• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Nomura Confirms Combat is Action Based

Here for it. Can't wait to use Tifa, Yuffie and Vincent in the new gameplay system.

tumblr_o8gxtvq5Fw1u9kezro1_500.gif

Was this ever in doubt after the PSX 2015 trailer? You clearly see action combat in there and they describe it being similar to KH and Dissidia. Either way I'm exciting. I need more Square Action RPGs that are less like FFXV in the combat department.

The Dude

And also for those who didn't play it that might be anticipating it, if I was a younger crowd or never played it I'd want to play it as close to the original as possible graphics aside.

And when it comes to turn based combat, it's still one of the best combat systems... It's why dragon quest has always been an incredible series because it for the most part has stuck to the roots and people love it.

I get of modern FFs want to go real time, but like said above, the whole FF7 package should not be altered in any shape or form other than graphics and a few other bells and whistles.

ZenTzen

Zen, I totally understand that, and I'm certainly not trying to derail anyone's hype of this game. If it looks appealing to you, regardless of if you played the original or not, then I think that is great and introduces more people to the game/story arc.

I just personally feel that FF7 existed as a certain package, and should remain that way. I wouldn't be happy if they massively altered any of the core systems, not just the turn based combat.
And thats where i disagree with you, while yes FF7 exists as a certain package, i dont agree that everything should stay that way, i dont want a FF7 with just a new coat of paint and i fully expect changes in the remake, and, while what i'm about to say isnt to dismiss anyones opinions, i always have the OG FF7 to enjoy whenever i want to

AgeEighty

Still don't get why so many people want this to be an action game. We already have a ton of action games; why morph other games into ones as well?

They could've come up with something that updates turn-based/command input combat in a way that feels modern yet keeps FFVII feeling like it's still FFVII.

Fredrik

Still don't get why so many people want this to be an action game. We already have a ton of action games; why morph other games into ones as well?

They could've come up with something that updates turn-based/command input combat in a way that feels modern yet keeps FFVII feeling like it's still FFVII.
Yeah I'm not a fan of this either, FF7 without turnbased fights wouldn't be FF7, it would just be another futuristic action adventure with a cool story, which is not what I want for a remake of FF7.
This plus splitting it up in several parts with maybe only one part releasing this generation makes me less than happy about the future of this project.

BreakAtmo

It's not that lots of people want it to be action game. It's that Nomura wants it to be an action game and most people aren't so attached to turn-based combat that they declare him wrong about it.

AgeEighty

Nomura wanted to make an action game. The end.

This argument only ever seems to be applied to decisions the poster likes.

"Nintendo wanted to make a hybrid console. The end." is certainly not going to stop people from debating Switch, so why would it here?

BreakAtmo

Yeah I'm not a fan of this either, FF7 without turnbased fights wouldn't be FF7, it would just be another futuristic action adventure with a cool story, which is not what I want for a remake of FF7.
This plus splitting it up in several parts with maybe only one part releasing this generation makes me less than happy about the future of this project.

"FF7 without blocky character models wouldn't be FF7, it would just be another futuristic RPG with a cool story".

Personally I like that they're changing Final Fantasy VII with this remake. A remake that is ultimately a better looking version of the original with QoL improvements feels like a waste to me. The people at Square also don't do half-measures when it comes to their big mainline titles. They could have gotten away with a smaller-scale remake for FFVII but instead it's basically taking the place of FFXVI (for now).

As for it's combat it's clearly influenced by it's Director - Nomura. The games he directs are primarily action RPGs (Kingdom Hearts, Versus XIII/FFXV) so it's not surprising that he's taken the remake in this direction. It also makes sense since the previous mainline game FFXV was also an action game.

I get people's frustrations, I remember the threads when the action combat was first unveiled in 2015. Turn Based Combat isn't dead and it isn't kryptonite for mainstream success either. You have perfectly good turn based games like Persona, Dragon Quest and even the recent World of Final Fantasy. It's unfortunate that they didn't decide to go in that direction but I am personally cool with it. I trust them to make a great game that brings FFVII to a new generation and us older fans. In the end the original is easily available for people and that won't change.

I'd like to quote the end of the reveal trailer since funnily enough it actually kinda fits the discussion.

"The reunion at hand may bring joy, it may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings. For they are coming back."

WolvenOne

Yet KH2 is considered one of the greatest ARPGs of all time. I have no reason to worry about the combat with a game directed by this man.

I do not share your confidence or your high opinion of Kingdom Hearts 2. Honestly, while the second game improved on the gameplay somewhat, I thought the first game was the overall better title.

BreakAtmo

Personally I like that they're changing Final Fantasy VII with this remake. A remake that is ultimately a better looking version of the original with QoL improvements feels like a waste to me. The people at Square also don't do half-measures when it comes to their big mainline titles. They could have gotten away with a smaller-scale remake for FFVII but instead it's basically taking the place of FFXVI (for now).

As for it's combat it's clearly influenced by it's Director - Nomura. The games he directs are primarily action RPGs (Kingdom Hearts, Versus XIII/FFXV) so it's not surprising that he's taken the remake in this direction. It also makes sense since the previous mainline game FFXV was also an action game.

I get people's frustrations, I remember the threads when the action combat was first unveiled in 2015. Turn Based Combat isn't dead and it isn't kryptonite for mainstream success either. You have perfectly good turn based games like Persona, Dragon Quest and even the recent World of Final Fantasy. It's unfortunate that they didn't decide to go in that direction but I am personally cool with it. I trust them to make a great game that brings FFVII to a new generation and us older fans. In the end the original is easily available for people and that won't change.

I'd like to quote the end of the reveal trailer since funnily enough it actually kinda fits the discussion.

"The reunion at hand may bring joy, it may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings. For they are coming back."

Agreed. And I'm 100% sure that line's meta meaning was very, very intentional.

Deja

I don't like that decision but accept it. It won't change but I'm okay with potentially missing out on this. Don't generalize.

Zen - Fair mate, what I wanted is something along the lines of how Resident Evil changed from the PSX version to the REmake. Quality of life improvements, with better visuals and some potential story stuff added in, to add to the lore and such (like they're doing with the AVALANCHE members). I guess I'm just not the target audience for this game.

That being said : I'll probably still buy this to try it out, once the whole packaged is physically released in one set (so 2027?). I also don't have an issue with action combat as a whole. I feel like I need to add that. Just in FF, it's not for me.

ZenTzen

I don't like that decision but accept it. It won't change but I'm okay with missing out on this. Don't generalize.

Zen - Fair mate, what I wanted is something along the lines of how Resident Evil changed from the PSX version to the REmake. Quality of life improvements, with better visuals and some potential story stuff added in, to add to the lore and such (like they're doing with the AVALANCHE members). I guess I'm just not the target audience for this game.
You can be, its just a matter of giving it a chance, and let them show you whst they are doing with it

I really hope they show more of this game at e3

The Dude

You can be, its just a matter of giving it a chance, and let them show you whst they are doing with it

For me it's not that I won't buy it, play it and enjoy it. But I still deep down find it silly when we have real time combat coming out of our assholes in gaming, there's just no need for it.

For people who were there day 1, there's sentimental feeling... I would love to experience that simply with prettier up to date graphics. I'm a fan of turn based game and have been since the mid 80s, so I put emphasis on it. Playing it as an action game just seems pointless to me no matter what anyone says. I'll play it regardless.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

"Nintendo wanted to make a hybrid console. The end." is certainly not going to stop people from debating Switch, so why would it here?
My umbrage is the overarching tone of certain posters insisting that no "true" fan would be accepting of this decision which is complete nonsense and other posters asserting that Square was forced into making VII an ARPG for whatever reason.

Simply put it's a remake, not a remaster and Nomura has said more than once he has a lot of different ideas in mind and that it's not going to be the same game, but that it will carry the "spirit" of the original. His intent is to create something similar, but different and he wouldn't have accepted this position if he was going to be in charge of a simple remaster.

Now you can say that they could come up with a new updated turn-based system, but then I would argue that it alters the intent of the original as well. That is if one were to get so caught up in the integrity of it and correct me if I'm wrong, but Nomura hasn't produced any turn-based rpgs. He's been plugging away on action rpgs for quite some time. I don't know why anyone would be comfortable with the idea of him choosing to make Square's biggest hit in the franchise his first turn-based RPG. I certainly wouldn't as that brings in risks of its own. So I say let the man play to his strengths.

Although I'm not saying people can't be upset about it, but it should be something of a consistent note that when somebody says "It's not FFVII if" well it isn't, it's FFVII: Remake and it's a different game with its own continuity*. Treat it like the Marvel and DC multiverse if you must.

which means and was confirmed to exist outside of the compilation, thank god

Deja

Absolutely. I will still be keeping a close eye on this, and I do need to make sure I don't turn into one of those dudes that just posts their negative thoughts and nothing else.

I think the art direction looks fantastic, and that music when they were showing the beginning section trailer really had my nostalgia going. The design of Barret is also beyond kickass.

DirtyCase

Its not that i'm happy or sad to see it go, its that i dont care if i control stationary characters or fully controllable ones in its combat system, i think theres other systems that i cared more than that in the original, and frankly, whats been shown of the battles in the remake looks awesome to me

This statement here perfectly captures my feelings regarding the remake.

For me personally there are a bunch of reasons that bring me back every so often to play this 20 year old game, and at this point the tbc is not one of them.

As long as the final game has a combat menu for various action in it I will actually like having more control over the party for basic attacks, that is assuming they don't gut and redo the combat system from what we've seen.
There are reasons to believe that FF7 remake combat will not be the same as ff 15, and thank god for that. Sure they are both action based, but FF7 remake has shown a menu, showed switching characters, it doesn't have warping, and will very likely have materia.

I'm not bent on trying to convince people this won't be trash, I just feel its a little early to be writing something off. If for whatever reason a person only exclusively plays turned based games, then by all means skip this game.
I personally enjoy a wide variety of games, game mechanics, and genres and will definitely wait and see before I start believing this game will either be the greatest or pure trash.

I'm just happy that this game is being revisited and with the remake being worked on by several main people involved with the original, and if the worst case scenario is it turns out shit, well then I can either play some other new game that interests me or go back and revisit one of my favourite rps of all time in the original FF7 like I have been doing over the last 20 years.

AgeEighty

My umbrage is the overarching tone of certain posters insisting that no "true" fan would be accepting of this decision which is complete nonsense and other posters asserting that Square was forced into making VII an ARPG for whatever reason.

Simply put it's a remake, not a remaster and Nomura has said more than once he has a lot of different ideas in mind and that it's not going to be the same game, but that it will carry the "spirit" of the original. His intent is to create something similar, but different and he wouldn't have accepted this position if he was going to be in charge of a simple remaster.

Now you can say that they could come up with a new updated turn-based system, but then I would argue that it alters the intent of the original as well. That is if one were to get so caught up in the integrity of it and correct me if I'm wrong, but Nomura hasn't produced any turn-based rpgs. He's been plugging away on action rpgs for quite some time. I don't know why anyone would be comfortable with the idea of him choosing to make Square's biggest hit in the franchise his first turn-based RPG. I certainly wouldn't as that brings in risks of its own. So I say let the man play to his strengths.

Although I'm not saying people can't be upset about it, but it should be something of a consistent note that when somebody says "It's not FFVII if" well it isn't, it's FFVII: Remake and it's a different game with its own continuity*. Treat it like the Marvel and DC multiverse if you must.

which means and was confirmed to exist outside of the compilation, thank god

People throw the term "remake" out there as if it has a hard and fast definition that means, by default, "changing everything about the game but the story and characters". I've seen plenty of remakes that don't alter the original game system this radically, so I don't know why it is treated as an inevitability that this one would.

I haven't seen anyone here calling anyone out for not being "true fans" or whatever, only expressing their own views and expressing dismay that this is the direction people seem to want JRPGs to go (making them more similar to other types of games which we already have plenty of to choose from).

What seems odd to me about the acceptance of this move is that Nomura's battle systems in more modern FF titles are generally just not that great, so the welcoming of one of them to this game puzzles me.

Kazuhira

Nothing against arpg,it has its pros and cons just like everything.
It's just that i already have Type0,XV and KH3(in a distant future) for that.
Just a little of gameplay diversity is all wanted,i don't consider turn based combat outdated by any means.
13-2 was turn-based and i didn't find it boring,janky or whatever,any system is viable as long as you have the creativity to pull it off.
Oh well,at least i have P5 and DQ11 to fill that void.

Lnds500

What seems odd to me about the acceptance of this move is that Nomura's battle systems in more modern FF titles are generally just not that great, so the welcoming of one of them to this game puzzles me.

???

What are you talking about? Nomura was responsible for 1 FF game and that was taken from him and changed drastically.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
People throw the term "remake" out there as if it has a hard and fast definition that means, by default, "changing everything about the game but the story and characters". I've seen plenty of remakes that don't alter the original game system this radically, so I don't know why it is treated as an inevitability that this one would.
Well again the director of the project has stated his intent pretty clearly and it's not like we're using the word wrong I also felt I was pretty clear on why Nomura would make an ARPG considering his pedigree.
I haven't seen anyone here calling anyone out for not being "true fans" or whatever, only expressing their own views and expressing dismay that this is the direction people seem to want JRPGs to go (making them more similar to other types of games which we already have plenty of to choose from).
I'll admit they were a few in a sea of posts, but they were sure quoted a lot (full disclosure I was skimming):
Square doesn't really give a shit about their longtime fans anymore so this isn't a surprise.

I'll still try it, but XV is looking less like the first FF I haven't purchased since SNES and more like a hard breaking point from the series for me.
But that is fine... not everybody needs to like the same things... there are different games with different genre for everybody.

Now you get a game with a huge fan base that expect years to play the game with more modens graphic appeal and says to them they will change the genre of the game that they loved.

Looks to me like give the middle finger to fans... that is what SE did.
Fuck. Nomura.
Fuck. Modern FF.
Fuck action based FF.

Hasn't been good since turn based games. Thanks Squenix for shitting in the mouth of the cheering fans who've waited for over a decade for FF7 to be remade. The ones who were around for it are the ones who wanted it back. All we wanted was an HD remake not a complete redo with all the actual gameplay fucking replaced. But hey lets put an FF7 branding on the next Nomura pile and see if folks start to like him then.
I just find it hard to believe that anyone who was a day 1 FF7 fan would be fine with such a huge change. People are sticklers for keeping things original, I mean people freak the fuck out over who shot first in star wars... Because they're passionate about the original. I don't get why gamers are sometimes so easy to just accept such massive changes.

Yea like someone said let's get a dark souls 1 remake and change it to turn based combat.
What games are you talking about?

Tonyx

I am really curious to know more about it.

Potentially could be a lot of fun (after all it was the story and not the combat that made FFVII great)... or not!

adz2ka

The comments from Nomura slightly worry me regarding how far they've got with this.
There are something like 50 bosses in the original game, yet he feels the need to highlight the 'flashy' Guard Scorpion battle, which is practically the first hour of the game.

I'll take it with a pinch of salt though, as I'm fully aware there will be drastic changes to Midgar if they propose on the Midgar set piece as part 1

The comments from Nomura slightly worry me regarding how far they've got with this.
There are something like 50 bosses in the original game, yet he feels the need to highlight the 'flashy' Guard Scorpion battle, which is practically the first hour of the game.

I'll take it with a pinch of salt though, as I'm fully aware there will be drastic changes to Midgar if they propose on the Midgar set piece as part 1

My understanding is that game development isn't linear either so they work on stuff from all sections of the game. This is why their statements about "brushing up the area from the reveal trailer" doesn't worry me in the slightest.

JimiNutz

Banned
I played the original FFVII for about 5 hours when it originally came out and hated the combat so much that I traded the game in shortly after and never came back.

Changing the combat system is a smart move. The people that originally loved the game will buy this remake but they may also attract new players, like me.

ZenTzen

Do you want him to spoil how every boss in the game plays, besides, Guard Scorpion is a pretty iconic FF7 boss fight

My understanding is that game development isn't linear either so they work on stuff from all sections of the game. This is why their statements about "brushing up the area from the reveal trailer" doesn't worry me in the slightest.
Their statement on the VA work already being finished implies that the first part is also further along than we think

So how are they going to handle, like, Fire materia on its own vs. being connected to an All materia?

We still gonna find that first chocobo summon materia by the stables? Still gonna be an Enemy Skill materia in the tank after freeing Red XIII?

Extended sequences of running around solving puzzles on various floors of the Shinra building?

So how are they going to handle, like, Fire materia on its own vs. being connected to an All materia?

We still gonna find that first chocobo summon materia by the stables? Still gonna be an Enemy Skill materia in the tank after freeing Red XIII?

Extended sequences of running around solving puzzles on various floors of the Shinra building?

I just hope that they don't do materia like they did magic in FFXV. While it was nice to mix and match, I did not like how it was implemented.

I don't mind action games but it shouldn't be FF7. You don't get full control of the party so it's going to feel like a step backwards. The Lufia 2 remake on the DS is a good illustration of this.

RedZaraki

Banned
Anyone claiming that action combat is "is never good" - it's just as easy for me to say "turn-based combat is never good".

It's a close-minded, stupid, stance to take.

Wait until the game is out and you've played it before you call the combat trash. Sheesh.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It's pointless to even muster a reaction, as this game will never be released. Not with Nomura being the main lead.

I don't mind action games but it shouldn't be FF7. You don't get full control of the party so it's going to feel like a step backwards. The Lufia 2 remake on the DS is a good illustration of this.

But they said you can swap characters mid combat...

Edit: One day I kinda wish someone spilled the beans on whether v13, KH3 and FF7r were ever hindered by SE mismanaging or more Nomura related things. I know he's helped out on a few titles that no one seems to mention because it doesn't fit the narrative but it's so bizzare that comparatively big budget titles he is put in charge of seem to...not go through development hell, per se, but have a dramatic protracted saga...it's not like they need to go all ATR on us and do monthly updates but KH3 was announced 4 years ago...7r 2 years ago etc...

Whompa02

you can switch characters freely mid-fight

for now lol. Wait until its an actual game and not a mashup of FFXV animations and some closed off quick cuts of "gameplay" before anything is confirmed.

It's pointless to even muster a reaction, as this game will never be released. Not with Nomura being the main lead.

exactly where I'm at right now...it's just a, "oh hey that looks cool" but I can't get hyped yet.

But they said you can swap characters mid combat...

Swapping characters =/= having full control of every party action. Unless it's basically "real-time with pause" in games like KOTOR and Pillars of Eternity, where every action takes some time to execute and when a character completes an action, the game pauses and lets you choose their next action.

As an action game though, it's not likely this is a case, as RTWP is still an RPG at its core with a queue of actions going off, not a Kingdom Hearts-esque thing. You WILL see AI taking over for party members at times.

Whether or not this is good or bad is debatable, but you seem to think your post contradicts the other one, when it doesn't. Swapping in an action game isn't the same as full party control.

Twookie

Anyone claiming that action combat is "is never good" - it's just as easy for me to say "turn-based combat is never good".

It's a close-minded, stupid, stance to take.

Wait until the game is out and you've played it before you call the combat trash. Sheesh.

some posters here seem to already have made up their opinion on the game, no use arguing with these people.

people just need to deal with the fact that the game is going action based

Swapping characters =/= having full control of every party action. Unless it's basically "real-time with pause" in games like KOTOR and Pillars of Eternity, where every action takes some time to execute and when a character completes an action, the game pauses and lets you choose their next action.

As an action game though, it's not likely this is a case, as RTWP is still an RPG at its core with a queue of actions going off, not a Kingdom Hearts-esque thing. You WILL see AI taking over for party members at times.

Whether or not this is good or bad is debatable, but you seem to think your post contradicts the other one, when it doesn't. Swapping in an action game isn't the same as full party control.

The poster asked if you can control any characte or if it's limited to Cloud a la FFXV, they said nothing about full control of every party action.

The poster asked if you can control any characte or if it's limited to Cloud a la FFXV, they said nothing about full control of every party action.

Nope, you're looking at the wrong post.

This person gets it. Turning FF7 into an action game is just going to take away customisation and play style options since you will only get to control one party member at a time. I bet most people will probably just use just Cloud for most of the game anyway which is going to make the other characters way less influential compared to if it had been a command based game.

djnewwest

Banned
They really should have tried to reinvent or modify the turn based battle system for the remake. More depth, tactics and challenge.

This is not FF7, more like a FF7 spinoff action game.

hemtaro

Neo Member

As long as its not like ffxv where i hold one button to spam attacks and another button hold to auto evade....even a blind guy can beat that game

Top Bottom