• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC port for PS4 out Oct 16th, $15.99

Pejo

They made a huge mistake by not having this available right after the FF7r announcement. It would have sold gangbusters because the emotion was riding so high at that point. Hell I started a replay right afterwards, and after being frustrated at the difficulty of getting everything downloaded and working for Tifa's Bootleg mods, ended up downloading it and playing it on my VITA as a PS1 classic.

I'd have bought it instantly on PS4 if that was an option.

Elios83

So they have basically aligned this with the release of the iOS version.
I wonder if there will be technical changes compared to the current Pc Steam version.

qko

Wow, using the Nintendo Virtual Console method of pricing.

EDIT: Maybe even worse since N64 games are US$10.

Pagusas

Elden Member
No that version looks like this
muUSb7T.jpg

The PS4 version will be 1080p and playable and won't make your eyes bleed.
I hope they do FFVIII and FFIX too

Basically this version will look like that except higher resolution character models (though still the same models), in other words its going to look even more jarring/worse unless they do something about those super low resolution backgrounds.

Basically this version will look like that except higher resolution character models (though still the same models), in other words its going to look even more jarring/worse unless they do something about those super low resolution backgrounds.

Precisely! Unless SE has been holding back on super high rez pre-rendered backgrounds. *drool*

OranSky

Banned
I was planning on buying this regardless of the remake to get back into it after losing the halfway done save I had on my PSP and personally I think 17$ is fine for a game as big as FFVII, but why on each did it get delayed so far? It's a port of a port of a ps1 game for crying out loud. My first thought when I saw the new release date was that the guys tasked on this must have simply forgot to do the job or something, why else would this have been delayed?

Shin-Ra

Unless they're working from the original renders (all of them), they shouldn't be encouraged to tamper with the backgrounds. No filtering even unless it's an optional real-time rendered adjustment.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
it will look better, this is the steam version
2013-11-29_00002.jpg

That picture I posted before looks worse in person, characters are just pixels and is blocky as shit.
At least those are solid polygons.

I bought the PS3 version for 10 bucks. Only to have a look at the intro, never actually played it. Bought it to show my interest in a FF VII remake. As it turned out, best 10 bucks spent ever. You can thank me later.

SOLDIER

Kagari had mentioned that the port may get a new translation, and it would be in there best interest to do so.

This port is essentially to get people excited about the remake, including newcomers. I can't imagine at this point that they would put this on PS4 and iOS without retranslating the game.

Also you should watch this to see what a properly translated FFVII looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEyIdWzehbk

Shin-Ra

I hope there's an option to render 3D at low-res, 1:16 on the same pixel grid as the backgrounds so everything blends better like the original.

17701258942_a9936339de_o.png

Begaria

Should've thrown an exclusive FFVII Remake demo (whenever they get far enough into development) at that price.

Pagusas

Elden Member
it will look better, this is the steam version
2013-11-29_00002.jpg

That picture I posted before looks worse in person, characters are just pixels and is blocky as shit.
At least those are solid polygons.

That still pixilated as hell. Yeah not as bad as the other picture, but the backgrounds are still way to low resolution.

You'd think they want to ride the hype of the remake by having this port of a port available to buy at E3. How they managed to screw that up is silly.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I've been replaying it on PS3/Vita and some backgrounds are lower resolution than others. I believe that train scene might be one of the nicer ones. Hahah

You'd think they'd at least give it the Resident evil treatment! Even just upscalig and sharpening would be better than a strait nearest neighbor upscale like this.

I would go for the Platinum trophy, then I saw this:

n5lN7n.png

Nevermind.
Mastering all Materia isn't that bad, actually. I did it in the PS version to get copies of the Master Summon, Magic etc, Materia and while it does take grinding, it's really not all that long when you know how. (Movers in the Northern Crater, triple AP weapons and double AP armour). The money one might take a while, but they might port over the booster from the PC version and from there it's just a matter of selling mastered All materia to fill her up.

Personally though, I'd like to see a redone list for the PS4. Maybe something like defeating the most powerful form of Safer Sephiroth, or visiting every location on the world map, or something different than getting limit breaks and using limit breaks.

Pagusas

Elden Member

... yes. Nearest neighbor on a 88" screen is going to be nasty as hell and nothing but raw pixels spewed everywhere. Put that ontop of clean HD geomtry (no matter how simple it is) and it will look like complete crap. I'm not saying its good, or desired, I'm saying its better than the shit they are trying to use.

liquidtmd

Banned
I've not played it in years, I'm a PS4 only gamer, I don't own a gaming PC and Square are doing remake.

All over this - not even mad about the price.

ash_ag

I hope there's an option to render 3D at low-res, 1:16 on the same pixel grid as the backgrounds so everything blends better like the original.

17701258942_a9936339de_o.png

This looks great. Possibly better than the original PS1 version due to the free AA character models receive (blending better with the background as a result). Is it a mod of the Steam version? How are battles (which generally don't use pre-rendered backgrounds) affected?

That said, I have to say that I can't fathom how people can prefer the HD port over the original. The character models have aged quite badly, and presenting them into higher detail makes matters worse. It looks so inconsistent and unpolished that I'd take the original PS1 game over it any day. Ideally on a Vita, since the portable form factor helps not only in masking the imperfections, but is also more suitable for distant camera perspectives such as this:

4xTO02o.png

Shin-Ra

This looks great. Possibly better than the original PS1 version due to the free AA character models receive (blending better with the background as a result). Is it a mod of the Steam version? How are battles (which generally don't use pre-rendered backgrounds) affected?
I found a 1080p 4:3 PC screenshot and nearest-neighbour downsampled so the 3D matches the 2D background pixel grid.

Then I added back the 'high'-res (4x) PC speech box.

Top Bottom