• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What? What SB WAR changes brings into the table that lacks PLD outside of damage? And that just a maybe considering the upgrade of potency PLD got across the board? With the loss of self heals PLD damage mitigation for himself and group makes him a much better tank at you know...tanking.

(Also blocking now blocks magic damage)

The problem is that the way damage works in this game you rarely require some kind of consistent mitigation amounts since it's all spike damage binary state. As long as you survive the rest of your efforts go towards damage. Especially with how easy 3.4 tier was.

Well, uh... I guess it's not too late to learn AST?

I would love even just more chances to *use* Cure III, let alone changing it. Whenever they pop up, I always get really excited.

and most of the time, that's when the tank positions badly in garuda hm and i don't really care to run across all the bad

The problem is that the way damage works in this game you rarely require some kind of consistent mitigation amounts since it's all spike damage binary state. As long as you survive the rest of your efforts go towards damage. Especially with how easy 3.4 tier was.

If people raids with 30 ilvls more that the current recommended lvl sure?

In 2.0 a constant usage, and management, of damage mitigation was key (Twintania).

iammeiam

The only time I've used cure3 in Garuda HM is when I'm having to fight a tank for aggro on the sister. JUST LET ME DO IT.

I think what makes the changes more bad for WHM is that much of their toolkit was stripped for the role pool.

However, if WHM heals are powerful enough to be worth two healers, then boot the other healer for a dps.

See this would be super viable except they still didn't give WHM a good AOE shield for mitigation so they've got nothing for situations where shields are needed. I just don't get what their goal was.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Not going to lie, as a non-raider, SAM being pure DPS is delicious. =) Flashbacks to FFXI with all the weaponskill names. \o/

scy

If people raids with 30 ilvls more that the current recommended lvl sure?

In 2.0 a constant usage, and management, of damage mitigation was key (Twintania).

I mean, I got my A12S clear at i252 back in November; it took until we were done with mounts before I had the ilvl to even do RF A12S, if I recall. It's been true since I first started playing back at the end of second coil and has yet to not be the case for the game that you mitigate to the point of surviving and everything afterwards is wasted.

dramatis

See this would be super viable except they still didn't give WHM a good AOE shield for mitigation so they've got nothing for situations where shields are needed. I just don't get what their goal was.
Should have made Stoneskin 2 an AOE cooldown lol

DualShockers put up a Kugane exploration video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA6SAAg2PKo
Pretty big city, and judging from later parts of the video, sightseeing log is going to be the real endgame.

I think it's big enough to host a lot of guilds and stuff, maybe you can continue crafting quests by picking up skills in a foreign land with new guildmasters?

There's also a bathhouse with hot springs. I guess we know where most of the player population is going to be.

The only time I've used cure3 in Garuda HM is when I'm having to fight a tank for aggro on the sister. JUST LET ME DO IT.

They could have played with the Lily system by making it so having X Lilies turns the shield into an AoE

But noooo, shield just burns your fucking flowers

iammeiam

Realistically if they follow the Creator method for Omega we are going to have so much excess mitigation and utility day one. Everyone is way better at everything than Twintania times.

Which is probably good because I know we're going to end up with WHM still. At least Piety being overmeldable means he won't insist on using a 50-iLevel-behind ring again because it has PIE.

There's also a bathhouse with hot springs. I guess we know where most of the player population is going to be.

We also know where to never ever ever go near on Balmung.

Ever.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Samurai sounds really cool from those abilities (I'm a Monk main anyway, so screw party utility!). Really not sure which I'm going to do first on day one, jump into the Stormblood story on my Monk or take the time to give Samurai a shot first.

Ninja seems complicated with the chained ninjutsu, but it probably makes you feel like a total badass once you've got the rotation down.

Apparently Troubadour is not a hypercharge but a party mitigation skill that changes how it mitigates based on the song you're playing

Uhhhhhhhhh

royox

Loving the SMN changes making it a bit less dot dependant and a bit more pet dependant... but still mad we are not getting Ramuh and Shiva egi :_

iammeiam

Apparently Troubadour is not a hypercharge but a party mitigation skill that changes how it mitigates based on the song you're playing

Uhhhhhhhhh

My understanding is Bard's 2% passive crit buff from songs is their raid DPS utility. Foe Req is now an enemy damage debuff fueled by MP, but I haven't seen a hypercharge style thing for them. 2% crit rate with 100% uptime vs MCH's 5% damage by type with a 17% uptime.

Valor

Battle Voice is also a 20s Direct Hit rate increase for party by 15% every 160s.

MCH has the personal dps
BRD has the raid dps

that's how it looks to be. Turret + Autos + Heated Hypercharge is pretty nice. I wonder if autos will continue to count for hypercharge damage.

katagai

As a DRG main, I'm happy with the changes, though part of me will miss phlebotomize.

Also I'm curious how many deaths Dragoons will cause when damage-hungry DPS follow them into AoEs to maintain that Dragon Sight buff.

Qvoth

huh thunder 4 can be cast as thundercloud but it's a 3% chance unlike t1-3 which is 10%
wtzgU.gif

I mean, I got my A12S clear at i252 back in November; it took until we were done with mounts before I had the ilvl to even do RF A12S, if I recall. It's been true since I first started playing back at the end of second coil and has yet to not be the case for the game that you mitigate to the point of surviving and everything afterwards is wasted.

Then I hope we go back to 2.0 style boss fights.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Low cost flares + all this swiftcast on BLM should be good fun. Shame the spells effects for Flare and Foul aren't better.

iammeiam

Battle Voice is also a 20s Direct Hit rate increase for party by 15% every 160s.

MCH has the personal dps
BRD has the raid dps

that's how it looks to be. Turret + Autos + Heated Hypercharge is pretty nice. I wonder if autos will continue to count for hypercharge damage.

Either you mean wildfire at some point in there or I missed something.

Part of the ????? is the impending secondary rebalance making relative values questionable

Qvoth

i'm not sure how the cheaper flare is going to work now tbh, i doubt it's going into our main rotation though
foul i think was the one that yoshida told the designers to tone down because it was too flashy or some shit, but yeah as of now it's kinda mediocre compared to what others are getting

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
If you're in melee you've turned off other people's ability animations anyway so I don't see why another blinding BLM spell would've been a problem.

iammeiam

DISMANTLE AND REND MIND ARE NO LONGER TWO BUTTONS!

...because they removed rend. And made Dismantle 10% phys which is nice I guess? If we start seeing AOE phys attacks? but then bumped it to 90s CD.

Seriously at this point it seems like DPS are going to be able to mitigate tankbusters for tanks.

Also less ammo per Reload but Reload CD halved and QR maintained so... more procs?

studyguy

Everyone is getting mitigation which takes me back to my original question from a while back. How much damage are we expected to get hit with because lord they've given us a metric shitton of mitigation skills in 4.0 across the board.

Guess Who

Banned
As a BRD and AST main, just imagine me dancing and throwing up middle fingers at every other job right now. 3.0 hell is over, motherfuckers.

The BRD and MCH balance seems to be the exact thing I've been saying they should do for two years, which is to refocus BRD back on its support utility and songs while letting MCH be the "I just want to pew-pew shit" job.

Seriously at this point it seems like DPS are going to be able to mitigate tankbusters for tanks.

Some of these changes feel like they only make sense if raid damage is much higher than it is now, which, in fairness, it entirely could be. Would probably make WHM feel less fucked too.

Eldren

So SMN gets auto upgraded Bio 3 and Miasma 3 due to new traits, but the tooltip for Bane only mentions Bio, Bio 2 and Miasma. Does that mean the new DOTs won't spread, or is it a tooltip mistake? I'm getting a tad concerned with SMN AOE seeing as we're losing Blizzard 2 as well, which means having to rely mostly on DOTs, with the odd damage spike from Painflare, Deathflare and Enkindle. (Edit: ok seeing it written out like that it's still quite a bit of AOE, maybe I shouldn't complain too much.)

Also feeling very vindicated in levelling AST as my first ever healer all that time ago, whew.

iammeiam

I am super fascinated for the list of bullshit explanations we're going to get for some of these choices.

Disembowel not getting addressed is huge. Monk's taking what seems like a sizable personal damage hit to buy their group buff, and ceding the selfish DPS slot to SAM. RDM sounds super strong base, SMN is getting a good mix of flavor buffs and utility. BLM gonna BLM. PLD sounds like it's in a better slot but it's debatable whether or not that makes it competitive. Healer balance is nonexistent. Ranged I'll be curious to see more of. MCH got pretty heavily pared down in terms of activity--stun and silence went cross-role and lost potency, our dot is gone, blank no longer does damage, ammo juggling and the Wildfire burst have been shifted. We got tornado kick turret explosion thing which... would have been nice for lapis skp maybe? But no wildfire detonate so eh. Doesn't sound broken at least. Bard reads like they went down the checklist which is good for the disenfranchised masses waiting to be called home, but I'm super curious to see how song juggling in extended fights works out--seems potentially cool.

Realistically I think we're going to end up with more advenures in rigid optimal comps. I don't know which yet but

I am super fascinated for the list of bullshit explanations we're going to get for some of these choices.

Disembowel not getting addressed is huge. Monk's taking what seems like a sizable personal damage hit to buy their group buff, and ceding the selfish DPS slot to SAM. RDM sounds super strong base, SMN is getting a good mix of flavor buffs and utility. BLM gonna BLM. PLD sounds like it's in a better slot but it's debatable whether or not that makes it competitive. Healer balance is nonexistent. Ranged I'll be curious to see more of. MCH got pretty heavily pared down in terms of activity--stun and silence went cross-role and lost potency, our dot is gone, blank no longer does damage, ammo juggling and the Wildfire burst have been shifted. We got tornado kick turret explosion thing which... would have been nice for lapis skp maybe? But no wildfire detonate so eh. Doesn't sound broken at least. Bard reads like they went down the checklist which is good for the disenfranchised masses waiting to be called home, but I'm super curious to see how song juggling in extended fights works out--seems potentially cool.

Realistically I think we're going to end up with more advenures in rigid optimal comps. I don't know which yet but
I'm starting to think MNK has it worse than WHM now. Yeah they get miminal raid utility but they lost a lot of their personal damage

Guess Who

Banned
Interesting BRD tidbits:

1) Repelling Shot no longer does damage.

2) Shadowbind, Hawk's Eye, Quelling Strikes, Blunt Arrow, Flaming Arrow, and Wide Volley are all gone.

3) Foe's Req now reduces incoming damage, rather than increasing outgoing. Seems to be the only song that still functions like current songs (draining MP while in use). Guessing you're just expected to leave this on as much as possible, so it's basically a free 3% damage mitigation as long as the BRD has MP.

4) Crit is still gonna be god for bard in terms of gear speccing, clearly.

5) Empyreal Arrow will insta-trigger the song's additional effects.

6) Warden's Paean didn't get touched at all, lmao

7) Caustic and Storm Bite have much longer durations than Venom/Wind Bite (30s), so you don't have to worry about keeping them up nearly as much.

8) I'm guessing the ideal "rotation" for songs is Army's -> Wanderer's -> Mage's? Army's to build stacks, Wanderer's to let off hella Pitch Perfect with those stacks, Mage's to get your Bloodletter/RoD procs while you wait for Army's to come back off cooldown. Curious how persistent Army's stacks are.

Refulgent Arrow is a weaponskill, meaning BRDs get access to a 900 potency nuke

PogChamp

Oh god damn, I didn't even notice. I was wondering if anything would replace Empyreal Arrow as the go-to Barrage Buddy, but this is clearly it.

Omnicent

So basically SAM is "I don't care about buff to the pt, I'm just here to do my thing"?

And no positioning?

Interesting.

No, it has positionals (Gekko and Kasha).
It only affects Kenki generation though (5 vs 10). Basically every 3Sen you build 45-55 Kenki, so you basically can do x2 Kaitens (1 on 3Sen other on Gekko/Kasha) or Kaiten + Shinten.
If Kaiten is increase damage/ws potency by 50% and not 150% (I'm still torn between typo and sam needing big dps to make up for no raid utility) then you throw in a Guren at the start (mediate pre fight).

I mained a selfish MNK in 2.0 and 3.0, so it looks like I'll main a selfish SAM 4.0+. Thanks for the good times MNK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom