• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

Really? I remember wishing the whole game took place in Midgar back when I first played the game. Those first few hours are always pretty amazing for me. :-/

I like the whole thing, but yeah... I guess I just like that sorta futuristic aesthetic.

The first few times I found it to be gritty and it was a setting I was not used to seeing in the genre. But ten-plus times through the game I now see it as an overly linear cess-pool of a city that I want to get the hell out of as soon as possible. But I assumed Cloud and gang probably felt the same lol.

Being able to leave Midgar and wander a massive green world felt like the biggest breath of fresh air I have felt in a game before.

Ugh, wish I was there. I get so bored of the Midgar bits after all these years. On PSN version I have a save right after you leave so I don't have to ever visit that place ever again.

The exit from Midgar in Final Fantasy VII is one of the most brilliant moments in all of gaming IMO. That said, the non-stop action of Midgar up to that point is also unbelievably brilliant, and unbelievably touching. I can understand if you think it is depressing though -- because it certainly is (except Aeris' church, and the hot tub scene!!!).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The first few times I found it to be gritty and it was a setting I was not used to seeing in the genre. But ten-plus times through the game I now see it as an overly linear cess-pool of a city that I want to get the hell out of as soon as possible. But I assumed Cloud and gang probably felt the same lol.

Being able to leave Midgar and wander a massive green world felt like the biggest breath of fresh air I have felt in a game before.

Yeah, I can see that. I dunno. The whole futuristic wasteland thing has always been my thing. And I love the Shinra building to death.

Emitan

Can't you just backtrack to this place and then go to the right (east)? I think you should come back to the exact spot that you want to go to.

dsWZK.png

jesus christ what am i looking at

neoism

lool yoshi you are insane man.... 100% in less than 50 hours... damn. You should play games for a living if you don't already...lol
you comin back to D3 for 1.0.4........

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
lool yoshi you are insane man.... 100% in less than 50 hours... damn. You should play games for a living if you don't already...lol
you comin back to D3 for 1.0.4........
I'm not planning on coming back for 1.0.4.

Also, I am living for playing games.

I don't think you can play this with a mouse at all iirc. I can't imagine how that control scheme would work in this game.

I remember playing the original PC version and it was controlled with the number pad. 8,2,4,6 were up, down, left, and right, enter was OK, 0 was cancel / run, + was menu, del the other button, 5 start. At least I think that was a default setting, but it was a pretty decent control scheme. I wonder if you can set it up that way.

DeVeAn

Any other mods work for this besides the PSX music? Really would love the new character models and text. So awesome looking.

Zzoram

Is this game even still good after we have gotten used to all the advancements in gameplay over the past 15 years?

What's the DRM? I think I read there is an activation limit? Can you recover activations easily?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
lol, always online DRM for aged-cheese.

flyover

The exit from Midgar in Final Fantasy VII is one of the most brilliant moments in all of gaming IMO.
I agree. Maybe the most brilliant. That point in my first playthrough has certainly been my single favorite moment of gaming.

I loved Midgar, too. But breaking out felt so liberating and unexpected, just as it was for the characters. One of those perfect synergy moments between actor and avatar.

I agree. Maybe the most brilliant. That point in my first playthrough has certainly been my single favorite moment of gaming.

I loved Midgar, too. But breaking out felt so liberating and unexpected, just as it was for the characters. One of those perfect synergy moments between actor and avatar.

I think it is difficult to say that any moment is THE most brilliant. But I like how you phrase it. It is indeed a perfect synergistic moment...in fact I wouldn't call it synergy so much as the release of the crescendo of all the things that happen prior to it, and that crescendo releases right into the gamer's emotions.

FF7 makes clear the lack of soul that games today tend to have.

flyover

I think it is difficult to say that any moment is THE most brilliant. But I like how you phrase it. It is indeed a perfect synergistic moment...in fact I wouldn't call it synergy so much as the release of the crescendo of all the things that happen prior to it, and that crescendo releases right into the gamer's emotions.
That's a good way of putting it. This thread has sparked my FF VII jones again. I hope I never get to a point in my life where I don't feel like revisiting it every couple of years.

TheContact

I like the music because its different, not because it's better. I'm enjoying replaying this on the pc, I haven't played on a bigger screen than the psp's in like 10 years

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

FF7 makes clear the lack of soul that games today tend to have.
The feeling of how huge Midgar was coupled with leaving it and the feeling of "Wow, there's a whole other world out here!" was incredible.

Xane

Hm, might be getting it next month or so.

About the music though, can anyone upload the music files (OGGs)?
I'll see what I can do to replace them with PS1's soundtrack.

Neil

Really enjoying watching the streams, looking at the pics etc... Keep 'em coming, guys!

Wish I could get this but unfortunately my old Laptop is only 1.7GHz (I've had 2 MacBook's since then!) so I won't be able to play it.

However, I have restarted a game on the PSP. Just at Shrinra HQ. Can't wait to bust out of Midgar, I would definitely agree that it's one of the most brilliant gaming moments of all time for me. They worked so hard to make Midgar look humongous and then suddenly it's a tiny dot on a giant map. Although of course, the World Map doesn't show the towns to scale...

DeVeAn

I am still annoyed that my square enix username isn't carrying over to ff7 id. Still member103837492. Guess I should email them?

TheContact

Did you use Planet Protector, too, or is there another way?

Nope I just put sadness on the party, stuck them in the back row. Gave Red13 elemental tied with fire on armor slot. Cloud got booted, aeris died after beta. Red13 survived beta with 250hp left, got hit immediately after for 150 or so. I had a high potion ready and just kept red13 alive while bio dot finished him off. Took me like 10 attempts or so

Not sure if it has been mentioned but, you most definately can play this offline, it informs you that everything will be saved locally too. Im guessing you just need to have activated it at first then it should all be hunky dory.

pottuvoi

Banned
It's really not a great comparison unless you see them both in motion since the Playstation version suffers from that twitchy polygon thing that happens in 3D games.
Thats due to the lack of sub-pixel precision on ps1 and one of the biggest reasons why Ps1 games look very bad at the times.

On PC everything just looks better as vertexes on polygon do not jump around from pixel center to the next all the time. (Was flabbergasted at the time when I saw the difference demoed to me.)

Not much. FF8 PC plays well with modern machines and is graphically superior the PSX original, unlike 7PC. Would be a no brainer.

No it doesn't. I installed it last night and hard locked my PC in the opening movie. Apparently you can't run the game from CD's because it causes problems with the movies but I can't seem to make ISO's out of them either.

None of that is necessary with FF7 PC.

Suairyu

Banned
No it doesn't. I installed it last night and hard locked my PC in the opening movie. Apparently you can't run the game from CD's because it causes problems with the movies but I can't seem to make ISO's out of them either.

None of that is necessary with FF7 PC.
Correction, then: it works fine on mine and many other modern PCs.

Top Bottom