• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics was released 20 years ago today in Japan

zenspider

One of the hallmarks of the series. I always imagined what this would look like built for current gen.

After seeing Yuya Nagai's designs in 3D via Nier Automata, something along those lines would be a dream come true.

Was thinking about FFT today after picking up God Wars. Not a knock on GW because I am digging it, but it's amazing how little the subgenre progressed since Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics with so many clones and so little innovation, or even just graphically.

iosefe

if S-E was smart they would just put it up already. there is precedence for mobile ports.

do it tomorrow square, i double-dog dare you

I sucked at this game. Just couldn't figure it out. Loved Vandal Hearts and wanted to love this but boy did it make me feel dumb.

adversarial

The legitimate GOAT, best game ever. Kills me that we won't ever see a sequel.

That "spiritual successor" that was kickstarted seems to have disappeared. Condemned to obscurity.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
brp5V3M.jpg

HeeHo

I'd really like to see a console, high budget version of FFT2. Too bad S-E probably won't work with Matsuno anytime soon, or ever.

BlondeTuna

That feeling you get when you strike down an opponent and hear them do the FFT moan.

That feeling you get when you successfully steal a knight sword like Defender / Save the Queen.

the best. still the only game that killed my playthrough. i also remember stubbornly retrying a battle for a whole evening even though there was almost no chance to win with my current party setup.
i won in the end.

the first official soundtrack i bought too. came with a nice moogle card.

it's a masterpiece.

The best Final Fantasy, so much so that lists have to be made that specifically exclude it.

it's true.

HeeHo

Well, he did contribute to Stormblood, so maybe there's hope?

Very good to know! I thought they weren't working together at all anymore.

Hopefully S-E tries to blow our mind with a remake of this or a more direct sequel at some point. Doubt it but I would really love it. I'd even take a brand new IP from Matsuno.

Probably my favorite game on PS1, I sunk so much time into it. Once you got a firm grasp of the best skill paths to follow you could build a monster team. I remember my first play through getting destroyed by Velius around 15 times then on my second play through wiping him out in two rounds haha.

aceface

This, Final Fantasy 7 and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night are my holy trinity of great games, all came out in '97. What a year.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Very good to know! I thought they weren't working together at all anymore.

Hopefully S-E tries to blow our mind with a remake of this or a more direct sequel at some point. Doubt it but I would really love it. I'd even take a brand new IP from Matsuno.

Matsuno Is the lead writer and I believe even scenario director for Stormblood's upcoming 24-man, which is literally called "Return to Ivalice". And judging by Yoshi-P's teasing is going to be more closely related to the tactics side of ivalice as opposed to XII/FFTA/2

Happy 20th! Not my absolute favorite FF, but it's definitely in the top 5.

Seems weird that this game is passed over for Steam but all the other FF games have been put up.

Unfortunately , not enough people bought FF6 and Lightning Returns. :(

I'm thinking they're going to surprise release like all the others sometime later this year.

Matsuno Is the lead writer and I believe even scenario director for Stormblood's upcoming 24-man, which is literally called "Return to Ivalice". And judging by Yoshi-P's teasing is going to be more closely related to the tactics side of ivalice as opposed to XII/FFTA/2

Not to mention the game also already has Palace of the Dead filled with Tactics Ogre references.

The best Final Fantasy. Fantastic characters, fantastic setting, fantastic story, massive amounts of replay value and options. No Final Fantasy compares.

SMK

Just rewatched all the cg cutscenes for the game because of this thread.

I remember begging my mom to buy the soundtrack for me as a kid because I wanted to listen to Run Past Through the Plains as much as I wanted.

This is without a doubt my favorite game of all time.

Man the music is amazing, very cool intro.

Seriously why can't I play this on my PS4?

Did the psone games not sell on ps3?
I'm puzzled by this decision.

Reszo

Ahh Final Fantasy Tactics bought this by accident at Value City when I was a kid, I meant to buy FF7 cause i saw my cousin playing it. I thought there was only one final fantasy game.

Immediately fell in love with it. fond memories.

Sanctuary

Played both this and Tactics Ogre around the same time. Enjoyed both, but this was the game to constantly return to over the years. Of the FF US catalog, this and six are essentialy the only games I ever replay, with maybe four every five or ten years. There's something about those screams too. They are just unforgettable, and the music was (then) of typically stellar Square fashion.

Still the best SPRG ever made 20 years later

How has no one come close to this game in that time yet?

The fact a true sequel was never made puzzles me but its a testament to how integral the original creators talent and input was

I felt like I was taking a big chance on this game back when I bought it on release. I didn't know if I would like this type of game, I just knew that I really enjoyed FF7. I'm glad I took the chance.

Tactics would go on to be one of my top favorite games of all time. I've replayed it to varying lengths every year since I bought it. I've played the PS1, PSP and Android versions of the game but nothing can top the original PS1 version for me. I can't handle the slowdown on the psp version and on Android I get random speed ups and slow downs. How hard is it to keep this game at one consistent speed lol.

I wish Square would retrofit this game with DLC or something if they are not going to give us a proper sequel (sorry Advance and A2 lovers).

Mash83

God I love this game. Every time Square sends me a survey I tell them that we need a proper sequel.

With the popularity of SRPG's Im surprised they dont revive this.

Top Bottom