looks far less blocky.

-Sad that the battle animation framerates weren't updated. :/

I feel this is easily worth the money. My hope is that they update this with some extra tweaks and fixes, but doubt it.

Kitoro

For months now, every time I see this thread, I get excited, reading as Final Fantasy XI Mobile, and think it's actually releasing soon.

-_-

Worth it on iOS?

I've been playing it on iOS. iPad and iPhone SE. It runs excellently and plays really well. I'd say it's worth it. Suspends really great and saving on screen transition is awesome. I'm able to play a long session, or for just a few minutes at a time and still make progress.

I just finished the content of the original disc one.

sora87

Not a good start, trying to use an X1 controller and the menu screen was just going mental, couldn't select anything

Anteater

Think I don't quite mind the background filtering for the prerendered backgrounds, it can be better but honestly looks ok with the new models, and the game looks pretty nice now in battle. Overall my opinion is positive, but haven't even started playing, tried messing around with gedosato and sweetfx, etc, couldn't get any of them to work :lol.

Just tried it, backgrounds are not great, but better than I expected.

I think the worst ones are the outdoor Alexandria ones so far, with lots of small elements like flowers or shingles.

Some of the other areas like indoor areas look a lot better in general. Kind of a so-so for the backgrounds, not great, but not bad either.

Amazed by the FMV quality though, other than the stuttering, the IQ is pretty amazing.

----------

One thing bothering me though is how do I get rid of the grey bars on the sides/top for widescreen?

I don't mind playing 4:3 with black bars on the sides on my widescreen monitors.... but this gray art bar thing is really annoying me lol! :)

Anyone know how to get rid of these?

Only other thing that is really weird is the analog support... wtf did they do lol, that really shouldn't be so hard to add in.... >.>

Last thing is probably that the audio doesn't fade in very well, it starts too fast and too early sometimes, should fade in or start a bit later, probably because of HDD read speed or whatever. If you click too fast on the UI sometimes it also becomes too loud from the "pings" lol.

Good that it doesn't suffer from the FF VII PC/PS4 garbage of 15 fps battle menus at least though.

Top Bottom