• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Did the JPN voice actors change from 2.0 to 3.0 as well? I only switched the voice language to Japanese recently.

Hello. I've just downloaded the trial version to check the game, still on the character making process. Just to make sure, in case I end up subscribing, the GAF guild is on Ultros@Primal, right? Are there any connection issues or lag for EU residents on that server?
Primal datacenter, Ultros server. Yup.

Can't speak to the EU lag.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Did the JPN voice actors change from 2.0 to 3.0 as well? I only switched the voice language to Japanese recently.
IIRC nope! At the time of 3.0 I remember thinking "So we lost our voice actors but the Japanese players get to keep theirs? That's not cool!"

Dresden

been leveling pugilist and it's the first time where I actually liked/gave a shit about any of the characters in a class story. Felt bad when I hit 30 and couldn't do dumb shit for HAMON HOLYFIST and his lala sidekicks anymore. Now I'm getting orders from some nerd and this one dude who gives off weird Highlander vibes.

dramatis

been leveling pugilist and it's the first time where I actually liked/gave a shit about any of the characters in a class story. Felt bad when I hit 30 and couldn't do dumb shit for HAMON HOLYFIST and his lala sidekicks anymore. Now I'm getting orders from some nerd and this one dude who gives off weird Highlander vibes.
The weaver 1-50 quests maybe

With the next expansion, Hamon might get some time in the main story

From what I've played of it, French was extremely close to Japanese.

That's good to hear. I feel like it's a trend in the american localization business to take more liberty with the source text, as opposed to French localizations, which tend to stick closer to its source text without being too literal. I'd like to know what informed this cultural difference.

dramatis

I hope we revisit the class guild leaders.
Nah.

Class guild people I don't really want to see again:
Archer
Lancer
Thaumaturge Boy Band
Conjurer
Astrologian
Marauder
Goldsmith
Leatherworker
Blacksmith
Armorsmith
Culinarian
Botanist
Fisher

People that are chill but don't really need to see:
Redolent Rose
Miner lady
Carpenter Dude
Gladiator
Arcanist

Guild people that are probably better off left alone
Crazy Alchemy Guy
Machinist Guy

Guild people somewhat relevant to Ala Mhigo:
Hamon
The Monk Dummy that I don't really want to see

Thorgal

It's often completely different. Like, not even a translation. Just completely rewritten with a similar context. Lines tend to be much shorter in English too, I suspect due to the recording budget. There's a lot more exposition in Japanese, what they say tend to be more direct and straightforward. Sometimes though... it doesn't even feel like they're talking about the same thing. It's pretty weird.

huh interesting .

i knew things where different because you would have the character say 1 sentence in the text baloon while the JP va had at least 3.

i assumed this was a result of sentences being shifted around since the next text balloon would have at least 3 sentences while the JP va would only have 1 sentence .

I didn't think the difference would be that big though .

could you give a small example perhaps ?

Squishy3

3.56 stuff:

So... just a little anticlimactic. Omega vs Shinryu was cool, but I don't think this patch really carried the weight with it that the banquet in 2.55 did. Gosetsu was really good, though. Looking forward to him in Stormblood. I kinda hope Grynewaht (the guy you fight at Carteneau) is our recurring "jobber" character in Stormblood considering he got away.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
With the Echo surely I could clear a10s now!

*queues into a9s to test it out*
*DRK doesn't know to soak Faust's cleave*

Welp, back to learning parties.

So is Gosetsu a Roe or not? I think he might be half Roe/half Hyur. I mean, he's as big as a Roe, has the emotes of a Roe, but his face is distinctly un-Roe-like.

Also, I feel like a dunce for not ever suspecting the Primal to be Shinryu. Omega vs. Shinryu was good shit.

Oh, and guys realize the English and Japanese scripts/localisations are worked on concurrently, and Koji Fox has even said before that the Japanese script actually will take some influence from the English version?

Squishy3

So is Gosetsu a Roe or not? I think he might be half Roe/half Hyur. I mean, he's as big as a Roe, has the emotes of a Roe, but his face is distinctly un-Roe-like.

Also, I feel like a dunce for not ever suspecting the Primal to be Shinryu. Omega vs. Shinryu was good shit.

Oh, and guys realize the English and Japanese scripts/localisations are worked on concurrently, and Koji Fox has even said before that the Japanese script actually will take some influence from the English version?
They changed the way they do the localization too to insure there aren't any major differences between the JP/NA versions of the game after the differences between Haurchefant in Japanese versus English.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yeah. I was under the impression you hopped into DF on your own there.

Heartfyre

Pretty sure he's just a big Hyur that they slapped onto a Roe mesh.

Overall, he reminds me of King Doric from Dragon Quest Heroes, and that is a great thing.

Cmagus

Just finished up the story and I thought it was pretty good and nice way to end Heavensward. I'm glad to be done with Heavensward anyways it went on for just enough time.

I think he's just what Roes look like in Doma, like Cid and Nero are hyurs from Garlemald.

Eldren

I wish the female version of the new outfit looked as good as the male version. It has a much nicer tie. The ladies' jacket feels awkwardly short and I can't get it to work with my current glamour.

I mean the story was cool and I liked the instance but priorities.

Was expecting a better transition to Stormblood:/

Oh well, also think I may have burned myself out on the game with the anima again, only did like 3 or 4 steps after picking up where I left of last time. I'm at an easy part with these clusters but I don't think I can muster the will to play with persona 5.

Kenai

It's possible there's some Hyur in Gosetsu's blood, but he's definitely a Roe. I play one and he has their distinct run/walk animation you don't see elsewhere. Eorzea is actually fairly isolated from a lot of other locations, so it's likely there's some regional racial differences we don't normally see there that are common elsewhere, and we've never seen a Roe from Doma before.

I am also happy to see that the Roe playing a significant part in Stormblood is interesting. Moe's long gone and the Admiral wasn't likely ti be doing much

The hype for the story continuation in SB isn't as strong as the HW one, but that's fine with me. I don't really need hype, I just want it to be fun, and I'm not really worried about that.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SE: OK, so we have this new NPC to start introducing players to Stormblood. We need you localizers to think of the perfect voice for him.

Localization Team: Say no more...

VLfLywl.png

Kinda funny how i picked up on the VO stuff like a page or two back and only when duckroll mentions it does everyone start posting full blown explanations and digging out all the quotes and stuff ahaha but yeah everyone has gone super British and its pretty jarring. I cna only imagine Gridanias leader is better as christ almighty her VO in ARR was SO SO BAD

Big Chungus

I'm confused about the steam version of the game...

I bought the original in 2013...which gave me access to Realm Reborn (Non-Steam)

Last month I bought the FFXIV: Realm Reborn + Heavensward bundle on Steam for cheap.

How do I redeem the keys for the Steam versions of the game? Will I be able to use my old characters in the Steam version?

Cmagus

All the bird drop rates suck. So far I've seen 1 in 41 Thordan fights, 0 in 32 Sophia and 0 in 19 Sephirot. I just keep thinking I should wait till all mechanics can be skipped like the ponies to save the headache.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm confused about the steam version of the game...

I bought the original in 2013...which gave me access to Realm Reborn (Non-Steam)

Last month I bought the FFXIV: Realm Reborn + Heavensward bundle on Steam for cheap.

How do I redeem the keys for the Steam versions of the game? Will I be able to use my old characters in the Steam version?
You cant, can only do one or the other (Non Steam or Steam) per account but not both. Since your old account already has the non steam version of the game registered youre barred from buying expansions on Steam and wont be able to use your new Steam key on that account.

You'll need to make a new account and start over if you want to register your steam key. Be aware that doing so will lock your account as a Steam account and all future expansions must be purchased directly from Steam where they dont go on sale as often and offer no discount at launch like GMG, Amazon, BB, etc.... On the bright side you'll be able to use your Steam Wallet to fund your sub and purchase items from the cash shop.

Big Chungus

You cant, can only do one or the other (Non Steam or Steam) per account but not both. Since your old account already has the non steam version of the game registered youre barred from buying expansions on Steam and wont be able to use your new Steam key on that account.

You'll need to make a new account and start over if you want to register your steam key. Be aware that doing so will lock your account as a Steam account and all future expansions must be purchased directly from Steam where they dont go on sale as often and offer no discount at launch like GMG, Amazon, BB, etc.... On the bright side you'll be able to use your Steam Wallet to fund your sub and purchase items from the cash shop.

That really...sucks

I have a bunch of collectors editions linked to the same account...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom