• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A healer that doesn't die when getting focused is a healer outplaying the DPS/DPS messing up their burst/getting lucky or all of the above. People shouldn't die just because they are getting focused.
I disagree. If the numbers are so out of whack that a healer can out heal 4-5 DPS's worth of focus, that's fucked up. Why not just run 4 healers and 4 tanks and attrition the other side to oblivion?

Attrition based PVP is fun for nobody.
Yes this makes me mad. You say "outplay". I say, "the seesaw of damage/healing is balanced poorly". A single player shouldn't be able to negate 4-5. It is, literally, as mathematical values, unbalanced. It would make me just as mad if a DPS could dish out damage that overcomes 5 healers. I wouldn't applaud the DPS for "outplaying" those hypothetical healers either.

I'm of the opinion that healers should, at most, be able to heal 150% of a standard DPS's sustained damage given equal gear and skill. This means any healer can hold their own against one DPS, but two DPS require careful play from both sides, and three DPS necessitates the healer's team to provide support. This is a ratio that fairly draws in the entire team as the number of healers, damage dealers, and peelers increase in a conflict and organization becomes a priority.

Ideally, however, I would prefer a healing ratio of 50-80% of DPS, and I'm against unlimited healing. Battlerite, an arena PVP game has the best damage/healer balance I've encountered in a PVP game. In Battlerite, any damage over a certain threshold reduces the max HP of a target, so that they can't be healed forever. This promotes target switching, focusing, lockdown, and various other strategies that lead to highly tactical gameplay.

Of course this system is untenable for anything greater than 4v4 so is not strictly applicable to FFXIV's balance; it's just to illustrate my perspective. Because otherwise what winds up happening is two teams go in, trade shots, if no one dies, the optimal play, for both sides, is to withdraw and heal up. There is no rational reason for anyone to die at all, once healing reaches a certain advantage over damage; only flawed/imperfect play leads to deaths.

And this is bad PVP, in my opinion. Waiting for someone to mess up is strictly inferior, as gameplay, to proactively advancing some victory condition.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
After a full Axe run in Nioh, I feel like leveling my WAR to 60. I'll probably finish up my MNK first, because Stormblood, but WAR is definitely going to be next.

After a full Axe run in Nioh, I feel like leveling my WAR to 60. I'll probably finish up my MNK first, because Stormblood, but WAR is definitely going to be next.

The real question is why aren't people always Leveling WAR first? Best damn tank in the game and super fun. I dunno why but WAR is always super fun for me. Fell Cleave!

Haly

WAR AF looked bad so I went PLD.

PLD is boring tho.

ebil

I'm leveling DRK as my first tank right now.

Don't do this.
Why? Is it because of MP management? Lots of short CDs to manage? I actually think DRK feels relatively complete early on as a tank, and is super easy for AoE tanking low level dungeons.

I'm just curious.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Why? Is it because of MP management? Lots of short CDs to manage? I actually think DRK feels relatively complete early on as a tank, and is super easy for AoE tanking low level dungeons.

I'm just curious.

I mean, for one, just as a learning experience, it feels like trying to learn to swim by jumping in the deep end of the pool. That 1-30 experience is really valuable when you're learning a role for the first time. Especially one with as much responsibility as tank. Not having that has made running roulettes a lot more tense for me. I'm never quite sure I'm doing things right. And by Lv. 30, there's an expectation there that you know what you're doing in your role. And I'm sure most people don't look at, say, a Lv. 30-40 DRK and actually consider that they may still be learning the ropes.

And besides that, there's at least a couple cross-class skills that I feel like I'd be doing a lot better if I had.

scy

And by Lv. 30, there's an expectation there that you know what you're doing in your role. And I'm sure most people don't look at, say, a Lv. 30-40 DRK and actually consider that they may still be learning the ropes.

I don't even assume people with Savage clears know what they're doing in their role tbh.

Heavensward launch squashed a lot of the expecting people to know things when it came to DRK.

And besides that, there's at least a couple cross-class skills that I feel like I'd be doing a lot better if I had.

If you have Provoke (and I guess Convalescence but that's a given if you have Provoke), it's fine really. The rest you can slot in more eventually.

ebil

I mean, for one, just as a learning experience, it feels like trying to learn to swim by jumping in the deep end of the pool. That 1-30 experience is really valuable when you're learning a role for the first time. Especially one with as much responsibility as tank. Not having that has made running roulettes a lot more tense for me. I'm never quite sure I'm doing things right. And by Lv. 30, there's an expectation there that you know what you're doing in your role. And I'm sure most people don't look at, say, a Lv. 30-40 DRK and actually consider that they may still be learning the ropes.

I think your perspective is interesting. Sub lv30 dungeons can be challenging for newer tanks because you don't have your tank stance yet. It's actually especially difficult for Paladins, who don't get their tank stance before level 40 (which I hope will be changed down the line because it's silly).

DRK on the other hand comes at level 30 with a tank stance, several cooldowns and I think is pretty functional right off the bat (with a bit of awkwardness in regards to MP management between level 30 and learning Blood Price). Honestly just playing GLA long enough to learn Provoke should be more than enough experience to play low level DRK, but yeah, I wouldn't play a tank class without Provoke even if you can get by without it.

I wouldn't worry too much about being inexperienced. In my experience people mostly suck/are learning in leveling dungeons so as long as you don't overpull, make sure to face mobs/bosses away from the group, and pop a cooldown while tanking trash mobs you should be perfectly fine.

Squishy3

I watched a BLM in full i270 never use quelling strikes in my expert roulette the other day, so he pulled the boss off the tank repeatedly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Among the three tanks I'd say Warrior is the best for new players to play.

People say that Paladin is easy to learn but there's nothing really so complicated about Warrior that you wouldn't be able to get the hang of while leveling plus I'd say its attacks feel meatier/more satisfying and its tank stances are easier to switch between due to being oGCD.

I personally use Paladin the most but that's only because my like for sword and board is so strong that it even overrides things like what's fun to actually use.

ebil

I'm a terrible BLM, so I never expect to pull hate and forget Quelling Strikes every now and then. Raid bosses tend to quickly remind me that Quelling Strikes is life. :(

Among the three tanks I'd say Warrior is the best for new players to play.

People say that Paladin is easy to learn but there's nothing really so complicated about Warrior that you wouldn't be able to get the hang of while leveling plus I'd say its attacks feel meatier/more satisfying and its tank stances are easier to switch between due to being oGCD.

I personally use Paladin the most but that's only because my like for sword and board is so strong that it even overrides things like what's fun to actually use.
I never had a leveling experience with 2.0 Warrior but I agree it's probably the most beginner-friendly, simply because it's so strong and flows really well.

So which job is going to have the best job storyline in Stormblood? From the ones I've done so far Dark Knight had the most interesting quests due to Frey.

I'm a terrible BLM, so I never expect to pull hate and forget Quelling Strikes every now and then. Raid bosses tend to quickly remind me that Quelling Strikes is life. :(

I never had a leveling experience with 2.0 Warrior but I agree it's probably the most beginner-friendly, simply because it's so strong and flows really well.

Warrior also get their tank stance at 30 instead of 40 like Paladin. I've heard tons of stories of people having trouble with retaining aggro around that level range on Paladin.

If Samurai is the next tank then this question will become pointless though because no one is going to care which tank is easy or hard when they can be a Samurai :p

Squishy3

I think the nice thing about there being no tank stance on paladin until 40 is if you learn to keep aggro pre-shield oath there's no excuse (outside of being undergeared/gear broken) that you can't hold aggro post shield oath since it's just handed to you on a silver platter afterwards.

Haly

Huh, people talking about FFXIV's PvP like it's serious business in this thread.

Metal horsies are serious business, and anything that makes getting horsies harder is, transitively, also serious business.

TRqm1vM.jpg
Fuck yeah demon fighting horse.

My horse can FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

kagamin

Ah god, spent hours trying to get help from my FC to beat T9, our group of 6 decided to take a break and do Dun Scaith instead, then we did it on the first try after that, simply ridiculous.

Not really lol. If i saw a level 30~ DK not doing a great job, I'd be more likely to assume they don't have much experience tanking. And if you let people know ahead of time that you're new at the role, they'll be more aware and try not to make it too rough for you.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, when are we going to be able to turn in those vouchers for the Tidus/Yuna gear? Thought it was supposed to be after last fanfest.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, when are we going to be able to turn in those vouchers for the Tidus/Yuna gear? Thought it was supposed to be after last fanfest.

Its after THE last fanfest. =)

I really wanted to make my own set of Ironworks gear, but I wonder if I'm just late to the party on this one. =x Still working on the scrips to get all the books. Not too many left now.

draw4wild

Finally got back into the game this weekend. Almost got all my stuff sold from the server transfer, still just waiting on like 4 star velvet prices to sell (I think I singlehandledy brought the price of the tabard of scouting down 1 million Gil just from all the undercutters).

I rolled a ninja and having fun so far. I keep getting Satasha in leveling roulette so it's just doing the same 2 skills over and over. Just the fact I can have my chocobo out and grind fates and leves while waiting for duty finder makes me so happy. I haven't played since the ramuh patch so I still have like 100 msq before I can roll a machinist.

I'm still having trouble targeting though. Is there a way to filter it on PS4 so up/down on the dpad targets party members and left/right ignores party members? It keeps taking me too long to target mobs while I cycle through the party members and the fact I have no aoe at all at low levels makes me feel I'm slacking

Jeels

Finished the 2.5a story

I don't believe someone's dead in this game anymore
lol

but man this story just never lets up. so consistently good. Ala Mhigo will be so much fun!

I'm still having trouble targeting though. Is there a way to filter it on PS4 so up/down on the dpad targets party members and left/right ignores party members? It keeps taking me too long to target mobs while I cycle through the party members and the fact I have no aoe at all at low levels makes me feel I'm slacking
Maybe there's a way to do exactly what you want, but for me the dpad up and down with nothing else pressed cycles exclusively through party members while holding L2 or R2 and pressing L1 or R1 cycles exclusively through enemies.

iammeiam

You can also set sheathed and unsheathed Target Filters somewhere in settings. I have unsheathed set to enemies only, and in the filter I uncheck NPCs and party members. So weapon sheathed = left and right scroll through everything on screen; weapon drawn left and right skips NPCs and party members. In both cases up and down scroll the party list.

I think L1 and R1 might move the hard target? And sometimes I just want to left and right to soft target and drop a DoT then have my target revert to the thing I was hitting before. By it's been a while since I tried the r1/l1 tab target.

draw4wild

Thanks, I think part of the problem is I'm holding r2/l2 95% of the time for abilities. I'll try the r1/l1 and the sheathed/unsheathed filters. I think it's really just working my muscle memory back up to snuff tho

Maybe there's a way to do exactly what you want, but for me the dpad up and down with nothing else pressed cycles exclusively through party members while holding L2 or R2 and pressing L1 or R1 cycles exclusively through enemies.

I do this to heal on controller and never had any issues with the higher end content.

B.K.

Does anyone know of any good, up to date guides for the most efficient way to level crafting and gathering classes?

My friend and I applied for the guild. I swear we're not bad hombres.

I really need to do that. It's been over a month and I still haven't joined a Free Company yet.

Does anyone know of any good, up to date guides for the most efficient way to level crafting and gathering classes?
For Miner and Botanist, grab Company manuals and spam levequests with these two plates until you hit 60. Don't forget to upgrade your gear constantly and do your daily GC delivery and you'll cap out in no time.

dramatis

For Miner and Botanist, grab Company manuals and spam levequests with these two plates until you hit 60. Don't forget to upgrade your gear constantly and do your daily GC delivery and you'll cap out in no time.
Levequests only until you hit 50.

50+ is easier done with collectables.

Jolkien

Quick question guys I'm trying to catch up to the MSQ and I need to run an instance requiring ilvl 200 but I'm only up to 186 before the long break I took. Any pointers as to the most efficient way to get my gear past that bar ?

I ran void ark which drop ilvl 200, but I assume I can't chain run it and it's only once per week ?

Quick question guys I'm trying to catch up to the MSQ and I need to run an instance requiring ilvl 200 but I'm only up to 186 before the long break I took. Any pointers as to the most efficient way to get my gear past that bar ?

I ran void ark which drop ilvl 200, but I assume I can't chain run it and it's only once per week ?
No you can do VA as much as you want. You can do some hunts for the i200 AF as well.

Jolkien

No you can do VA as much as you want. You can do some hunts for the i200 AF as well.

Can you remind me what are the hunts ? The one on the board near the bar in Ishgard ? If it's those I remember using a website to quickly track the monsters to kill but I can't seems to recall what the website was.

Squishy3

Easiest methods of gearing up would be: Void Ark drops i200, yeah, and it's uncapped loot. You'll earn Lore and Scripture while doing it too, which will let you buy i230 and i260 armor respectively. Once you hit 205 I'd recommend switching to farming Weeping City for drops.

You can do Palace of the Dead until you get 30/30 aetherpool weapon/armor and trade that in for a i235 weapon, which you can then upgrade to a 255 weapon by getting to 60/60 aetherpool stats. This is the easiest way of getting a weapon that'll carry you through to Stormblood currently.

Additionally, look up all the dungeons that are in Level 60 roulette and go about unlocking them and doing them. Two of them (Hullbreaker hard and Pharos Sirius hard) require beating the level 50 versions to access the hard mode, while the rest are all just sidequests or unlocked by following the main scenario, you'll get a fair amount of Lore from first time bonuses and it adds up quickly. You can also do the leveling roulette and trial roulette on your level 60 character to get 160 Lore a day between the two of them as well.

Can you remind me what are the hunts ? The one on the board near the bar in Ishgard ? If it's those I remember using a website to quickly track the monsters to kill but I can't seems to recall what the website was.
http://www.ffxivhuntspath.co.uk/

You put in all the mobs that are on your bills and then it maps out a location for each zone that takes you to each mob. Only one it won't do that for is the weekly B rank.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Are you kidding me with this MSQ progression, S-E? :lol Have to stop MSQ at 55 to grind to 56. Get to 56, and like six quests later (all fetch quests, of course), immediately hit the Lv. 57 wall.

It's like I get out of grinding hell only to go right back in grinding hell. :lol

B.K.

Are you kidding me with this MSQ progression, S-E? :lol Have to stop MSQ at 55 to grind to 56. Get to 56, and like six quests later (all fetch quests, of course), immediately hit the Lv. 57 wall.

It's like I get out of grinding hell only to go right back in grinding hell. :lol

There's more of that? I hated getting stuck in the 2.0 story when I had to gain a couple levels every three or four quests. I think I'm in the 2.4 story now. I'm at 53 and I'm going to try to get to 60 before I even start Heavensward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom