• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

The instruments used in FF7 are just as iconic as the notes themselves, for me.

But a few things in the PC songs have been bothering me tbh. Like I am expecting a certain part of Bombing Raid to play and it sounds totally muffled and odd. But in some songs it sounds better. I will have to play to the end and see which stacks up. I might end up despising it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno, for me personally I am liking this. It's like some strange midi variation of the soundtrack that I have never heard before. I don't mind really, as the PS1 version is the only one I have been hearing for 15 years.
Haha, that's kind of how I felt when I played the PS1 version for the first time ever since I'd ended up getting accustomed to the PC version for a few years.

I ended up preferring the PS1 version of the soundtrack in most places when I'd finally played both versions all the way through. Stuff like Flowers Blooming in the Church is a little better on PC than it was on the PS1, for me, personally, though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
30,000 gil for infinite amounts of fun whenever I want?

COUNT ME IN!

I've already played more than 2 hours of the game and only had to restart the game a few times to get the online connection working, maybe you're just really unlucky.
It just let me through and I'd been trying since roughly 7PM EST.

Does everyone who has these connection errors have the US version?
I don't have any problems connecting to the servers with the EU version.
I am in the U.S.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gold Saucer song is much better in this version!

Razek

Banned
Even compared to some of the super expensive sound card examples posted in here, the ps1 soundtrack is the superior version to me.

But a few things in the PC songs have been bothering me tbh. Like I am expecting a certain part of Bombing Raid to play and it sounds totally muffled and odd. But in some songs it sounds better. I will have to play to the end and see which stacks up. I might end up despising it.

There are definitely instruments getting muffled or cut out completely. The end of the loop in the battle theme is missing a particular sound I liked.

Eyothrie

I've played the game for a while now with an internet connection but wanted to try without, so I disconnected. After getting the expected error, I pressed 'continue' presumably to play offline, but 'New Game' is my only option. 'Continue' is greyed out. It doesn't look like the game will allow you to continue where you left off if you disconnect your internet :(

tmaynard

What's up with the black area at the bottom of the screen? At first I thought it had to do with my resolution, but I'm seeing it in other screenshots as well. When you're in the menu, the graphics fill the screen fine.

I've played the game for a while now with an internet connection but wanted to try without, so I disconnected. After getting the expected error, I pressed 'continue' presumably to play offline, but 'New Game' is my only option. 'Continue' is greyed out. It doesn't look like the game will allow you to continue where you left off if you disconnect your internet :(

You need to disconnect mid game, you will get a message overlay stating your saves will now be local. It will then work for you, stupid I know.
That being said I'm loving replaying it so far.

antitrop

What's up with the black area at the bottom of the screen? At first I thought it had to do with my resolution, but I'm seeing it in other screenshots as well. When you're in the menu, the graphics fill the screen fine.
It was like that in the original PC version in 1998 as well, it's nothing new or strange.

Yoshichan

Corel Prison song is really, really good... I would say it's better than the original.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Hmm...does this game not save your save data locally when you're connected? When I tried it, I disconnected while playing the game (to see if I'd get an error message), so it saved my current progress locally, that's why I didn't have your problem. Seems pretty dumb if it really saves online only when connected.

Hmm...does this game not save your save data locally when you're connected? When I tried it, I disconnected while playing the game (to see if I'd get an error message), so he saved my current progress locally, that's why I didn't have your problem. Seems pretty dumb if it really saves online only when connected.

That would make sense I guess.

TheContact

I never got the email for the free game, but I downloaded the client, used the old serial it gave me when I bought it before, and it worked. When they send me the email with the free copy, maybe it will have a different serial? If it does I'll give it away here.

Edit: nvm, needs an activation code. Never got that originally. Unless the activation code is the serial number, but the servers aren't working now anyway so who knows.

Holden

Holyshit, i've never had a harder time buying a game.

Went to their website, bought the game, tells me that i will receive an email shortly, i receive the email an hour later, but not just one email, 2 email... so i got charged twice (i didn't buy it twice). So i have to send them a ticket.

I register one of the email and then i go under My Games, i see Final fantasy VII there, i click it and it sends me to the store page.

Can anybody help me? like how is it this complicated?

edit: guess i should of read the thread before buying it...

Yoshichan

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love that S-E is so afraid someone is going to pirate a shitty version of a 15 year old game.

Pachinko

I actually would have been interested in this if they at least fixed the music but it seems they did not. It's still horrible sounding raw midi. I don't care if they'd have to re-code the music player to use MP3 files instead, that raw midi always sounded hollow. I think midi's only purpose was so you could download music in the era of 56k and 800mb hard drive sizes.

These sound a lot more...synthy I guess? I wouldn't say they're bad per se. (It's an interesting take on the songs, but they're far from being the definitive versions.) Except for One Winged Angle. I mean, it's 20-freaking-12 and they still can't be bothered to have the vocal version on PC? Embarrassing.

I don't know, I don't like supporting this kind of efforts...

Yeah, I wouldn't either. The whole thing comes across as yet, another shameless, milking/cash-in. From everything I've read, heard, and seen, it also reeks of not really caring about the project or the source material. Pretty sad. Just give us a freaking worthy remake, or don't make anything at all.

Link Man

Banned
Well, hmm. I would buy this, but it seems they don't accept Paypal. Guess I'll wait to see if it goes on Steam (I have it on my PSP anyway).

I still can't believe people are buying this.

A higher resolution version of one of my favorite games of all time for $10 is absolutely worth it. I wasn't doing PC gaming when the original PC port version came out so this is rather new to me. I am digging it a lot more than the PS1 version tbh.

antitrop

A higher resolution version of one of my favorite games of all time for $10 is absolutely worth it. I wasn't doing PC gaming when the original PC port version came out so this is rather new to me. I am digging it a lot more than the PS1 version tbh.
After changing the music to PS1 original, this is definitely the definitive version of Final Fantasy VII.

Top Bottom