• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII OST is possibly the greatest work ever by a video game composer

Sakujou

Banned
i think ff9 is far better than 7. i also love 8.

i think nintendo is far more iconic as well as catchy since the 80ies.

lately iam more into some stuff like the street fighter chiptuned collection which is pretty bad ass. but if its not something electronic or drum n bass, iam pretty much into ff music. the rearrange symphony stuff is simply jaw-droppingly good.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Over the last couple weeks, spurned by Theatrhythm and some SQ remix albums, I've been re-listening to a lot of FFVIII music, and man I might agree with some of the OP's sentiment. Force Your Way might be the best battle theme in the whole of Final Fantasy.

wmlk

There's not one track on Chrono Cross' OST that I would call bad. FFVIII's problem is that it doesn't sound distinct from its other entries; it doesn't have its own sound like what Mitsuda creates in each of the games he does.

There's not one track on Chrono Cross' OST that I would call bad. FFVIII's problem is that it doesn't sound distinct from its other entries; it doesn't have its own sound like what Mitsuda creates in each of the games he does.

Agreed. The music also speaks volumes in its ability to create mood landscapes - regardless if you've played the game, nearly every track evokes a feeling similar to what you experience at that moment in the game.

It's uncanny.

wmlk

Agreed. The music also speaks volumes in its ability to create mood landscapes - regardless if you've played the game, nearly every track evokes a feeling similar to what you experience at that moment in the game.

It's uncanny.

I still say that Chrono Cross is the most atmospheric game I've ever played. You wouldn't get that looking at the game, but the landscapes combined with the music is incredible.

I mean, just listen to how Dragon's Prayer progresses on and loops (from 2:25). It's foreboding and totally fitting at that point in the game. I think Uematsu makes great music, but Mitsuda can combine the most ambient of sounds to create something incredible.

Shahed

While not my favourite Final Fantasy game by any means, the OST is the best in the series. So many awesome tracks. Only VI and maybe X come relatively close.

But no. I'd rank the likes of Chrono Cross far beyond anything. Xenogears is better as well

K.Sabot

The Man With the Machine Gun is the only thing I remember from playing it in the last couple years, the ost was inoffensive in my memory but nothing more than that.

Oh and the beginning of the boss theme.

Eblo

Trust Me is my single favorite track from Final Fantasy VIII. Every scene it appears in captures the mentality of hope and that things are going to be alright.

It isn't the full package for me. There just aren't enough songs there that get to me.

Balamb Garden is top tier Uematsu.

Breezy is a little simple but the strong melody wins out. I like it.

Liberi Fatali actually pretty kick ass.

Blue Fields is pretty good.

Fisherman's Horizon is okay to good.

I don't care for the rest. Of these, I would only go back to Balamb Garden, Breezy and maybe Blue Fields for repeat listens. For comparison, FFX has 2 or 3. FFVII has maybe a good dozen. I'm such a party pooper, I should just talk about how godly Balamb Garden is. Because it is.

Ganondorfo

I still say that Chrono Cross is the most atmospheric game I've ever played. You wouldn't get that looking at the game, but the landscapes combined with the music is incredible.

I mean, just listen to how Dragon's Prayer progresses on and loops (from 2:25). It's foreboding and totally fitting at that point in the game. I think Uematsu makes great music, but Mitsuda can combine the most ambient of sounds to create something incredible.

Uematsu did the same in the style of Dragons Prayer with this track, forebooding and building up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ag12LOE53c

Compression of Time.

orioto

Good Art™
Oh ok.. I mean FFVIII has its big moments and was the first FF with big orchestra stuff and all, but.. FFVI you know..

FFVI is far more than the best videogame soundtrack ever.. It probably reaches music history rankings.

Tenebrous

Oh ok.. I mean FFVIII has its big moments and was the first FF with big orchestra stuff and all, but.. FFVI you know..

FFVI is far more than the best videogame soundtrack ever.. It probably reaches music history rankings.

Possibly my favourite game of all time, but lets not get crazy now.

orioto

Good Art™
Possibly my favourite game of all time, but lets not get crazy now.

And why not. is your hobby not worthy of classical music cause it's a kiddy thing ? FFVI certainly goes pretty far in term of leitmotiv use, thematic composition.. it doesn't have that much equivalent.

Tenebrous

And why not. is your hobby not worthy of classical music cause it's a kiddy thing ? FFVI certainly goes pretty far in term of leitmotiv use, thematic composition.. it doesn't have that much equivalent.

Not at all. I'm a firm believer in VGM, and consider it an under-appreciated art form... But what are you ranking it against, exactly? Film composers? Classical composers?

orioto

Good Art™
Not at all. I'm a firm believer in VGM, and consider it an under-appreciated art form... But what are you ranking it against, exactly? Film composers? Classical composers?

Let's say, from my small musical knowledge, FFVI track being inspired by Wagner (Leitmotic for each character etc..), it goes pretty far in that particular thing. The number of characters with super strong themes, the way some of those themes are linked together, and that without counting the location musics. And the whole tone of everything. It's truly incredible.

Of course any real classical music destroys it in term of technique, orchestration etc.. I'm speaking pure thematic composition here. Creating a wide set of melodies that tells a story. I firmly believe FFVI reach some kind of peak in that art form. Just the ending medley is some sort of unique thing in musical history i think, just that..

wmlk

Uematsu did the same in the style of Dragons Prayer with this track, forebooding and building up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ag12LOE53c

Compression of Time.

I don't think this is exactly foreboding. It certainly doesn't suggest that something bad will happen or have an evil aura about it.

The post I was responding to was talking about how you don't need the game to understand the feel of Mitsuda's music and it's true. Dragon's Tower tells sets the tone without needing the in-game context.

It's just something that Uematsu doesn't really excel at in my opinion. Never has.

Mitsuda has a lot of tracks that don't need the in-game context to set the tone.

Terra Tower
Jellyfish Sea
Ephemeral Memory

Tenebrous

Let's say, from my small musical knowledge, FFVI track being inspired by Wagner (Leitmotic for each character etc..), it goes pretty far in that particular thing. The number of characters with super strong themes, the way some of those themes are linked together, and that without counting the location musics. And the whole tone of everything. It's truly incredible.

Of course any real classical music destroys it in term of technique, orchestration etc.. I'm speaking pure thematic composition here. Creating a wide set of melodies that tells a story. I firmly believe FFVI reach some kind of peak in that art form.

Ahh, alright.

Hmm... Celes' theme proves your point. I cannot think of a more perfectly matched theme for a character in any form of media.

Are you talking about FF8 or CT? FF8 is the one with the shitty theme. CT has one of the best.

Both, but especially CT. I really can't stand the synth sounds.

Ganondorfo

I don't think this is exactly foreboding. It certainly doesn't suggest that something bad will happen or have an evil aura about it.

The post I was responding to was talking about how you don't need the game to understand the feel of Mitsuda's music and it's true. Dragon's Tower tells sets the tone without needing the in-game context.

It's just something that Uematsu doesn't really excel at in my opinion. Never has.

Mitsuda has a lot of tracks that don't need the in-game context to set the tone.

Terra Tower
Jellyfish Sea
Ephemeral Memory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8kLkgsSpi4

What about this one from FFVII, this one also captures immediately the depressing mood of the location and the situation of the characters.

orioto

Good Art™
Ahh, alright.

Hmm... Celes' theme proves your point. I cannot think of a more perfectly matched theme for a character in any form of media.

Both, but especially CT. I really can't stand the synth sounds.

_Celes Theme, being also the opera theme
_Locke Theme being fucking epic, and transposed to become one of the most beautiful love song ever, Rachel theme.
_Same for Setzer theme being so catchy and perfect, becoming Daryl heart breaking song.
_Tina theme of course, i mean.. that alone..
_Figaro theme used in cult coin song music
_Strago theme, Shadow theme, Cyan theme, Kefka, Relm, Gau..
_Locations ? Mystic Forest ? Mistery Train ? Kid's run through the city corner ? Narshe ?

The unique cumulation of god tier melodies.. the incredible cleverness of their associations + 20 minutes opera piece (with Celes and Ultros theme in it) + 20 minutes ending with incredible medley and onf of the most epic things i've heard in my life after that..

There is just too much in FFVI.
It probably killed Uematsu inside.

And see, the amazingness of FFVI is that even by listing everthing i could like that i forgot Searching for Friend which is in itself some kind of musical orgasm. Being stuck for hours, no characters anymore, no transportation vehicle, then when you're suddenly free.. yo hear Searchig for Friends.. I have no words.

I played 8 before 6 or 7, so i might be biased. That said, 8 has the best music in my opinion. I remember loving the song that played when Edea was on screen back in middle school.

I liked IX soundtrack better.

I told Uematsu in person that IX was my favorite. He started laughing and said out loud "this guy gets it!". Then we high-fived and he wrote me a cheque for exactly nine dollars.

Note: Only one of the above sentences is true.

Timeaisis

As much shit as I give VIII for being a meh FF game, it does have a great soundtrack. The Man with the Machine Gun is incredible. The piano stuff is great, and all the character themes are great.

IX still has the best soundtrack, though.

I told Uematsu in person that IX was my favorite. He started laughing and said out loud "this guy gets it!". Then we high-fived and he wrote me a cheque for exactly nine dollars.

Note: Only one of the above sentences is true.

The cheque part, right?

CentroXer

Banned
I think the stage is set is actually my favorite piece. It builds the tension into something big, and you wont forget that Irvine is planning to assassinate the sorcerer.

Just finished FFVIII for the first time last night and I would definitely have to agree with OP.

This OST is BRILLIANT. It is the first OST for a video game I've ever actually purchased.

Top Bottom