• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD | Review Thread

I'll just wipe off that GamingTrend score from my personal average.. According to them Jackass on NDS was better than this.

xRAWNre.jpg
I understand what you're trying to say, but you're goinng about it wrong. The Jackass and Type-0 reviews were written by different people. Kenneth Shepard wrote Type-0 and Ron Burke did Jackass. So you can't conflate those scores. On the other hand, feel free to check Shepard's other reviews and see if his tastes line up with yours.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I love reviews. English va is good for destructoid and terrible for another one. I can really only trust myself :D

muteki

Its funny to see someone will play PSP-HD remaster again on handheld

I'm still burned by it not being on Vita, and if Remote Play allows that in a roundabout way, then at least that is something.

And honestly, I don't think the "HD" or "remaster" part of this game (or graphics in general) is the primary selling point for many people. If it is, they will be disappointed.

artsi

Damn, reviews go from high to mehh. Not sure what do do now.

Well it's expected that people tend to rate a PSP remaster low on PS4 standards / price.

Personally I'm considering that

* The game got great reception when it originally released in Japan
* It's still the same game except with much better visuals / audio
* I liked when I played it briefly a year ago

I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot.

I mean I doubt FF7 would get 10/10 reviews if it was released today, but it's still a good game.

Mbrill82

Pretty sure I'm gonna buy this tomorrow. Also pretty sure I'll only get 5-10 hours into it this week and then ignore it in favor of Bloodborne. Oh well, such is life and it's only money. I haven't really played any substantial amount of any modern Final Fantasy game since FF9 (I've replayed the SNES games since then) so it seems like time. I hope it really catches my attention, I'm sure it will at least make the next week of waiting for Bloodborne easier.

Well it's expected that people tend to rate a PSP remaster low on PS4 standards / price.

Personally I'm considering that

* The game got great reception when it originally released in Japan
* It's still the same game except with much better visuals / audio
* I liked when I played it briefly a year ago

I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot.

I mean I doubt FF7 would get 10/10 reviews if it was released today, but it's still a good game.

On that note, it'll be interesting to see what reviews look like for the FF7 PS4 version coming this Spring.

Where!?
This is the lowest I found it so far:
http://www.find-game.co.uk/43439-Final-Fantasy-Type-0-HD.htm
£32

I got it from Rakuten via SimplyGames. Their listed price was £32.85. Use MARGIFT5 promo to get it for £27.85.

On the last day of Feb I used a 15% off voucher so it was reduced to £27.92. Because I used that voucher I got an extra offer, Rakuten gave me a free £5 to spend on their site. After pondering what I should use that on, I cleverly decided to find out if I could find a game or two that cost £5 that had high trade in value. I found two that GAME took off my hands for £9. So overall Type-0 set me back £18.92.

nikos

That motion blur does look really bad, but I want to give this game a chance. I also really want to play the FFXV demo.

I don't think I can hold out on getting this. Hopefully I can get used to that motion blur or it's patched.

Given I'm pegging the effective price of this at $30-40 I didn't have terribly high expectations. Certainly did not order this exclusively for the XV demo but it's the only reason I'm okay paying full retail. Hell I forgot to even look for a review thread since I figured it would be extremely uninteresting. I was expecting a very flashy up-port of a PSP game that got a favorable reception in Japan and that's exactly what the end product seems to be.

For $30-40 I wasn't expecting a mind-blowing JRPG experience in the first place, but the reviews do generally seem to affirm that it's worth a play for fans of series and/or genre. Good enough.

Oh, and it's interesting to see the "year of the extremely divisive and varied review scores" continue. It's not a bad thing.

I got it for under £30 with the game collection. That was with a 10% off code though, so pre ordered xenoblade 3d, bloodborne and type 0 all with the code at all pretty good prices I think.

Now I just want to hope type 0 comes on Wednesday (with the EU demo being live), then I can play it ALL DAY :D

There was a CEX near me that had it in stock today for £30. I waited till the afternoon to go. There was only an XBone version on the shelf. They said 2 people bought the PS4 copies online so they reserved them, so even if I went first thing in the morning probably would have been out of luck. They had steel covers as well!

The guy pointed out that they didn't have the demo codes, but still. The trade in value is £20 (£21 GAME price match) so I would have taken that £9 loss to play it early. Oh well.

SimplyGames haven't dispatched yet so I'm not hopeful for super early fun times. However my previous Rakuten order never updated with shipping status, so hopefully that's the case this time too lol and it'll be with me tomorrow :D. Prolly not though.

I completely forgot I never preordered this. And here I was expecting it to come in tomorrow.

I think I was still hoping the CE becomes available somewhere.

Wagram

Once again I have to wonder, is the story bad or is the reviewer unable to comprehend it?

Big difference if you ask me because this happens a lot.

They never did

I'd argue the opposite, but either way, I think they've been pretty consistent in tone and execution over the years (though obviously some aspects have changed with technology). I'm always amazed when someone hates the story of any given FF title but likes others.

UberTag

Went on record expecting a 73-74 Metacritic. Game is currently sitting at 76.
Feel somewhat vindicated after guessing 70-71 Metacritic for The Order: 1886 only for it to sink to 65.

Reveirg

I had predicted 78 average, it's now sitting at 76. Hehehe.

Not that it makes me happy =(.

I knew that this wasn't the kind of game critics would like.

Type-0 makes a poor first impression in its first hours as it begins bombarding players with pages of jargon that it takes no time elaborate on, frontloading the game’s opening moments with tons of information, but with little exposition. Rather than making an effort to weave explanations into its narrative, Square-Enix treats players to documentary esque slideshows narrated by a disembodied voice, but never bothers to clarify the cause for the war you’ll find yourself thrown into, nor the roles that most of the people you’ll see play within the ongoing battle you’re participating in. This isn’t helped by poor cutscene pacing and moments where some events seem to cut short, even as dialogue is still going on. Entire events within Type-0’s narrative go unseen with Square Enix being content to tell, not show, important moments well after the fact.

http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-out-of-its-element/

Well, that pretty much settles it for me.

RDreamer

I'd argue the opposite, but either way, I think they've been pretty consistent in tone and execution over the years (though obviously some aspects have changed with technology). I'm always amazed when someone hates the story of any given FF title but likes others.

I'd agree, mostly. Most of the writing has been similar throughout the life of the series, good or bad. It's just people don't seem to realize that adding voice acting and more realistic graphics to that same story will make things 100x more awkward and kind of highlight obvious flaws.

Taruranto

The question is, is it actually like FFXIII, where you don't need those encyclopedia entries to understand if you have even a cursory ability to pay attention, or is it undecipherable nonsense without reading the entries?

It's somehow more stupid, for some reason they decide to hide the complete version of some cut-scenes in the codex while you get the "summary" version of it in the main storyline.

Personally, I thought the plot was ok until the last chapters, then it goes pants-on-the-head stupid with deus-ex machina and whatnot. I don't think it's much better than XIII, honestly.

The PSP thread has a lot of impressions from people who played all of the game, probably worth more than most reviews.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781457&page=28

Reveirg

Maybe the reviewer just didn't play NG+? I've been told it fills all those gaps.

Venturebeat:
Type-0’s mobile and portable roots show in the lack of exploration provided.[...]Players can explore during downtime between missions, but that mostly involves covering the same dozen or so areas of the academy, talking to the same non-player characters over and over. It’s a good thing that a sort of fast-forward option exists to move right into the next mission.
Kotaku:
Type-0's world is full of NPCs with gloomy things to say, from snarky moogles to treacherous politicians, and in their own little ways, they're more interesting than the main plot ever is. Exploration is encouraged and rewarded with memorable moments.

Which is it? =D

UberTag

Maybe the reviewer just didn't play NG+? I've been told it fills all those gaps.
Since when are reviewers expected to play NG+ modes? Have they ever done that? They don't have that kind of time available.

The only instance where multiple playthroughs were consistently referenced in reviews that I'm aware of was with 999 (which kind of requires it).
Although, clearly in this instance, the VB reviewer didn't even bother to explore.

Top Bottom