• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

Seik

Banned
All the model mods are fine. Any of the rendering mods though no longer work.

mKUYG.png

Oh nice, is this mod just as easy to use as the PSX music mod?

Does it work during all the game with no crashes?

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot, why does Cloud have the masamune in your pic? :p

Diablos

Internet required? For FFVII? Wow.

Considering I have the PSX discs and PSN release, I'll pass on this. Seems to look better that way too.

Oh nice, is this mod just as easy to use as the PSX music mod?

Does it work during all the game with no crashes?

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot, why does Cloud have the masamune in your pic? :p

It's part of the model installer. The one I used is unified model installer. Pro-tip: It likes to add new folder to the path you choose for your ffvii installation. Make sure to remove that so it points to the folder where the ff7_en.exe is. Also, some models rely on graphic mods to correct transparencies so be careful about which models you choose. The game doesn't crash though.

Is there any other way to get my serial code? I was in a hurry when I purchased the game and didn't even know to look for a code confirmation screen. Bought it 24 hours ago and still no email.

I pretty pissed about the whole situation. To put DRM on a game this old and this cheap is insane in the first place. Then an online store that doesn't even email you a receipt when you buy something is inexcusable. I literally have zero proof that I actually purchased the game.

Is there any other way to get my serial code? I was in a hurry when I purchased the game and didn't even know to look for a code confirmation screen. Bought it 24 hours ago and still no email.

I pretty pissed about the whole situation. To put DRM on a game this old and this cheap is insane in the first place. Then an online store that doesn't even email you a receipt when you purchase something is inexcusable. I literally have zero proof that I actually purchased the game.

Search on findmyorder.com using your email address and last 4 digits of CC

TheContact

I installed another copy of FF7 onto my laptop and logged out of FF7 on my pc, now it won't let me back in. Instead of going to the Play window, it brings me to a "insert your activation key" which just gives me server errors whenever I re enter the serial. My other account is now working, which wasn't working before, but it's brand new. Any way to transfer over the saves?

Well I fixed it by just changing my password. That was weird.

Um...but I lost 3 hours of game saves. I thought they were supposed to be stored on cloud?? I guess when I went to the laptop and booted it up, it didn't have the most recent save data, and then it updated it and overwrote the data. So lame

TheContact

protip guys: if you plan on playing this on multiple pcs, use different save slots. Save in a brand new save slot (Like Save 2, not another save within Save 1). When you switch over to the PC, it won't pick up your most recent saves unless you save it in a new section.

Jucksalbe

Banned
protip guys: if you plan on playing this on multiple pcs, use different save slots. Save in a brand new save slot (Like Save 2, not another save within Save 1). When you switch over to the PC, it won't pick up your most recent saves unless you save it in a new section.

I really don't know why I'm seemingly one of the very few where the save data syncs work like they should. I'm switching constantly between two PCs, have only one save file, and never had a problem. I hope they fix this soon.

mr stroke

Almost out of Midgar and surprisingly this game still holds up very well. Maybe its the nostalgia but damn this is Square at its finest. Having not played the game since PS1 days the atmosphere, characters, and soundtrack still feel amazing.

Now only if someone could mod those pixelated backgrounds :/

Toth

Aali's Custom OpenGL driver that these mods use works on FF8, I don't think many mods have actually been made for it though.

There's a list of them here.

I hope they release 8 on PC soon as well since I really would like to play a hard version of the game. Like 7 before, there aren't any places to legally download it, are there?

PK Gaming

Wow.

I'm watching EQ2Alyza's FF7 playthrough (the one with the awesome new models) and the entirety of Midgar is REALLY good. Damn i've got to get my hands on FF7 asap...

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Jeeeeeeezzzzzzzz. Just spent like 4-5 hours in Battle Arena getting Cloud's final limit. Hope you all enjoyed watching that -.-'' I was hoping to get alot more done today than Cloud/Tifia's final limits and like 2 enemy skills but oh well :/

Twitch VODs
http://www.twitch.tv/corran666/videos

Got like the first 10~ hours on youtube atm if you prefer that method, will be doing the rest in due time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/corranhorn666

That win against the Malboro was pretty awesome haha.
lol ya that first victory was kinda just like "OH SHIT PLEASE DIE" method

TheD

The Detective
Thats due to the lack of sub-pixel precision on ps1 and one of the biggest reasons why Ps1 games look very bad at the times.

On PC everything just looks better as vertexes on polygon do not jump around from pixel center to the next all the time. (Was flabbergasted at the time when I saw the difference demoed to me.)

Fun fact, PCSX-R has an option in it's graphics settings called GTE accuracy that ups the number of bits the transform matrix uses and can get rid of or tone down the jumping when you run at a higher res (because normally it is forced to use the native res matrix).

Wish I could get this but unfortunately my old Laptop is only 1.7GHz (I've had 2 MacBook's since then!) so I won't be able to play it.

This game was made in the era of Pentium IIs, they would have to be moronic to make it so it does not run on a system a order of magnitude faster.

I pretty pissed about the whole situation. To put DRM on a game this old and this cheap is insane in the first place.

Just goes to show how dumb and paranoid publishers can be.

Nothing you can really do about those.

Well... I would not say that (at least for the original PC version), someone made a Photoshop script that processes the backround images and ups the res on them, it does give it a bit of the look of a painting but it is no longer pixelated, it is called "facepalmer" (not joking).

Some other mod is looking to remake all the backgrounds from scratch (but that is going to take a while).

Hopefully someone finds a way to make custom backgrounds work with this version.

Rad-

I'm replaying this after like 7-8 years. I'm surprised how fun it still is. Screw the FF7 haters, this game is quality.

I can't decide which version I want to play for a replay. I've been playing the PSX version on PS3 for a while which looks fine when not stretched across my entire screen, like this:

hGjy2.jpg

I'm not THAT far into it, but to play the same part again on PC, eugh. What also doesn't help is that the field graphics are awful. There is no way to get that to look better, right? So many pixels!

bR3pt.png

I think Jessie's expression sums it up:

eQeJY.png

Why is her mouth even open like that ALL THE TIME I don't even

However in battle it looks great.

JPV9K.png

I also love how smooth it all is, the analog control works great and the loading times are superfast.

SO YEAH :L

Youd think they'd try to clean up those backgrounds a little bit

short of applying some smeary filter, or completely re-rendering brand new backgrounds, they can't. no longer have the source files & even if they did, unless they were updated & converted to something modern hardware could understand, it'd be tricky to re-render at a higher resolution.

Gui_PT

short of applying some smeary filter, or completely re-rendering brand new backgrounds, they can't. no longer have the source files & even if they did, unless they were updated & converted to something modern hardware could understand, it'd be tricky to re-render at a higher resolution.

True.

Are there no source files because back in the day people didn't care about keeping that kind of material?

True.

Are there no source files because back in the day people didn't care about keeping that kind of material?

pretty much. had no reason to keep them, from what i can gather. they also sold off a number of the sgi workstations (i think) & made a large number of the workforce redundant, although quite a few were only temporary for the vii project anyway, so those layoffs may not have had an effect. the original pc version had to use the compressed 640x480 playstation backgrounds for a lot of the stuff too, simply because they no longer had many of the original files. pretty short sighted, basically.

Gui_PT

pretty much. had no reason to keep them, from what i can gather. they also sold off a number of the sgi workstations (i think) & made a large number of the workforce redundant, although quite a few were only temporary for the vii project anyway, so those layoffs may not have had an effect. the original pc version had to use the compressed 640x480 playstation backgrounds for a lot of the stuff too, simply because they no longer had many of the original files. pretty short sighted, basically.

The only obvious option is to hire a team and recreate all the backgrounds+textures to get decent renders.

Cheap too.

Ultratech

True.

In the old days, losing the source files for games wasn't terribly uncommon.
Granted, the fact that it happened for VII is a little jarring, but a little understandable.

The main basis for that is once the game's released, they typically don't have much use for it and unless the game ran into some major issues (re: game-breaking bugs and such), there's not a lot of point in keeping it.
On top of that, even if they did lose it, it'd have little impact on the company (with the exception of what I mentioned above).

Kinda crappy, but it happens.

Though I'd argue that keeping the Source Code is pretty important, just for various reasons and such.
(In the case of downloadable games and those in development, you absolutely WANT to keep it.)

mattp

maybe i'm in the minority here, but i don't know how you guys can stand looking at those polygonal models rendered at 1920x1080(or whatever your monitor is) over 320x240 backgrounds. god it looks so fucking horrible

i'll take having the models rendered at ps1 res over that any day. at least it's consistent and they match

it would be like playing an NES megaman with snes sprites over the regular nes levels or something

edit: actually, no its way worse than my megaman example

Top Bottom