• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never hear of anyone else on here or reddit playing on Malboro but I always see people playing when I usually play (10pm-2am EST).

I feel like my server is dead when I don't hear from people playing but I see plenty of them when I play. I do wish I had more people to play with though.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm starting to get the hang of this and am now enjoying the game. I'm level 13 and getting stronger but my gear sure is ugly lol. I may start buying gear based on the appearance rather than it's attributes...

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm starting to get the hang of this and am now enjoying the game. I'm level 13 and getting stronger but my gear sure is ugly lol. I may start buying gear based on the appearance rather than it's attributes...
I wouldn't worry about it, you burn through lving gear really quickly the first time around and once you reach 50 you can change the appearance of any item with the appearance of any other item you have on hand.

There's no point in doing that until you're level 50 and you can start using glamour. When you're leveling you're going to have to be constantly swapping gear to keep your stats up. At least every 5 or so levels you'll need to completely revamp your wardrobe. Low levels don't have a while lot of gear options anyway.

suzu

Go do the Hall of the Novice stuff at the your starting city's adventurers' guild, when you reach level 15. You get a nice looking set of gear.

I just tried creating a new character and this time I was able to join Ultros! I'm a lancer this time. The first thing I plan to do is get back to the same progress point I was at yesterday. Also, I was able to get some better gear just through completing quests. Eventually I couldn't figure out how to advance the plot so just started doing random quests haha. I think I made it to level 8 before.
What's your name? I'm Marzipan Cupcake. I'll meet up the next time i'm on and you can also apply to the FC then.

As someone who often plays on Ultros at US night / EU morning / JP primetime, yeah the server is heaps quiet at that time: no party finders (or 2, tops), pretty empty towns, maybe 5-10 GAF FC people online either (semi) AFK or minding their own business... Duty Finder queues will vary a lot depending on the content in question - from 'reasonable' (0-30 min as DPS) to 'not worth it' (60 min or more).
Also, most maintenance is timed to end roughly 9am GMT which will not help.
Weekends are a bit more active than weekdays, though, and new seasonal events can attract a crowd even at those hours.

I realise I'm not selling this timeslot at all, haha. I swear it used to be less dead earlier in the game's life e.g. before EU servers existed.

Oh and yeah, you can forget about open world content (world boss FATEs, A- or S- rank hunts). Those spawns are pretty much wasted on those hours.

All that being said though, its an alright server. Just not optimal at those times.
Isn't DF cross server?

Heartfyre

Isn't DF cross server?

I was going to chime in on this point too. The Duty Finder draws people in from across the data centre. If it's slow for you, it's slow for everyone on Primal.

I really don't understand the Ultros criticism in here. If I'm on during the European morning, of course I expect it to be quiet. By the time I hit the daily reset, it's gotten much more active. Idyllshire takes ages to load on PS4 pretty much all the time with how active it is. When patches come out, the game frankly becomes overcrowded. Every stage of the quests gets hidden by groups of a hundred-ish people all trying to progress through the MSQ. I wouldn't turn anyone away from playing on Ultros, especially since you're not likely to get into Gilgamesh without paying for the transfer.

Squishy3

reminder: when quest npcs are overcrowded just hold x on your keyboard and every player character becomes unclickable

I hope next patch they don't add a new item to Void Ark that forces us to do it each week.
no you'll just need an item from every wing when the welfare upgrade items get added in 3.5

Apoptomon

Isn't DF cross server?
Well yeah, but still it part of Ultros experience, and it's fairly logical to expect that an NA datacenter (as a whole) would be more active around NA primetime, even though there's many people from all over the world on Primal servers. That post was just an anecdotal observation that nobody asked for about what it's like at night in a lull period, not about Ultros in general.

Don't know many of the other primal worlds but I remember Excalibur still being decently populated, though it kinda dies during late night. Same as Hyperion though I think Hyperion is a little busier than Excally...maybe not.

Celcius

°Temp. member
What's your name? I'm Marzipan Cupcake. I'll meet up the next time i'm on and you can also apply to the FC then.

Oh hey, it was cool to run into you in-game, first GAFer I've met. I also met some other nice people in game, seems like the game has a friendly community. In case I run into anyone else in game, my name is "Celcius Meijin". I can't join the company/ guild at the moment though as I'm under the free trial.
*note to self - remember to ask for the company reward code if I buy the full game*

Checked out the looking forward to it podcast after learning it was a thing today

I came for galen and I left wanting more. Are you a regular at this point? Jump in there more man!

I wish the sound mix wasn't so low. Also, time stamps for discussions as I care very little about 15 and just came for 14 talk.

rubius01

Checked out the looking forward to it podcast after learning it was a thing today

I came for galen and I left wanting more. Are you a regular at this point? Jump in there more man!

I wish the sound mix wasn't so low. Also, time stamps for discussions as I care very little about 15 and just came for 14 talk.

I didn't know the kopie brigade was still up and running

Celcius

°Temp. member
I completed Sastasha today as my first dungeon. That was fun!
edit: Just hit level 19 and the free trial only lets me go up to level 20. I guess the trial won't last me as long as I thought...

I wonder if Alex 9 will be anything like BCoB 9?

Since this is the last tier every fight's going to have to be amazing.

Wait are we getting 5 levels or just up to 12 for Alex?

The dungeons in this game are fun to go through more specifically the first time around.

It's why I want them to roll all the 60 dungeons into one roulette like they did with Heavensward.

I liked how you could queue for the max level roulette and have a huge pool of dungeons for it to pull from.

Now you just get one of two dungeons for your max level roulette.

Killthee

I completed Sastasha today as my first dungeon. That was fun!
edit: Just hit level 19 and the free trial only lets me go up to level 20. I guess the trial won't last me as long as I thought...
I think they bumped it up to lv 35 recently.

aceface

The dungeons in this game are fun to go through more specifically the first time around.

It's why I want them to roll all the 60 dungeons into one roulette like they did with Heavensward.

I liked how you could queue for the max level roulette and have a huge pool of dungeons for it to pull from.

Eh? Wasn't ex roulette always 3 dungeons before? (Now 2)

But we already have a level 60 roulette with all level 60 dungeons bar the latest two?

Expert roulette exists solely to help people get by the latest dungeons, of course you will only get the two latest dungeons.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think they bumped it up to lv 35 recently.

Apparently so, as I'm now level 21 :)
One thing I really like about this game is the music. From the main menu music to just wondering around town, I've yet to hear a song that I didn't like.

Killthee

Apparently so, as I'm now level 21 :)
One thing I really like about this game is the music. From the main menu music to just wondering around town, I've yet to hear a song that I didn't like.
Yeah the soundtrack is amazing. It's actually the only thing that go me through to lv 30 cause I pretty much hated the game till I got my job stone but the soundtrack was just so good I couldn't stop without hearing more of it.

I don't expect to finish my relic by 3.4 but I'll be ready and caught up for 3.45
How active is Behemoth right now? It's my original server and I just recently started playing again.
One of the most active NA servers after Greg and Balmung

Good amount of PF activity at peak hours and a decent raiding community. Just don't expect a good economy because we are overcharging/undercutting assholes.

Wilsongt

I probably won't finish the YoKai event unless I nolife it afterwork until October. People are averaging 600 - 800 fates, which translates to 1000 - 1400 in rng terms for me.

I've only got 5 weapons. :(

Frumix

Suffering From Success
FF14 could really use its own equivalent of Mythic dungeons even if they don't exactly fit into carebear Yoshi's world view. Stuff's fun.

ebil

FF14 could really use its own equivalent of Mythic dungeons even if they don't exactly fit into carebear Yoshi's world view. Stuff's fun.
It's nice that WoW has finally figured out that relevant progression can exist besides raiding, and hopefully FF14 will copy it because it would work wonderfully and fill a big gap there.

Besides, you can't do Mythic/+ dungeons with the LFG tool and have to go with a premade, there's no reason such a system wouldn't be a good fit for FF14.

I want good alternatives to Savage progression so bad.

Valor

Ha. I thought that I talk too much as it is. Yeah I'm pretty much a regular at this point it seems.

Redx508

Are you not hype for the jrpg of the generation 10 years in the making. No way its going be bad lol jk

ill ask grimm about the time stamps

Ha. I thought that I talk too much as it is. Yeah I'm pretty much a regular at this point it seems.

In my jumping around in 4 episodes, I mostly got alot of Tony and Korra on 14 talk. Again, I skipped alot of 15 and kingsglaive thoughts because no thank you, so I may have skipped most of you.

Are you not hype for the jrpg of the generation 10 years in the making. No way its going be bad lol jk

ill ask grimm about the time stamps

Cool. My hype relationship with that game is one big meh.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I didn't expect an MMO to have so much of a story but I'm pleasantly surprised. I always thought it would be "complete so many quests and then a story related quest and a cutscene appear", but it's got a bonafide full-length story.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Well my sub ends today and I ended it with getting my warrior to 35 and capping lore.
See you all next patch, maybe , i dont know.

Teknoman

I didn't expect an MMO to have so much of a story but I'm pleasantly surprised. I always thought it would be "complete so many quests and then a story related quest and a cutscene appear", but it's got a bonafide full-length story.

Thats one thing about the FF MMOs. FFXI and FFXIV storylines have been more of what you'd expect from Final Fantasy than the majority of the modern entries.

Dargor

Hello comrades, everyone alright?

So, I'm thinking about starting playing FF XIV, but I wanted to ask you guys some questions first.

First off, do I need to get the expansion in order to play the game or I can play with just the basic version? I'm asking this cuz I'm not sure I want to expend money on it without making sure I enjoy the game enough to invest more into it.

I know this is also a sub based MMO, so that probably won't be a problem lol.

And which is a good starting class for someone who never played a FF MMORPGs before?

Played enough of the RPGs, but none of the mmo.

Thansk for the help :).

Hello comrades, everyone alright?

So, I'm thinking about starting playing FF XIV, but I wanted to ask you guys some questions first.

First off, do I need to get the expansion in order to play the game or I can play with just the basic version? I'm asking this cuz I'm not sure I want to expend money on it without making sure I enjoy the game enough to invest more into it.

You can start playing XIV just fine with the base game. Heavensward only comes into play once you hit level 50; you have to buy it to raise the level cap to 60 and, of course, to get the new story/areas/etc. once you complete the 2.55 patch storyline.

I know this is also a sub based MMO, so that probably won't be a problem lol.

And which is a good starting class for someone who never played a FF MMORPGs before?

Played enough of the RPGs, but none of the mmo.

I hadn't played any MMO before XIV either. I chose Lancer for my starting class, and that's been a pretty good choice. In general I'd say you want to start with a DPS class; tanks and healers play a more pivotal role when you're doing group dungeons, so they're probably better saved for after you've got a feel for how the general mechanics work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom