• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 (PC/PS3) June 14th, New trailer

Ravidrath

I am assuming the E3 trailer is gonna show off all the new classes/jobs like Arcanist, Summoner and now Scholar.

They made it sound like that Arcanist, Summoner and Scholar wouldn't be playable in the beta at all, so... I kind of doubt that, unfortunately.

Animekatt

I will be leveling up Sch for sure. I'm loving those long hairstyles as well. I'm gonna have to rethink my character's hairstyle now.

Allard

You can level any job you want. Equip the weapon for any class and have at it. Basically the way is works is you level a class to 45 (some higher) then you can take on a few missions to unlock the main Job.

So Conjurer --> White Mage and so on.

I think that is one of the great things about this game. Unlike most mmo that ties you into your class you have alot of options class wise in this game.

Clarification, its lvl 30 :p since you gain new quests for new job unlocks every 5 levels. (Like getting regen at lvl 35 for WHM, then a new ability at lvl 40 specific to WHM etc.)

Yes classes are just like FFXI jobs except you dont need to find a moogle to change, you just equip the right tool or weapon and you become the class based on it. Each class has its own levels, and each combat class (Mage or Melee) has at least one job, and this recent producer letter alludes to the addition of a second job for each class. Jobs are basically specs for classes that limit what abilities you can take from other classes, but adds brand new ones exclusive to that job that is specifically designed around a role in a party.

Change Conjuror to WHM, become the ultimate party healer, change Archer to Bard, become a range support/buffer with some damage capabilities, Thaumaturge to Black Mage, become a wizard of elemental destruction.

But if say you want to equip the spell raise to your Thaumaturge from the conjuror ability list, you can't be speced to the Black Mage job so there are times when you might not want to go to a specific job, like for instance low manning instances or content where a more balanced approach is necessary.

They made it sound like that Arcanist, Summoner and Scholar wouldn't be playable in the beta at all, so... I kind of doubt that, unfortunately.

Yoshida mentioned in the previous live letter that we will get new trailers designed specifically for the new class/jobs as well as Coerthas and Mor Dhona zones in the near future, some of those could appear at E3. They just won't be testing those things in Beta because they are high end content and the beta test has a lvl 35 cap for content. They also likely want to keep Arcanist something new for release. Thankfully we just got information the Chocobo buddy system is getting tested in phase 3 now so we can test the pet system for Arcanist :) (They also said you can have chocobo buddy AND carbuncle out at the same time for Arcanist at release!)

Cmagus

This is from Bayohne on the forums:

"Q19: So about that scholar rumor...?

A19: Scholar will be implemented at the start of service as a job! Look for details on scholar at E3! "

Clarification, its lvl 30 :p since you gain new quests for new job unlocks every 5 levels. (Like getting regen at lvl 35 for WHM, then a new ability at lvl 40 specific to WHM etc.)....

Yeah thanks for that my mistake I was thinking you need to be 45+ to finish off some of the job quests.

N.A

Banned
what the fuck is that

First-print copies of FFXIII came with a code to allow PS3 players into the XIV 1.0 beta. They are honoring those codes for the ARR beta. You do not need one but if you enter one you are guaranteed to get into phase 3.

baekshi

Banned
First-print copies of FFXIII came with a code to allow PS3 players into the XIV 1.0 beta. They are honoring those codes for the ARR beta. You do not need one but if you enter one you are guaranteed to get into phase 3.

perfect,
i should have one of those codes then

Cmagus

FFXIV_Letter_Producer_Live_VII-32.jpg

I want this rug for my player house.

Ricker

Some info on how monk and dragoon play:

Nope, you are automatically in. The patch servers are down atm, that's why you get that error.

Ok cool thanks,I wont get to play much this summer though,just like 2 days a week but it should be good enough to see if I keep my Mage/Conjurer or roll something else come launch...if the beta's are during the weekend though,I wont get to play at all,damn...

Ichabod

Banned
I'm really trying to look past the combat mechanics but I'm having a hard time. Moves that display such flare and ferocity just come across limp and lacking impact and force. The dragoon was the only one who looked like he was landing forceful blows on the enemy. I hate seeing multi-hit combo flourishes and mobs react by kinda rocking back in place every once in a while. You can practically hear them giving an emotionless, monotone "Ugh," as they get hit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This may have been asked a million times already, but is there going to be a GAF linkshell/guild/equivalent? One of the worst things about an MMO is going in blind, with nobody to play with.

I'm torn between Paladin, Black Mage, Dragoon, or Monk. Leaning towards Paladin...

Ricker

This may have been asked a million times already, but is there going to be a GAF linkshell/guild/equivalent? One of the worst things about an MMO is going in blind, with nobody to play with.

I'm torn between Paladin, Black Mage, Dragoon, or Monk. Leaning towards Paladin...

There will be I am pretty sure...how long it will last though is anyone's guess hehe...but the Tera guild, for example, is still going after a little over a year.

N.A

Banned

GAF's linkshell is called Red Dot. They will also be making a Free Company with shared bank, trophies and competition between Free Companies. They constantly had dozens of players online right through 1.0 so you'll have no trouble finding people to play with.

That trailer looked great.

Release the invites for the PS3 beta please!

So something I'm confused about, if I want to use a bow, so I'll be starting with Archer. But am I forced to become a Bard if I want to keep using a bow or can I do something crazy like be a bow using Monk (yes, I know this makes no sense).

StuBurns

Banned
The member's code thing is annoying, I have two copies of XIII on my SE account, but I can't find the codes, was I meant to hold on to those little slips? Who would do that?

So something I'm confused about, if I want to use a bow, so I'll be starting with Archer. But am I forced to become a Bard if I want to keep using a bow or can I do something crazy like be a bow using Monk (yes, I know this makes no sense).

You can simply continue being an archer(class) or become more specialized by switching to its corresponding job (bard)

Khrno

Become a BRD will allow you to cast songs, you won't lose anything from the ARC class. Also weapons and armor have better stats for BRD than ARC. Although we are yet to see end-game items, but I really doubt there will be anything better for a class than for a job, besides something situational as for example being THM instead of BLM to have use of CNJ spells.

Is it just me or does pairing Bard with Archer seem a bit strange?

It is strange, specially since in the last version BRDs were gimped towards the end, compared to the original ARC pre-jobs.
Hope that later on we get a Ranger job, that is specialized as damage dealer, and not a multi-functional job.

Sgblues

Is it just me or does pairing Bard with Archer seem a bit strange?

Yeah that's been my main gripe for a long time now, why not minstrel to bard and archer to ranger?

Yeah bards like Edward used bows and stuff but I was hoping for a more specialized ranged attack job.

King_Moc

Banned

Yeah, there is one. It was pretty active all the way through 1.0. The linkshell leader will probably sort it out for new members around launch time i guess.

Archer and Bard is kind of weird, but is there another class that could be an Archer? I'm glad there is one at least, because I want to play it.

Khrno

Archer and Bard is kind of weird, but is there another class that could be an Archer? I'm glad there is one at least, because I want to play it.

Ranger, Sniper, Hunter, those were like the obvious choices but not, they gave Bard as the advanced job to Archer, doesn't makes sense. Interesting in a way that makes the job polyfunctional, but that took away one ranged dps.

In two weeks we'll be able to see if Bard is still just a below average dps and buffer, and maybe if Scholar will fit the role for another ranged dps.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I like the pairing of Bard and Archer personally. As long as the balance of support and DPS is good. I really wouldn't want to see this game's job system drowning in DPS jobs like FFXI.

Mileena

Banned
I'm really upset they announced Scholar and not Ninja or Dark Knight :|

They can't have PLD with no DRK right? It has to be coming!

Napophis

From what i remember reading about this, there'll be 2 types of servers, one for new players and one for legacy. So if you played before and don't want to start over, you can choose to play on legacy servers but if you want to start fresh, you choose a new server. Transferring from Legacy to a New Server won't be allowed. Is this still the case? Really hoping for a fresh start and having to deal with ppl who played the game alot and have millions of gil....

hteng

Banned
From what i remember reading about this, there'll be 2 types of servers, one for new players and one for legacy. So if you played before and don't want to start over, you can choose to play on legacy servers but if you want to start fresh, you choose a new server. Transferring from Legacy to a New Server won't be allowed. Is this still the case? Really hoping for a fresh start and having to deal with ppl who played the game alot and have millions of gil....

Legacy characters are locked into several Legacy servers

If you are legacy but wants to start fresh you can choose between Legacy servers or Fresh servers. The same goes to new players. Yoshi has stated he wants legacy players to help new players so he's allowing new players to join legacy servers if they want.

imo it's not that big of a deal though, because the content finder system is cross server. Meaning you can raid a dungeon instance with people from other servers.

So if I entered it forever ago I'll get in?

raven777

Lol I stil have this code from buying first print of FFXIII.

Kainazzo

Each class has its own levels, and each combat class (Mage or Melee) has at least one job, and this recent producer letter alludes to the addition of a second job for each class. Jobs are basically specs for classes that limit what abilities you can take from other classes, but adds brand new ones exclusive to that job that is specifically designed around a role in a party.

Whooa there, two jobs for each class? Awesome! I heard the game will have 18 total classes+jobs, and I thought they'd all been revealed. Or does the Scholar make 17 and there's still one left?

Also, I don't play many MMOs, and I hardly ever make more than one character in them. As a result, I miss out on a lot of class content. You're saying that, so long as I have a complete set of the right gear, I can swap classes anytime? Will my character have separate stats for each so they can be viable for both magic and melee? Or, are you saying that I'll lose some class freedom once I choose a job?

Veldin

The fluidity and spectacle of the new combat animations is impressive. 1.0 had some great animations, but it had just as many awkward ones.

Well well well. I never thought I'd say this, but it looks as though Square has finally released something worthwhile this gen. We just had to wade through the fecal matter that was Lightning's story, along with god knows how many mobile games.

DJIzana

The fluidity and spectacle of the new combat animations is impressive. 1.0 had some great animations, but it had just as many awkward ones.

That's why I personally enjoy the most too. That and the world design. The way they fill the world with color and such unique scenery really seals the deal for me. Not just MMO's but a lot of Eastern RPG's.

The best part about those combat animations though? It's not even a complete list of all the skills and/or classes! :D

That's why I personally enjoy the most too. That and the world design. The way they fill the world with color and such unique scenery really seals the deal for me. Not just MMO's but a lot of Eastern RPG's.

The best part about those combat animations though? It's not even a complete list of all the skills and/or classes! :D

Amazes me how they're turning this out after the shit they put out last time.

One of the best things about an MMO is meeting new people and learning how to play the game with/from them.

Anyway, I've never been selected for an MMO beta before. I applied for the PS3 beta... hope I get in.

DJIzana

Amazes me how they're turning this out after the shit they put out last time.

That doesn't surprise me so much as it's a matter of pride
(or lack thereof)
for Square Enix.

What DOES surprise me is the fact they're firm on the pay to play route. They do need to make back that financial loss asap I guess though...

Top Bottom