• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics was released 20 years ago today in Japan

Such an awesome game!

And I will maintain forever that Ramza is the best FF hero ever. A good hearted man that wanted to do good for the world.

Measley

My favorite FF game. Been waiting for a sequel for 20 years, and got FFTA instead. It wasnt even close to FFT.

Crazy to think that PS1 games are over 20 years old now.... Time flies.....

ffvorax

Damn I actually never finished it... but I loved it when I played it! I started like 3 times and then had to start it again for various motives... :\

I have it on the VITA, I should try it again and finish it!

Usobuko

Banned
Delita has so many golden lines.

"Will endeavor grant me an army? I would save Tietra with these hands, if aught were in my power to do.

But I cannot. Tis my meager lot in this life."

"It has been the same for me. I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part. A puppet, ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen.

This wretched world does not reward endeavor. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt - maggots grown fat on endeavor's corpse.

Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no more.

No more...I will exact from them the price of their gluttonous feast! "
"All of them swept up in a mighty current, a current they cannot see or feel... I simply swim against it. Nothing more."
"Did you get your end in all of this, Ramza? I...I got this."

What a baller.

I love the fact that after he seized absolute power and control, the kingdom prosper under his long reign.

Omadahl

Banned
FFT is my third favorite game of all time; only behind Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger. Masterful writing, battle system is the tits, and the music is classic. It doesn't hurt that the graphics have held up so well.

Vhalyar

There's only two games I have replayed many times over the years: PlaneScape and FFT.

I was actually preparing to do another challenge run, but unfortunately I don't have my PSP or a PS2. How's the android version of the game? Does it suffer from the same issues as the PSP port?

Raven117

Gold Member
A masterpiece. Back when Matsuno was at the top of his game and Square could do no wrong.

Its one of the best video games ever created.

ag-my001

Sölf;241430679 said:
I did buy the PSP remake because Tactics was never officially released here in Germany (or even Europe?), sadly that had the slow downs for skill animations. Has this been fixed on the android version?

The Android version actually speeds up during summon animations and the like. There are also (sadly) no spell quotes, but that will also shorten time in battle a bit.

Kegien

Neo Member
Top 3 RPG Soundtrack of all time for sure... Played and beat it twice on PS1 and once on PSP. Was an amazing game that's held up really well. Would be so awesome if we could get a proper Switch sequel.

I love this game so much.

Let's celebrate with the amazing ost:

Trisection
Treasure
Ovelia's Worries
Hero's Theme
Desert Land
Apoplexy

That's only a small selection from an incredible ost. Hell, even this game's tutorial music is great.

You left out all the best tracks though:

Antipyretic

Title Screen/Opening

Save Data Screen

Job Description Movie Fanfare

World Map Screen

Unreleased track from the Epilogue with Delita and Ovelia

Ending Credits Roll Theme

There I did my part...

409e0c6011.jpg

No. Us fans would actually love a FFT2 with art by Akihiko Yoshida, the artist who did the designs for the first game.

Beaten multiple times. I helped a friend beat it raising his units and he played the last fight.

Never did beat WoTL psp version due to being sidetracked all the time. I should get around to that, but WoW and P5 already takes up most of what little free time I already have.

Setzer

Easily a top 5 Final Fantasy game for me. Greatest? No, but it's one of the best turn-based strategy games ever made and I still find time to play it once a year whether it be on my PS3 or PSP Go.

Palehorse

Man, seeing the screen shots/gifs brought me back. I love me some tactics and FFT still hasn't been surpassed. The only one that came close in terms of fun was Vandal Hearts.

I have a feeling I'm going to be firing up my Vita when I get home tonight.

ag-my001

This is the only game I havent beat that I regret not beating. I need to go back and beat it. What's the best version?
The US version is the easiest. Some abilities were made cheaper, jobs unlock sooner, and some bosses are lacking immunities. It also includes extra battle quotes, like the earlier gif of "Life is short! Bury, Steady Sword!" To be fair, there are many translation issues (Bracelet instead of Breath, for instance).

For the WotL version, whether PSP, iOS, or Android, there is a new translation with faux "Olde English". It fixes the little things and does clear up some plot issues, but to me (nostalgia, I know), it just isn't as good. The animated cutscenes are a nice touch.

iOS and Android ports fix the slowdown that killed the PSP port.

One of the greatest video games I've ever played and I only got to play it for the first time on the PSP (filthy European peasant here, we never got the original PSX release back in the day!)

The writing, music and gameplay are all S tier stuff and got me into Tactical RPGs, making it one of my favourite genres of gaming.

No. Us fans would actually love a FFT2 with art by AkihikoYoshida, the artist who did the designs for the first game.

Yep. Akihiko Yoshida IS Ivalice, same goes for Sakimoto and Matsuno.

One of my favorites ever! I loved just coming up with ideas for "themed" parties.

Probably something like this with better textures and more detailed character models:

POT_Jan122017_01.jpg

No joke, when they first showed that in the Switch presentation I thought "OMG! NEW FINAL FANTASY TACTICS!" and then became sad that it wasn't.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Quite possibly the greatest game on the Playstation and even gen 5 altogether (top 3 for sure). Just a timeless masterpiece. This thread hits me so hard with nostalgia right now, damn.

ag-my001

I need someone to show me the ropes, I always lose at the start and give up.

1) Abilities > Equipment > Levels. In fact, over-leveling is the number one cause of pain in this game, as random battles (and some story) scale to level, even though your available equipment (to raise stats) does not.

2) The two basic jobs, Squire and Chemist, have some great abilities that can carry you through the game. From Squire, pick up Gained JP Up to earn JP faster (quicker to get skills and new jobs) and Move+1 (highly useful for pretty much everyone).

From Chemist, pick up Potion, Phoenix Down, and the reaction Auto-Potion. AP will save you many, many times.

3) When fighting, check the % shown. Rear attacks are best, then side. Avoid front attacks if possible. Zodiac signs affect damage dealt and success rates for some spells, so don't just mash the OK button. It is a tactics game, after all.

Shifty1897

One of my favorites ever! I loved just coming up with ideas for "themed" parties.

No joke, when they first showed that in the Switch presentation I thought "OMG! NEW FINAL FANTASY TACTICS!" and then became sad that it wasn't.

Never thought about it but if Nintendo got up and said "Switch exclusive FFT2 in 2018!" they would sell 10 million more switches right there.

ultra7k

Imagine my chagrin when Hoshigami came out on PSX and I thought, 'oh awesome! this will fill the void of FFT' - Yeah, no.

Square, FFT2 with Matsuno please! I know it's a pipe dream but stranger things have happened!

Zetta

My favorite Final Fantasy even if its not on the mainline. I would rather have a FFT2 than a remake to VII and I love VII. This game also has the best character which should be titled Easy Mode and that is none other than Cidolfus Orlandeau who happens to have one of the best names ever.

Top Bottom