• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberz1

Got arcanist to 30, unlocked scholar. Liking it so far, I enjoy throwing up dots while micro managing my fairy. Also I now get all the complaints about cleric stance dancing and accidentally turning it back on -_-;.

Not sure If I'm going to swap to it from tank though. Been having a lot of fun on DRK... I'll continue trying it out anyways.

I can't wait to find out what the new stormblood abilities are going to be. Probably the thing I'm most excited for.

Thing is that just changes to the old abilities shouldn't be considered on their own.

It's likely that some jobs will change heavily with both the alterations to old abilities and all the new ones from 60-70.

Jobs like Summoner and Dragoon changed quite a bit in Heavensward with their new additions while others not so much in terms of rotation (Monk).

There's probably zero percent chance of it happening but it would be funny if somehow Paladin became the most fun/interesting tank to play in SB.

The current three tank jobs will share the same abilities. By introducing defense abilities such as physical damage resistance 20% up into role shared abilities, in their stead, we can create new unique abilities for jobs. You might think it will become easier, but the matter of fact is that it won’t. We will remove useless parts in order to strengthen party cooperation and skill rotation. By making the system simpler, we can go much deeper with the battle system. But, we don’t plan to widen the gap among players because of player skill, so I think that the gap will be somewhat filled between casuals and hardcore players. However, you will see a gap open between intermediate and advance players.

Upon further reading I'm getting the impression that they're making the basic percent increases/decreases cross role now. Damage up/down abilities were mentioned for DPS as well.

IF things like slashing/piercing/etc debuffs are included in this then that means jobs that didn't have them before will have more options now. So a PLD could decide to put up STR/INT down and slashing depending on the situation/particular encounter. In return those new spaces will be feature more unique abilities.

May can't come soon enough.

Luigi87

I've fought Titan (normal, as I'm only there in the story, lol) four times today in order to practice being a healer (SCH). I'm feeling like Eos is better suited for that particular fight than Selene though?

yunbuns

Code:
][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sZQhVaj.jpg[/IMG]

Finally did the Little Ladies Day event and it was fun seeing everyone out randomly dancing. The outfit is different from my characters usual aesthetic but it's fun.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
3.5 spoilers below

Looks like the
outfit that Tataru measures for you is featured in the artbook, or at least a WIP version if it not the final one that will be in the game.
Oh I didn't realize we're
joining a magic high school.

Or were the Scions the magic high school all along???

Oh I didn't realize we're
joining a magic high school.

Or were the Scions the magic high school all along???

That's how
we're getting into Kugane.

Will infiltrate as a transfer student.

Complete with an intro where the teacher introduces you to the class and you have to say a few things about yourself from some dialogue options.

B.K.

I'm up to the final Heavensward mission. I just need to get 800k experience before I can do it. Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow night and start on the filler quests that follow.

Kenai

Geez that's lame. I guess I'll just leave it at 15 then for now.

I personally think it does get more interesting. I hated leveling fishing (literally fell asleep leveling it through the 30s) and now it's my fav Gatherer.

In the 2.0 area you can start Mooching, which is using HQ fish that you just caught as bait for something else.

This kind of sounds like an rng nightmare (and it was, literally lotto fishing) but in the HW levels you finally get skills to use your GP to help mooch easier by increasing the HQ chance of the fish you hook, or reducing the time before they bite.

If that sounds like something interesting I'd stick with it. Pretty easy to level too.

If we're strictly talking about healer toolkit balance, it is mostly fine as is. WHM is still a really strong healer, it's the silly Balance (the card) buff coupled with Creator's encounter design where nothing really matters that pushed it out of favor. AST and WHM were well-balanced in Midas already before the huge Balance buff, but that raid had actual damage that needed to be healed, you couldn't take a boss from 25% to 0% with 2 dead healers. WHM and AST had their own benefits with no clear winner most of the time. And I feel like AST and SCH are now mostly balanced as shield healers. Once against, they each have their benefits and this is a good thing.

They need to either dial Balance back (preferably, as it understandably made fflogs addicts unhappy), or they need to give WHM something to compensate (but that's more power creep and it is not something this game needs). Hopefully they differentiate the healers more though because they play too similarly and it's boring.

I do think AST Balance needs nerfed. i also don't think any raid comp has every seriously considered a AST/WHM comp on par with AST/SCH comp since the buff, and they'd be right. Prior to that, it was WHM/SCH being de-facto, so SCH might need to be balanced (sic) with Nocturnal Sect in mind, same way Diurnal is balanced with WHM in mind.I also think that SCH's one 'real" weakness (AoE healing) was removed in HW. Unless you count not stacking with Noct shields a weakness.

I do think Noct Stance issues are exactly the kind of thing that an expansion (and new skills) could fix without too much hassle though, since the Sects only have two skill differences. But I'm not sure that will be enough to put it on par with SCH. I'd like to think so, but I doubt it based on what we know (admittedly not very much at all). Only SCH can commit to healing/using CDs while DPSing (or being otherwise preoccupied) like it does, and frankly I'm not sure what to do about that. That's far too valuable a niche to leave alone, but pretty hard to replicate with the kits of the other healers.

questions

1. How do you know which dungeons/raid have a weekly cap on loot? Is there anything in the game that shows it, before you do the raid? I did Dun Scaith, and only after I did it, did the UI display that I had two out of the three weekly rewards.

2. Those weekly caps, do they include every piece of loot in the raid (such as armour, minions or cards), or only armour pieces?

thanks

Luigi87

Felt better about my first time Titan in which I fell off the field this morning.

Have been replaying Titan just to get a better handle on SCH as healer, and I ended up with three first timers.
... The results were hilarious.

aceface

questions

1. How do you know which dungeons/raid have a weekly cap on loot? Is there anything in the game that shows it, before you do the raid? I did Dun Scaith, and only after I did it, did the UI display that I had two out of the three weekly rewards.

2. Those weekly caps, do they include every piece of loot in the raid (such as armour, minions or cards), or only armour pieces?

thanks

In Dun Scaith, there's two rewards you automatically get for beating the raid: Mhachi Shilling and Mhachi Matter. They just automatically go into your inventory after you beat the last boss. However, you can only get one of each per week so if you did Dun Scaith again you wouldn't get another Shilling and Matter. That's what that message was telling you.

Dun Scaith also has a loot restriction- you can only get one piece of gear from it per week as well. For that I believe a warning window comes up before you roll on any gear to let you know.

Those restrictions only apply to the shilling/matter/gear from Dun Scaith though. You can roll on the cards/minons/crafting mats that drop at the end as many times as you want.

At this point only Dun Scaith and Alexander Creator (savage) have loot restrictions. Unless I'm forgetting something.

Squishy3

In Dun Scaith, there's two rewards you automatically get for beating the raid: Mhachi Shilling and Mhachi Matter. They just automatically go into your inventory after you beat the last boss. However, you can only get one of each per week so if you did Dun Scaith again you wouldn't get another Shilling and Matter. That's what that message was telling you.

Dun Scaith also has a loot restriction- you can only get one piece of gear from it per week as well. For that I believe a warning window comes up before you roll on any gear to let you know.

Those restrictions only apply to the shilling/matter/gear from Dun Scaith though. You can roll on the cards/minons/crafting mats that drop at the end as many times as you want.

At this point only Dun Scaith and Alexander Creator (savage) have loot restrictions. Unless I'm forgetting something.
Creator normal still has a lockout on the gear obtained after beating A12, but that's it. (That'll probably get removed in 3.55b?)

At this point I wonder if they'll just delay Diadem 2.0 to launch with 3.56 since it's already March.

I'm up to the final Heavensward mission. I just need to get 800k experience before I can do it. Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow night and start on the filler quests that follow.

Word of advice, go into the final trial (The Singularity Reactor) completely blind. Don't look up any videos or guides for it. You won't need them anyways as its a very standard fight and its one of the best encounters in a FF game you'll ever see, so don't spoil yourself.

MogCakes

Stoneskin needs a buff on par with what happened to Balance. Defensive utility in general is worth a fraction of any possible DPS gains though. That's just how the meta in this game works, for better or worse. More DPS > More Survivability.

B.K.

Finally hit 60! I took my AF2 and had it repaired and went from ilevel136 to 210. Hopefully I can finish the last dungeon and trial tomorrow.

Lanrutcon

I am really getting into the MCH job. More I play it, the more I feel it's a hell of a lot more satisfying than my Bard. It could use a little skill cleaning, cooler gun animations (rifle!) and some turret model variations, but otherwise it's hella fun and the burst dps is great in small fights.

Word of advice, go into the final trial (The Singularity Reactor) completely blind. Don't look up any videos or guides for it. You won't need them anyways as its a very standard fight and its one of the best encounters in a FF game you'll ever see, so don't spoil yourself.

+1/Infinity.

Did it yesterday and jaw hit the proverbial floor. Stormblood has its work cut out..

kagamin

Damn, that was probably one of the most fun fights I've done in the game:
ci5gBnR.png

TheChaos0

I just surpassed my lvl 42 dragoon with my lvl 43 warrior and can finally get back to the story missions. I kinda wanna get to 45 first to get the warrior gear from the next job mission though.

I'm really close to resuming MSQ. My last one was around 42? Then I fated all the way to, so I could actually do MSQ in one go then FFXIV fell off my radar until now.

ebil

I personally think it does get more interesting. I hated leveling fishing (literally fell asleep leveling it through the 30s) and now it's my fav Gatherer.

In the 2.0 area you can start Mooching, which is using HQ fish that you just caught as bait for something else.

This kind of sounds like an rng nightmare (and it was, literally lotto fishing) but in the HW levels you finally get skills to use your GP to help mooch easier by increasing the HQ chance of the fish you hook, or reducing the time before they bite.

If that sounds like something interesting I'd stick with it. Pretty easy to level too.

I do think AST Balance needs nerfed. i also don't think any raid comp has every seriously considered a AST/WHM comp on par with AST/SCH comp since the buff, and they'd be right. Prior to that, it was WHM/SCH being de-facto, so SCH might need to be balanced (sic) with Nocturnal Sect in mind, same way Diurnal is balanced with WHM in mind.I also think that SCH's one 'real" weakness (AoE healing) was removed in HW. Unless you count not stacking with Noct shields a weakness.

I do think Noct Stance issues are exactly the kind of thing that an expansion (and new skills) could fix without too much hassle though, since the Sects only have two skill differences. But I'm not sure that will be enough to put it on par with SCH. I'd like to think so, but I doubt it based on what we know (admittedly not very much at all). Only SCH can commit to healing/using CDs while DPSing (or being otherwise preoccupied) like it does, and frankly I'm not sure what to do about that. That's far too valuable a niche to leave alone, but pretty hard to replicate with the kits of the other healers.
Once again, it is not because WHM has bad mitigation tools (it does but that is besides the point) or because N.AST is inferior to SCH in terms of defensive utility (it's not but it's arguably less versatile with its CDs), it is purely because you would be silly not to have an AST and a SCH for DPS reasons.

Even with a 18% AOE Stoneskin you wouldn't take WHM+AST over SCH+AST in the current set of raids. Defensive utility (including healing throughput) simply is irrelevant right now, and will forever be irrelevant when you start outgearing the content. That's a fact with these games. In WoW you would start removing healers after a point, thankfully in this game we can DPS a fair amount and raid structure is different so we're rarely phased out completely.

MNK does the most personal DPS, yet it is still considered sub-optimal because it doesn't bring rDPS and nobody needs mantra. It's the same situation with healers right now, leading to WHM sitting on the bench.

Necrovex

Since I haven't started my subscription yet, would any Gaffer be interested in shooting me a Recruit a Friend code? I'm going to get an entry subs and finally give this game a proper chance on my shiny new Pc.

IvorB

From a rotation standpoint, BLM is just as braindead to play now as it was at 50, the only difference is that you need to map out an extra buff through a fight. Raising the skill floor won't make good BLMs worse, it'll just make bad BLMs less bad.

Thunder is simple, Thunder 1 will do the same damage as T3 so all it changes is which button you press for the proc.

Well, you honestly must have been playing a different level 50 BLM if you think they are even in the same ballpark of complexity. For the sake of making bad BLM better they make the job more boring over all but I guess we will see.

Also my issue with the Thunder is about mana use and cast time. Thunder 1 and 3 are quite different in this regard so how will that work.

Well, you honestly must have been playing a different level 50 BLM if you think they are even in the same ballpark of complexity. For the sake of making bad BLM better they make the job more boring over all but I guess we will see.

Also my issue with the Thunder is about mana use and cast time. Thunder 1 and 3 are quite different in this regard so how will that work.
2 extra buttons in a 4 button rotation does not complexity make. How does Enoch not falling off but having a bonus if you play optimally make the job more boring?

T3 has no mana cost or cast time in practice because you will never really hardcast it outside of some obsolete openers. It is simply a Thunder proc button, all it's gonna change is that instead of using T3 for procs you just save one button in your hotbar and press your traited T1 for the same effect. T1 will still have the same cast time and cost, it'll just do more damage.

Well, I'm finally without a static now and I'm very happy because they were holding me back from clearing the turns early in the week. Now I can just clear at my own leisure which puts me in a much better position. But yeah maybe worth mentioning.... if someone wants to recruit an AST i'm 270 W maxed 275 relic and been to sub 5 percent on a12s. My times are flexible I guess but the weekends would be best. Send me a pm if interested :D

PS: I can also blm but I'm admittedly unfamiliar with the mechanics of 12s as a dps therefore it may take some learning.

IvorB

2 extra buttons in a 4 button rotation does not complexity make. How does Enoch not falling off but having a bonus if you play optimally make the job more boring?

T3 has no mana cost or cast time in practice because you will never really hardcast it outside of some obsolete openers. It is simply a Thunder proc button, all it's gonna change is that instead of using T3 for procs you just save one button in your hotbar and press your traited T1 for the same effect. T1 will still have the same cast time and cost, it'll just do more damage.

Well, I don't know how you think just casting Fire 1 continuously with a flare here and there is the same as level 60 BLM keeping Enochian up, optimal use of Ley Lines, Sharpchast etc in a hectic fight. But if that's your belief then whatever I guess.

That was the point I was getting at with the Thunder thing: you never hardcast Thunder 3. So are you saying Thunder spell will have the cast time and mana use of a Thunder 1 but will do Thunder 3 damage? Because to me it sounded like if you are level 4 and cast Thunder you will get a Thunder 1 but if you are level 60 you will get a Thunder 3 automatically but I may be wrong.

Well, I don't know how you think just casting Fire 1 continuously with a flare here and there is the same as level 60 BLM keeping Enochian up, optimal use of Ley Lines, Sharpchast etc in a hectic fight. But if that's your belief then whatever I guess.

That was the point I was getting at with the Thunder thing: you never hardcast Thunder 3. So are you saying Thunder spell will have the cast time and mana use of a Thunder 1 but will do Thunder 3 damage? Because to me it sounded like if you are level 4 and cast Thunder you will get a Thunder 1 but if you are level 60 you will get a Thunder 3 automatically but I may be wrong.
I am talking strictly rotations. BLM's complexity does not come from being able to cast F4, but when you cast, dodge, slidecast, proc reactions, optimize cooldowns and so on. My point is: Enochian having a safety net will change nothing about what makes BLM fun or hard to master.

On the Thunder thing, what is likely to happen is that you'll have Thunder, then at the level you'd get T2 you instead get a trait that upgrades Thunder to do more damage and the same thing with T3. Cast times and mana remains the same, at worst Thunder keeps the same damage but does more damage when proc'd.

Arkeband

Banned
Do we finally get our own scion robe? That would be neat

The only downside to this is, with the glamour system still as cumbersome as it currently is, only roleplayers will bother with this - it'll be too annoying to be glamouring it onto every piece of leveling gear. In addition, it removes the visual identity of the job you're set as, which flavors cutscenes and makes them feel a bit more unique.

IvorB

I am talking strictly rotations. BLM's complexity does not come from being able to cast F4, but when you cast, dodge, slidecast, proc reactions, optimize cooldowns and so on. My point is: Enochian having a safety net will change nothing about what makes BLM fun or hard to master.

On the Thunder thing, what is likely to happen is that you'll have Thunder, then at the level you'd get T2 you instead get a trait that upgrades Thunder to do more damage and the same thing with T3. Cast times and mana remains the same, at worst Thunder keeps the same damage but does more damage when proc'd.

But it removes the risk. Before you had the risk of losing Fire IV completely if you screwed up. That heightened the stakes and made things far more interesting for me personally. Anyway, that's just me. We will see what they come up with I guess. It could make more sense with the other skills they add.

What I am getting at with the Thunder thing is: at level 60 you want a quick casting, low mana Thunder spell to put the dot up and you want the full Thunder 3 for the Thundercloud. How will the game know which one you want at each point? I don't think you would be able to switch traits on the fly in a fight. Maybe they will just modify the Thundercloud effect as you said and give a basic Thunder spell to cast because giving a fast casting, low mana Thunderspell that does the damage of Thunder 3 would be a big buff. Not that I would complain about that...

draw4wild

I need some help. While I level to 60 I'm trying to make sure I do all the daily hunts I'm able to so I'm closer to af2. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to the NW section of Dravanian Forelands, north of the Anyx Trine crystal. I need to get up there for hunts and the churning mists zonein but every path I take ends at the bottom of a cliff. I tried going west from chocobo forest too but always the same result

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I need some help. While I level to 60 I'm trying to make sure I do all the daily hunts I'm able to so I'm closer to af2. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to the NW section of Dravanian Forelands, north of the Anyx Trine crystal. I need to get up there for hunts and the churning mists zonein but every path I take ends at the bottom of a cliff. I tried going west from chocobo forest too but always the same result
It's a cave. Climb up the Anyx Trine tower (to the second floor?) and exit to the bridge that connects the tower to the cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom