• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT2|

Aru

_dementia said:
I hope the save carries over to XIII-2 or something

Doubt it will be the case since
everything was tied to the L'Cie state/summons and they are both gone

Huff

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Yes there is an aspect of trial and error, but as to whats best for upgrading. It always seemed to me that what was most expensive/of high value was the best to use.

I don't just mean just going from level 2 to 3, but the more complicating part of upgrading equipment/items to the next "stage." There's a lot of uncertainty of what can/cannot be evolved and what you will get and if it is worth it. I ruined a lot of items by trial and error, which led to more grinding, until I gave up doing it myself and read a guide.

Easier to say, there was no sense of fun or accomplishment to the upgrade system. To me at least.

Yaweee

Up to Chapter 9, presumably decently far in it (I can't imagine it being all that long of a chapter?). Chapters 4 and 7 felt way too long, and Vanille was a crappy character for the first few chapters, but I'm still loving the game. It manages to be interesting and challenging without requiring grinding, despite avoiding 80~90% of all fights.

Tizoc

Onion_Relish said:
a good way to grind is on adamanchilids and adamantoises. Youre going to be going for their loot anyway, might as well double up on the tasks. Dont worry about Cp grinding though, you'll max out on points way before you max out on gil and trapz

also, xiaolong gui is extremely weak to saboteurs. I would control the buffer then have my two cpu sabs spam the crap out of their abilities. Also, for those who dont know, any enemy in "daze" will be woken up, but waking them up does critical damage, if you want to see my setup for a xiao long gui its in the spoilers.

Start as Sen's to mitigate quake damage, heal if necessary depending on level.
Switch to Sab Buff Sab with you controlling the buffer so as to quickly dole out haste, protectra, shellra, bravera and Faithra. Picking Fang/Hope/Lighto is good for this.
With his debuffs stacked up switch to Commando Rav Rav to run his chain through the roof. Once hes at about 700-800 switch to com/sab/com. Coms will blow his shit up due to sab constantly spamming daze and leaving him permanently critical. Repeat as necessary
I'll try this out when I get to fight them, thanks for the info =)

BroHuffman said:
I don't know why anyone would replay this. I beat it and didn't even think about doing anything post game, let alone play it again.
This is my 2nd fav. Final Fantasy and despite some of the battle system's problems I enjoy it a lot.
I'm currently in my 2nd playthrough as of this post, and have managed to go through the game better this time due to my better utilization of Paradigms and what to use my CP on.
Though TBH, the only thing I messed up on is Gil and weapon upgrades; when I do a 3rd playthrough I won't upgrade any weapon til I get enough Traps to fully upgrade my weapons.

Yaweee said:
Up to Chapter 9, presumably decently far in it (I can't imagine it being all that long of a chapter?). Chapters 4 and 7 felt way too long, and Vanille was a crappy character for the first few chapters, but I'm still loving the game. It manages to be interesting and challenging without requiring grinding, despite avoiding 80~90% of all fights.
Vanille's Sab abilities are very useful, maybe more than you think, If you start a battle against some strong enemies as Com+Sab or Rav+Sab you can quickly defeat them.
Sabs are like Ravs in that they increase the chain gauge a lot, so you should use this Role when on the offensive.

Did I mention how Barthandalus was easier in my playthrough? I was fighting the final boss and
I took down Barthandalus waaaaaaaaay easier, I started by buffing with Synergists then attacked with Rav+Sab+Com, switching between Rav+Com+Med and Rav+Com+Rav. My team was Snow+Fang+Hope and Fang was able to get 99,999 damage when on 999% stagger @3@.
Orphan's first form wasn't too much trouble too.
Overall, I find that if you know what you're doing the game is easier to get through.
Sorry If I repeat what I've posted in the past ^_^;

Speaking of XIII-2, we know that
Cocoon's fal'Cie are no more, but what about Pulse's
?

Tizoc said:
Speaking of XIII-2, we know that Cocoon's fal'Cie are no more, but what about Pulse's?

The Pulse fal'Cie should be just fine, really.

It's not like every fal'Cie was
powered by Orphan.

Tizoc

Fimbulvetr said:
That's my thought as well, wonder if
Titan will have a role, at least as a sidequest? If he's a boss I just pray he won't take half an hour to defeat =_=
I mean even the bigger turtles can be beaten within 10 mins., so I hope if Titan can be fought that a battle against him can be completed within a short time.

Huff

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:

It's not like every fal'Cie was
powered by Orphan.

Was there a post game comic/manga that added detail to the ending?

BroHuffman said:
Was there a post game comic/manga that added detail to the ending?

There was a mini-story packedged with the Japanese 360 International version.

I don't remember it saying anything about the fal'Cie, and the ending still didn't make any sort of sense. It was just build up to XIII-2.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just want FFXIII-2 to have a town at least.

Or quests that aren't monster-hunting only.

Yaweee

Vanille's Sab abilities are very useful, maybe more than you think, If you start a battle against some strong enemies as Com+Sab or Rav+Sab you can quickly defeat them.
Sabs are like Ravs in that they increase the chain gauge a lot, so you should use this Role when on the offensive.

I was referring to her as a character, not related to her combat skills. She's actually really damn good in battle, as her Sab's debuff spells either do damage or still maintain the combo meter.

Huff

Banned
ULTROS! said:

Towns are overrated.

But it needs different types of quests. Maybe some mini games. And summons that arn't worthless.

Konosuke

Tizoc said:
Speaking of XIII-2, we know that Cocoon's fal'Cie
are no more, but what about Pulse's?
Oh come on, how can you spoiler tag most of your post and not this? Thanks a lot. smh

Yaweee said:
I was referring to her as a character, not related to her combat skills. She's actually really damn good in battle, as her Sab's debuff spells either do damage or still maintain the combo meter.

I was actually annoyed enough at Vanille that I never used her unless an enemy was strong to physical attacks. Even when a 3 Medic party would have been beneficial.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ULTROS! said:

Definitely agree with that. Postgame needed a bit of variety here and there.

I'd like better tension-building and release. The "no-towns" thing didn't feel like a huge issue in both my Japanese and English playthroughs, though I did want to speak to a few NPCs to get a gist of what it was like in town, or what their impressions of the fal'Cie and life on Cocoon were.

For example,
Nautilus was a wonderful place with nice designs and a fantastic BGM, but I felt a little disconnected from it. Same issue with Palomporum. The towns were gorgeous setpieces, but they felt a little hollow. Eden's NPCs were pretty good at communicating how tense they felt with the situation, and how much they relied on the fal'Cie Eden to give them protection (ie: "Why are you letting this happen, Eden?" or "The fal'Cie will protect us!"). Eden felt more "alive" than Nautilus to me.

With that said, I am cautiously optimistic for FFXIII-2. I hope it explains more of the mythology--it's very intriguing.

Dark Schala said:
For example,
Nautilus was a wonderful place with nice designs and a fantastic BGM, but I felt a little disconnected from it. Same issue with Palomporum. The towns were gorgeous setpieces, but they felt a little hollow. Eden's NPCs were pretty good at communicating how tense they felt with the situation, and how much they relied on the fal'Cie Eden to give them protection (ie: "Why are you letting this happen, Eden?" or "The fal'Cie will protect us!"). Eden felt more "alive" than Nautilus to me.
This is actually my biggest gripe with the game. You always feel disconnected from the story (probably due to the fact that the first 25 hours you have no control). So much of every good final fantasy is ending up in a new town or dungeon and having it have some sort of real importance. Taejins tower has no relevance, its just in the way. The same could be said for every other place. Remember when you hit the temple ruins in ff7 or galbadia garden in ff8? shit is fucking crazy!

Aru

Yeah, XIII-2 doesn't need towns. It needs more variety in the gameplay and better level design.

Tizoc

BroHuffman said:
Towns are overrated.
I personally would be satisfied with there being people in some areas just to make some places more 'life-like'.
...but yeah towns are overrated >o>;

Abylim

Ok, havent played this since nearly a year ago, I want to pick it back up.
I know I missed a few chests during my playthrough, I'm currently nearly done with the marks. Is there anything I could have missed to screw me out of treasure hunter trophy? am I better off restarting?

I have two tier 3 weps, I recall farming forever, just sort of curious if I should quit and restart or not. Alot of time invested already though =\

Huff

Banned
Tizoc said:
I personally would be satisfied with there being people in some areas just to make some places more 'life-like'.
...but yeah towns are overrated >o>;

Towns for the sake of towns is overrated.

But to have towns built for exploring, secrets, side quests, etc is something that was needed in XIII. You don't need towns for the these, but if you have towns, it better be for more than idle chat with a NPC

Tizoc

Genjikage said:
Ok, havent played this since nearly a year ago, I want to pick it back up.
I know I missed a few chests during my playthrough, I'm currently nearly done with the marks. Is there anything I could have missed to screw me out of treasure hunter trophy? am I better off restarting?

I have two tier 3 weps, I recall farming forever, just sort of curious if I should quit and restart or not. Alot of time invested already though =\

Check all shops to see if you have every acc. and lvl. 1 weapon.
Make sure you didn't sell any of your acc. or dismantled them. If you think you have, check an FAQ at GameFAQs.
There is actually a VERY useful and less tedious method of getting enough Traps to upgrade to Tier 3 weapons. I got this method from an FAQ, and sadly I don't remember who the creator of it is T^T, here's the method anyways

In order in upgrade efficiently it is first recommended that you use 36x Sturdy Bones, Barbed Tails or Vibrant Ooze at a cost of 80 Gil a piece (or 2880 for all 36) which will give you a multiplier of x3. All three of these items can be purchased from Creature Comforts.

From there you can then use certain items which have been identified as giving the best exp/gil ratio.

1.Ultracompact Reactor ? 40,000exp ? buy for 50,000gil from R&D Depot
2.Particle Accelerator ? 4,800exp ? buy for 10,000gil from R&D Depot
3.Superconductor ? 400exp ? buy for 840 from Lenora's Garage
4.Perfect Conductor ? 751exp ? buy for 1,600gil from Lenora's Garage

As a general rule, upgrading from a basic weapon requires 50,000exp, upgrading an intermediate weapon requires 450,000 exp, while upgrading an advanced weapon requires 1,500,000exp. This is quite expensive, especially considering the price of some of the Catalysts required to evolve the weapons. Read near the end of the guide for a quick trick I picked up on how to make the most of those expensive catalysts.

===TRIPLICATING TRAPEZOHEDRON===========================================[#5.c]

Once you have one Trapezohedron, you can turn that one into three.

To do this, pick up a Mistilteinn, one of Vanille's weapons, buyable from
Plautus's Workshop for 11,000 gil. Along with this, you will need the
following materials:

159 Sturdy Bone \
89 Superconductor \ Total gil:
2 Particle Accelerator / 1,507,400 gil
28 Ultracompact Reactor /

1 Scarletite - (bought for 100,000 gil from "The Motherlode", or farmed
from enemies. See "Obtaining Catalysts" section.)
1 Trapezohedron

Now, use the following items to upgrade the Mistilteinn in this exact
order (for best cost effectiveness)

36 x Sturdy Bone
50 x Superconductor

1 x Scarletite

36 x Sturdy Bone
2 x Ultracompact Reactor
15 x Sturdy Bone
27 x Superconductor

1 x Trapezohedron

36 x Sturdy Bone
26 x Ultracompact Reactor
36 x Sturdy Bone
2 x Particle Accelerator
12 x Superconductor

The weapon should now be a maxed out Nirvana. Once you dismantle this, you
will receive:

71 x Monstrous Fang
60 x Entrancing Tail
36 x Moonblossom Seed
10 x Tear of Woe
3 x Trapezohedron
If the person who wrote down these methods read this, kudos for the info, it's really helpful =D

Take note that all of a character's weapons have the same name for their 3rd Tier, so you don't have to have every character's weapon at Tier 3; just get them all to Tier 2 and you should get the trophy eventually.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BroHuffman said:
Towns for the sake of towns is overrated.

But to have towns built for exploring, secrets, side quests, etc is something that was needed in XIII. You don't need towns for the these, but if you have towns, it better be for more than idle chat with a NPC
Also correct. FFXIII's town setpieces were begging for more life and a better connection to the player. Running around and listening to some random NPCs say "I want a Carbuncle plushie!" or something to that effect isn't all I want in a game's world-building and tension-building, release and relaxation. The way the towns were organized and the game was set up, you couldn't do much in the towns in the first place, but it would have been nice to (Chapter 12 spoilers)
go back to them after Chapter 12 to see how the assault on Eden affected the other towns. Were the other fal'Cie as zealous as Barthandelus and Orphan, for example? Would the party have to defeat them as well? Were there l'Cie sympathizers? Stuff like that would have made the world-building and player connections to the world a lot better, despite being at the end of the game, imo.

The Cie'th Stones were in the forms they were in for a reason, but it would have been interesting to (endgame/postgame spoilers)
find some sort of civilization struggling to survive against the powerful monsters on Pulse, even if Titan would deem it evolutionarily unnecessary. Those archaeopoli I read about in Famitsu sounded so interesting, but there was just nothing to do in those places because they were just minor stops in a path from A to B with fights in between. I did not like receiving missions from only Cie'th Stones because they felt like nameless faces who I took jobs from. Why couldn't they complete their mission? Who were the Undying and what was their purpose? I don't want to hear it from a Datalog, I want to hear it from the Undying themselves.

Final Fantasy XIII has a grand, beautiful world that just begs to be explored by the player. The stuff I read in the Datalog about each place was pretty interesting. If only I could have explored what was said in the Datalog as well as going through the main plot. It's unfortunate that the interesting stuff (to me, at least) was relegated to the Datalog.

Genjikage, I used Arthellinus's Postgame Guide on GameFAQs. It's pretty good for weapon upgrading (how much XP is needed for each weapon, what the best resource to use is, how much money it's going to cost, etc).

Abylim

Thanks guys! It looks like I have everything thats missable, so I'm going to keep going. I just downed Adamantoise for the first time without using the Death spam method, felt pretty good to pummel him with Fang xD

Antagon

Just got to the whitewood. If I didn't know better, I'd almost think this game is mocking itself. I've got to follow the lights? There's just one damn path.

Yaweee

I had heard people say the game gets better at Chapter 11, but so far it has soured a lot of my love for the game. The missions are just so poorly designed and spread out with long, winding corridors between all of the necessary points, and laid out in a barely coherent manner. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

Yaweee said:
I had heard people say the game gets better at Chapter 11, but so far it has soured a lot of my love for the game. The missions are just so poorly designed and spread out with long, winding corridors between all of the necessary points, and laid out in a barely coherent manner. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

Well, you do get chocobo's and quite a few teleport locations as you continue the missions so it does get easier. Personally I didn't think the locations of missions was ever an issue for me. The majority of the target monsters were pretty close to the stones too iirc, with the exception of a few out of the way ones.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yaweee said:

yeah I didn't like Grand Pulse as much as I thought I would. Finding the missions in sequence was impossible without a guide. And once you took on a target it was usually located in a completely different part of the map. That said, even though I didn't enjoy as much as I thought - it was still neat. I enjoyed the game, it was beautiful. They made a really great world. They just should've exposed it to the player better than long corridors, and then this huge expansive area... connected by long corridors.

... How much I would love this game if it was built around the SNES/PSX/FFXI design: a World Map, with huge areas of exploration, separated by towns and cities. This would've been one of the best FF games given its world and characters, if made in a different era.

Rpgmonkey

Yaweee said:

Yeah, the mission stone things are poorly laid-out, not sure what thought process was going on with the person who placed them where they are. Also annoying to redo missions if they require you to travel a long distance to reach the target, should've been some kind of option to teleport to the last stone whose mission you accepted.

A few of the fights are pretty fun and tough though, which is a nice change of pace when you can coast through the main story pretty easily.

I've been thinking of trying this again, first time around I just couldn't punish myself into playing it through, the voice acting is terrible and that is my main gripe...after XII I expected better than "moms R tuff!". I *think* there is an option for Japanese voices, isn't there?

Rpgmonkey

PumpkinPie said:
I've been thinking of trying this again, first time around I just couldn't punish myself into playing it through, the voice acting is terrible and that is my main gripe...after XII I expected better than "moms R tuff!". I *think* there is an option for Japanese voices, isn't there?

Nope.

neoism

Dark Schala said:
Don't worry about it. I took 141 hours to get my Platinum.
Took me 166h... :p
FUCKING turtles<:\
loved every minute of it though. Second favorite Final just behind XII...shame it gets a lot of hate. :/

Yaweee

GrumpyAlien said:
Well, you do get chocobo's and quite a few teleport locations as you continue the missions so it does get easier. Personally I didn't think the locations of missions was ever an issue for me. The majority of the target monsters were pretty close to the stones too iirc, with the exception of a few out of the way ones.

I haven't even gotten the chocobos yet. I turned around from a point because there was no quest leading that direction, but now I have to go back and do missions 6 and 7.

Rpgmonkey said:
Yeah, the mission stone things are poorly laid-out, not sure what thought process was going on with the person who placed them where they are. Also annoying to redo missions if they require you to travel a long distance to reach the target, should've been some kind of option to teleport to the last stone whose mission you accepted.

A few of the fights are pretty fun and tough though, which is a nice change of pace when you can coast through the main story pretty easily.

I've found it to be the overall hardest FF since the NES days, but I have avoided ~70% of the battles. Chapter 11 has been a huge discontinuity in the difficulty level; I'm still stuck at the last of the 3 story bosses.

Rpgmonkey said:

It's really bizarre. XIII was an attempt to get away from the fact that XII was way too open - they ended up making the bulk of the story take place in corridors.

Then you hit Chapter 11 and they repeat the mistakes of XII.

Antagon said:
Just got to the whitewood. If I didn't know better, I'd almost think this game is mocking itself. I've got to follow the lights? There's just one damn path.
Thank god the Gapra Whitewood is one of the most stunning locales ever put into videogame form.

Edvardelis said:
It's really bizarre. XIII was an attempt to get away from the fact that XII was way too open - they ended up making the bulk of the story take place in corridors.

Then you hit Chapter 11 and they repeat the mistakes of XII.

Cept neither game is very open at all.

Just because you have a lot of optional places to go to(and XIII doesn't even have that many) doesn't mean a game is open, the game still guides you through a specific set of locations. Otherwise you'd be implying that world maps make pre-PS2 FF games open.

I really don't get why people think FFXII is open. It's a very linear game where you go through some big zones. That's about it. Even the leveling system is pretty linear. Locking out skills until the game says your ready for them.

Cels

neoism said:
Took me 166h... :p
FUCKING turtles<:\
loved every minute of it though. Second favorite Final just behind XII...shame it gets a lot of hate. :/

yea those turtles were such a bitch when i was too low to kill them without death, but fang is so beast that it wasn't long before i was killing them with skill rather than luck. the lamest thing is trapezohedron drops though...it wouldn't be so bad if you got money after killing an enemy because at least you would be guaranteed to have enough money to get a trap after killing X monsters, but no, even with those accessories equipped to boost your droprate (i forget the name), most of the time you get nothing, sometimes you get ingots, and very rarely you get a trap.

i was lucky on drops though...lucky enough that i platinumed the game without even having 999999 leftover points (or whatever the number is) on the crystarium, and in only 56 hr.

went over to my friend's and he was trying to platinum but he had already maxed on the crystarium with 999999 leftopver CP and gotten all the missions done, but still needed money for treasure hunter.

Antagon

ZephyrFate said:
Thank god the Gapra Whitewood is one of the most stunning locales ever put into videogame form.

For the first 10 seconds, but then you realise its just another corridor that's not fleshed out in the slightest. Really, all the locales that I've seen in the game are just there without any reason except looking pretty.

Yaweee

Rahxephon91 said:
I really don't get why people think FFXII is open. It's a very linear game where you go through some big zones. That's about it. Even the leveling system is pretty linear. Locking out skills until the game says your ready for them.

There's actually a great deal of exploration to do; many of the Zodiacs can be fought way, way earlier than they are appropriate for if you go out of your way. Nothing like accidentally stumbling upon Adramalech in a desert cave.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just found out Final Fantasy XIII has a Greatest Hits (US PS3) and Platinum Hits (US 360) label already. The price is around $29.99 if anyone is interested.

FoeHammer

I just started this yesterday for the first time. Did they completely change the person in charge of script and voice actors? I only ask because the dialogue and voice acting has been atrocious so far. I loved 12's cast (especially Balthier) and this seems like a huge step back so far. Granted, I'm only a couple of hours in but I already hate most of the characters I've come into contact with.

The graphics are very nice however and the battle system seems interesting.

hsukardi

Almost done with the game..

- Amazing and addictive combat system; one of the best in the series maybe on par with XII
- Good upgrade system; because the combat is so good
- Shit characters; too emo, no depth, no attachment to any of them
- Shit story; no idea wtf is happening and why things are so random
- Shit corridor system; world is MOSTLY very claustrophobic, few branches, and NO HUB
- Shit pacing; cutscene, 12 steps and cutscene again happens dozens of times in the game, meaningless and who the fuck did this design

At the end I burned through because the combat was so good. But man the story, characters and general design are so bad. If they keep moving down this route the series will implode. Biggest issue is really characters and scenario writing. The setting itself is OK visually.

Squeenix cannot continue producing games with AAA budgets that have this many Japanese quirks and memes in their characterization.

Go_Ly_Dow

FoeHammer said:
I just started this yesterday for the first time. Did they completely change the person in charge of script and voice actors? I only ask because the dialogue and voice acting has been atrocious so far. I loved 12's cast (especially Balthier) and this seems like a huge step back so far. Granted, I'm only a couple of hours in but I already hate most of the characters I've come into contact with.

The graphics are very nice however and the battle system seems interesting.

XII's Director = Matsuno (FF Tactics, Vargrant Story, FFXII and Tactics Ogre)
XIII's Director = Toriyama (FFX-2, Front Mission Evolved, 3rd Birthday and XIII)

With all future S-E's games that interest me I'm going to look out for Toriyama's involvement beforehand.

I guess this is worth posting but more details have emerged on the supposed cut content. Credit to anoop.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/24/ffxiii_lightning_house/

It would've been nice to see that area with XIII's graphics.

Aru

M_Night said:
XII's Director = Matsuno (FF Tactics, Vargrant Story, FFXII and Tactics Ogre)
XIII's Director = Toriyama (FFX-2, Front Mission Evolved, 3rd Birthday and XIII)

With all future S-E's games that interest me I'm going to look out for Toriyama's involvement beforehand.

I guess this is worth posting but more details have emerged on the supposed cut content. Credit to anoop.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/24/ffxiii_lightning_house/

It would've been nice to see that area with XIII's graphics.

Kitase said he liked Toriyama's work and they work really in the same way (putting story as a major element in a game). So it's pretty much a given that most main FF titles will be directed by Toriyama until he eventually takes Kitase's job as producer.
I kinda miss Kitase as a director as he made the best FF games for most people (VI and VII) but I'm not against Toriyama.
I wonder if he will also be the writer of the next FF games or if they will get Nojima again ? He is a lot better than Toriyama at writing a story.

Gvaz

Banned
hsukardi said:
Almost done with the game..

- Amazing and addictive combat system; one of the best in the series maybe on par with XII
- Good upgrade system; because the combat is so good
- Shit characters; too emo, no depth, no attachment to any of them
- Shit story; no idea wtf is happening and why things are so random
- Shit corridor system; world is MOSTLY very claustrophobic, few branches, and NO HUB
- Shit pacing; cutscene, 12 steps and cutscene again happens dozens of times in the game, meaningless and who the fuck did this design
I thought after you got most of the stuff opened in terms of combat it was pretty predictable and boring :\

The characters and setting was the most interesting part, the story not so much.

Clott

I am glad I pushed through the first 6 or so chapters, because right now I am having a blast. But I need help on how to finish the game strong. I have just gotten to chapter 10 so I am now finally thinking of upgrading my weapons, and settling into the best classes. I am set on using Lightning, Fang and Hope for the rest of the game.

I haven't touched the weapons, is there a guide on what route to take to get the best weapons for those 3 characters? Should I even bother yet?

Top Bottom