• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, can anyone name all the battle tracks for me? I'm not going to get the game for a while but I'd love to listen to all the battle themes.

mr_nothin said:
I've only made it to chapter 10 so far. Just throwing my 2 cents in. Stick with it for 3 more hours and I think you'll start to kinda enjoy it :)

I'm in the same boat. Made it to Chapter 9. And I have become completely ambivalent. Who did they make this game for?

Rpgmonkey

Feep said:
For what? Is the last boss that difficult?

Not the last boss, other stuff like missions.

It's a stronger weapon. You don't need it to beat anything, but it's not like getting one is a lose-lose situation, and the Attack/Magic boost can be quite significant with some upgrading.

Fakto

Finished the game, 5 started the last boss ;D ... Loved the combat, the graphics, CGI, music, even the overall plot, but HATED every single word that came out of any of the characters mouths !
I hope SE stops doing the dialog scripts in napkins ... the only well said piece of dialog was
the final Lightning's speech,
and that's it.

Feep

Banned
Firestorm said:
I hope you realize the type of people who get 100% on everything and the strongest weapons in the game have been around long before achievements.
I guess. Lord knows I'll never understand them, though. If your idea of fun is sitting around for hours on end, fighting the same enemy over and over again, for the end result of seeing a different set of digits appear on your status menu, well...

I suppose Final Fantasy XIII was made for you, wasn't it?

expy

Banned
Feep said:
I guess. Lord knows I'll never understand them, though. If your idea of fun is sitting around for hours on end, fighting the same enemy over and over again, for the end result of seeing a different set of digits appear on your status menu, well...

Ummmm, how lnog have you been playing video games for? RPGs more specifically.

Feep said:

I don't think RPGs are you thing, brotha.

Feep

Banned
expy said:
Ummmm, how lnog have you been playing video games for? RPGs more specifically.
Don't be daft. I've been playing RPGs since around nineteen years ago.

RPGs, despite their battle systems often being seen as mundane, do generally offer a different set of challenges within battle throughout the game. Different enemies, bosses, situations, party members, and tactics.

Moreover, RPGs *reward* you for this battle, whether through the advancement of the story, cutscenes, new areas, or, as you would expect, stat enhancements. But these stat enhancements are meant to further your ability to *progress through the game*, or at the very least, allow you access to further game content.

Fighting one enemy, ad nauseum, after the conclusion of all that the game has to offer is absolutely ridiculous, and I do not understand it. (shrug)

Feep said:
Don't be daft. I've been playing RPGs since around nineteen years ago.

RPGs, despite their battle systems often being seen as mundane, do generally offer a different set of challenges within battle throughout the game. Different enemies, bosses, situations, party members, and tactics.

Moreover, RPGs *reward* you for this battle, whether through the advancement of the story, cutscenes, new areas, or, as you would expect, stat enhancements. But these stat enhancements are meant to further your ability to *progress through the game*, or at the very least, allow you access further game content.

Fighting one enemy, ad nauseum, after the conclusion of all that the game has to offer is absolutely ridiculous, and I do not understand it. (shrug)
Most RPGs ever made have this mechanic. And you say you've been playing them for 19 years? You don't have to grind in the post-game. You don't even HAVE TO DO THE POST-GAME.

Shocker.

Feep

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Most RPGs ever made have this mechanic. And you say you've been playing them for 19 years? You don't have to grind in the post-game. You don't even HAVE TO DO THE POST-GAME.

Shocker.
Very few RPGs (do any?) actually lock you out of the game upon completion. That'd be bizarre. Why would they?

I'm just saying I can't understand how fighting the same giant turtle over and over again for twenty hours could possibly be fun.

Lots of games do postgame right. See: The World Ends With You. So awesome.

Some people enjoy grinding, and some enjoy challenging themselves. Traditional RPGs don't differentiate between someone who wins by grinding/handicaps and someone who wins while restricting themselves. It's not fair to judge people when you could just as easily go play another genre that doesn't have grinding, or penalizes it.

Feep

Banned
(shrug) Oh well. Clearly, my attitude is unpopular here. C'est la vie. I'm sleepy.

(Though, mjemirzian, I'm not against *grinding*, I'm against pointless grinding when there is no reward or progress to be had.)

Bauer91

Fuck, I need help with the Chapter 9 Boss, I've been trying to beat him for the last hour.
I get SO close, but he casts Doom and Lightning dies. Any tips? My party is Lightning/Vanille/Snow.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bauer91 said:
Fuck, I need help with the Chapter 9 Boss, I've been trying to beat him for the last hour.
I get SO close, but he casts Doom and Lightning dies. Any tips? My party is Lightning/Vanille/Snow.
go all out on him as he charges and not only will his charge beam weaken, but you'll probably stagger him oh so much more as a result.

he should be a cake-walk after that.

Bauer91

Rez said:
go all out on him as he charges and not only will his charge beam weaken, but you'll probably stagger him oh so much more as a result.

he should be a cake-walk after that.

I can't stagger him at all later on in the battle because just as I'm about to stagger him he charges and it restarts. I do attack with everyone then but he still kicks my ass. :(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I see where you're coming from Feep (agreed on TWEWY too), my mind also gets boggled at some farming techniches. But the thing is, for some the satisfaction of reaching 100% or finally getting that rare drop is enough to overcome the previously long boring process (or maybe they also have fun in the process, to each their own). It's not for me either, I grinded a bit at the Behemot/Wolf in ch.11 and I always do most of the average optional stuff in RPGs, but god knows how quickly I stop trying when a weapon or fight require actual hours long hardcore farming/grinding.

Firestorm said:
oh god people were not kidding about chapter 10 being the worst in the game. My friend just told me the boss I killed was at the 40% mark.

This dungeon is even more same-y than anything before it. Ugh. It's so goddamn lazy.
Yep, it's terrible. Skip most of what you can, even grinding in chapter 11 is more fun than spending time in chapter 10.

desverger

Bauer91 said:
I can't stagger him at all later on in the battle because just as I'm about to stagger him he charges and it restarts. I do attack with everyone then but he still kicks my ass. :(

go RAV-RAV-RAV after plonking him once with a COM, fills up the gauge really fast.

Also:
Once he shells up and charges his painful aoe move, go all out on him. If you hear him say UNGGGGHHH you just cut the damage from that move to half, while filling out a nice portion of his chain gauge :p

Fuu

dragonlife29 said:
Hey, can anyone name all the battle tracks for me? I'm not going to get the game for a while but I'd love to listen to all the battle themes.
Here you go, all of these play in one or more battles iirc. I probably missed some and since I'm on ch.11 it's missing final boss music and any other that's exclusively on chapter 12-13:

-Blinded by Light (Ryo Yamazaki)
-Saber's Edge (Masashi Hamauzu)
-Eidolons (Masashi Hamauzu)
-Desperate Struggle (Junya Nakano)
-Defiers of Fate (Mitsuto Suzuki and Ryo Yamazaki)
-Test of the L'Cie (Mitsuto Suzuki)
-Fighting Fate (Masashi Hamauzu)
-Eden Under Siege (Masashi Hamauzu)

anddo0

Galvanise_ said:
So, I completed the story of the game without using the summons once. What a useless crock of shit.

I used Odin like once:lol I know some people use them to bail their party out of low health situations.. I just didn't see the point.

anddo0 said:
I used Odin like once:lol I know some people use them to bail their party out of low health situations.. I just didn't see the point.

I only used them when I was made to (Snow rescuing), etc etc. They didn't seem to do much damage.

Bauer91

desverger said:
go RAV-RAV-RAV after plonking him once with a COM, fills up the gauge really fast.

Also:
Once he shells up and charges his painful aoe move, go all out on him. If you hear him say UNGGGGHHH you just cut the damage from that move to half, while filling out a nice portion of his chain gauge :p

Thanks I'll try this. I knew about the second thing, but I still couldn't stagger him, RAV-RAV-RAV will help hopefully...

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Fuu said:
Here you go, all of these play in one or more battles iirc. I probably missed some and since I'm on ch.11 it's missing final boss music and any other that's exclusively on chapter 12-13:

-Blinded by Light (Ryo Yamazaki)
-Saber's Edge (Masashi Hamauzu)
-Eidolons (Masashi Hamauzu)
-Desperate Struggle (Junya Nakano)
-Defiers of Fate (Mitsuto Suzuki and Ryo Yamazaki)
-Test of the L'Cie (Mitsuto Suzuki)
-Fighting Fate (Masashi Hamauzu)
-Eden Under Siege (Masashi Hamauzu)
Just to make things clear, those are the names of the arrangers. All the tracks were composed by Hamauzu.

Galvanise_ said:
So, I completed the story of the game without using the summons once. What a useless crock of shit.

Agree, summons are such pussies, I just used Odin a couple of times, I miss FF when the summons were badass destroying everything on the damn screen, I love how they fight beside you but they should make their normal attacks much stronger considering they take up three TP.

Bauer91 said:
I still can't fucking beat him, arghh. I must've tried like 20 times. I'm gonna have to take a break and try later.

Use Relenteless Assault, Combat Clinic when he does that Thanastonian Laughter, then Relenteless Assault, heal with the Technique RENEW, target time for me was 8 minutes, after 15 minutes, he'll cast Doom

expy

Banned
Bauer91 said:
I still can't fucking beat him, arghh. I must've tried like 20 times. I'm gonna have to take a break and try later.

If you're having trouble staggering him at all, then just use a straight up turtle strategy... Turtle whenever he's about to shoot. and then just heal up quick and attack, rinse repeat. It'll take a long time but he'll go down easily.

Feep said:

I do believe I'd rather sit around for hours on end with FF XIII than sit around for hours on end with you.

gkryhewy

How do I know if a weapon is "tier 2"? I'm still in GP (Ch11) - can I safely assume that any weapon I've gotten so far is still tier 1?

expy

Banned
gkrykewy said:
How do I know if a weapon is "tier 2"? I'm still in GP (Ch11) - can I safely assume that any weapon I've gotten so far is still tier 1?
Everything you acquire is Tier 1. They become Tier 2 when you upgrade them past their first Star. Tier 3 once you upgrade them past their second Star.

Styles

Think I'll just load the save before I upgraded the accessories and weapons, I sold almost all of my accessories and have lost track. :( All 5 hours wasted...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
burgerdog said:
I have 9 ingots that I'm saving for a trophy. I remember telling myself that I would get at least one ultimate weapon for each character and multiple for my favorites. Yeah.. halfway through one ultimate I already wanted to quit. What about farming mission 63? You always get a gold nugget and a chance at an ingot/trap. Might be better than mission 24, also I hear dark matter has a good drop rate.

Yeah, 63 gives you four tortoises and the guaranteed 60k, of course you waste some time travelling to the mark and then travelling back to the plains to do the mission... so it's a question of whether or not the 60k is worth that extra time.

It's just annoying that they did this. I was enjoying the game, but having to grind for money has really left a bitter taste. Of course, I'm still going to do it so what the hell.

What is it? 1.5 million for each Ultimate weapon (9 million) and then another 3-4 million to upgrade all the other accessories and weapons. Son of a bitch.

toasty_T said:
Shit, that's all the money I have :lol

I suppose I'll start farming for more traps, if I'm lucky I'll get some platinum ingots.

Yeah, as burgerdog says, don't break for Traps unless you absolutely need them. You lose a lot of money on something that you'll probably get a lot of eventually.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
desverger said:
I'm at Chapter 11. What's the easiest way to go if I want to acquire Sprint Shoes?

Do the Chocobo treasure hunts to get the guaranteed Tetra Crown or Tetra Tiara (at 10 and 15 treasures found).
Otherwise, do Mission 7 over and over again and hope you get a lucky drop.

If you get a Tiara, upgrade it to "star" and then break it. There's a "rumor" that you need to break 4 objects before hand before you break the Tiara. That's how I did it, but people say that you don't need to do that.

If you get a Crown, upgrade it to "star" and break it for the Hermes shoes. Then upgrade those to the Sprint shoes.
(I believe that's cheaper than upgrading a Crown to a Tiara and then starring the Tiara).

okay, a question for the peeps in Chapter 11.

I have heard more than once in this thread that you have to get 5 stars on a hunt to get the rewards, complete the hunt, whatever. And yet, I have only 5 star'd 2 of my first 4 hunts and I still get "mission complete!" and a reward. What gives?

Also, how can I see which hunts I have completed and what my rating was for them? I can't even remember now, much less after doing 50 of the things, yet I can't find anything in the menu. Am I just overlooking it?

desverger

firehawk12 said:
Do the Chocobo treasure hunts to get the guaranteed Tetra Crown or Tetra Tiara (at 10 and 15 treasures found).
Otherwise, do Mission 7 over and over again and hope you get a lucky drop.

If you get a Tiara, upgrade it to "star" and then break it. There's a "rumor" that you need to break 4 objects before hand before you break the Tiara. That's how I did it, but people say that you don't need to do that.

If you get a Crown, upgrade it to "star" and break it for the Hermes shoes. Then upgrade those to the Sprint shoes.
(I believe that's cheaper than upgrading a Crown to a Tiara and then starring the Tiara).

Thanks! Do I need to beat Mission
to get the Chocobo Hunts?

DigitalDevil said:
okay, a question for the peeps in Chapter 11.

I have heard more than once in this thread that you have to get 5 stars on a hunt to get the rewards, complete the hunt, whatever. And yet, I have only 5 star'd 2 of my first 4 hunts and I still get "mission complete!" and a reward. What gives?

Also, how can I see which hunts I have completed and what my rating was for them? I can't even remember now, much less after doing 50 of the things, yet I can't find anything in the menu. Am I just overlooking it?

For missions, there's a first-time reward and a repeat reward. You get the first-time reward when you complete the mission, the rank doesn't matter in regard of the reward. Actually the only reason you would need to care about the ranks is if you're going for the trophy/achievement of 5-starring every hunt.

You can see your previous missions and ranks you got from the map screen.. Press X or the equivalent on PS3 :p

Dra-Q

Banned
I'm at 32h and at the tower in chapter 11. I grinded like a retard today, maxed out all main jobs for the entire party. Should I take on the boss in this ch. or go on with the missions?

gkryhewy

expy said:
Everything you acquire is Tier 1. They become Tier 2 when you upgrade them past their first Star. Tier 3 once you upgrade them past their second Star.

Oh, thanks! I've acquired a number of weapons, but just keep upgrading my original set since everything else is a dramatic downgrade from my current stats (I think my active weapons are at level 12 or so).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
desverger said:
Thanks! Do I need to beat Mission
to get the Chocobo Hunts?

Yeah, you basically need access to the Chocobos... then use the map on Gamefaqs to find 5, save, reload and repeat.
(Only 5 spawn at a time in random places)

Fuu

The AI truly believes that -ra magic is advantageous above anything else during stagger. Vetala receives normal physical damage while being resistant to elemental attacks during stagger and AI RAV/Lightning would rather waste the ATB causing around 400 damage with -ra spells than using strikes and taking >8000 damage with each hit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dra-Q said:
I'm at 32h and at the tower in chapter 11. I grinded like a retard today, maxed out all main jobs for the entire party. Should I take on the boss in this ch. or go on with the missions?

Beat the boss and then continue grinding, because you'll unlock a new level right after. :lol

desverger

Fuu said:
The AI truly believes that -ra magic is advantageous above anything else during stagger. Vetala receives normal physical damage while being resistant to elemental attacks during stagger and AI RAV/Lightning would rather waste the ATB causing around 400 damage with -ra spells than using strikes and taking >8000 damage with each hit.

Just Deprotect him after his shield drops and go melee mad on him, he'll die in 10 secs :p

desverger said:
For missions, there's a first-time reward and a repeat reward. You get the first-time reward when you complete the mission, the rank doesn't matter in regard of the reward. Actually the only reason you would need to care about the ranks is if you're going for the trophy/achievement of 5-starring every hunt.

You can see your previous missions and ranks you got from the map screen.. Press X or the equivalent on PS3 :p

I could kiss you right now. Quick response and exactly the information I was looking for! THANKS!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom