• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Announced for PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
tumblr_mo7jjkYl7z1qae53ko1_500.gif
THANK YOU!

Qvoth

Right now, neither FF15 or KH3 are signed on the dotted line exclusive. FF15 was, once upon a time, pretty much expected as SCE were the ones who made the initial approach for that project to be changed to a next generation platform. KH3 was pursued aggressively, and was near enough finalised about a month ago, but since the MS reveal, a fair few things have changed. So, things are on hold right now, and the contract is essentially in the air. However, SCE does have options on exclusive games from SE.

Secondly, people should really disregard this whole Sony co-developing nonsense. I've said before it's exaggerated, and it really is. I'm also quite confident the so called 'sources' of this nonsense rumour are probably derived from a couple PMs of mine back at the end of January. I told a fair few people (one ended up having a meltdown, and then getting banned), and I imagine some went to places like VGLeaks, and then other sites picked up on it later.

Anyhow, game looks really nice. The segments in the building, and the water city with the boats and European/ME architecture are all real time.

just wanna say you're awesome

I wonder if they're going the epic love story route here. I know they don't want to fight and all, which is fine, but it'd be a little too Romeo and Juliet. Tbh I'd like to see it where the protag falls in love with the heroine's sidekick or something, which in Versus..erm XV's case, would probably be really interesting for some BETRAYLATON scenes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The two old people (the part where there's glass everywhere and they speak of Crystals) are so awesome. I love the sinister smirk on the white haired guy.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I dont think development started till like 4 years ago. I believe Kagari and Duckroll have said as much

Yeah, I know what you mean. By the same token, XIII was only in development for for 1.5 years.

But still: what's wrong at Square Enix that it took 3 years to get started? This, in a world where, say, Ubisoft can crank out a polished Assassin's Creed a year after the last.

And 4 years still isn't short....

What's with every character in Final Fantasy since FF7 looking like they're a Japanese host or a member of a visual kei band?

O3futnr.png

2684799152_ec22eb5b60.jpg

Even the damn kid in that trailer had his hair made up like that.

Kesagiri

There seems to be some sort of contrast with the characters on opposite sides.

Noctis and Stella - Protagonists
Noctis' dad and old guy - Kings
Gladiolus and red haired guy - Meatheads
Promto and black haired lass - Best friends of the protagonists? Around the same age, at least.
Ingis and the other old guy - Strategists?
Brown haired guy and hood guy - Mystery characters

Just spitballing my thoughts :p

My guess is that they're going for a Romeo and Juliet dynamic between Noctis and Stella.
As in their families are on opposing sides of the war.

What's with every character in Final Fantasy since FF7 looking like they're a Japanese host or a member of a visual kei band?

O3futnr.png

The fact that they are actually modelled after visual kei artists and hosts?

edit: How much does Haru cost per hour?

Shinta

Banned
I don't know how I feel about the fact that a game in development for 7 years looks to redeem this series.

On the one hand, those of us who made Versus the butt of a joke should eat a certain measure of crow.... Now that it's emerged, it looks amazing. Quality takes time.

But on the other hand.... It takes 7 years to make a game in HD fidelity that genuinely supports our greatest dreams for FF? That's kind of sad. I hope I don't have to wait another 7 years for the next FF masterpiece (if indeed, that's what this is).

Hoping lessons were learned that makes development for this series more timely in the future.

I don't think they started full development until 2011. And they remade ARR completely in 2 years.

Luminous engine will make development even faster.

FlyFaster

This actually looks interesting and could get me back in the series.

real time battles ala crisis core intrigues me greatly.

Verendus

Banned
Yeah, I know what you mean. By the same token, XIII was only in development for for 1.5 years.

But still: what's wrong at Square Enix that it took 3 years to get started? This, in a world where, say, Ubisoft can crank out a polished Assassin's Creed a year after the last.

Crystal Tools failure, FFXIII management disaster, FF14 apocalypse (lol), all messed up a lot of things for them. Poor preparation, and then one bad move after another which led to everything being delayed. They're off to a much better start this time so hopefully their plans don't mess up now either.

Edit:

Also, original Stella design is still the best design. She looked more sharp. The new one isn't quite as distinct.

O3futnr.png

The kid was Noctis as a kid...

Thr game so far looks very set piece heavy buy that's just thr trailer. I'm loving how classic FF beasts are injected into a more real life world Behemoth just roaming around? Sure why not! Iron Giant? Of course! I'll re watch this video again in HD. Some great visuals overall (facial animations are iffy).

BocoDragon

O3futnr.png

I agree that is the style of the dude, here.

I disagree that it's "every character in FF".

There have been a bunch of diverse characters in games like X, XII and XIII... they put in a lot of designs somewhere between Asian and Western styles, and you gotta accept that a lot of them will look like that Japanese style.

Kyon

Banned

remember they took the Versus team and had them help make XIII for a while

Nomura's designs can be quite samey to a lot of people. Almost always attractive even if he tries to make them ugly. You'll find a character of his that you will like eventually

His FFVII work is his most different I guess.

Kyon

Banned
Nomura's designs can be quite samey to a lot of people. Almost always attractive even if he tries to make them ugly. You'll find a character of his that you will like eventually

His FFVII work is his most different I guess.

who would want ugly characters tbh

Also i think Noct's design is perfection and no male FF boy expect in this game could ever

Yeah, I hope that this and KH3 marks the beginning of Square getting more comfortable with HD development, getting their internal affairs in order and developing quality games in a more timely manner. Not announcing weird concepts like Fabula Nova, before any development started, completely lacking focus and vision like they admitted with XIII, and having to completely rename Versus and Agito.

Square seemed to go through such a rough patch this gen, now that Wada's gone, hopefully they can get back to their former glory.

Pennywise

Nick Accordino ‏@Nikoro 4h

Btw, the Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts trailers made me so, f'ing happy.

Eric R. Miller Eric R. Miller ‏@Eric_R_Miller 4h

@Nikoro word on if those are exclusive to PS4?

Nick Accordino Nick Accordino ‏@Nikoro 4h

@Eric_R_Miller Stay tuned! 3rd party should be able to answer that.

BocoDragon

Yeah, I hope that this and KH3 marks the beginning of Square getting more comfortable with HD development, getting their internal affairs in order and developing quality games in a more timely manner. Not announcing weird concepts like Fabula Nova, before any development started, completely lacking focus and vision like they admitted with XIII, and having to completely rename Versus and Agito.

Square seemed to go through such a rough patch this gen, now that Wada's gone, hopefully they can get back to their former glory.

I want to believe.

Reyne

So uh, that's ironic. A title named versus XIII is never coming out after all. Oh well. As for the trailer itself, I am not sure what I am looking at sometimes. I just feel sort of alienated watching it, thinking, 'well this is the future of Final Fantasy.'

who would want ugly characters tbh

Also i think Noct's design is perfection and no male FF boy expect in this game could ever

I don't but ugly people exist in real life if you get my point. And other games too. FF doesn't really have any ugly character in a roster. Obviously it's down to opinion but generally speaking, when Nomura is concerned the characters are very much attractive looking. I'm not complaining, mind but I know it bothers some.

Sweenix

Banned

I hope it's exclusive to the PS4 :p

Apoptomon

I'm liking what I've seen here. Not-Venice looks very good architecture/art direction wise. Leviathan was a nice surprise too.

So now that it's been 'relaunched', should we be expecting more frequent updates/news than over the past few years? It must be reasonably close to end of development by now, right?

Shinta

Banned
I'm liking what I've seen here. Not-Venice looks very good architecture/art direction wise. Leviathan was a nice surprise too.

So now that it's been 'relaunched', should we be expecting more frequent updates/news than over the past few years? It must be reasonably close to end of development by now, right?

Well, might as well let the console it's coming out on get released first. They'll probably update everyone tomorrow. They have a whole press event dedicated to the future of the series.

Ezi0

Do you guys think SE will announce them as exclusive? Isn't that future of Final Fantasy event later today?

Famassu

I wonder if they're going the epic love story route here. I know they don't want to fight and all, which is fine, but it'd be a little too Romeo and Juliet. Tbh I'd like to see it where the protag falls in love with the heroine's sidekick or something, which in Versus..erm XV's case, would probably be really interesting for some BETRAYLATON scenes.
Versus isn't supposed to have an epic love story, it's more about Noctis and his relationship with friends. Not to say Noctis won't have a love interest in the game, but it won't be a focus in the game, not in the scope of games like FFX's Tidus <3 Yuna or XIII's Snow <3 Serah where it's a huge driving force of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom