• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

the weapon drop rate is 0.1%? shieet
guess i'll just get it for glamour i guess, i doubt i'd be lucky enough to get something with good stat rolls

This doesn't even include the amount of time it takes to actually get the fight to spawn. It seems like it comes once an hour and only when the weather is Hyperconductive. I mean yeah it's a 280 weapon but like you said by time you actually get a good one it's almost not worth it.

Squishy3

emergency mission is cancer, thanks FFXIV community for yelling at people not following directions on the thing that's less than 24 hours old when 20 people are all yelling different things

Cmagus

emergency mission is cancer, thanks FFXIV community for yelling at people not following directions on the thing that's less than 24 hours old when 20 people are all yelling different things
Pretty common in this game at this point. They really should have made each group an alliance like the 24 man raids, it would have been easier for marking and coordination. It also doesnt help that there is only 15 minutes so there is little time to wait or explain. We had 3 decent groups and cleared with just 3 minutes left.I kind of wish they would have started the timer when the first wall enemy is pulled.

Squishy3

the i280 is srz bizness yo.
lmao i'd never put up with this for a chance at an i280

the idea of the emergency mission alone is even worse, tanks still can't properly do their jobs in weeping city which came out almost a year ago, and don't even get me started on bone dragon and platinals in labyrinth of the ancients

Salt level is strong in this patch. Stopped caring about gear since patch 2.3 but I find it funny how players are getting worked up over the 280 weapons but will still participate in diadem for them.

They knew how this was going to end....

I'm starting to believe they made the weapons i280 on purpose, their expectation is that there is no way any group which isn't a 72-person static can ever actually finish it. It's actually an elaborate troll masquerading as content that can actually be completed.

In terms of cruel experiments in human crowd psychology, this one is really ingenious and sadistic.

iammeiam

I don't know how accurate this post is, but if so:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comm..._weapon_discussion_do_not_create_new/deq6mjb/

Yeah, they don't actually want anyone to get i280 weapons. This is just an experiment to see how much masochism the player base is willing to tolerate.

Tales from Raid Skype:

2ZJ2Tbl.png

I'm kind of curious to see how long he makes it before he gives up. Rare direct inv drop of a weapon that there's no guarantee the recipient can even equip is a stunning confluence of bad ideas that sets a whole new bar for SB.

Diadem Reloaded being The Same Diadem Everyone Quit but now with mandatory fate grinding at the start is also hilarious.

Tales from Raid Skype:

I'm kind of curious to see how long he makes it before he gives up. Rare direct inv drop of a weapon that there's no guarantee the recipient can even equip is a stunning confluence of bad ideas that sets a whole new bar for SB.

Diadem Reloaded being The Same Diadem Everyone Quit but now with mandatory fate grinding at the start is also hilarious.

At first when I read about this I was like oh cool, everyone gets a weapon but it's a random one and the stats are random too. That's not completely barbaric. Hell, it's even how that chest you opened when you killed Original Ifrit 1.0 in FFXIV 1.0 actually worked.

But just as Dark Helmet once famously said: "No, it's not what you think. IT'S MUCH, MUCH WORSE!"

Qvoth

I just want the cute minions.

baby brachiosaurus minion sells quite cheap even though it's new because it's quite common i think, only 300k last night i checked on my server
pegasus colt minion is only 50 spoils which i got in just 2 diadem runs

Lanrutcon

baby brachiosaurus minion sells quite cheap even though it's new because it's quite common i think, only 300k last night i checked on my server
pegasus colt minion is only 50 spoils which i got in just 2 diadem runs

I got in early and sold by baby brach for a cool mil. People trying to get that much right now are pretty much screwed since the market is flooding.

Also got my Pegasus mount in an evening and more materia than I know what to goddamn do with. Battle materia is going to be worth nothing by Monday. Sell sell sell right now if ever plan to.

Jayhawk

9/10 shop; It should be fully justified, but instead crit and vit are just weirdly spaced. Unless that's a pc thing I guess.

Nah, PC version doesn't get weird spacing like that. The Crit/Vit text alignment was the biggest indicator for a poor Photoshop job when I first looked at it. Next was the three secondaries all being 160...

yaffi

One thing that I've always disliked is how challenging solo content is non-existent in this game.

Even in stuff like job quests they need to put a person in there to heal you because jobs aren't really built to function in solo content (I guess healers can just heal forever), just in group stuff with tank/healer/dps.

The chances of getting something like Mushin's Tower for example is 0% because of the way the combat is designed.

I really liked how B&S was built to function solo and in groups. In groups you had support abilities that helped everyone in addition to stuff like being able to coordinate status effects on bosses (seems like every boss is immune to status effects in FFXIV outside of a few in ARR IIRC, I guess they couldn't figure out a way to make it work in the current system).

What I didn't like about B&S was how you were essentially forced to grind a relic weapon as your main weapon. I'd argue that B&S is more final fantasy like since you can make any group comp you want and do whatever just like in the old games where you could choose whatever jobs you wanted for your group and didn't require a dedicated healer.

My dream MMO would be Final Fantasy with Blade and Soul combat and content.

Back in the days I wanted WoW with TERA combat, but this would be great too.

Heavily reducing the GCD would already help a lot.

edit: Stormblood Preorder is ~29€ on GMG. That should do it.

yaffi

You're overexaggerating. A lot of people don't have "super optimum latency" in BnS and still can play just fine.

I admit, it would be unplayable if the latency was ARR 2.0 bad. But then again, it was bad even without action combat.

Ken

ani cancel on warrior was poopy on 150 ms

At least I beat up junghado on warrior and warlock while he was still relevant

Thorgal

Reducing the Gcd massively is never going to happen imo.

If they did it would mean redesigning every single raid and fight currently in the game .

First thing to know is that FF11's level cap remained at 75 for years, spanning several expansions. This was when the game was at its peak. Second thing to know it that FF11 had gear swapping during battle as a game mechanic. You would be wearing one set of gear while building up your TP, switch to something else entirely when performing Weapon Skills, or spells, then revert back to your TP build (as a result your character would often look like a blinking Christmas tree while fighting).

As you could gear swap during combat, you would build your character with a patchwork of pieces of equipment in mind. Some of it was relatively low level, some of it was near level cap. Gear level didn't matter a whole lot like it does in modern MMOs. Some pieces of Artifact Gear that you got from 50 to 60 would still regularly be used at cap (as they had effects that specifically enhanced some of your job strengths, such as Fast Cast). One of the best weapons for BRD for a very long time was a level 17 staff that dropped from a low level Notorious Monster. Most sought-after pieces weren't just stat sticks, they actually had traits that enhanced your skills.

FF11 regularly introduced new types of content that would reward you (usually via drops or quests) with gear that would range from trash to situationally extremely powerful. Gear could drop from Notorious Monsters, BCNMs (basically trials), expansion MSQ (finishing the main story was actually difficult and often rewarded you with a very powerful item) to more elaborate events such as Dynamis, Sky and Sea (two expansion endgame zones with a network of NMs with obscure spawn conditions), Nyzul Isle etc. Some of it was guided, some of it was obfuscated. Some of it was solo while some of it was alliance content. Some pieces of gear were crafted. As such, the pool of gear that was available to you at level 75 kept growing for years. This is horizontal progression. You almost never replaced one piece of gear with a slightly better piece of gear forever.

I really liked the combat for what it was at the time but it definitely was planning-heavy. And Internet connections weren't as good anyway. Being able to chat or make myself a sandwich while building TP on my DRG was nice. FF11 was quite creative with the way it did content, though. I miss that.

You should probably add that getting your first job to 75 took like literally a year. Alot of the stuff was just built to take huge amounts of time. Christ I can remember some times it would take you 15-20 mins to reach the optimal area to kill mobs and youd be pissed off if your group wasnt good enough to chain 5 stuff.
Once you hit level cap the gear you got stayed with you forever, I remember vividly doing the gods in sky with my LS to gear people up. The shorts for monk being used by nearly all classes especially.

Arkeband

Banned
Diadem revamp was always going to suck, I don't know what anyone was thinking. At its core, it's an over-large area revolving around boring health sponge enemies. It's straight up bad design by trying to give people too many things to do. These things should be baked into the actual overworld (and they are!)

It was a waste of development time then and it's a waste now. Let's hope that they don't implement an underwater version for Stormblood.

duckroll

Okay, finished Cape Westwind all the STUPID ASS FILLER QUESTS after that (lol!). I have Castrum Meridianum unlocked. Ready to tackle the final two dungeons!

I'll probably be running them with Hosanna and Dresden in about 10-12 hours from now. We'll be looking to see if we can get another 5 people in on it. Whoever from the GAF FC who is on at around then is free to join us. I'll be watching all the cutscenes and going through the dungeons properly, so don't join in if you don't want to do that. :D

*goes make some stew*

*plays messenger boy*

*/psych*

*kills imperial scouting parties*

:)

Wilsongt

Ran into the diadem last name with some randos.

So... All it is is fates? Really?

Didn't leave with anything of value. Pulled some monk gear from a locked loot item and the only secondary stat was accuracy lol

Reducing the GCD would only work if OGCDs were removed from game, otherwise any job with double weaves would be unplayable above 100ms.

Make everything OGCDs.

Ran into the diadem last name with some randos.

So... All it is is fates? Really?

Didn't leave with anything of value. Pulled some monk gear from a locked loot item and the only secondary stat was accuracy lol

You can trade in useless gear for tokens.

ebil

Diadem revamp was always going to suck, I don't know what anyone was thinking. At its core, it's an over-large area revolving around boring health sponge enemies. It's straight up bad design by trying to give people too many things to do. These things should be baked into the actual overworld (and they are!)

It was a waste of development time then and it's a waste now. Let's hope that they don't implement an underwater version for Stormblood.
I don't necessarily disagree (this should have been something to do in the overworld), but people having higher expectations is perfectly reasonable when the dev team had 15 months to redesign it.

Sylas

I don't necessarily disagree (this should have been something to do in the overworld), but people having higher expectations is perfectly reasonable when the dev team had 15 months to redesign it.
I think by nature of the original design it wasn't ever really going to be great. On paper it sounds like it'd be pretty cool, but two things needed to happen at the very start for it to be interesting.

1) It needed to be built into endgame progression for non-raiders from the start. Not necessarily better, but a different way to get different gear for the people with no interest in Savage. Adding it in later is kind of jarring (or in the case of weapons, fucks everything up).

2) Just make it a more open 24-man alliance instance (or as another poster said, baked into the world itself). Less people to fuck things up and get nasty but keep the spread out nature of goals that can result in a big boss fight at the end. The sheer number of people in there is more frustrating than it is "cool".

I really hope they take a lot of lessons from it for Eureka. It'd suck to get a reskinned version with the same issues.

ebil

I think by nature of the original design it wasn't ever really going to be great. On paper it sounds like it'd be pretty cool, but two things needed to happen at the very start for it to be interesting.

1) It needed to be built into endgame progression for non-raiders from the start. Not necessarily better, but a different way to get different gear for the people with no interest in Savage. Adding it in later is kind of jarring (or in the case of weapons, fucks everything up).

2) Just make it a more open 24-man alliance instance (or as another poster said, baked into the world itself). Less people to fuck things up and get nasty but keep the spread out nature of goals that can result in a big boss fight at the end. The sheer number of people in there is more frustrating than it is "cool".

I really hope they take a lot of lessons from it for Eureka. It'd suck to get a reskinned version with the same issues.
Oh, I do agree. It has a lot of the design issues that plague the game, like nonsense content progression (people have come to accept the alliance raids as DoA content gear wise but that doesn't make it better designed by nature), and fragmented pieces of content that heavily leans on the Duty Finder. It's at least understandable that content progression was always going to be messed up at this point in the patch cycle.

It wasn't ever going to be great for sure, but... I don't know. When you commit to give content a second pass, you at least should give it your best effort? This doesn't look like this team's best effort. Hopefully they learn valuable lessons from it (I feel like I'm saying this way too much) and hopefully it's not too late to make it right for Eureka or whatever their next iteration is.

studyguy

Did Diadem for nearly 6 hours last night.
Not a single EM, the one time I got close, it happened before I got there.

I can't be arsed to worry about 280s when they barely seem to exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom