• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebil

MSQ was reaaaaally predictable (the biggest surprise was
Gosetsu's
personality lol). But well-executed.

And now we wait.

Wazzy

Banned
Kind of underwhelming ending tbh. ARR was much better and the setup was fantastic.

The only things I liked was the
Y'da reveal
and the
battle between Omega and Shinryu
otherwise it felt kind of rushed.

Ah well. Time to wait for Stormblood.

Oh my god no gobdip still is so true. No idea why but lol a11s is pretty terrible that I'd be angry if I didn't raid since it's practically forcing people to raid now. Sure, they can jump into a12s but I'm sure they'll want a 270 weapon.

Wait those are all cash shop? Lol

IvorB

Was the patch today just story?

I think I will stay unsubbed until just before the expac. I think it will go down better after a good break from the game.

You're so hammy, Gosetsu. I like you.

Okay, I didn't predict that the Primal would be
Shinryu. Perhaps I should have with Omega involved, but it seemed remote for Ilberd and his sacrificial lambs to wish for a bloodthirsty dragon instead of Rhalgr. My best guess is that it was a general collective wish for a Calamity to be inflicted on Garlemald, regardless of the form it takes, and the Eyes of Nidhogg have something to do with the dragonic form of this creature? I dunno.

As for that other significant twist with
Yda being dead all along and Lyse taking on the mantle with Papalymo's aid, it's...fine. It's not exactly mind-blowing and was among one of my initial guesses as to the identity of the lady in red.

It felt too short and quiet to be a climax with nothing notable about the last fight, though I'm thinking back to how 2.55 ended and how ham-fisted 3.0 was in trying to undo and mitigate the consequences of that climax. Perhaps it's for the best that it's a quieter climax.

Moaradin

Haven't done the story yet but I'm not really expecting any big climax because we kinda already got that with 3.3 and 3.4. Mostly expecting setup for the next expansion.

CLBridges

That was great! Not to long, not to short, just the right length and setup for SB imo. It leaves me wanting more and now I can't wait for SB.

Stealth new job will be brought out during 4.0, calling it now lol

Zomba13

Story stuff was ok. Some cool stuff, bit short but eh. It's ok as a lead in to Stormblood but not as good as a lead in as 2.55 was.

I'm super annoyed at (primal spoilers)
it being Shinryu and not Rhalgr. I mean, yeah, Shinryu might make sense for a Doman style super raid like Bahamut and Alex but how/why would the Ala Mhigans summon it? When they are all "oh my god help us" with their god being Rhalgr, something some members have already tried to summon before, something they see as being an almighty kicker of asses? Just bugged me because every other summoning makes sense, Ysale into Shiva, Enkidu, Moggle Mog, the beastmen primals. None of them ended up summoning a god/legend from another culture by accident.

ebil

Story stuff was ok. Some cool stuff, bit short but eh. It's ok as a lead in to Stormblood but not as good as a lead in as 2.55 was.

I'm super annoyed at (primal spoilers)
it being Shinryu and not Rhalgr. I mean, yeah, Shinryu might make sense for a Doman style super raid like Bahamut and Alex but how/why would the Ala Mhigans summon it? When they are all "oh my god help us" with their god being Rhalgr, something some members have already tried to summon before, something they see as being an almighty kicker of asses? Just bugged me because every other summoning makes sense, Ysale into Shiva, Enkidu, Moggle Mog, the beastmen primals. None of them ended up summoning a god/legend from another culture by accident.
It's not exactly
a god from another culture. The Domans just saw it, called it Shinryu (which literally means Spirit/God Dragon in Japanese) and everyone (conveniently) ran with the name. The Ala Mhigans and Ilberd essentially wished for another meaner, badder, Bahamut-like calamity to contend with the Empire, and as Alphinaud basically spelled out, Nidhogg's aether did the rest.
I agree that it wasn't super neat like everything else so far but I honestly found it as predictable as anything else
considering Omega was involved

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Was the
omega/shinryuu fight music some weird remix of the FFV battle theme, I'm apparently deaf and couldn't tell.

No, it was The Fractal Continuum/Azys Lla's theme that then segued into a completely new melody that sorta sounds like FFV's The Last Battle but not really?

Omnicent

Watching Gosetsu fight has ramped up my SAM hype even more.
Now to wait for people to analyze his move set (which seems to already be under way).

Valor

giphy.gif

Watching Gosetsu fight has ramped up my SAM hype even more.
Now to wait for people to analyze his move set (which seems to already be under way).

I almost died in that fight because I kept watching his moves. He had some kickass AoE teleportation attack. I hope it's not just a Gosetsu skill.

Arkeband

Banned
That was a pretty hype cutscene. I wonder if some of the effects will be better once Stormblood hits (the water particularly was pretty bad looking).

Also, people hoping it was Rhalgr are silly, has there ever been a precedent for one of the gods being given a corporeal form? Like do we even know if they exist in the first place? "Anything can be a primal" is too broad, there have to be some ground rules.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
No, it was The Fractal Continuum/Azys Lla's theme that then segued into a completely new melody that sorta sounds like FFV's The Last Battle but not really?

Yeah it was the second part of it that sounded sort of like it? If not I'll join everyone else in the disappointed pile.

Omnicent

I almost died in that fight because I kept watching his moves. He had some kickass AoE teleportation attack. I hope it's not just a Gosetsu skill.

It is probably NPC only. It is prefaced with Gosetsu: skill name.
Hopefully we may get a toned down version.

Also they have some things on xiv.db for Iai Shoten which was shown of at Frankfurt.
With it's requirements it will probably hit harder than Decimate (It is a conal AoE from the looks of it).
Hopefully SAM also gets a single-target Iai move cause I need my giant numbers.

June feels so far away.

ebil

That was a pretty hype cutscene. I wonder if some of the effects will be better once Stormblood hits (the water particularly was pretty bad looking).

Also, people hoping it was Rhalgr are silly, has there ever been a precedent for one of the gods being given a corporeal form? Like do we even know if they exist in the first place? "Anything can be a primal" is too broad, there have to be some ground rules.
Rhalgr and Ramuh are heavily hinted to basically be the same god in two different "cultures". A primal is belief (or a wish) made manifest. There's not much more to it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well...that was something. Kind of went over like a wet fart. =/ Couldn't even get an awesome Gotetsu cutscene with Samurai action (similar to when Thancred/Yugiri debuted Ninja).

Come to think of it, that's kind of Heavensward in a nutshell. Started strong and ended at the finish line pretty limp.

they changed studio's .

Ah, that makes sense. It is jarring, I mean most of ARRs voice is pretty shite but you kind of get used to it. Now they all sound super stereotypically English.

--

This game is super different to most mmos ive played, usually im all about hitting max and getting raiding, but I find myself wanting to to PoTD with my NIN, Levelling my Mining to max, slogging through the MSQ with my WAR and just generally dicking about.

I want to get to max to have loads of the stuff unlocked, but I also cant really be arsed to do a billion more MSQ easy run around things either..

Sorian

Banned

If you think we are going to get through all of stormblood with no Rhlagr then lol

Anyway, I see they were binging Dragonball Super this time instead of game of thrones.

Well now,
I had a speculation last patch that Shinryu might of been in that cocoon because of Nidhogg's eyes so you could imagine the sheer magnitude of glee I was in when they revealed him.

Ending was surprisingly short, but I'm okay with it. The set up is fine. Gosetsu was the best part of this patch with is antics.

The fight was so DBZ meets Godzilla I enjoyed it. Also "Yda" finally coming to her own. I look forward for me, Alphy and her to journey to Ala Migho and reunite with Yugiri and Gosetsu in Doma.

Well done Yoshi P and the dev team.

Moaradin

Well...that was something. Kind of went over like a wet fart. =/ Couldn't even get an awesome Gotetsu cutscene with Samurai action (similar to when Thancred/Yugiri debuted Ninja).

Come to think of it, that's kind of Heavensward in a nutshell. Started strong and ended at the finish line pretty limp.

I couldn't disagree more. The patch story was just as good, if not better than the base heavensward story. Especially 3.3 and 3.4. A huge step up in quality compared to the 2.0 patch stuff. The pacing, voice acting (as well as the amount of cutscenes that actually had voice acting), and story was better in every way.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I couldn't disagree more. The patch story was just as good, if not better than the base heavensward story. Especially 3.3 and 3.4. A huge step up in quality compared to the 2.0 patch stuff. The pacing, voice acting (as well as the amount of cutscenes that actually had voice acting), and story was better in every way.

Opinions and all. That's cool. Heavenward just dragged on for me. Some ups but mostly downs.

What was that little tease at the end? Is big bad going to get an "I am your father" moment with Yda?

The focus on the blonde hair is a dead giveaway. So, probably?

TheChaos0

So is there an actual GAF EU Free Company going on or are we all spread across Chaos
data center
...? ;)

I would be quite happy to run one to be a gathering point for EU GAF, if there isn't one. I'm on Shiva, so if anyone is playing on Shiva or wants to start playing PM me for an invite.

Would be a great way for people to do statics, do old content raids and dungeons and just to keep GAFing around.

Moaradin

Finished the story. It was pretty good. Wasn't expecting a big climax since we got that already. Good setup for the expansion.

Liked the
Yda reveal
and the anime as fuck
Omega battle
Gosetsu
is pretty rad and not what I expected lol.

duckroll

So, with Heavensward I switched back to English voice after playing through most of ARR in Japanese because I couldn't stand Minfilia's terrible English voice. Erm. Did everyone just turn British? Lol.

Thorgal

So, with Heavensward I switched back to English voice after playing through most of ARR in Japanese because I couldn't stand Minfilia's terrible English voice. Erm. Did everyone just turn British? Lol.

since you brought it up and since i use JP VA on my alt ive been wondering :

How close is the translation between what is said in Japanese and the English text ?

i know there will be differences regardless as is normal between 2 vastly different languages but on the whole how close does it match ?

I know Koji And the translation team do a great job but i need to satiate my curiosity :D

Anyway ,Welcome to HW !

duckroll

How close is the translation between what is said in Japanese and the English text ?

It's often completely different. Like, not even a translation. Just completely rewritten with a similar context. Lines tend to be much shorter in English too, I suspect due to the recording budget. There's a lot more exposition in Japanese, what they say tend to be more direct and straightforward. Sometimes though... it doesn't even feel like they're talking about the same thing. It's pretty weird.

Qurupeke

Hello. I've just downloaded the trial version to check the game, still on the character making process. Just to make sure, in case I end up subscribing, the GAF guild is on Ultros@Primal, right? Are there any connection issues or lag for EU residents on that server?

It's often completely different. Like, not even a translation. Just completely rewritten with a similar context. Lines tend to be much shorter in English too, I suspect due to the recording budget. There's a lot more exposition in Japanese, what they say tend to be more direct and straightforward. Sometimes though... it doesn't even feel like they're talking about the same thing. It's pretty weird.

wow, that's lame. I wonder if the French localization is like that too. I hope not. I find it great so far.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I didn't like the change back in 3.0 because we lost Gideon Emery as Urianger but the new voices eventually grew on me.

In case anyone is interested this is their official response for the voice changes in 3.0

Gamer Escape: The voice acting in Heavensward… I noticed a lot of NPCs have different voices now and I was wondering why those changes were made?

Soken: It’s a tough question to answer. When we’re thinking of the business of an MMORPG we would love to use the same voice actor throughout the series, but there are contractual obligations and sometimes it doesn’t allow for us to buy the rights to their voice for a perpetual amount of times. Sometimes there are other reasons that might come up and so we would have to sometimes recast the actors that are voicing our NPCs. Our intent is that we want to avoid having to recast them.

This might be because it’s a long running game, it might be out of the ordinary, but if a voice actor decides to leave the industry, it would be inevitable that we would have to recast them.

There are instances where within the development process that we would have to recast and have new actors record voices for certain NPCs. Our stance however is that we’d love to keep as many of them as possible from 2.0 moving forward, continuing to reprise their roles in upcoming expansions and the updates throughout.

Sometimes due to business reasons we have to change the voice actors. From the creative side of things however we want to keep them, it’s not a situation where we don’t like them or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom