• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD | Review Thread

Listonosh

The word fal'Cie didn't appear anywhere in the PSP version of the game. There's 1-5 in the whole game and you never hear them referred to as such.

l'Cie are still a thing, but that should surprise literally no one since this game has been billed as an FNC game from square 1.

I think it has, if you
played through the game twice

Meta score is good. Around what I expected.

CAOpLTNWoAAbauj.png

Oh man there is a CEX showing the PS4 version in stock but I procrastinated till the afternoon and they told me both copies have been sold online and so were reserved in the back. There was a Xbone copy on the shelf though. The game isn't out here until Friday and I already have an order for the game, but would have been cool to play it a day before US! I hope mine arrives at least on Thurs.

The guy at the till pointed out that they didn't have the demo codes. I can see why they're selling them for £30.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Mixed reviews I see, the comments about the story being bad and overly convulted are specially dissapointing.

But it does sounds like a decent purchase once it gets a heavy price drop or sale. Which is what I planned to do anyway

IIRC, Nomura was said to be heavily involved with the story and character. So it's not like it ever had any chance of being good.

But at least previews sound excited about the world and exploration. Skyrim was also really fun with a crappy story

wonder if the reviewers had the time to do two playthroughs. from my understanding, ng+ is required to make sense of some of the story points. anyone whose reviewed hd or played psp version already care to comment?

MilkBeard

Reviews seem about right for a PSP remaster. I don't regret my preorder. I often tend to like quirky games that get panned for one reason or another. Then there's the FFXV demo.

Corgi

Banned
And so the Milites Empire, home to the White Peristylium, invaded the neighboring Dominion of Rubrum. As soon as the declaration of war was made, the Militesi main fleet swarmed into all corners of Rubrum.

At the same time, a separate fleet was charged with a sneak attack on the Vermillion Peristylium. A l'Cie accompanied this task force. Using a l'Cie to invade a sovereign state was a direct violation of the Pax Codex, a treaty created by all four Crystal-States of Orience. The besieged peristyilum attempted to repel Milites's magitek armors…

urgh. This clearly isn't a game for someone that is bad with names.

Yes most JRPGS that I have played start out slow and get good 5-10 hours in.

Complete BS too.

Final Fantasy IV opens with your team going to steal a Crystal, kill the guardians of that crystal, take it to your king, then the king kicks you off the squad for having doubts and sends you to a town with a " gift " that ends up destroying the town with fire. And thats all within the first hour or so.

Same type of thing with Breath of Fire, with Chrono Trigger, with Final Fantasy VII, with Phantasy Star, with Shining Force.

Even Ni No Kuni got going quickly. Dark Cloud series gets going quickly.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a JRPG that " takes a long time " to get going. Persona 4 would be one ..

Fbh

wonder if the reviewers had the time to do two playthroughs. from my understanding, ng+ is required to make sense of some of the story points. anyone whose reviewed hd or played psp version already care to comment?

If that's the case then it's still pretty bad IMO.
NG+ should be all about a higher challenge and playing with all your gear and powers or even expand the lore and story. But having to play the game twice for the story to start making sense is just dissapointing

Dark_castle

Complete BS too.

Final Fantasy IV opens with your team going to steal a Crystal, kill the guardians of that crystal, take it to your king, then the king kicks you off the squad for having doubts and sends you to a town with a " gift " that ends up destroying the town with fire. And thats all within the first hour or so.

Same type of thing with Breath of Fire, with Chrono Trigger, with Final Fantasy VII, with Phantasy Star, with Shining Force.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a JRPG that " takes a long time " to get going. Persona 4 would be one ..

You didn't have to think. Just looking at your avatar already gave an answer.

Including that demo worked because I probably wouldn't have bought this day 1 if it hadn't come with it. So it's great to see that it's pretty good.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If that's the case then it's still pretty bad IMO.
NG+ should be all about a higher challenge and playing with all your gear and powers or even expand the lore and story. But having to play the game twice for the story to start making sense is just dissapointing

i can't comment because i haven't played it yet...but i think you play from two different perspectives or something. but yeah i'm on the fence about doing a last minute pre-order. haha

Complete BS too.

Dragon Quest 7 is the best I can think of

sensui-tomo

Just wondering, who is in charge for the OT for the game or was that never even decided?
since i cant find one and it seems that everyone jumped boat from the CE thread to this one.

Heartfyre

Complete BS too.

I would have given that as an example, myself. I always felt the game didn't get going until you leave Midgar. I'm not the only one either: my brother has a save from the world map there that he uses to start his repeat playthroughs.

The Suikoden games are always accused of being slow burns. Suikoden V is the most egregious of them, I feel. Xenoblade Chronicles is quite slow. The Last Story is glacial.

But I guess it's all different depending on perspective. I like slow starts, to be honest.

Complete BS too.

I remember FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Nocturne, Tales of Symphonia, The Last Story and most of the Ys games starting off at a fairly decent clip as well.

On the other hand, I remember Tales of Hearts and Tales of Xillia being a bit slow. Yeah you were in action quickly, but it didn't feel like those games opened up for like a good 5-10 hours. Kingdom Hearts II bored me for the first five hours. Ni no Kuni starts quick but slows down within an hour. Xenosaga 2 is like hands down the epitome of slow JRPGs.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I dunno the HD version, but for the PSP version i agree with the quote from hardcore gamer, it's a game with many good ideas mutilated by a totally stupid and wrong conception of "handheld" game that badly damages all the (few, luckily)handheld games based on it.

LiK

Complete BS too.

agreed, that was quite a generalization.

artsi

I'll just wipe off that GamingTrend score from my personal average.. According to them Jackass on NDS was better than this.

xRAWNre.jpg

I recognize that a Metacritic score is far from an objective ruling on a game's quality, but more often than not my own experience with a game falls in line roughly with the metascore if viewed through a traditional school rating A - 90s, B - 80s, etc. which makes a 75 disappointing, but it will probably still be a decent experience.

Not good enough to push me further towards buying one of the new consoles for it though, which on the plus side gives the game time to possibly come out on PC.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Brace yourselves for all the "but it's a port of a PSP game, you can't judge it by the same standards as a full-blown console title!!!" review rebuttals every time a mediocre score pops up.

Oh well I'm still hyped for this game. Can't wait for my PS4 copy to show up.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, should we dig up the old PSP OT for this game or does anyone actually just not give a shit about this title?

aerts1js

I think the reviews are pretty positive.. I mean, it's a 60 dollars PSP remaster and metacritic is around 75; I don't think you can ask for much better.

Skilletor

Damn, reviews go from high to mehh. Not sure what do do now.

Watch some footage, read the reviews and determine whether or not the negatives are too much for you to deal with?

The game is several years old. It's not like there isn't tons of impressions available.

I've always found the best bet is to find a few sites/reviewers that tend to agree with you, and then read their reviews.

But really, there's enough footage out there (and streams) to make an informed decision at this point.

emrober5

Reviews are about what I expected. You aren't going to see a psp port get a bunch of 10/10s.

I got this for the XV demo, but I am looking forward to playing it. I really know nothing about Type-0.

Welp this game just shipped from Gamefly so it should come in by Wednesday or Thursday.

Of course I say that and it will come in next Monday like Xenoverse lol.

Look at some footage (there's always someone streaming at Twitch), and then read the reviews. Basically the gameplay is good, the camera is bad, the story of the game got pretty mixed opinions, and the graphics are what you're seeing in videos I guess...

Ey, 76 Metacritic.

Slowly but surely reaching that 99.... =X

Top Bottom