• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT2|

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Twilight Princess said:
i love fang's character, despite how little screen time she had. i guess im just a people person, even if it's fake people.
Not alone.

Fang is my boo

DY_nasty said:
Not bad aside from Vanille

(I still don't think she's that bad though)

If she was bad all the time she could probably at least become endearing in some way or another (like every character from every Star Ocean). Thing is I never know what she's going to do next but the results usually end with me holding my face in my hands and sobbing.

Worst part is when one of the other party members say something and it's like they're setting things up specifically so that Vanille can just kill it. Sazh is the most likable of the lot from what I've played so far but every time he acknowledges Vanille I just wanna slap him. I don't know if it's the right thing but since Lightning just kicks, punches, slaps, and knees everyone in sight over everything it's probably acceptable.

DY_nasty

Yeah, Vanille is all over the place.

I got used to Snow's brotacity pretty quick, but Vanille's VA was just wild...

kay?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
If she was bad all the time she could probably at least become endearing in some way or another (like every character from every Star Ocean). Thing is I never know what she's going to do next but the results usually end with me holding my face in my hands and sobbing.

Worst part is when one of the other party members say something and it's like they're setting things up specifically so that Vanille can just kill it. Sazh is the most likable of the lot from what I've played so far but every time he acknowledges Vanille I just wanna slap him. I don't know if it's the right thing but since Lightning just kicks, punches, slaps, and knees everyone in sight over everything it's probably acceptable.

:lol

vanille sounds like she's about to come everytime she makes a noise, and her accent sounds very weird to me....apparently her voice actress is a real australian but fang's is an american faking an aussie accent, my impression was opposite of that. wonder if any aussie gaffers are still around to comment on their accents?

Crazetex

Last night I realized that Hope's dad should have been the Cid of XIII. This might just be because 1) he's a PC's dad and 2) he looks like Cid from XII.

Too bad he can't tag along and provide comedic relief because that's Sazh's job. Chocofro aside, Sazh is my least-favorite character. I kind of feel dirty saying that, but... yeah.

Trumpets

There's some criminal over-emoting in this game. Rather than react naturally to the situation they find themselves in, the characters will become extremely angry/ upset/ depressed for no obvious reason except that the plot or their emotional 'arc' requires them to. Snow and the grey haired kid are the worst, but they all do it to some degree.

Anyway, the game as a whole is a terrible let down and having got to Pulse I'm going to stop playing it.

I was thinking after playing through Final Fantasy XIII - isn't it time to try and make mainline FF game for Wii 2/3DS? It's obvious SE cannot handle HD assets at acceptable rate, it took them forever to make FFXIII done, and even then some design choices (overworld, no towns, etc.) are questionable.

Shouldn't HD fetishists at SE take a step back and let someone else take over, even just once?

Crazetex said:
Last night I realized that Hope's dad should have been the Cid of XIII. This might just be because 1) he's a PC's dad and 2) he looks like Cid from XII.

Cids don't have too look alike.

Also he would still be a bad Cid.

Twilight Princess said:
vanille sounds like she's about to come everytime she makes a noise, and her accent sounds very weird to me....apparently her voice actress is a real australian but fang's is an american faking an aussie accent, my impression was opposite of that. wonder if any aussie gaffers are still around to comment on their accents?

That's also how Vanille's va actually talks. Watch some interviews.

Crazetex

Re: Towns/Overworld, I am perfectly happy not wasting my time tracking down NPC #62 in some giant town I don't care about and then wasting my time traveling over a pretty map that does nothing except lengthen the time before I can actually do something interesting (kill stuff).

People who insist that every FF/jRPG needs towns and an overworld and boring stuff make me :< .

Crazetex said:
I don't care about and then wasting my time traveling over a pretty map that does nothing except lengthen the time before I can actually do something interesting (kill stuff).

True, but then again corridors in FFXIII are super long for no reason at all, they could've cut them in half and nothing would've happened.

ultron87

Bumpage!

Getting back into this game after stalling in Gran Pulse for forever.

Are Behemoth Kings supposed to be incredibly difficult to kill if you haven't done that large of a number of missions? Or am I just missing something when it comes to fighting them?

ultron87 said:
Bumpage!

Are Behemoth Kings supposed to be incredibly difficult to kill if you haven't done that large of a number of missions? Or am I just missing something when it comes to fighting them?
It's not about missions, they're just really tough when you first start off. Gran Pulse is all about figuring out which enemies you can and can't take on, and killing those that you can. If you want to level up quickly, though, there's one area where you can find a Behemoth King fighting a giant wolf/leopard thingy - you automatically get a preemptive attack on both of them AND they both start off at 50% HP (iirc), so it ought to be very, very easy to kill them both very rapidly (especially since the damage multiplier on the Behemoth King jumps straight up to like 850%). They also respawn very, very quickly.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Behemoth King has long HP that's for sure. Even at max level it takes some time to kill it.

ultron87

Yeah, I almost had one into Break on its second form or whatever, but then I summoned something. Since I hadn't played in awhile I forgot that it resets the break meter when the summon finishes.

It then proceeded to one shot Lightning when she strayed a little too close to the Sentinel. I decided to stop fighting Behemoth Kings for awhile following this.

ultron87 said:
Bumpage!

Nope. Just do missions and come back later.

aceface

Just beat Barthandalus for the second time (on Pulse on that elevated highway thing). Damn that was a hell of a battle. Got him just as the doom timer was running down. Awesome.

This game is interesting because it goes against my natural instincts in RPG battles which is buff up until it gets to the point where the enemy can't kill you and then just outlast them. Because of the doom counters I had to keep the pressure on and I couldn't spend time constantly rebuffing. It leads to lower HP in general and a more tense exciting battle. I love it. It probably would have been easier if I'd spent any time grinding. I figure I should to do some hunts before I head back to cocoon.

DY_nasty

aceface said:
Just beat Barthandalus for the second time (on Pulse on that elevated highway thing). Damn that was a hell of a battle. Got him just as the doom timer was running down. Awesome.

This game is interesting because it goes against my natural instincts in RPG battles which is buff up until it gets to the point where the enemy can't kill you and then just outlast them. Because of the doom counters I had to keep the pressure on and I couldn't spend time constantly rebuffing. It leads to lower HP in general and a more tense exciting battle. I love it. It probably would have been easier if I'd spent any time grinding. I figure I should to do some hunts before I head back to cocoon.
You're coming up on the final stretch. Eye candy from that point on.

i had to stop at chapter 7 due to school/work ramping up, but i loved it. it was a really good game for me. probably will beat it over winter break :)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
DY_nasty said:
You shouldn't really need to...

Where you're at is a great place to grind and max everything though. You can upgrade, and the cash you pick up there (I think the enemies drop some good stuff you can sell...), but its not essential. For Lightning I made sure to have as much ATB boosting stuff as possible at that point. It helps, but you don't really need to.

Again, great grind point if you're feeling overwhelmed and underleveled.
I don't feel that way at all. Some of the battles can be challenging depending on the matchup, but I haven't felt the need to want to upgrade. So yeah, I guess I can wait until Chapter 11 or whatever.

secretanchitman said:
i had to stop at chapter 7 due to school/work ramping up, but i loved it. it was a really good game for me. probably will beat it over winter break :)

Nice to see people giving this game an honest chance. I spent over sixty hours on it in my first playthrough and didn't regret a second of it.

So I've been stuck on this game for months. I bought it the week it came out and played it like crazy under I had to fight
Bartandelus for the second time. You know, where he takes on the form of Sarah or something
Any strategies on how to beat him? I've got my characters almost as maxed out as they can be and I would use Sazh, Snow and Lightning. I have mixed it up but I found that I got the furthest with them.

Stalfos

cool_dude_2049 said:
So I've been stuck on this game for months. I bought it the week it came out and played it like crazy under I had to fight
Bartandelus for the second time. You know, where he takes on the form of Sarah or something
Any strategies on how to beat him? I've got my characters almost as maxed out as they can be and I would use Sazh, Snow and Lightning. I have mixed it up but I found that I got the furthest with them.
I played this fight not too long ago and didn't have too much trouble. I think I had a similar team: Lighting, Fang (she had higher attack for me than Snow), and Sazh. I immediately buffed, using Com/Com/Syn, or Rav/Com/Syn. Once everyone is buffed and in good health then go for the stagger with Rav/Rav/Rav. Once staggered switch to Com/Com/Com and deal as much damage as possible. Heal and buff when necessary and you should be fine. I can't remember if you can defuff him at all but if you can do that as well.

Edit: As mentioned below Lighting by herself is not that great for healing. To help with that I'll often use renew which can be very useful. Just make sure your TP gauge is full before entering the boss battle.

DY_nasty

cool_dude_2049 said:
You might want to switch out Sazh for Hope.

Lightning is a crappy healer by herself. Med/Sen/Med is your friend.

Synless

I just wanted to bump this and say, I finally platinumed this bitch!!!!! 125 hours of grueling turtle hunting and five star battles and it is done!!!!

i played through the game again and... i don't think i hate it anymore. sure it doesn't have everything i want out of an rpg but i like the battle system, music, characters, and the story (up until the end).

now i'm looking forward to XIII-2. surprising after all the shit i've posted about these games in the past :x

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Upon individual hearing I have to amend my opinions in the soundtrack. I dislike the heavy use of the Lightning theme which was exploited since 2006, but the melodic feel of most tracks make it really enjoyable to listed outside of the game. Interestingly, I think the pieces closer to Sakimoto's bombastic style are the best.

LaneDS

cosmicblizzard said:
Seems FFXIII might be looked back on favorably once the "I waited 4 years for this shit?" dust fully settles. FF fans the new Zelda fans?

I doubt that. A year later and I'm still slowly slogging my way through the game out of some misguided feeling that I have to since it's part of a series I (normally) love and the fact I paid $60 for it after waiting years. Still my least favorite in the series (well, not counting XIV of course) and I don't see that somehow changing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
cosmicblizzard said:
Seems FFXIII might be looked back on favorably once the "I waited 4 years for this shit?" dust fully settles. FF fans the new Zelda fans?
Lack of RPGs on consoles in recent years means people forget how JRPGs should be.

It has already been 6/7 years since Dragon Quest VIII.

Dance In My Blood said:
Lack of RPGs on consoles in recent years means people forget how JRPGs should be.

It has already been 6/7 years since Dragon Quest VIII.
Oh please do tell us less people what jrpgs are.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Rahxephon91 said:
Oh please do tell us less people what jrpgs are.
Well, better placement of cutscenes is a good starting point. Enabling better control over your party is another one. Letting the player do more than make very general battle tactic decisions also goes a long way in to making the game more engaging. It also wouldn't hurt to see less reliance on a single battle mechanic that is little more than a combo meter.

And then there are always the options of including actual world design to help with player immersion, a coherent visual theme, likable characters, battles that can break you out of a trance-like rotation cycle that works in most encounters, and a non-linear character upgrade system that actually allows for player variety.

Of course, these are only the things that come to the top of my head that FFXIII flubs.

Top Bottom