• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 dated for December 2011 in JP, FFXIII PS3 gets easy mode patch

Tizoc

Wait an Easy mode? The game isn't even that hard if you know what you're doing.
Then again...Easy mode might help in platinuming this thing...
Just gimme an item that'll convert CP into Gil I've already got 999999 CP =/

Astery

Kagari said:
Makes it so the enemies drop items easier, plus battles are easier to win.
thanks kagari.
FF13 is pretty easy as it is unless you take on the giant turtle things, which my party just dies after 2 or 3 rounds, and I have no intention to take on them lol. They should really NOT make it a lost battle when only the character you controlling dies, that's cheap. I would of prefer a fix to this rather than a easy mode. Well, not like it matters anymore as I swear I will not touch 13 ever again. I just hope they fix this for 13-2.

RaGe_pt

I won't be buying this. FF 13 was a big disappointment to me and I don't think I'll have the will to play this one.

Diablos

I'm cautiously optimistic. Battle system screams rehash with some new frills added to keep it fresh. I really enjoyed the battle system, though. It was the meat and potatoes of FFXIII so I'm glad they're only expanding on it, not totally axing it.

Based on what little has been observed thus far, it seems like there is more of an emphasis on the game not being a straight line. If there's more exploration and things to do instead of going from A->B with fun fast paced battles in every area, this could be even better than FFXIII, but it's way too early to make such an assumption. However, for such an early look at the game, I seem to think they're trying to make that impression.

And, to me, that's what will make or break XIII-2. I would hope they paid attention to what a lot of the most diehard fans said about the pacing and structure of the game. Despite my appreciation for FFXIII, when you look at the finished product there was no need for it to have taken as long as it did. I thought it could've come out in 2008; the wait didn't seem to justify the way the game was structured. The sequel has to be better than XIII in how you make your way through. The same thing copied and pasted into a new game won't cut it, not even for someone like me who actually enjoyed XIII.

They have to make it less linear. Towns would be nice as well, but at the very least, make the areas less linear and have some kind of depth to them.

Kagari said:
Makes it so the enemies drop items easier, plus battles are easier to win.
Yup. And (if I recall correctly) even the Hard Mode got the benefit of the AI changes - Commandos would actually gang up on enemies instead of fanning out to attack different ones, and Haste/Slow got better priority since they make such a big difference. Hopefully those AI changes will get patched through to the US version as well (not like I'll ever play it again, but still).

Still sitting on my FF13 file waiting for this patch to hit.

Higher drop-rates tied to the easier difficulty setting though? S-E has it backwards.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Still sitting on my FF13 file waiting for this patch to hit.

Higher drop-rates tied to the easier difficulty setting though? S-E has it backwards.
You can switch the difficulty at any point; 'easy difficulty' is basically code for 'Adamantoise grind mode.'

Crazetex

W - why are you all freaking out about an optional mode the game has? If you don't want to use it, don't... use... it?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I never used the Highwind skill (didn't realize it broke the game until I finished it) I actually found FFXIII to be harder than any of the PS1 or PS2 games.

badcrumble said:
You can switch the difficulty at any point; 'easy difficulty' is basically code for 'Adamantoise grind mode.'

Awesome. That was my biggest worry about the mode.

I'm actually caught up on my reviews so I guess I'll start hacking away at this game again.

Zoe

truly101 said:
I never used the Highwind skill (didn't realize it broke the game until I finished it) I actually found FFXIII to be harder than any of the PS1 or PS2 games.

I had never died so much in any other FF. The later missions were also very difficult.

Easy-mode? Sounds good.

Good idea for my replay just prior to FFXIII-2. I was dreading having to play the last chapter again.

Still no excuse for S-E not having a simultaneous release. I mean, the dialogue and subs are already being done in English, for Christ's sake...

Zoe said:
Correction: a 360 button is shown in the trailer.
Yep if you look on the various official websites for FFXIII-2 you will see Square is also up to its old trick of using the same screenshots for both versions, simply changing which button appears on the battle menu (LB / L1). It doesn't bode well for the 360 port.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Crazetex said:
W - why are you all freaking out about an optional mode the game has? If you don't want to use it, don't... use... it?

Yeah I don't get it either. Sure I don't need it, and I'm sure the majority of posters on GAF don't, but not everyone feels the game is easy. Easy for you =/= easy for everyone. I'm sure some people out there will be thankful for this patch.

Wilsongt

I will be there. Day 1. Just like with XIII.

There were a few fights that were annoying about FFXIII, mainly whenever Hope was the lead due to his shit HP.

The hunts were decent if you had the right paradigms... Just... fucking Trapz. Fucking Trapz, man...

flyover

TheJollyCorner said:
Easy-mode? Sounds good.

Good idea for my replay just prior to FFXIII-2.

Yep. That's why it makes perfect sense. It's not a statement on whether or not FF XIII was a tough game. The point is that Easy Mode makes it quicker for people to play (or re-play) it before XIII-2. I think it's really smart.

flyover said:
Yep. That's why it makes perfect sense. It's not a statement on whether or not FF XIII was a tough game. The point is that Easy Mode makes it quicker for people to play (or re-play) it before XIII-2. I think it's really smart.

Will this patch hit the US and Asian versions too? Eng - I still need to do my turtle grinding so the drop increase would be nice. Asian - I was planning on picking up the ENG text, JPN voice version of the game (HK iirc) just to reexperience it with the original voices and easy mode could indeed make for a faster playthrough.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Will this patch hit the US and Asian versions too? Eng - I still need to do my turtle grinding so the drop increase would be nice. Asian - I was planning on picking up the ENG text, JPN voice version of the game (HK iirc) just to reexperience it with the original voices and easy mode could indeed make for a faster playthrough.
I will expressly use Easy Mode to get Trapozedrons.

Seriously.

That's the only thing stopping me from playing the post-game.

Top Bottom