• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT2|

edgefusion said:
I really enjoyed the lore and the world(s) they built up but I just absolutely despised every single one of the characters except Rygdea, whom I love and cried over the underuse of.

You only like him because you think he looks hot.

I agree.

Grisby

Fimbulvetr said:
You only like him because you think he looks hot.

I agree.

The chick with the glasses should have had more screen time. Shit, she could have been the MC. Whats her name, Jill?

MechaX

Fimbulvetr said:
Jihl.

AKA the worst villain in the universe.

Eh. Mecha Pope was way worse with 100% of his appearances being him gloating to the party about how everything is going according to keikaku and then leaving. At least Jihl... well... did some stuff and looked nice.

I'm in chapter eleven right now, and I have wonder what the hell were they thinking with this shitty leveling/job system. I have to wonder what they were thinking with a lot of things. Essentially, I didn't explore Gran Pulse, followed the story, and was punished for it. I went straight to Mah'Habara and had a swell time dealing with the enemies there. -_- I managed to make it to Taejin's Tower before I was like, "fuck this" and went back to The Archylte Steppe. I like how they introduced a warping stone outside of the tower, but you can't even use it yet! >:\ Anyway, I'm doing the incredibly contrived sidequests at the The Archylte Steppe right now.

edgefusion said:
I really enjoyed the lore and the world(s) they built up

What lore? Most areas get 2 or less (vague) paragraphs in the datalog and some of the Cocoon area transitions are unbelievable, like they exist in separate universes or something.
Pulse
fared a bit better, but I still didn't feel like anything was really justified or explained. Is it a planet? A continent? Where are the areas located in the overall world? These are questions I shouldn't have to ask when playing an RPG.

Now FF12's Ivalice is a fucking world. Loved every bit of it. Can't say the same for the gameplay.

Kagari said:
The problem is the characters are largely uninteresting. The mythology is fine, but the over all plot tried too hard to be deep and it just didn't really amount to anything. It doesn't help that the writers aren't exactly great either.
Part of me thinks that the Final Fantasy series has worn out this "lone group against an empire" thing.

Final Fantasy XIII is such a weird game to me. The characters are all completely uninteresting and their motives are paper thin. I enjoyed the battle system and then realized how little I had to change things just to win battles. I enjoyed the graphics for a while, but the experience overall showed me that pretty much all the dev time went to the graphics, and no thought or money was thrown at the plot. The game ended up being a pretty slide show of people I didn't like.

I'm not going to be one of those people who get on the "Fuck Square!" band wagon, but man, somebody needs to check those guys.

RoninChaos said:
Part of me thinks that the Final Fantasy series has worn out this "lone group against an empire" thing.

Final Fantasy XIII is such a weird game to me. The characters are all completely uninteresting and their motives are paper thin. I enjoyed the battle system and then realized how little I had to change things just to win battles. I enjoyed the graphics for a while, but the experience overall showed me that pretty much all the dev time went to the graphics, and no thought or money was thrown at the plot. The game ended up being a pretty slide show of people I didn't like.

I'm not going to be one of those people who get on the "Fuck Square!" band wagon, but man, somebody needs to check those guys.
Pretty much sums up how I feel. I hated FFXIII, but I'm willing to give Square another chance. As long as they've learned from their mistakes....

I'm trying to beat this game before E3 so I can follow FF XIII-2 info without spoilers so I continue where I left off somewhere in chapter 9. and I think I forgot a lot of thing about the battle system.

how do I told my party member to attack specific enemies? I launch an enemy to air and I wish Hope to hold him there with magic attack and let Fang continue while I recharge my ATB gauge, but Fang insist of attacking other enemy.

standard fight with 3 enemy mech become so long I thought I must have done something wrong. I missed the target battle time up to 3 minutes from the targeted 6 min time limit.

so I figure I mustn't have leveled up my character enough, or upgrade my equipment or something. spending crystalium seems straight forward though, not sure where I could have messed that up. and I'm not sure which weapon to upgrade since my level 2 or 3 starting weapon already have better stat than newly acquired weapon.

any general tips for battle that may help me with this game? I just feel like I have no control over my party and I was overwhelmed by the amount of action on screen. I haven't even keep track of which enemies does which attack. I only monitored my hp and change between medic here and there, other than medic, it's simply using ravager and com.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Callibretto said:
I'm trying to beat this game before E3 so I can follow FF XIII-2 info without spoilers so I continue where I left off somewhere in chapter 9. and I think I forgot a lot of thing about the battle system.

how do I told my party member to attack specific enemies? I launch an enemy to air and I wish Hope to hold him there with magic attack and let Fang continue while I recharge my ATB gauge, but Fang insist of attacking other enemy.

standard fight with 3 enemy mech become so long I thought I must have done something wrong. I missed the target battle time up to 3 minutes from the targeted 6 min time limit.

If you have more than one attacker in your party they will attack different enemies, while any blasters will attack your current target. Otherwise no, there is no way to specify targets. Having 2 attackers is great for dealing with groups of smaller enemies. If you're controlling Lightning with Fang in your party, set Lightning to main blaster and keep Fang as your sole attacker. Having 2 blasters is essential for breaking enemies faster.

But no, you didn't do anything wrong. The fights can get obscenely long late in the game. The only way to do any real damage is to put enemies into break state, so i like to switch between 1 attacker/2 blasters and 3 blasters regularly to break enemies as fast as possible without dropping meter. Remember to pile on the buffs/debuffs ASAP in those protracted fights.

Don't worry too much about weapon upgrades. It's really not essential...ever, and only really helps near the end when you have tons of extra money and materials.

edit: regarding my only post early in this thread, I did finally force myself to finish it around the time XIII-2 was revealed. Yay me. Yes, it was pretty terrible, but I've kind of wanted to go back and finish all the Gran Pulse missions for some reason. I can't tell if that stuff was genuinely enjoyable or marathoning this game has skewed my perception of fun.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
This game was so damn awful. The characters, the story, the boring linear progression, damn near everything was so underwhelming and irritating. And yet i'll be there when XIII-2 drops :/ I guess I'm a sucker for punishment.

sonicmj1

I just started the game today. I've played it for three hours.

I got the ability to level up and get paradigms a half hour ago.

Chapters 1 and 2 are the shittiest shit I have ever played in an RPG. I'd rather "play" the first three hours of Persona 4 again, where I did absolutely nothing, than run down narrow corridors and fight enemies by mashing autoattack over and over. The five-star rating I get for victory is practically insulting. What did I do?

Can't believe this game shipped with its producers thinking that this start made sense. There's no goddamned excuse.

At least there's nowhere to go from here but up.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
RoninChaos said:

Just for conversation's sake, what plotline is more appropriate? They're all multi-variate plotlines that need the characters to go in the same general direction. See: all Final Fantasy games. Change empire to religion, giant super mega monster, or corporation, and there you go.

Part of the problem is the abandonment of a fantasy setting. I say take it back to a dark or high fantasy setting like the first ones or go completely post-apocalyptic like Crystalis. Gimme some swords, kings and princesses, and some bad ass wizard trying to get a dragon or some regular corny RPG shit!

I just finished it for the first time. If I had to describe the game in three words, I'd choose: big, dumb, and pretty. I can't say I didn't enjoy it, but the ending left me feeling, well nothing. The ending just contained a whole lot of stupid, but it was pretty.

Pros
- Eventually, an enjoyable battle system
- Art direction
- Character designs
- Voice acting
- Music
- Graphics
- FMVs were nice looking
- Gran Pulse

Cons
- Pacing
- Inconsistent difficulty
- Leveling up system
- Weapon upgrade system
- Plot
- Script
- Action during FMVs was borderline nonsensical and hard to follow
- Some of the environments were oh so boring.

Tizoc

Grisby said:
The chick with the glasses should have had more screen time. Shit, she could have been the MC. Whats her name, Jill?
Close, it's Jihl.
...and seeing the E3 trailer for FF13-2 makes me wonder
if she'll appear in 2 and have a bigger role. I still agree that killing her was done too fast. She could've escaped with the 6 and be the observer of their trek through Pulse

BTW I heard that the JP ver. is getting an update patch, that provides an easy mode difficulty for the game. Anyone got any solid info on this?

i just got this from amazon for $15 or so and started playing (ps3 version).... after an hour or so in i'm asking what the fuck? every fight so far has just been me pressing X a few times and getting through the battle. then it appears all my health is back when i start another battle. and i can only control the girl not the other guy in my party? i don't see any experience points either. trying to give the game a chance but it just seems like it's not going to be worth my time. can anyone honestly recommend i keep playing? :(

sonicmj1

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i just got this from amazon for $15 or so and started playing (ps3 version).... after an hour or so in i'm asking what the fuck? every fight so far has just been me pressing X a few times and getting through the battle. then it appears all my health is back when i start another battle. and i can only control the girl not the other guy in my party? i don't see any experience points either. trying to give the game a chance but it just seems like it's not going to be worth my time. can anyone honestly recommend i keep playing? :(

I beat the game an hour ago.

Get out now while you still can. It improves, but it takes hours for it to happen, and it's just not worth the time invested. And the improvement isn't enough of an improvement to redeem the game.

Seda

FrenchMovieTheme said:

You're at a point where a lot of stuff is kept from the player until later, including leveling your characters. The tutorial section is quite long.

I would only play through if you have the tolerance for typical JRPG/anime plot and dialogue.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Are you shitting me sonicmj1?
FrenchMovieTheme said:
DUDE, keep playing. You're still at the tutorial... it's not until Lake Brescha or whatever it's called (I think it's chapter 3) that the game TRULY opens up. The first REAL boss will slaughter you if you only press X. In fact, the boss requires more micro management than most optional bosses in most Final Fantasy games. Keep playing.

edit: Experience points is there by the way. Keep playing.

sonicmj1

Yoshichan said:
Are you shitting me sonicmj1?

DUDE, keep playing. You're still at the tutorial... it's not until Lake Brescha or whatever it's called (I think it's chapter 3) that the game TRULY opens up. The first REAL boss will slaughter you if you only press X. In fact, the boss requires more micro management than most optional bosses in most Final Fantasy games. Keep playing.

edit: Experience points is there by the way. Keep playing.

Maybe I'm just still really disappointed by the ending, but I feel like I could have saved myself a lot of aimless anger and rage at the plot and the restrictiveness of the game over the last few weeks had I never bought or played it. Even with low expectations, this is the most disappointed I've been with a game in a long time.

The training wheels come off after 3 hours, but outside of the boss fights, the game is pretty mindless for a long time after that. There are glimpses of the full glory of the battle system, but you don't get to feel the full thing really hum until Chapter 9 or so when you finally have a full group that can access all the roles.

And to get to that point, you need to push your way through a lot of running down paths and fighting enemies. If the characters and plot grab you, it'll be tolerable. I was always hoping that things would turn around soon, and constantly being let down. The pacing feels glacial through much of the early stuff, and the cast and script had me cringing nearly every time they appeared.

I'm glad I know what it's like for myself, but it wasn't time well-spent.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yep, it's definitely to each his own.

I felt that the combat had the most satisfying battle system in any main Final Fantasy to date. I love instant micro-management and even outside bosses you needed some of that. The part where you enter the cave with the fish-enemies is one example, you'll simply die a lot if you repeatedly mash a button mindlessly.

When I discuss the battle system in FFXIII, I always keep in mind how the other Final Fantasy games were. In VII, with the right materia set-up you could mindlessly hold down O for the entire part of the game. Same thing goes for VIII if you've got the correct junctions. Same thing goes for X if you've even bothered with the sphere grid. And in XII, you don't even have to press a single button if the gambits are accurate.

I love almost all of the main FF so I'm not complaining. It's just that I feel that the battle system in FFXIII is the least thing one should be complaining about - unless that person is comparing it to the depth of let's say Baldurs Gate II.

When it comes to the story line, this is 100% an opinion thing. As I blasted through the first three introduction chapters of the game, I knew that I was playing a tutorial section. I knew that I was playing a part of the game where Square wanted us to start building up some character development with Team Nora and the main characters. Now if you absolutely hated all of the characters from start, then you're fucked. The only reason to keep playing by this point is the battle system, and if you play through chapter 3-5 and still dislike the battles then that's the point where you should quit the game.

I for one kinda liked most characters (ESPECIALLY Gadot and Sazh) in the game and the graphics + music was really, really gorgeous so playing through FFXIII was one of the most enjoyable things this generation.

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Run while you still can. FFXIII is by far the worst FF game ever made.

Negator

After a month of off and on playing and a 93 hour timer on the clock...finally Platinumed.

Damn does it feel so good.

Feorax

Negator said:
After a month of off and on playing and a 93 hour timer on the clock...finally Platinumed.

Damn does it feel so good.
This is the dream.

Just hit the end of chapter 9 and cant beat the boss. Currently grinding to max out the crystarium, only about 8000cp needed to hit the lv3 cap on all characters.

Boss will still kick my ass though, just know it...

SykoTech

Beat the game earlier today. Just under 45 hours. Quite underwhelmed by the Final Boss. I'm not sure if it was just because I had gotten better at the game, but it was a cakewalk compared to the previous boss battles to me. I'd say that the regular enemies leading up to the Final Boss were more of a challenge. I would have beat him on my first try if it wasn't for that one-hit KO crap.

Overall, I enjoyed it. The biggest problem was that there is virtually no gameplay or anything interesting to do outside of battles. However, the battle system was fun enough to get me through it. I can certainly see how someone who was extremely hyped for FFXIII and paid full price for it would be severely disappointed, but I feel pretty satisfied having paid only 15 bucks and going in with moderate expectations. Can't help but feel that Fang would have made for a much better lead than Lightning though.
Lol, Claire. What a poor reveal.

Time to grind to the top so I can beat the crap out of everything in Gran Pulse. Probably won't bother to Platinum it though. Treasure Hunter alone seems like too much of a pain.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
SykoTech said:
Beat the game earlier today. Just under 45 hours. Quite underwhelmed by the Final Boss. I'm not sure if it was just because I had gotten better at the game, but it was a cakewalk compared to the previous boss battles to me. I'd say that the regular enemies leading up to the Final Boss were more of a challenge. I would have beat him on my first try if it wasn't for that one-hit KO crap.

Overall, I enjoyed it. The biggest problem was that there is virtually no gameplay or anything interesting to do outside of battles. However, the battle system was fun enough to get me through it. I can certainly see how someone who was extremely hyped for FFXIII and paid full price for it would be severely disappointed, but I feel pretty satisfied having paid only 15 bucks and going in with moderate expectations. Can't help but feel that Fang would have made for a much better lead than Lightning though.
Lol, Claire. What a poor reveal.

Time to grind to the top so I can beat the crap out of everything in Gran Pulse. Probably won't bother to Platinum it though. Treasure Hunter alone seems like too much of a pain.

Having finished it a week or so ago myself I would argue the game didn't actually 'start' until the post-game Gran Pulse stuff. Doing the hunts and getting geared to take down Long Gui's was where I finally felt engaged. But even just grinding for the hunts and adamantoises will test your patience. The pacing issues are terrible even on the road to preparing your characters for the hardest hunts on Gran Pulse, just as they were during the story. There is a severe gulf in lacking content needed to level from story endboss to being sufficient at handling optional hunts. (I resigned myself to spamming the death trick on adamantortoises for a dozen unfulfilling hours)

Even still, fuck that Treasure Hunter achievement. The grinding is insane to afford the mats. Unbelievable that Square provided no decent alternatives to earning gil beyond Plat Ingot farming. I have completed everything else, downed the hardest foes, and I still need millions of gil to upgrade equipment for no reason but this achievement. Awful.

What is this patch about?

Jeels

I wouldn't put this really high on my list of final fantasies, but I enjoyed it up until near the end where battles just took insanely long to beat and you got really crappy rewards for it (12 minutes to beat two monsters, and I only get like 1000 CP? Really?). It's certainly flawed, and I would never go out of my way to defend most of it other than to say that its the victim of a lot of hyperbole. 6/10, I'll most likely play the sequel.

You aren't playing it right.

VillageBC

haha, I must be out of touch. I enjoyed FFXIII, not the greatest FF but in the continuing tradition of FF some are better then others. Most striking though, none of the characters bothered me in this one. Unlike every other FF that had some character that just grated on me, this one didn't. At times they did, but on aggregate they didn't and by the end I was pretty much fine with all of them.

Looking forward to XIII-2, hopefully not following in the vein of FFX-2(Worst FF ever for me). I haven't looked at much of the media on XIII-2 but I'm hoping it's exploring the world/lore of Gran Pulse. So much more could have been done with that locale when you finally got there.

I think it must be the in thing to hate of FF games now. I seem to recall plenty of hate for FFX and FFXII when they were released as well.

I'm looking forward to FF13-2. I've no good God-damn clue why. The two leads look like total twerps and I'm still mad(and confused) at myself for spending 40+ hours playing through this one.

I think it's just Lightning's armour get-up. Shit is hot.

PairOfFilthySocks said:
I'm looking forward to FF13-2. I've no good God-damn clue why. The two leads look like total twerps and I'm still mad(and confused) at myself for spending 40+ hours playing through this one.

I think it's just Lightning's armour get-up. Shit is hot.
She's not the protag this time around though, right?

.JayZii

Banned
I had a really good time playing through XIII, but I'm not really looking forward to XIII-2. After thinking about it, I think my reason is just that the world of XIII has worn out its welcome for me. After seeing only it and Versus media for the past 5+ years as representative of Final Fantasy, I really just want to see them hint at something new. I realize its kind of silly since they need to finish what they're doing now before they even think of moving onto new projects, but I just can't help but crave new worlds, characters, game systems and aesthetics to keep Final Fantasy feeling fresh.

Kyon

Banned
I didn't know anywhere else to put this, and most of you don't care.... but... I JUST PLATINUMED THIS GAME A FEW MINUTES AGO! XD i got this at launch, stopped playing April 2010, then resumed a month ago to try to get the Treasure Hunter Trophy. omg this is my first plat ever. Can i just add that this game could have been better but i kind of enjoyed it :) that is all.

Tizoc

^Congrats on the Platinum =)
So the patch comes out today doesn't it? Do we know if it'll be available for EU and US versions?

Well..... I came back to complete my quest for the Platinum Trophy which I put on hold since last August because I felt sooooooo bored ( maybe because I finished the game 5 months ago and still felt too early for me? ).

Anyway.... having fun now.

80 hours so far... Maxed 4 roles out of 6 for all the main characters, only 5 missions left to complete... and 41 for the accessories........ trying to max all roles for all of the characters before I resume the missions and the treasure hunter.

this is what I use as my main team:

photolt.jpg

any advices ?

laika09

For the last mission and the upgraded turtles, my favorite paradigms were always 3 of the same type. SEN/SEN/SEN is pretty much required to survive some attacks, and it's amazing how fast you can buff/debuff with 3 SYNs and SABs. And once your characters are pushing 3.5/4k attack, it becomes pointless to mix COMs and RAVs when you can obliterate things instantly once they're broken with 3 COMs.

Top Bottom