• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

Guys I have a friend in the Mountain Time Zone, and I know right? Lawl, mountains. Silly things. But yeah, he wants to watch the show tomorrow, what time would it be? I only saw Eastern, Pacific, and Daylight time zones.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Do we know what time tomorrow they are going to announce information about the open beta?

That's what I'm asking I don't think they've posted it yet!!
6AM Mountain time.

My main problem with Elezen (like the female posted above) is their heads look so small compared to the rest of their body. Or at least in that screenshot. xD

Riposte

Yeah I don't understand why the female DRG AF set has that gaping armorless whole in the center. Perfect spot to have a spear shoved through your gut by the enemy.

Yeah, it is not a good look. Sexually dimorphic equipment is starting to become more and more common since YoshiP took over (at least, I'm assuming job artifact designs were only made around then).

Male dragoons have the sense to cover this stomach, while the female dragoons wear nearly the same thing but with the chainmail/texture beneath being cut out (it is literally the same otherwise). Female bards have no undershirt (or you can look at it like male bards having an undershirt when they shouldn't - IIRC YoshiP's avatar (a bard) wears a version without one). Race-specific gear is kind of a joke: male miqo'te look like adventurers with actual armor plating, while female miqo'te looks like something out of an Akihabara otaku store. They even applied that shit to Lightning (though they decided to frame it in a more exploitative fashion in screenshots). Lots of skirts and maximum cleavage vs pants (I found playing a female roe pretty annoying with boob physics). So many armor sets (such as some popular dungeon gear) give pants to males and hot skirts to females. With this in mind, they make these constant panty shots risque due to the underwear they gave female characters. Subligars are fine, because it is the same between sexes and there is no deceit about what the character is wearing, but panty shot skirts are staggeringly cliche and, by definition, exploitative. The coatee set was an uncharacteristically earlier addition that was particularly ugly about this.

YoshiP once said something along the lines "you can make your character cute, sexy, or cool", which is a nice approach in theory, but what these sexually dimorphic designs say about characters is that are different based on their sex and it is almost always the case in these differences that these female characters "decide" to be "sexy". To frame it like that makes it worse. It is not like you are making a character who is sexy (like what some people may complain about in a non-MMO), you are standardizing that all females must be like that.

FFXIV 1.0 was kind of a down-to-earth game with a lot of verisimilitude going for it (both in mechanics and aesthetics). A world with attention to detail (from plot to language). It still has a lot of that, even with more fantastical elements, but it seems the process of dipping back into the Japanese/anime fantasy it is picking up the perverted (and dare I say, dated) elements of in the creatives minds. It really clashes hard with everything they've set up. It should be YoshiP's job to keep the other Yoshida in check, but perhaps this all according to his plan.

I actually made a thread about this on the beta forums, but it got deleted after a few pages.

My main problem with Elezen (like the female posted above) is their heads look so small compared to the rest of their body. Or at least in that screenshot. xD

Yea I kinda noticed that too after I posted. Not sure if it's their RSE or if it's a camera angle thing. They look pretty good with the lvl 20 armor.

bfjP1OS.jpg

chrono01

I'm not sure, I have a Q6600@3.2 + GTX 760 MSI OC + 4 GB DDR2 and my score is :

b52UBxZ.jpg

I think the benchmark is really about the GPU...
Wow, you have virtually the same specs as me.

Q6600 [currently OC'd to 3.0GHZ, but I'll probably try to push it to 3.2GHZ], 4GB DDR2 RAM, and a GTS250.

I know my video card is holding me back since I can only get around 3200 on High at 1680x1050 resolution.

I'm a bit hesitant to upgrade to a GTX760, since I'm planning on building a completely new PC in the next year or so.

Does anyone here have a recommendation of a decent step up from the GTS250? I have a 500W PSU, as well as a GA-P35-DS3L motherboard.

Riposte

Are you going to give feedback to SOE about Everquest Next's boob windows?

Dragoon AF looks absolutely shitty no matter who is wearing it. =)

They copied Power Girl lol. I don't give a damn about that game, so you'll have to find someone who does. It will probably have garbage design from the start.

DRG AF looks boss on my Roe.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
They copied Power Girl lol. I don't give a damn about that game, so you'll have to find someone who does. It will probably have garbage design from the start.

DRG AF looks boss on my Roe.

lol

Male or female Roe? Male Roes look like big, fat grapes in that fugly thing. You complain about the stomach hole, but how about the fact nobody would even be able to sit down properly? =)

I personally think the DRG AF set looks best on a male Elezen (which is what I'll be). To me, a DRG should be tall and lean with a lot of reach which is what Elezen projects. I do agree that a male Roegadyn looks like a fat plumb and a DRG Lalafell looks adorable. But female DRG really got the shaft with that stupid whole in the center.

edotlee

I personally think the DRG AF set looks best on a male Elezen (which is what I'll be). To me, a DRG should be tall and lean with a lot of reach which is what Elezen projects. I do agree that a male Roegadyn looks like a fat plumb and a DRG Lalafell looks adorable. But female DRG really got the shaft with that stupid whole in the center.

Agreed. I was planning to be a DRG also and thought Elezen looked the best in the AF armor, but they look way too goofy as mage jobs so I've fallen back to the boring Hyur.

so for phase 4, if we had already been in phase 3 we werent required to apply again right? i was in phase 3 and still havent received any email with any code, wonder if i should start worrying.

WolvenOne

Nice, what card do you own?

I do have a Overclock App with it by the way. MSI Afterburner. Haven't looked in to it yet.

Radeon HD 7870 OC, basically a midrange card that was factory overclocked, though I've nudged up the clock a bit more yet.. As soon as I can afford to, I'll be upgrading to a Crossfire Rig, probably for the DX11 version of the game six months from now. The 7870's should practically be budget cards by then.

teiresias

I posted a Miqo'te candidate earlier in the thread, but I've decided I'd rather go Elezen. I played an Elvaan in FFXI and I just like the look of them. I can't decide between these three - two male, one female. I'm leaning towards the older male (#2), personally, but does anyone have an opinion?

RORKRCO.jpg

9AHibYH.jpg

BA1dnIP.jpg

Soi-Fong

Your computer is more than good enough. Try to run the benchmark again, keep the same settings and resolution but this time turn off the Effect called "Screen Space Ambient Occlusion", and see how it goes.

Either way, even playing with that average framerate is more than enough for the game. Even for PvP, doing the Colisseum won't be as taxing as running around in the city, and will involve only up to 8 people, although Frontlines should be harder on your system, but either way as Wolven said, you can just turn down the settings a little bit if you want 60 fps.

In the meantime try turning Ambient Occlusion and see how much better it runs.

So, turning off Ambient Occlusion, but keeping everything else at max and 1080p, my score goes up to 6051. My avg framerate goes up to 54 fps.

LowParry

I swear if they announce Phase 4 for this weekend, I'll flip my shit and play 30+ hours in one sitting. I swears it. (But I'm expecting next weekend for it to start. I just know SE will tease it those bastards).

Hubb

I swear if they announce Phase 4 for this weekend, I'll flip my shit and play 30+ hours in one sitting. I swears it. (But I'm expecting next weekend for it to start. I just know SE will tease it those bastards).

Well I'd like for it to be this weekend too. I have a ton of free time, the weekend after? Not so much.

look so good :)

I really don't find that section of skin to be sexy at all. It just looks like a wall of flat pale skin with no definition. If they absolutely had to sexualize the female DRG they should have shown more skin in the thigh or breast area.

Female elves look divine in ARR.

Female Elezen look like MILF's more or less in my opinion. Especially Mother Mione of Gridania. She just has that look down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom