• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics was released 20 years ago today in Japan

Hektor

I just replayed it earlier this year and it still holds up so goddamn well. Truly one of best games of its genre, its generation and just in general

FFT was one of the first games I got when I bought my PS1. Had the ugly Greatest Hits label though, still loved the hell out of it.

Even more so, because at the time I was a FFVII hater. I grew up on the SNES Final Fantasies, so I was not found of how FFVII looked or it's story(years later I would actually play it and like it a lot).

This game was super long though. Never did finish it :(

Apathy

My favorite game ever. Definitely started my love for having a complex story in video games. Wish SE cared enough to make a real sequel, cause the GBA games pale in comparison.

ag-my001

I have completed this game at least fifteen times for various challenges (limited party size, limited abilities, etc.), plus many more for regular play throughs. It is easily my most played game of all time, and one I know I'll keep coming back to in the future.

I know people are worried about the iOS version with the upcoming OS switch; is there a similar issue pending with Android? I still have my original disk, but FFT on the go really helps out the ability to play.

RS4-

Ha!

One of the best games ever made.

Praise to matsuno, yoshida, sakimoto and ito.

FUCK DORTER!!!

That one pretty much comes down to luck with stasis, the fight in the archives against the dragoon guy is my worst

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, FFT is still a top 5-10 game for me. And then that bullshit FFTA came out on the gameboy, what the fuck was that.

But yeah, fuck Dorter, the archives and quite a few other areas. Whole lotta bullshit in that.

I tried playing a few of the other custom FFTs that have been floating around over the years, "fixed," and "harder," etc. Just doesn't stick with me at all.

Still waiting for a proper sequel or at least something close to FFT and a real Front Mission. Not that disgusting heap of trash FM: Evolved.

What a game. The writing in this game is so good.

That's it, finally time to start playing through this game again ...

... sometime this year.

Nottle

What is recommended for Ramza in the harder fights in the game? Particularly the Wiegraf and the Dark Knight dude?

I played the game last year and enjoyed it but it had some big flaws like the difficulty spikes, saving issues, and a plot told through the appendix. Then you get CID and the game becomes a joke.

ag-my001

What is recommended for Ramza in the harder fights in the game? Particularly the Wiegraf and the Dark Knight dude?

I played the game last year and enjoyed it but it had some big flaws like the difficulty spikes, saving issues, and a plot told through the appendix. Then you get CID and the game becomes a joke.

For Wiggy, wear a Chameleon Robe. It cancels out his sword attacks, so he'll use weaker stuff instead. For the castle gate 1v1 against Gafgarion, have everyone else wear Rubber Shoes. All the outside enemies use lightning weapons, so they'll be powerless aside from the summoner. Get him while Ramza runs to the switch to let them all in.

Turn Ramza into a Ninja to get two swords and then eventually back to Squire

Vengal

Are there narratively similar games like fft? I played Afew disgea games, joan'd arc, tactics ogre, and Afew other turn based strategy games but none of them scratch the itch. I want some medieval family drama with a pinch of ancient tech and blasphemy.

Terra_Ex

Never understood why Square never made a proper sequel to this, it (and Tactics Ogre) was such a good game... And where the heck is the PC port?

Are there narratively similar games like fft? I played Afew disgea games, joan'd arc, tactics ogre, and Afew other turn based strategy games but none of them scratch the itch. I want some medieval family drama with a pinch of ancient tech and blasphemy.

Only one that sorta comes to mind story wise is Ogre Battle 64, and that is more of a RTS/turn based battles kind of game. Ogre Battle Tactics story wise dint really stick with me for some reason (PSP one).

You can try other Ivalice set games, like Vagrant Story, or the upcoming FFXII remaster, but if you've already played tactics ogre, I'm not sure what would be a great fit strategy rpg wise

Zelias

Banned
Possibly my favourite FF game. A true classic.

The handheld games were decent but they can't hold a candle to the original. Come on SE, make FFT2!

The best Ivalice game. One of the greatest Strategy JRPGs ever. It is near perfect beyond the silly localization. War of the Lions fixes that, but introduces other stupid problems like slow down and the lack of character quips when performing certain spells, summons, abilities etc. Never tried the Mobile version, probably fixes all that stuff.

Final Fantasy Tactics needs a PS4 remaster. Or a full remake that emulates the style of the CG cutscenes introduced in WotL.

Hektor

FFT has some bad gameplay choices, many of which are not fixed in War of the Lions, but it remains one of my favorites.

Honestly, the game isn't good despite the broken balancing and some questionable mission design but because of it. Sure it has rough edges but these actually make the game require out of the box thinking at spots, which isn't very usual in strategy games.

Funny FF Tactics story: My highschool girlfriend at the time when this game came out in the US bought it for me for Valentine's Day and then proceeded to break up with me about 2 weeks later, because all I did was play the game. oops. Worth it!

Such a great game!

Gnomist

Outside of watching my friend in college play this for what felt like a year, I don't have much experience with the game. I did import the soundtrack at some point though. I'm curious how the new Ivalice raid series in XIV will play out. Hopefully some nice homages and remixed music from both this and XII.

For that battle, a Two-swords Monk was the only way many people got through.

Gahaha for myself, I did this:

1. Ramza as squire with Auto-Potion (no other jobs available at the time because I wanted Ramza to stay as a Squire lol)
2. Stocked up on zillions of High-Potions for 150 hp restored a pop
3. No gun, just some dagger
4. Basically a war of attrition - each time Weigraf Stab'd me, it'd do 152 hp. So I'm hanging on slowly as I inch my way towards him.
5. Coin toss at that point - if I get hit by any additional damage (like a Counter or a crit), screwed and start from the beginning. Also since he's a knight, he could easily block my attack too. And of course I'm slowly losing this battle since it's 2 HP off per turn no matter what unless he tries to do something else and misses. I think a direct attack from him hurt like hell too.

After like 20 or so tries, I finally beat him! ...Then get shrek'd by the next two battles :p

Usobuko

Banned
The hardest fight in FFT for me was right at the end you fight some dragons/demons who deal absurd damage. The only way I won was literally turning them against themselves, iirc.

Lime

One of my favorite games.

Why is this HD port not available on PC / PS4 / XBox? :'( Square Enix usually put out their mobile titles, yet this particular 'remake' hasn't seen the day of light and today would be an opportune moment to commemorate the game.

Synless

An amazing game that I have beaten at least 4 times now. I really wish they would port the iOS/Android high res version to current gen home systems. I would love to go through it again. As it is though, I have been playing the iPhone version and the game still holds up.

eagledare

FFT is the GOAT FF game (suck it FF6) and the GOAT SRPG. Can't believe how hard they dropped the ball on the following FFTA games.

Sölf

One of the best Tactical RPGs out there. Took me quite a while to beat as well as one whole restart because fuck Wiegraf.

I did buy the PSP remake because Tactics was never officially released here in Germany (or even Europe?), sadly that had the slow downs for skill animations. Has this been fixed on the android version?

Tamanator

Been tempted to grab the PSP remake lately. I've never played FFT, and it seems to be a game right up my alley since I love Strategy RPGs from Fire Emblem to Stella Glow.

Top Bottom