• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII OST is possibly the greatest work ever by a video game composer

Falk

that puzzling face
I think one thing that FFVII is sorely missing is a comfy, homely town theme like Fisherman's Horizon or Dali that the other two PS1 FFs had.

Kalm (Ahead on Our Way) comes close, and it's part of his tradition for making one of these in every Final Fantasy, but Fisherman's Horizon probably was the pinnacle of that style.

edit:
Um, did you forget Ahead on Our Way?
beaten lolo

I'm not a musician so I don't have an ear for these things, but that motif is all over the place in Uematsu's work (including FF8).

Really? Where is in FF8, or anywhere else? Genuinely interested

I don't think it's so much an intentional motif (there's no connection between the two in terms of context) than either a stylistic easter egg or completely unintentional, really. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaFzvQQFCrc#t=20s

I think it's far more intentional that Julia's theme/Eyes on Me is an amalgam of love themes and leading lady themes from previous games.

Sephiros

Neo Member
I agree, this is my go to soundtrack when I need to relax.

I even started playing guitar because of tracks like Balamb Garden, Fisherman's Horizon and Breezy.

Other soundtracks that I enjoy on the same level are Chrono Cross's and another masterpiece from Uematsu, Final Fantasy VII. Songs like Jenova have so much energy, they get me pumped!

It's not my favorite but it for sure has some of my all time favorite tracks from the series and overall it is truly Exceptionally good ost. I really can't say anything negative and can't even fault you for considering it the best of all time cause it's just that good.

jb1234

I think it's far more intentional that Julia's theme/Eyes on Me is an amalgam of love themes and leading lady themes from previous games.

Whoa. Now that I think about it, he does stick pieces of Terra's theme in Eyes on Me. I'll have to listen to it more to see if I can pick out any more.

I like FFVIII's soundtrack a great deal but I still think FFVI trumps it in complexity. It's just so thematically dense. I always feel like I'm discovering something new whenever I listen to it.

wmlk

Um, did you forget Ahead on Our Way?

Kalm (Ahead on Our Way) comes close, and it's part of his tradition for making one of these in every Final Fantasy, but Fisherman's Horizon probably was the pinnacle of that style.

Holy shit, how could I forget? That's my favourite of the three.

I'm definitely gonna to miss that kind of composition for FFXV with it having towns and all. Uematsu brings it close to home.

Falk

that puzzling face
Holy shit, how could I forget? That's my favourite of the three.

LOL

I prefer Fisherman's Horizon

Whoa. Now that I think about it, he does stick pieces of Terra's theme in Eyes on Me. I'll have to listen to it more to see if I can pick out any more.

Posting only url and hopefully you're not on mobile so it doesn't autoembed and spoil lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhAnxWSQoKo#t=45s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbOqcR-BORo#t=1m21

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
IX has some really wonderful pieces as well. I could never decide or proclaim for any of those pre-FFX OSTs to be better than one another.

Mr. RHC

LOL

I prefer Fisherman's Horizon

Posting only url and hopefully you're not on mobile so it doesn't autoembed and spoil lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhAnxWSQoKo#t=45s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbOqcR-BORo#t=1m21

tumblr_mc3on7Phdm1rjpxgso1_250.gif

ZLhto.gif

???????.jpg

Sounds like a callback to the Final Battle theme of FFIX to me. Same hardy rock progish style with piercing synth leads and even the same "spooky voices from hell" kind of intro. When I first heard it in the game I couldn't help grinning at how dumb fun it was. Fits well with the stupid final boss reveal out of nowhere.

(And if you're interested, DukeLongfellow, the more serious final boss music is actually Patina of the King, though it's still in line with that weird orchestral/electronic music mix he uses for a lot of the soundtrack)

Honestly, I felt Necron Battle had a lot more structure than this. I'm not a stranger to prog rock but that piercing, phase synth didn't lie well with me. But that's just by listening it on its own, I don't have any game footage or experience in its intended form and that probably makes all the difference. I am going to listen to the soundtrack a bit more after liking the track you posted so thank you regardless. :)

FFVIII's Piano Collection is probably my favorite.

Eyes On Me, and Fisherman's Horizon are stunning. I need to find FH's Sheet music... And a new piano...

My mother really enjoyed hearing me play Eyes On Me. My grandmother preferred To Zanarkand when I would play it for her. I enjoyed playing Eyes On Me more though.

Many of FFVIII's tracks just work well on piano, Ami. I don't know if there is a Piano Collection version of The Extreme but this does it justice.

This guy used the Shadow Clone Jutsu just to play The Extreme.

bounchfx

I always had a sweet spot for a lot of the fourth disc.

Ride on
Lunatic Pandora
The Castle,
Maybe I'm a Lion
The Extreme
The successor

fuck pretty much the entire last disc. the only thing that kills it is the chocobo theme, which while I like it, it's very out of place here

Meowster

Eyes On Me, and Fisherman's Horizon are stunning. I need to find FH's Sheet music... And a new piano...

My mother really enjoyed hearing me play Eyes On Me. My grandmother preferred To Zanarkand when I would play it for her. I enjoyed playing Eyes On Me more though.

Many of FFVIII's tracks just work well on piano, Ami. I don't know if there is a Piano Collection version of The Extreme but this does it justice.
The Castle on piano is something special. Back when I used to play Oblivion constantly, I would mod it so that would play whenever I entered a dungeon or cave. So chilly but well put together. But the original track from the OST is pretty amazing on it's own and kinda overlooked. Love all of the baroque themes to the music in VIII. A lot of European stylings from the music to the architecture.

The Castle on piano is something special. Back when I used to play Oblivion constantly, I would mod it so that would play whenever I entered a dungeon or cave. So chilly but well put together. But the original track from the OST is pretty amazing on it's own and kinda overlooked. Love all of the baroque themes to the music in VIII. A lot of European stylings from the music to the architecture.

Now that's one of the best Oblivion mod's I've ever heard of.

Well said, the baroque style and European influence in FFVIII made it's OST stand out in my opinion. It helped infuse a sense of fantasy in the more modern aesthetic of FFVIII's world. I love ALL of the PS1 Era FF OSTs, but something about FFVIII's was unique. Captivating in it's own way. I felt like FFIX edges it out in the OST department, by just a little bit.

I always come back to FFVIII's OST though.

I remember reading this post and fawning over your piano skillz. Grandma was right, I should have practiced more. Then again I was never good at transcribing, let alone sight reading... Seeing how accurate you were is incredible.

Falk

that puzzling face
(I love this piece, in all its arrangements. For a while, I was performing it publicly in almost every recital.)

Did you ever get asked where the arrangement of Sukiyaki came from? Because I did a couple of times (lol)

jb1234

Did you ever get asked where the arrangement of Sukiyaki came from? Because I did a couple of times (lol)

HAHAHA. Nah. But I did a lot of retirement home gigs where the people tended to have very little knowledge of Japanese culture. They just thought the tune was pretty (and it is).

HAHAHA. Nah. But I did a lot of retirement home gigs where the people tended to have very little knowledge of Japanese culture. They just thought the tune was pretty (and it is).

Every time I play a Final Fantasy song for family, friends, or strangers they think it's some kind of beautiful classical piece. Then I tell them it's from video games I play.

It's usually people my age or younger who recognize what I play and just smile knowing where it's from.

jb1234

Every time I play a Final Fantasy song for family, friends, or strangers they think it's some kind of beautiful classical piece. Then I tell them it's from video games I play.

It's usually people my age or younger who recognize what I play and just smile knowing where it's from.

Yeah, it's funny. You can actually see in real-time when people's expressions go from, "Oh, is this Brahms" to "Oh, it's *just* from a video game."

No Love

Banned
Greatest for me for sure. I first played the game on 9-9-1999 and 17 years later I still remember every one of those songs. Phenomenal music.

neoism

old thread its great but not my fav FF score...i loooooved ff12s score,

the best ost from a game ever is chrono cross...

Blablurn

The Balamb theme is so good.

I'm a huge FF7 fanboy but I'm also kinda sad about the fact that VIII never really came back except maybe in theatrythm. i wouldn't mind some kind of sequel, remake or whatsoever.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think the only thing wrong with VIII's OST is that it introduces you to the game with Balamb Garden, which is almost impossible to top. Although it comes close at several times.

VIII is one of my least favorite modern FFs, but its soundtrack is on another level entirely.

Jennipeg

I always had a sweet spot for a lot of the fourth disc.

Ride on
Lunatic Pandora
The Castle,
Maybe I'm a Lion
The Extreme
The successor

fuck pretty much the entire last disc. the only thing that kills it is the chocobo theme, which while I like it, it's very out of place here

Yes, Maybe I'm a Lion is my favourite final boss music. The whole OST is a masterpiece, I think the tracks you mention are underrated compared to the music of VII and X.

I love The Oath, and Drifting, such emotional tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr4eB0WOwN0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nYmBj8PWbM

I really wish they would play them at Distant Worlds or something.

There's also Piano collections for FF7/8/9.

Plus Orchestra versions for 7, I don't think for 8 or 9 though. But there is an OST Plus collection for IX that also includes a ton of small tracks missing from the OST proper.

And of course Black Mages albums have a few tracks redone from all of the above.

This guy used the Shadow Clone Jutsu just to play The Extreme.

I really like the Slideshow Part 1 (or 2 i forget), such a funny and cute track on the Piano collections :)
There are actually Piano Collections for all numbered FFs from IV to XIII, including X-2.
Yea I was just talking about the PS1 era stuff.

Top Bottom